test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meaning behind your ship's name and registry number

Comments

• unclespankyunclespanky Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    My main ship is the U.S.S. Larashkail named after the Andorian goddess of war.
    All my others are named after astronauts. I don't care much about registry numbers, I just take the default.
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    My "main" ship is U.S.S. Victrix (feminine form of "victor") because "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.", it's a historical reference and I always thought it would be a great name for a ship. Her registration number is all 7's because I can be a little superstitious.

One alt has all his sci ships named for various scientists, inventors and explorers that aren't quite famous because his first one was randomly named U.S.S. Pallas and I thought of this guy. (Ok, the latest ship,U.S.S. Curie, is a famous name, but not really on par with, say, Einstein or Edison.)

I usually don't bother with meaningful names for non-Feds, although some dog-latin for "Victor" would work for Roms too, I guess.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Well registry numbers don't mean diddly squat to me. However, ship names do matter. On my main (Shea) all of her ships are named for sci-fi authors I enjoy.

I.E. Chris Claremont, William Gibson, Larry Niven, David Drake to name but 4.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur -- "Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound".
    Now, I don't care who you are, that is funny!
    newstosiggy.png
  • tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    My Breen Rezreth Dreadnought Cruiser: U.S.S. J.A. ZOIDBERG (Because it looks like a lobster... FUTURAMA reference)

My Krenim Science Vessel: U.S.S. Emmett L. Brown (um...time ship... Doc Brown...)

My APU Cruiser: Automata (From a comic strip by Penny Arcade, https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/story/automata )

My Obelisk Carrier: FORTYTWO Reg # 101010 (Because I had to)

My Mirror Assault Cruiser: I.S.S. KEBERT XELA (Family Guy reference, was going to use 3M TA3, but didnt want to get in trouble)

My T6 Exploration Cruiser: U.S.S. LEROY JENKINS (LEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOY jenkins!!!)

My explanation for my oddly-named fleet. :smiley:

• tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    The theme naming for mine ended once I hit level 50, but it followed something like the OP, with increasing registry letter suffixes for different vsersions of the ship.

USS Siskiyou (Galaxy-class, T4)
    USS Siskiyou-A (Sovereign-class, T5)
    USS Siskiyou-B (Regent-class, T5)
    USS Siskiyou-C (Fleet Assault Cruiser, T5)
    USS Siskiyou-D (Fleet Assault Cruiser, T5u)

The ship name comes from my home county, a rural place similar the the Andorian provinces in which I envision the character to have been raised.
  • xanderkentxanderkent Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    My primary ships are named after the space shuttles with their registry numbers being the orbiter numbers
    If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • xanderkentxanderkent Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    USS Columbia NX-900102
    USS Challeger NX-900099
    USS Discovery NCC-900103
    USS Atlantis NX-900104
    USS Endevour NCC-900105
    I also names a ship after the the tanker that took out one side of the original Sky way bridge in Tampa Florida and the registry after the year.
    USS Summit Venture NCC-1980
    If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • deadtessadeadtessa Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    My ship names are generally applicable to the character. For instance, all of my science officer ships are named after famous historical scientists (USS Darwin, etc). One of my engineers who only uses big nasty cruisers has all of her ships named after mythical beasts (USS Chimera, USS Leviathan, etc). My most recent engineer has a more varied naming scheme. Her ships are named after whatever struck me at the time, with one exception... I was working the entire time I played the character to obtain a carrier. It was my very fist carrier that I had ever played with any character. Since I am a HUGE Battlestar Galactica fan (the remake, not the original), I just had to name my carrier The USS Galactica. I also use the darkest most bare metal looking skin and color scheme so that it has a similar appearance to the Galactica as well. It makes me smile. :)

As for Registration numbers... they don't matter too much for me. I either leave them at the default or put them all sequential to the character.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I don't stick to a naming scheme typically. I do name a lot of my ships for cars that I like. Mostly Fords but sometimes Hondas/Acuras (like USS Torino and the USS Integra). Sometimes I use names of teachers that were interesting to me.

