test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Particle Event - The Aftermath - Farming 2016

2»

Comments

• tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Did you farm like a boss ?
    I did, goal was 300 kits, got over that in three weeks so the last week I skipped it completely. I like the game but I can get a little burned out on it because I farmed like a boss. I used 75 kits already but I will hold off on using anymore until after the Skill System Update.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • jjobijjobi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    man i spent 1.7 bil ec on paticles i used like 100 upgrades. have 30 in bank and 55 cooking. 10000 each trace 4000 silvers 350 shards 450 frags. i also farmed like a madman........gezz i need a life LOL
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I came out with about 35 left after doing a round of upgrades. I did however, collect a large number of shards that I was going to save for later or put on the exchange when the price gets nice and high. Of course, it's starting the look like I won't be playing this game much anymore, so I guess all that grind was for nothing.

Howcome?

I mean, I feel the same - the Sci nerfs and OP BFAW spammers have made this game a catastrophic bore in my opinion, but is that why you've had enough?

Well then you'll be happy to see me go. :)

I run a few different builds on my characters, but my main is a FAW build and like how I have things now. It's a cycle in this game that I'm just sick of. You focus on a build, you put your time and resources into obtaining it. You do Ques, play the exchange, work the crafting lottery, and you finally get to where you get the end goal.. and they just come in and nerf everything into the ground so you can start over again. The game is a constant cycle of building yourself up so the Devs can knock you down.

I said before that I won't except a massive nerf, and this new skill system looks to be just that. Unless there are some serious changes, the 11.5 Patch day will be my last day. I'm just sick of it. They like to say 'players lost nothing,' but we all know that's a load. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it, but so far I just see massive nerfs across the board and that's unacceptable to me. If I do go though, don't worry, I won't start a thread about it.. I'll just go. :)

If it comes to that, I'll probably just give my Omega Shards away, not like I can take them with me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    I farmed a bit. Enough to get my KDF to mk XIV in most of his space gear. Going to try to push the terran warp core to gold and then start upgrading other characters next upgrade weekend. I could sell them, but considering the ship I want isn't on the market anymore, I'm content to wait and build up my EC pile in other ways.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    i've seen someone claim they farmed enough materials to make over 9000 omega upgrades..​​

Was he named Goku or Vegeta by any chance? B);)

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    no, his name was @ruinthefun​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    55 million in credits from sales of supplies I didn't need. Didn't farm very much. May be a couple hours.
    I'm going to sit on mine until supply dwindles then sell them for an inflated amount. :)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    if you want to sell them for an inflated amount, the best time would likely be the next upgrade weekend after the one in march...not the one in march, because every smart player will be saving their current omega stockpile for that exact weekend​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    if you want to sell them for an inflated amount, the best time would likely be the next upgrade weekend after the one in march...not the one in march, because every smart player will be saving their current omega stockpile for that exact weekend​​

Exactly what I was thinking. :)
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    fovrel wrote: »
    There are two problems I have with the minigame. First. If you have a medium or low computer system and/or a slow connection, you will never get a high score.

I have to disagree. I farmed omega particles on a laptop that basically only has a Core i5-2410m and Intel HD 3000 graphics core. All graphic settings were basically set to low. I managed to get a score of 2,000 or more on a pretty consistent basis. And I was using a cheap HP branded mouse.

On low settings, as you say. My system is an Intel dual core, 4 GB ram and an AMD Radeon R7 360. Now I prefer graphics over performance and I don't like to go 'under the hood' for a mini game. BTW my graphical settings are on medium, because I do need some performance after all. My average score may be 1,4 particle. The last day of the event I got my new computer. This has 16GB ramm and the AMD Radeon R9. With this system I could get three particles from the minigame. Also, I am in Europe. My signal has to cross the Atlantic.

