What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Axanar draws lawsuit from Paramount and CBS

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    If you're Axanar, however, and raise money for an unauthorized Trek movie, paying yourself a handsome salary out of it, and intend to cash in on someone else's IP, then IP rightholders will generally pursue the matter. And rightly so.

Which is exactly the point I was making, especially in response to the posts I quoted.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Also, check out Wil Wheaton's response:
    tl;dr: a group of people raised a TON of money, saying they were going to make a Trek fan film called Axanar. Then they took that money and spent it to build a studio, which will (presumably) be used to turn a profit from other productions once Axanar’s production is completed. They also sold unlicensed coffee, using copyrighted Star Trek names, and have generally been epic douchecanoes about the whole thing.

Most fan films, even the really polished ones, have very small budgets that rarely break USD10,000, but these people were effectively making a commercially-viable low budget (by Hollywood Standards) film, having raised over USD600,000. And they were going to invest that money into an unlicensed, copyright infringing film using Star Trek intellectual property that is owned by CBS.

They’ve put all fan films at risk, because they exploited the passion and love that Trekkies have for Star Trek to get money, and now they’re acting like they’re innocent victims of big bad CBS. These people are not innocent victims. They are morally and ethically and legally in the wrong, and while I have a lot of problems with copyright and IP law, these guys are not the people I want to be the poster children for reforming those laws.
    I love fan fiction and fan films and headcanon and everything fans do to create their own extended universes (ST Online is a great example), and these jerks may have put all of that at risk, because they acted in bad faith from the beginning.

They are not on your side, they are not on Star Trek’s side, they are not good people.

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/141057730914/do-you-know-what-the-deal-with-this-st-fan-film

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    This isn't a copyright issue, its a trademark issue. Whole different section of the law and one with much more... vigorous consequences. And make no mistake, media companies routinely trademark EVERY FACET of their settings.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Axanar now looks like an opportunity squandered by the people making it with problematic business practices.

The reason I want them to "win" the case is purely because I want to see that movie anyway. But I am not convinced they deserve it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I just have to say I think it is awesome that Will mentions STO in there, and it would be awesome if we could get him to come in and do some work on the game. I know he probably won't do Wesley again, but he did some V/O work (Romulan crew over Narada internal comms) for the 2009 film so he isn't opposed to working in Trek in general. Sorry to go off topic.

I find it funny to read Will Wheaton writing about STO. He did so numerous times and I think in one documentary or webclip William Shatner even talks about conversing with Wheaton about Star Trek Online. Anyway, every time he (Wheaton) praises STO it reads as if he only read the advertisment texts about STO and rather talks about what the game in theory could be, not what it is. It's the same when shows like southpark or simpsons did their "MMORPG" episodes couple of years ago using the stereotype ideal image of what a "virtual world" could be in a very turbulent dream but in no way how the games actually work.

In STOs case, yes everyone of us can play our Star Trek headcanon by writing a biography and even making log entries but all of those are abandoned functions that are on the verge of removal. Exploration has been removed already, webinterfaces where we link and share our characters have been removed a long time ago, the gameplay gets simplified over and over again and essentially STO is now just spinning circles playing the same missions over and over again to grind currency to buy shinies. Of course you theoretically can create your crew, your starship, beam down to Andor - that's in theory every Trekkies wet dream. In practice, though, you soonr ealize how dull the things you actually do are when you beam down to a abandoned and deserted Andoria and create your crew from generic templates. It sounds amazing on the box/website, but in reality it's more... meh.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I find it funny to read Will Wheaton writing about STO.
    Every time he (Wheaton) praises STO it reads as if he only read the advertisment texts about STO.
    It sounds amazing on the box/website, but in reality it's more... meh.​​

I'm not sure exactly what ya complaint is; Wheaton is not exactly an 'A-list' celebrity (but a very nice/cool guy anyway), but surely any kind of positive mention about the game is a good thing? If it brings in a few more players that = more money for Cryptic, more money for Cryptic means more money to spend on the game, and better 'shinnies' for us.

The game may not live up to its 'hype' but its still the best Star Trek MMO available (not that there is alot of choice).

I will also say this; I have played alot of MMO's dating all the way back to the first MUD's and Ultima Online - and whilst STO is not perfect, it is one of the very few MMO's that I come back to time and time again' it's simplicity is part of that attraction.
  • Options
    equinox976 wrote: »
    [
    I'm not sure exactly what ya complaint is; (...)

I don't have a complaint, I simply added something to the discussion. Why is saying something so often interpreted as complaining?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    [

I don't have a complaint, I simply added something to the discussion. Why is saying something so often interpreted as complaining?​​

Oh Ok then. Thanks for the observation :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    [

Well, words have meanings for a *reason*. And that reason is so we can communicate and understand each other. And on that note, here is the basic meaning of the word "complaint":

a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable.

So the question is, would that meaning apply to any part of your post? Let's see:

In practice, though, you soonr ealize how dull the things you actually do are when you beam down to a abandoned and deserted Andoria and create your crew from generic templates. It sounds amazing on the box/website, but in reality it's more... meh.​​​​

You were saying that STO *sounds* amazing...but in reality, it isn't. So then yes, you were "complaining" about STO. Certainly not some epic whinefest, but still a mild complaint. The question is, why would you deny it afterwards? Or do you just not understand what the word means?

PS: I had no problem or issue with your complaint itself. I have plenty of complaints with the game myself. I am only making this post because you choose to *deny* you made a complaint, after making one.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    [

Well, words have meanings for a *reason*. And that reason is so we can communicate and understand each other. And on that note, here is the basic meaning of the word "complaint":

So the question is, would that meaning apply to any part of your post? IMO, it would apply to what you said about STO:

Every time he (Wheaton) praises STO it reads as if he only read the advertisment texts about STO.

You were saying that STO *sounds* amazing...but in reality, it isn't. So then yes, you were "complaining" about STO. Certainly not some epic whinefest, but still a mild complaint. The question is, why would you deny it afterwards? Or do you just not understand what the word means?

PS: I had no problem or issue with your complaint itself. I am only making this post because you choose to *deny* you made a complaint, after making one.

With an attitude toward the game like what was described, why would anyone even bother to hang around?

557a569a74270a01e2dd5cdcc34efbb7.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    [

So the question is, would that meaning apply to any part of your post? IMO, it would apply to what you said about STO:

PS: I had no problem or issue with your complaint itself. I am only making this post because you choose to *deny* you made a complaint, after making one.

With an attitude toward the game like what was described, why would anyone even bother to hang around?

Investment. Interest in Trek. Enjoying some parts of the game. Friends/fleet. There are a lot of different reasons someone might hang around even if the game doesn't live up to their expectations.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2016
    So, I watch some of the videos from Collider (their YouTube channel has good collections of movie news, and soon, TV news)... it's a good place to keep up on stuff like Marvel movies and Star Wars movie news. Anyway, one of their shows, called "Heroes," focuses on superhero movies and TV shows (mainly MCU and DCFU stuff)... but, guess who is a frequent panelist on that show?

Robert Meyer Burnett.

Yep, Alec Peters' co-hort, and (likely) one of the unnamed people attached to the Axanar suit. To his credit, he's been smart and kept his mouth shut since the suit was announced... until a week or two ago. Yesterday's episode, which featured Burnett, had the host of the show (Jon Schnepp) openly shill for Burnett and Axanar. Schnepp said things like "the suit is ret**ded" and "I'm behind Axanar, yo".

I stopped watching, at that point, LOL. I'm not sure if this could affect/harm their defense in any way... Peters seems to be doing a bang-up job of that on his own, LOL. Still, I can't believe how low these guys are stooping to play the victim card.

EDIT: Oh, good, the forum blocks the use of a "synonym" of stupid, which is actually a word that describes people with Down's Syndrome. One of the many problems I have with Schnepp's comments.
    Post edited by mhall85 on
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    that word is used for a lot more than autism though. :p

Anyways, most of what Targ described is a lot less bothersome than he made it sound. I remember the thing on the website with the captain pictures and stuff.... it had less functionality than the current Gateway.... which DOES have pictures of your character and your entire crew.

One feature I miss was the shared message box between the forum and game. that was a neat feature that I'd like to have back.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Anyways, most of what Targ described is a lot less bothersome than he made it sound.

To you, perhaps. But what is "bothersome" and to what degree is completely subjective. There is no doubt(IMO) that there are plenty of valid complaints about the game. I've certainly posted my share over the years, and I have no problem with other people doing the same. The only part I do take issue with is when someone posts some completely valid complaints...but then denies doing it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    "That word" is NOT used to describe autistics. It's an old description for people afflicted with the more severe forms of Down's Syndrome, which mutated over time to become a cruel slur against anyone regarded as "slow". (This last is most certainly the sense in which the term was used by Burnett, as neurological conditions cannot apply to lawsuits, only to living creatures.)

And speaking as an autistic, if you try to use "ret*rd" or "ret*rded" to describe me, you're going to have an indignant Internet fight-equivalent on your hands.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    "That word" is NOT used to describe autistics. It's an old description for people afflicted with the more severe forms of Down's Syndrome, which mutated over time to become a cruel slur against anyone regarded as "slow". (This last is most certainly the sense in which the term was used by Burnett, as neurological conditions cannot apply to lawsuits, only to living creatures.)

Apologies for the misconception on my part, @jonsills. That is, of course, what I meant.

And, to be fair, it was Schnepp (the Collider host) who used the word, not Burnett himself. Still, the host is now pimping hard for Team Axanar (and Burnett, who is obviously buddies with this guy), on a show that has nothing to do with Trek, so that could be splitting hairs.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Wil Wheaton hit it right on the head, both as regards this case and copyright law in general.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

And speaking as an autistic, if you try to use "ret*rd" or "ret*rded" to describe me, you're going to have an indignant Internet fight-equivalent on your hands.

a family member of mine has autism as does her kids, i got a less crippling form of it, it effects the way i talk and understand others as well as the way i express that, sometimes it ends up like a jumbled mess, it why i keep things simple, on this forum, if it means being the bad guy, then to me i will keep it that way because i am slow when it comes to change usually, besides it keeps things simple to know which people are rotten and which people are good. (a few forumers made jokes on the subject and i left it alone the other day because my emotional response is not their concern).

however, yes it should not be used as a crutch to try win a point as even people that are a bit slow or delayed considerably can have their moments of good clarity where they knew damn well what they were doing. in all that "insanity" you learn to find a pattern where you can figure out what you are doing, having personal experience on the subject, any ordinary person wouldnt understand how hard it can be sometimes to keep your mind focused in the "real world", i quote these because it depends on perspective when you see things differently.

final point of interest, i knew of 2 people who were both significantly delayed in thinking and one of them had downs, both of them turned out good in the end, the last i heard of them they were getting married and moving out. this was over a decade ago and i hope they are still together and doing well.

my point is, that even people who are handicapped like the above can be clear minded and know what they are doing with a bit of thinking and training. no way anyone should be made exempt from the court room because they are delayed, not for any reason where it mattered.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

557a569a74270a01e2dd5cdcc34efbb7.jpg

Because I still enjoy it. I have been severly disappointed by it's development, that's true, but there are still a lot of aspects I enjoy and obviously I am still around. Also, I like the forum discussions and Star Trek community. Even if I would quit playing the game, as long as nobody locks my forum account I probably would still be around afterwards.
    To you, perhaps. But what is "bothersome" and to what degree is completely subjective. There is no doubt(IMO) that there are plenty of valid complaints about the game. I've certainly posted my share over the years, and I have no problem with other people doing the same. The only part I do take issue with is when someone posts some completely valid complaints...but then denies doing it.

You are being pedantic, that's all. When I wrote my statement but said it wasn't a complaint most people get my point, as in I might be unstatisfied with certain aspects but I'm not making a complaint as in voicing a demand for amends. You however insist on arguing semantics in a way that is irrelevant for the discussion at hoof. I'm sorry if you take issues with my posting(s) but if so please use private messages to inform me about that. I am not a native speaker and as such I am fairly certain I do not match your knowledge of the English language, up until know I got along with most people but never met someone feeling the need to call people out in public like you are.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Calm down targ, there is nothing to get so upset about. You made a *valid* complaint, then *denied* having done it, then I corrected you. That's all there is to it. It's not some big deal or any reason to get personal. Just chill out a little, and let's get back to the ACTUAL subject of this thread: Axanar.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Calm down targ, there is nothing to get so upset about. You made a *valid* complaint, then *denied* having done it, then I corrected you.

I'm pretty sure he meant he didn't lodge any sort of formal complaint (to which a reply is expected), but that he simply expressed his grievance over something.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I just have to say I think it is awesome that Will mentions STO in there, and it would be awesome if we could get him to come in and do some work on the game. I know he probably won't do Wesley again, but he did some V/O work (Romulan crew over Narada internal comms) for the 2009 film so he isn't opposed to working in Trek in general. Sorry to go off topic.
    ​​

Ah yes, foolish Wil Wheaton. :) As Wesley, he was just a dweep, but he garnished much popularity on The Big Bang Theory, where Star Trek was a big thing in general (nerds will be nerds XD). So, his opinions, in that sense, are more visible than what some dusty exec has to say in his office somewhere.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Nobody said any "formal complaint" was lodged. Here is what happened, in order:

1) targ made a *valid* complaint about the game.

2) someone asked him to clarify his complaint.

3) targ then said he wasn't complaining, and didn't understand why they said he was complaining.

I was not involved in any of that. But because targ actually decided to argue that his post wasn't a complaint, I decided to correct him with the point that words do have meanings.

That's all there is to it. And again, it's not some big deal. So, enough of the OFF TOPIC stuff? Some actual AXANAR talk, anyone?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    It'll probably get settled out of court.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    It'll probably get settled out of court.
    <shrug>

I highly doubt that. CBS/Paramount want to set a 'you went over the line' example; plus, Axanar probably doesn't have enough money to settle to begin with. :wink:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Well, if this sale of "Ares Studios" goes through, and there's nothing shady about said sale (which is a hard ask, at this point, LOL)... and you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll have to disclose the sale in court... Team Axanar will have cash to pay out at least some damages.

But, I don't think this is about money, either... not anymore. They're going for the kill shot, I think... which is why this is about copyright infringement and not trademark infringement. I think it's pretty safe to say that Alec Peters will not be making a Garth of Izar movie, at which point he'll have to answer to his donors (maybe even Kickstarter & IndieGoGo).
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Nobody said any "formal complaint" was lodged. Here is what happened, in order:

1) targ made a *valid* complaint about the game.

2) someone asked him to clarify his complaint.

3) targ then said he wasn't complaining, and didn't understand why they said he was complaining.

I was not involved in any of that. But because targ actually decided to argue that his post wasn't a complaint, I decided to correct him with the point that words do have meanings.

That's all there is to it. And again, it's not some big deal. So, enough of the OFF TOPIC stuff? Some actual AXANAR talk, anyone?

Will Alec Peters ever be able to show his face at a convention again without being publicly lynched? Some whackjob once shot Claudia Christian with a starting pistol at a con for reasons known only to himself... There is now, on the other hoof, a significant number with a legitimate beef with Peters... Will he get strung up from the stage, or go into seclusion?... Inquiring (bored) minds must know!!!

PS Is anyone else getting the very right hand edge of this page cut off? (all other forum pages seem fine except for this one...)
This discussion has been closed.