test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Science Captain

glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
Hi peeps

I have a science captain who sucks at ground combat compared with my engineer and my tac.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Nanite Health Monitor is a great way to pre-heal yourself and your companions. If you have a science doff, you can craft them a level III manual or buy I and II. With 2 people casting it that's a good number of healing charges on standby.

Exothermic / Endothermic (Winter event) are nice openers.

Use your debuffs like dampening field.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    there are a bunch of non-class specific kit upgrades you can get now. Some of them might give you some damage and offense instead of the science heals/debuffs that are so common (a couple are nice to have but you need offense too). I havent looked in a while, but that might help kill things.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Two skills I never leave home without: Electro-Gravitiv Field and Exothermic Induction Field. It's basically a Web/Entangle Spell and a Fireball. Ideal combination. Also good with Tricorder Scan.

I also recommend Nanite Health Monitor as a previous poster.

I always forgot half my science captain abilities, admittedly, like the Nanite Infestation thingy.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Thanks for the info. I will deffo have to remember the Nanite Health Monitor.

Strangely enough, one of my other captains has just picked up the Electro-Gravitiv Field. I will have to transfer it over.

The science Captain does seem very weak on the ground, even when compared with my engineer.
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    science captains on ground usually do control and are the field medics meaning they can help deal with thinning the hoard as well as making move where ya want em or they can be the thing that saves your team from death or bring ya back from death. if ya go the medic route id advise lookin at the terran reps sci kit module since it is an AoE res that you can use even away from people.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    On my Scis I run Nanite Health, Triage, and Vascular regenerator for my heals. Offensively, I run Endothermic field and Hyperonic radiation...

BOff wise, I run a semi-generic Tac, a "fortification" engineer, another "healer" Sci and a "debuffer" Sci. As long as the fortification BOff stays up, we tend to mow through most "content" fairly easily. Others have had success swapping one of the Scis out for another engineer - the second one of the mine/debuff variety...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    famiredofamiredo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I'm weird because I enjoy playing science captain more than the other professions. Although, it is fun to watch tactical captains summons a battalion of security officers and clean house in pve queues. And engineers with their useful shield.

For basic heals, there are quick charging/low cooldown abilities like vascular regenerator and medical tricorder. I have them keybinded together. Way easier than point and click or looking for which quickbar number I slotted them into.

You get tricorder scan for free at early level. It gives damage resistance debuff to enemies. Also has a chance to expose (ripe for exploit attack). There are other basic kit abilities that can reduce damage resist and expose. Use them for that and crowd control.

This is just my lowly opinion. The above posters has already given you good recommendations.
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Here is a solution for your tactical, engineer and also science class character.

Player-oriented solutions
    • Get yourself the universal kit modules from the Herald and Na'kuhl lockboxes respectively. Solar Gateway, Overcharge Turret and Mass Gravimetric Detonation as well as Biotoxin Injection and Crawler Swarm. You do not have to use them all at the same time but it leaves you with options and a multirole purpose.
    • Get either or both the Herald or the Delta Expedition kit (holder). Having both gives you more options. For the Herald kit you could pick the mods [KPerf][Weapon][+Ap] <-- whichever energy type you use, and for the Delta Expedition you can go with [KPerf][Weapon][CritD] <-- or CritH or CritX (combo) based on what you may need. KPerf stands for Kit Performance and boosts your kit modules in terms of duration and damage (among many things) etc.
    • Get a full Omega set for the CritH and CritD bonuses as well the Dodge (40% by default) which works splendidly with crouching for additional 50% dodge as well the Commando specialization (crouched healing and aim etc.).
    • Get a long range AOE based weapon as your main armament. For example, the Lobi Herald staff, antiproton split rifle or the Romulan plasma wide beam rifle (exchange or from the flotilla. A romulan player can spawn you there). The herald staff is one of the very best AOE weapons mostly because its primary firing mode can chain or arc. The Romulan plasma wide beam rifle is better than the split rifle because its secondary fire can hit 5 targets as opposed to 3, and it has a 35 degree cone as opposed to 25.

Bridge Officer oriented solutions
    • Get yourself 4 engineer bridge officers. Teach them all the same and all tiers of engineering abilities for multirole purposes. Also teach them the the Intelligence and Command specialization and give them all the same of tier 1 abilities. Their combo of abilities may look as following: [Resonant Tachyon Stream I][Shield Generator Fabrication I][Quantum Mortar Fabrication I][Turret Fabrication III].
    • Give them all long range rifles like the Romulan plasma wide beam rifle for the same given reasons under player-oriented solutions.
    • Give them one of the reputation sets like the Omega for major team buff of CritH and CritD, as well the dodge bonuses.
    • Get yourself the Duty Officers that enhance fabrications because these DOFFs also affect your engineer bridge officers.

With this type of ground team you will melt anything regardless of your class.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Tachyon Harmonic is another good one for most enemies. It's that power the Breen like to use that damages shields and might knock. Zap an enemy with it then shoot them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Exothermic is a lot of fun, expecially with a gravimetric field - it's also got a panic effect. (If you can get Delta Rep, there's a better version of hyperonic radiation that improves Exothermic's recharge)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!