But perhaps I am just not good in this game. BTW, I only have upgraded some ground items on my Delta recruits. All my space stuff is MK XII, even some blue and purple MK XI. Whenever I do a battle zone, I almost always get a tier IV reward. I see no point in committing myself to an upgrading grind. When it comes, I will get it. If it does not come, ... whatever.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    the only downfall of the omega game is many are in the same boat as me and are only gaining one trace per game and one of each colour per mission, given that a lot only played to get the ship that being 15 mission runs and you need at least 27 of each or 27 mission runs to create an upgrade many probably didn't even get enough to make even 1 upgrade without grinding or at least playing extra missions after they had got the ship.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I don't understand why you guys are burning through your Omeha kits already? You go through the tedium of grinding for them but don't wait for the inevitable upgrade event in the next couple of months? I'm holding onto mine, make sure I get the most from the tech points and upgrade chance from it.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    There are two problems I have with the minigame. First. If you have a medium or low computer system and/or a slow connection, you will never get a high score.

I have to disagree. I farmed omega particles on a laptop that basically only has a Core i5-2410m and Intel HD 3000 graphics core. All graphic settings were basically set to low. I managed to get a score of 2,000 or more on a pretty consistent basis. And I was using a cheap HP branded mouse.

On low settings, as you say. My system is an Intel dual core, 4 GB ram and an AMD Radeon R7 360. Now I prefer graphics over performance and I don't like to go 'under the hood' for a mini game. BTW my graphical settings are on medium, because I do need some performance after all. My average score may be 1,4 particle. The last day of the event I got my new computer. This has 16GB ramm and the AMD Radeon R9. With this system I could get three particles from the minigame. Also, I am in Europe. My signal has to cross the Atlantic.

Well, I seem to have performed consistently in that mini-game regardless if I was playing on my old laptop with the Sandy Bridge Core i5-2410m & Intel HD 3000 graphics core, a more recent laptop with a Haswell Core i5-4200u & Radeon HD 8850m dedicated GPU (decently powerful when it was new, but now only a bit more powerful than the nVidia 940m), or my desktop with a Core i5-4670k & GTX 970.

Anyway... we all have a little less than a year before the omega mini-game comes back...
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I farmed 90 fragments and gave them to a buddy of mine who hasn't been in game for a while and needed to upgrade his gear.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    That is generous of you.

I would recommend a few things:

1. Tell him to try not to use Omega Kits all at once. From time to time Cryptic will have double tech point weekends which makes them more effective.

2. Omega Kits are best used on Mk II gear because of the 20% chance of rarity upgrade when used on Mk II gear. If he wants to upgrade rep gear, then just do so since rep gear is only rewarded at Mk XII.

3. If your buddy can afford to do so, he should purchase Research Accelerators from the Exchange to improve the % chance of rarity upgrade. The 1.5x versions will increase the base chance to 30%; costs ~500k EC. The 2x versions will increase the base chance to 40%; costs ~2.8m EC.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    That is generous of you.

I would recommend a few things:

1. Tell him to try not to use Omega Kits all at once. From time to time Cryptic will have double tech point weekends which makes them more effective.

2. Omega Kits are best used on Mk II gear because of the 20% chance of rarity upgrade when used on Mk II gear. If he wants to upgrade rep gear, then just do so since rep gear is only rewarded at Mk XII.

3. If your buddy can afford to do so, he should purchase Research Accelerators from the Exchange to improve the % chance of rarity upgrade. The 1.5x versions will increase the base chance to 30%; costs ~500k EC. The 2x versions will increase the base chance to 40%; costs ~2.8m EC.

Sound advice here.

Next Upgrade Weekend seems to be March 11th according to the in game calendar.
    Save Em if you Got Em.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Honestly I didn't keep count, I tried but lost count after the upgrade weekend.
    I do know that I got an entire Iconian resistance set to Ultra rare, kcb to Ultra rare, allong with an entire suite of Elachi dual heavy cannons, and suite of epic plasma beams.
    I have five set aside for a rainy day now.
    Do I want the event to come again right now? Please, PLEASE no.
    Will I be wishing for it again in a month or two when my eyes finish bleeding and the memories of endless grind have faded? Yes.
    It hurt allot but I'm very happy with what I accomplished and the dil/cash I saved.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".