I randomly name Romulan ships because I don't understand the limited rules for the Romulan language. I translate random things that strike me into Klingon to name my KDF ships like IKS moH Ha'DIbaH (IKS ugly animal). I'm not even sure if the translator works all that well but thats perfectly fine for me.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    My main ship is the U.S.S. Freelancer, named after one of my favorite old games.
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    U.S.S. Armfelt NCC 91875. Swedish General that was born in 1875
    21ajpqt.png
  • adearladder#3311 adearladder Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    USS Dear Ladder, registry 1234567, because why put thought into this?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    most of my toons have cornish-breton names, (because it is my culture) so their ships have cornish-breton or gaelic names. the others have sumerian/akkadian/babylonian names or aztec names. my pseudonym is a modification of the name of the Assyrian king Sennacherib.
  • mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Well let's see....my T6 Galaxy Dreadnought is named USS Love and Justice, aand I went with a classic-esque registry of NCC-91701-D ~-~º(^_^)ºv~-~ I also have the UNSC Autumn (my T6 Astika), USS Pretty Guardian (T6 Guardian, obvi :P), and my Terran Danube IS named....you guessed it, ISS Mini Moon.
    Post edited by mooncrystalpower on
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    My main commands a Nebula-class vessel named after James Cook's ship Endeavour, the registry contains the date "1771" as that was the year she returned home after her expedition to Australia. I will say my favourite ship name is my main tactical captain's ship, an Odyssey-class starship named Entreprenante. She was a Royal Navy cutter captured from the French during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. The only ship ever in the fleet with that name, she had a pretty interesting career.
    Post edited by amosov78 on
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • brad2240brad2240 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    On my main, a Fed Engineer, I named my ships after my favorite actresses. So my roster includes: the Kate Beckinsale; the Zoe Saldana; the Jamie Alexander; and my main ship, a Yamato-class Dreadnaught, is the Gina Carano (because she's sexy and packs a punch). B)

My second toon, a Fed Tactical, I named the ships after gods. So I have the Hermes; the Athena; the Apollo; the Hera; and my main ship is an Arbiter named the Ares.

My Romulan I named T'Suko, after my favorite character Matsu Tsuko from the Legends of the Five Rings CCG and RPG setting, if any of you are familiar with that. So her ships are named after the families of the Lion Clan in that setting: the Kitsu; the Ikoma; the Akodo; and a Morrigu-class warbird named the Matsu.

My Fed Sci captain I don't really have a theme for. However, when I was overhauling my bridge officers I unintentionally picked up almost all female Boffs. So, since my captain is female, I decided to run with it and go for an all-female crew. I promptly renamed my Pathfinder the Amazonia.
  • jonharmonjonharmon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Most of my ship names have a Civil War theme and I try to keep them at least somewhat realistic. So I started off on the light cruiser USS Chancellorsville (which is an actual Aegis cruiser in the US Navy). I've also had the USS Richmond, the USS Semmes (named for Raphael Semmes, captain of the Confederate raider CSS Alabama) and my beloved Excelsior-class and its refit were both the USS John S. Mosby, who was a Confederate cavalry raider known for quick strikes and operating behind Union lines. It seemed fitting for an old warhorse of a ship.

My Odyssey Operations Cruiser, seeing as how it's one of the biggest ships in Starfleet, was, of course, the USS Robert E. Lee. And my current T6 Exploration Cruiser (Andromeda) is the USS Matthew Maury, one of the leading oceanographers of the 19th century and a fellow native Virginian.

As for the numbers, meh. The older the design, the lower the number. :smile:
  • reamer2013reamer2013 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    With 12 toons I have a number of naming conventions.

The Krenim Science Vessels are each given the name of a month. Another ship line across 12 toons of different factions were named on variants from the zodiac.

With three ship bundles like CBCs I stick to groups of three names per toon. So, for example my main flew at various times U.S.S. Hanford, U.S.S. Oak Ridge and U.S.S. Los Alamos. (all US nuclear research facilities). Piot ships were named after Kirk and Picard's sexual conquests.

Romulan toons generally have ship names which sound like they might have been Latin in origin.

