test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Skills System - Pretty Cool

chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
After running through a few toons with the new skill system, I'm a fan. I think it's laid out a lot better, a lot clearer what everything does. I like all the little visual notes too, like the tac/eng/sci bar at the bottom. It's neat to compare my toons to see how they balance out, skills wise.

I didn't find anything too annoying locked behind the special unlocks. Maybe it was a little heavy on the shuttles-versus-something, but otherwise I thought it was pretty good.

All in all, I'm pleased. I think it makes a lot more sense. I've been playing for a good 2 years now, so I was plenty familiar with the old system. But even with that, I can see that the new system is a lot cleaner, a lot clearer, and a lot more logical. Should really help new players a lot, I'd think. And even for older players, there was something to it that was nice.

Nice stuff!

Comments

• Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Adding a free respec chance = very nice. Thank you for listening!
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    I know, eh? That worked out pretty well - haven't had to use it yet, but I haven't tested my new builds that much.

That said, and I've seen this echoed elsewhere, I think my ships are actually more powerful stats-wise now. Seems you can really max out nicely with the new system.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I had my doubts but that has changed. I did my first build yesterday on my main Fed Tac guy. Some what copied it to my KDF Tac alt, she did very well in the alerts too. I haven't tested my Rom which is a Tac and two of my fed (1 Eng/ 1 Sci) alts. Over all, good job Dev's!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    The only reservation I have is with the skills for hangar pets, because my main tac captain has a fleet carrier that I bought because way, way back I bought a couple of elite scorpion fighters, and I cannot justify putting some skill points into an area that I'm only going to use some of the time.

The only change I'd like is to have 50 points to play with instead of 46. Just a few more points would make all the difference.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    And with a few points less you could still roflstomp the content. Embrace the challenge and the possibility that your build won't be exactly like everyone else's :).
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Annoying at best; BTW, it should not be possible to use a Repec token if the skills tray is already a blank slate! I have only done respec once before, and with the new format, did not realize that I should be "buying" each skill first, then using the respec only if I felt that I did not get the result I wanted. So, thinking that I needed to click on the respec first, I wasted a free respec.
    Thanks for all the help, Cryptic, in making such a fundamental change with absolutely no explanation of the mechanics... :s
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    Annoying at best; BTW, it should not be possible to use a Repec token if the skills tray is already a blank slate! I have only done respec once before, and with the new format, did not realize that I should be "buying" each skill first, then using the respec only if I felt that I did not get the result I wanted. So, thinking that I needed to click on the respec first, I wasted a free respec.
    Thanks for all the help, Cryptic, in making such a fundamental change with absolutely no explanation of the mechanics... :s

They explained it almost in full during a livestream, released multiple news posts on it, and left it available on Tribble for experimentation for about a month. There can be an argument that they maybe didn't give quite enough or exactly the type of explaination you wanted... but there wasn't a lack of it. You just needed to actually look and follow.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The only reservation I have is with the skills for hangar pets, because my main tac captain has a fleet carrier that I bought because way, way back I bought a couple of elite scorpion fighters, and I cannot justify putting some skill points into an area that I'm only going to use some of the time.
    AFAIK that also boosts other combat pets too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Sorry its got a fatal flaw which I'm very surprised more people aren't even noticing.

YOU ARE FORCED TO PURCHASE AND CONFIRM EACH POINT SEPERATELY.

fix this massive glaring mistake.
    it is underhanded and quite frankly dishonest to force us to purchase each point separately instead of a finalized set up purchase.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am not sure what you think is "underhanded and dishonest" about it? It's mostly a question of (lack of) convenience if you redo a build. It's probably irrelevant if you purchase skills as you level up.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I am not sure what you think is "underhanded and dishonest" about it? It's mostly a question of (lack of) convenience if you redo a build. It's probably irrelevant if you purchase skills as you level up.

Its designed to encourage mistakes to sell more respec tokens. I'll also remind you that not all of us are new players who are currently leveling up, and that the build you use while leveling up may very well not be the one you want to use at max level.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, but you don't need to spend all the points all at once.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg