test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this normal for these shields?

captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User

On one of my toons I have Hyper-capacitor Shield Array MK XIV Cap X4 REG. now according to the tooltips these shields have 819.1 Regen every 6 seconds. However, when I look at my stats for the ship it says 0 shield regen. These stats are taken in a solar system so I know that's not the issue. The Capacity of these shields is 22,830 according to ship stats. I've used these shields on several toons and ALWAYS have the same problem as follows: Shields are great first few enemy groups, however once they start to get low they never come back. At times it seems that even using EMPTS 2 or 3 just doesn't do much of anything. I've run Argala against the Kazon (lol) and had to keep an eye on the shields even with the enormous capacity.
So lets strip away the idea that the enemies are using shield killers, and so on and so forth, and get to the bottom line: Why does the Ship Stat Screen say 0 regen yet the tooltips say 819 regen?

If this turns out to be a stupid question and im completely missing something about these shields, feel free to tell me. If this is a legit thing, and other have run into it, then id be glad to post the screenshot into a bug report. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the shields themselves. This doesn't FEEL like a display issue,, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

EDIT: I wanted to post a screenshot, however I don't use Imgur or whatever the site is to post pictures. So I guess you'll just have to take my word for it B)
Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
The Devils Henchman

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    23000 /800 = 28.
    28 * 6 = 168.
    ... so if you stop being shot you need almost 3 min to regen those shields.

If your power is too low, your regen is reduced I think; IIRC your 800 value is @ 100 power.

Have you sat still for 3 min after being shot to near zero and watched them? This, by the way, is a great reason to go for high cap shields and use officer healing to get em back.
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    It is also very helpful to redistribute your shields to all facings from time to time. Otherwise it takes one facing a lot of time to recover. I suggest linking that distribution to the space bar (as well apart from attacking). That way you can do two tasks at once.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Have you allocated any points to your Shield Restoration and Shield Regeneration skills? The most important of the two is restoration since it boost the amount of shields restored by ST and EPtS. Regeneration increases passive shield regeneration a little bit. Most people do not find it very useful since restoration can restore more shields especially if you dump some points into Engineering and Scientific Readiness to reduce the cooldown on engineering and science abilities.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Do you stats still show 0 in combat for these, after you take some hits?
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    noroblad wrote: »
    you need almost 3 min to regen those shields.

Yup, natural shield regen is a joke in STO.

• Options
    necaradan666necaradan666 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    just wanted to say putting shield distribution on spacebar with fire weapons is a terrible idea, it breaks weapon firing cycles and absolutely kills your dps
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    just wanted to say putting shield distribution on spacebar with fire weapons is a terrible idea, it breaks weapon firing cycles and absolutely kills your dps

It sure can mess things up a bit. But unless you're a min-maxer, you won't notice. And getting shield distribution at least a bit regularly is a very good starting point for many beginner players (evn better with iconian gear two-piece set bonus that adds a heal to distro).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Well, thanks for all the answers and suggestions, however I still haven't found the answer to what I specifically am asking.
    Under the STATS section of the ship it says Shield Regen 0/-s. Which to me means that the shield has 0 regenerative capability. NO other shields that I put on this ship say 0 Regen. I have put several points into shield regen, and shield capacity, as well as selected several traits that give passive bonuses to shields. I am very conscience of my shields on all my toons.
    The problem I'm having with these shields, besides the 0 regen stat is they seem to be WORSE than shields with much lower capacity! If I hit a group of baddies these shields will usually last about 1.5 groups, then start to fade. Once the fading gets to a certain point, I hit EMPTS 2 or 3 depending on the build, and almost nothing seems to happen. Now someone I mentioned this too suggested that because the shields have such high capacity, using EMPTS 2 or 3 will not affect them as much as the lower capacity shields, which I understand. BUT, when I take a ship into the SAME mission with the SAME # of baddies, and have shields with almost half the capacity of these hyper capacity shields, they don't need to be maintained almost at all, other than the occasional EMPTS to get them back to max level.

So I'm asking.. are these shields junk? Am I completely missing something? Is it a display bug? I just haven't been able to find the answers I am looking for.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    From the sound of your testing and such alone, and going solely off that, it sounds like a bug and that the shields actually do not regen. We can't tell. What you need to do is get out of combat after killing a wave and check to see if they regen after a while. This might mean sitting for quite some time. The other thing to check is max out your shield power to see if it changes.

All shields should have SOME regen if you have 100 shield power or better. I think they should all have SOME regen even if you had 15 shield power. It should never "really" be zero. And again, the only way I know to test that is to get shot, splatter the enemy, mouse over the shield face, and watch the values for a while.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sounds like something for PvP testing. :)

The Hypercap shield has a significant downside that isn't immediately obvious. A lot of other shields have a damage reduction effect: 10/15/20% reduced energy damage done to the shield. 10% reduction makes a 9000 point shield last as long as a 10000 point shield with no reduction.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg