test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TOS Dreadnought

I was wondering what other player think about a T6 tos version of a dreadnought or even a motion picture version of dreadnought?

Comments

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I was wondering what other player think about a T6 tos version of a dreadnought or even a motion picture version of dreadnought?

Do you mind clarifying this? Are you asking if we would like to see a TOS/Motion picture style dreadnought? I'm not sure people would go for that...

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    What is the TOS or Motion Picture Dreadnought? I don't recall those existing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    TOS Dreadnaught?

Is this a "I Want a T6 Connie but It Isn't a T6 Connie if You Add Another Nacelle On It" thread?

If so, no.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    bergins wrote: »
    TOS Dreadnaught?

Is this a "I Want a T6 Connie but It Isn't a T6 Connie if You Add Another Nacelle On It" thread?

If so, no.

Could a third nacelle even fit on a Constitution Class cruiser? Seems like that would just be a kitbash that led to a destroyed ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Mods when they see this thread:

tumblr_inline_mmwuowYc3D1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_inline_o0chk9jVx71tgx0jc_500.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2016

1. its non-canon.
    2. the author of this fanmade idea would need to contacted
    3. i doubt cryptic would want to bring on another fanmade creation, considering the last time and that was by a contest that was NA only. (i will never ever forgive cryptic for what they did with that)
    4. this is clearly a t6 connie thread, read the FCT thread about the response.

@jodarkrider
    @askray

also, there is SFC1's dreadie, but that thing looks rfugly! it would scare the paint off a car and send every animal into a hiding hole its so ugly. besides cryptic would need to contact the people at interplay and i do not see that happening any time soon either.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/fedbb-cool.jpg
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    roguegamer23roguegamer23 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    If your talking about the Proxima and the Federation class then possibly yes for those that like the TOS era, I don't mind buying it but remember those two use components from the Conni itself so probably CBS will used that as an excuse to say nopy dope to cryptic and PWE.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Did you know that one of the report options covers your complaint, @mirrorchaos ? There's also one for Impersonating an Employee.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    Did you know that one of the report options covers your complaint, @mirrorchaos ? There's also one for Impersonating an Employee.

nice reaction, silly, but thats your choice of words and not my problem.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    2. the author of this fanmade idea would need to contacted
    3. i doubt cryptic would want to bring on another fanmade creation, considering the last time and that was by a contest that was NA only. (i will never ever forgive cryptic for what they did with that)

FWIW, it's not quite a "fanmade" idea - it's from the 1970s Star Trek novel, "Dreadnought", albeit the fan-made picture has it with movie engines:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought!

While I've never seen it explicitly stated, I'd put money the design also inspired the "All Good Things" Enterprise - which is the same concept on the Galaxy - and is why the STO designation for that ship is the Dreadnought.

This ship is, at the very least, in the territory of the Vesta (a fan-favourite design from the novels). However, I have to agree, it's probably too close to the Constitution class for comfort. The same would be true for the NX refit.
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »
    FWIW, it's not quite a "fanmade" idea - it's from the 1970s Star Trek novel, "Dreadnought", albeit with movie engines:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought!

While I've never seen it explicitly stated, I'd put money the design also inspired the "All Good Things" Enterprise - which is the same concept on the Galaxy - and is why the STO designation for that ship is the Dreadnought.

This ship is, at the very least, in the territory of the Vesta (a fan-favourite design from the novels).

correct the quote.

anyway, from a novel? that already proves all the cases for the 3 points. why copy ideas when cryptic can come up with their own? it wouldnt make much sense to deal with another 3rd party for fan made ideas.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind seeing it.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_class

Technically it's canon in the same way people argue it here, it was referenced on screen, and the schematic appeared onscreen. It's from the original Tech manual, that's not canon, but was used in the design of the first movie. The book isn't considered canon, but that ship (and a few others) have been on screen (in a form).
    Production
    While this book is now considered to be non-canonical, it was used as a source and reference for four Star Trek motion pictures, and at least one episode.

Three starships from the book were mentioned by name, class, and registry in Star Trek: The Motion Picture:
    Scout USS Revere NCC-595
    Scout USS Columbia NCC-621
    Dreadnought USS Entente NCC-2120

Starship designs from the book were used as bridge displays in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock:
    Hermes-class Scout
    Federation-class Dreadnought
    Ptolemy-class Transport/Tug
    Saladin-class Destroyer

One starship from the book is listed on a display screen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:
    Heavy cruiser USS Kongo NCC-1710

One starship from the book is shown on a bridge display in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and TNG: "Datalore":
    Constitution-class starship NCC-1700

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Fleet_Technical_Manual
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Hmmm... a ToS Dreadnought...

You mean this?

https://vincentpaone.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/planet_killer.jpg
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The vesta class was from the books and yet they added that to the game

and I'd like to buy this ship too since i love the tos series ^^
  • Options
    jim625 wrote: »
    The vesta class was from the books and yet they added that to the game

and I'd like to buy this ship too since i love the tos series ^^

So is the Luna Class, also from the books. While the USS Titan is mentioned at the end of Nemesis, it wasn't designed until the books.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    longsword814#2401 longsword814 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I was thinking about an original series style dreadnought or as new as a original series motion picture style dreadnought that keeps with the tos (original series) character I've created. A galaxy dreadnought is awesome but doesn't fit with character build.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

It makes me a sad panda that there are supposed Trek fans that dont know these things have existed since at least the early 80s.

I would love a movie era one but as other have stated, these are basically Constitution class vessels tweaked in some fashion or another and likely to never fly because of that single reason.

Also the original billing for the Excelsior was Battleship or Dreadnought
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    TOS Dreadnaught?

If so, no.

^^ LOL. This.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

It makes me a sad panda that there are supposed Trek fans that dont know these things have existed since at least the early 80s.

I would love a movie era one but as other have stated, these are basically Constitution class vessels tweaked in some fashion or another and likely to never fly because of that single reason.

I feel I have let you down. Would it help restore your faith in me if I mentioned that I have won a Trek Trivia contest at a Trek convention?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

I feel I have let you down. Would it help restore your faith in me if I mentioned that I have won a Trek Trivia contest at a Trek convention?

a little :) lol
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User

Not necessarily, and depending on licensing agreements might be possible. The first two Starfleet Commands had a couple of decent "dreadnought" type options:
    gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=202

And some better pictures at:
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/star-trek-vessel-warship-analogs.291129/
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    maina wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing it.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_class

Technically it's canon in the same way people argue it here, it was referenced on screen, and the schematic appeared onscreen. It's from the original Tech manual, that's not canon, but was used in the design of the first movie. The book isn't considered canon, but that ship (and a few others) have been on screen (in a form).
    Production
    While this book is now considered to be non-canonical, it was used as a source and reference for four Star Trek motion pictures, and at least one episode.

Three starships from the book were mentioned by name, class, and registry in Star Trek: The Motion Picture:
    Scout USS Revere NCC-595
    Scout USS Columbia NCC-621
    Dreadnought USS Entente NCC-2120

Starship designs from the book were used as bridge displays in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock:
    Hermes-class Scout
    Federation-class Dreadnought
    Ptolemy-class Transport/Tug
    Saladin-class Destroyer

One starship from the book is listed on a display screen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:
    Heavy cruiser USS Kongo NCC-1710

One starship from the book is shown on a bridge display in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and TNG: "Datalore":
    Constitution-class starship NCC-1700

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Fleet_Technical_Manual

If I recall while not canon it was endorsed and encouraged by Roddenberry.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    The fbb and fdn would be great addons to the game. This dreadnought needs a lil update and if it appeared as a schemitic then i say gooo 4 it
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Any chance that it would be V'Ger? As in the director's cut CGI version that became the Borg dreadnought in STO? Only thing in TMP that could be called a dreadnought.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Gene endorsed it till he found out he couldn't gain any profit from it...
    Then... Not So Much.
    It was at that point that he and Matt Jefferies had a falling out.
    <sad face>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The closest we'll get to the Federation class is the Galaxy-X, which I believe was inspired by it due to the tri necelle configuration.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    In the novelization of TMP, written by Gene Enterprise after the near 2 year refit is now a battleship, but the bureaucrats of the federation refused to call it that, Enterprise was the last of the surviving constitution class ships, Post refit, the ship was named an Enterprise class due to the considerable modifications to the ship. I'd be more of with a t6 TMP refit ship than a T6 connie.