Earlier on with Fed toons I chose a theme and stuck with it. My main tended towards tanks so he got ship names like U.S.S. Stalwart or Imperturbable or the like. My sci got ship names related to solitude U.S.S. Hermit etc

My favourite though was how I named my bank toon's ships. U.S.S. Woftam, Charlie Fox, REMF to give examples.
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    My main ship, the USS Manifest Destiny was named after the ship I used in an old Star Trek forum RPG that ended a long time ago, though that ship had the registry NCC 84027, and since I couldn't go with that number in STO I opted for the next best thing: NCC 94027-A. The number had no real meaning at the time; I picked it because it was a late model number and the RPG was set immediately following the dominion war.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    U.S.S Atropos. Yorktown class.
    Named after the Three Moirai (Fates) of Greek myth. Atropos was inflexible, inevitable and chose the death and final destiny and cut the thread of life measured and woven by her sisters, Clotho and Lachesis.

NCC-93305-A. Purely because 93305 was the random number given to me when I received my first Odyssey class ship, the Atropos NCC-93305. So she's the second of her line.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    One of my characters is from an ocean world (alien type), KDF. And all of his normal ships are named after bodies of water, rivers, lakes, etc. from here on Earth to fit the theme him being from an ocean world.
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    One of my characters is from an ocean world (alien type), KDF. And all of his normal ships are named after bodies of water, rivers, lakes, etc. from here on Earth to fit the theme him being from an ocean world.

And is your portrait that character from the ocean world?
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Nope, the character portrait is the first character I created in Star Trek Online. Sometime within the next couple of days or so I'll update my forum signature with pics of each of my characters in game.

I'll post the in-game bio for the character in my pic in the other thread later today or this weekend.

Actually, I have bio's written for all of my STO characters.
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I'm sure there will be more commenters to come whose posts will inspire other readers with ideas of their own. Some have already given their shoutouts. Here is mine, albeit more specific.

I'd like to give a shoutout to commenters who have given me pause and allowed me to fix some canon Star Trek discrepancies with my theme, or add to the theme.

@kurumimorishita, I thanked already. Reminded me to select a ship motto.
    @nikephorus, for reminding me what the letter designation after the registry number indicates.
    @hypl, for reminding me what the registry numbers stand for.
    @baddmoonrizin, to create a dedication plaque.
    @dareau, for the information on ship prefixes and that I chose the appropriate one from the start, lol. *wipes brow*

Granted I could have found these out by searching memory-alpha, but quite frankly its tedious. I probably did read it but it didn't stick because the context was boring. Finding it out through creative backstories is more enjoyable and sticks in memory long term better, lol.

And lastly @aliensamongus, for making me start another thread inquiring about others' BOff makeup and what went behind its composition.

Thanks guys and gals :)
    Post edited by stolts on
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    The only ship I have with a registry #, is my fed human.

U.S.S. Shadowwraith NX-98472.

All other ships use Imperial names.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Most of my ships are named after dark souls locations and characters. Because I love Dark souls.

U.s.s. Anor Londo is my favourite.

I use default reg numbers because they are meaningless to me.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    My current ship is called the "Romsci" as a sarcastic note that a certain class of ship remains missing from the roster. Naturally, its a ship off the auction house, not a warbird. It does not have a meaningless number on it.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I have some starships... Designations to go through.

1. U.S.S. Velociraptor X - NX-93028-V - This starship was equipped with a prototype drive from Light's Primary reality, which he stole from the X-COM Empire/Existence Empire's R&D Divisions. The Drive is called the Genesis Drive, a Multiversal Travel System, which can appear in any known reality or dimension within seconds. The Genesis Drive is different from the Genesis Device since it does not terraform a planet. The 93028-V is the designation of the Genesis Drive he stole and it is in the Prototype phases. The Velociraptor X name designation was given from the research on the Voth during the battle for the Dyson Sphere against the Voth. As well, he has a trophy of a Voth Raptor on his starship. This is a Mercury Pilot Ship at tier 6. This is the primary starship of my main, Light.
    2. U.S.S. Ragnarok Freedom - NCC-93356 - This starship used to be equipped with the same Genesis Drive, which is on the Mercury Pilot Ship, which is tactical but it went to the standard drive systems of the Federation with a Remodel/Refit. This starship is a Fleet Manticore/Fleet Heavy Destroyer [T6]. The Ragnarok Freedom is basically a name of the Norse Apocalypse but with Freedom. This used to be the primary starship of Light or Arconian Lee Ionic-Force. This was replaced by the U.S.S. Velociraptor X designation NX-93028 V.

That is my two starships I like a lot. I love the Manticore/Chimera model.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)