test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Skills system: Give us our preview back.

gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
This is the one thing holding it back from being an improvement.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    valoreah wrote: »
    According to Borticus it's not going to happen. It's more effort than it's worth in terms of programming.

Let me get this straight, it's THAT difficult to program a simple preview feature LIKE WE ALREADY HAD IN THE OLD SYSTEM?!

Sorry major eye roll here.

If thats the case, change the broken respec system to something which has an EC or dill cost.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Then why they did change the old system? - with the preview it worked actually better than this one.
    So much work to program something that works worse than the existing (alright so it was not perfect,
    but the new one is: new, without preview and players are forced to rush it - because of the Featured Episode and daily patches).
    If you do something - do it right!
  • tryptophan286tryptophan286 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I agree, not having a preview is a step back. I have not even reassigned points yet. I want to see it before I commit. This is such a big change they should have allow unlimited respect for 1 week, so we can test these out. Then lock it down. I prefer the old system.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, it's THAT difficult to program a simple preview feature LIKE WE ALREADY HAD IN THE OLD SYSTEM?!

Again, according to Borticus, yes,it is a difficult piece of programming that would require a lot more work than they feel it's worth.

@valoreah, you're giving away misinformation.

When Borticus said that it was too much time to program, it was in reference to getting the skill system out on schedule, not that they would never do it. Everything the devs do requires time to schedule out. It's kind of like PvP where the devs say they want to work on it, but can never find time in the schedule where they can work on it. Besides, is it that much of a deal to use an external site to set up what you want then translate it over to the skill tree? Or better yet, tribble?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, using an external skill planner(even if it was simply typing things into notepad) was always better than the in-game powercart anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    there are a number of different skill planners out there if you want to experiment and all you need to do is copy your finished build into the actual skill system when you are happy.
    there are as many players who are quite happy with the new system the way it is as there are unhappy so I guess it depends on your point of view.
    alternatively you can copy a build from one of the many that are bound to spring up, I already copied my builds from the DPS league site.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• excalibur37excalibur37 Member Posts: 17 Arc User

Again, according to Borticus, yes,it is a difficult piece of programming that would require a lot more work than they feel it's worth.

@valoreah, you're giving away misinformation.

When Borticus said that it was too much time to program, it was in reference to getting the skill system out on schedule, not that they would never do it. Everything the devs do requires time to schedule out. It's kind of like PvP where the devs say they want to work on it, but can never find time in the schedule where they can work on it. Besides, is it that much of a deal to use an external site to set up what you want then translate it over to the skill tree? Or better yet, tribble?

In the Dev Webcast a couple of weeks ago, Borticus also said that the free respecs on Tribble would continue to be around for an unspecified number of weeks (at least a month) for just this reason. If you copy your character over to Tribble, you can respect on the new system to your hearts content until you come up with something you're ready to bring to Holodeck.
  • lillihennylillihenny Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    A reset button too hard to program. But buy this respec thingie and boom: they magically reset! Just how stupid do you think we are?
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Then why they did change the old system? - with the preview it worked actually better than this one.
    So much work to program something that works worse than the existing (alright so it was not perfect,
    but the new one is: new, without preview and players are forced to rush it - because of the Featured Episode and daily patches).
    If you do something - do it right!

Best Revamp EVER and We players love It dino1-1.gif​​
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    yeah, using an external skill planner(even if it was simply typing things into notepad) was always better than the in-game powercart anyways.

Makes no difference. the new system is too prone to mistakes while entering your selections, regardless of whether you plan it out or not.

• borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Honestly guys, this is Cryptic. It's all about bilking people for money. What part of that do you not understand. They want you to waste a spec or two and have to pay cash to respec. Duh...
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

Makes no difference. the new system is too prone to mistakes while entering your selections, regardless of whether you plan it out or not.

I copied a ground & space skill set into 6 characters without error.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    you guys do realize the last thread howling about this topic got locked and someone banned right?
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    you guys do realize the last thread howling about this topic got locked and someone banned right?
    Yep! Reading comprehension.
This discussion has been closed.