test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Particle Event - The Aftermath - Farming 2016

So now that the event is over and the dust has settled on the Omega Particle/Anniversary Event, how did everyone do collecting ?

Did you farm like a boss ?
Did you play the exchange Trace market and prospect your way to riches ?
Did you have trouble at all with the mini-game and not profit much from this event ?

How many Tech Upgrades will you finish up with ?

Do you like this event, want it to return ? Why or why not ?

Ill finish with 75 upgrades.
Took it pretty easy on farming. Every 3 or 4 days I'd put an hour into collecting, and do the daily on my main.
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Comments

• furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    I despise the Omega Particle minigame, and so I only did what I needed to finish the daily from Q.

I only got a couple of Omega Uprade Kits, which I'll save for a rainy day, and the rest of my traces I plan on selling once I see how the market looks on the Exchange.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I farmed enough for 8 upgrades and then got fed up with the minigame once I had the reward ship. Never played it again after that.
    I know the upgrades are amazing but the sheer tedium of farming the dammed traces or the expense of buying them is just not justified in my view.
    SulMatuul.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    55 Omegas, the last 21 of them baking in the oven now. After the first few days I'd almost always get at least a green and 1 sliver, usually 2-3.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I did far less than most of you. I had STO elbow after 2 days of an hour each, so maybe 700 of each color trace plus some purchases and the higher stuff.

Best "work" of all...someone posted a stack of 441 blues for 60k total on exchange. Paid for 2, and got 439 more for free.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    though I only ever managed to get one trace at a time I did end up with 13 upgrades in total just by putting in the time to farm them.
    although its not a bad game it just a pity you need 27 of each coloured trace to get one upgrade, having said that its a pity I am not much better at getting a decent enough score.
    I suppose we should also be grateful that this event game gives more then just the ship and marks as a reward.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    1 Omega Upgrade for the whole event.
    Never did more than was required for the daily and skipped as many days as I could.
    Not really a fan of this particular mini-game.

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I don't have the exact count because I used roughly a dozen Omega upgrades during the upgrade weekend, but I definitely broke 70 complete Omega Upgrades. Took about 30 - 45 minutes a day (which sped up a little as I optimized my procedure), and I farmed all but one or two days during the event. Felt like a good balance between farming and not driving myself insane from the tedium; figure I'll wait for the next upgrade event and make some real progress on a few pieces.
  • nccmark wrote: »
    I did far less than most of you. I had STO elbow after 2 days of an hour each, so maybe 700 of each color trace plus some purchases and the higher stuff.

Best "work" of all...someone posted a stack of 441 blues for 60k total on exchange. Paid for 2, and got 439 more for free.

I farmed 160 upgrades which took days of farming and I know for a fact you didn't farm 700 of each color in two hours. 180 an hour of one color is the max you could farm.
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    I did the daily on two characters - and over the course of it made 5 or so Omega Upgrades (I wasn't really counting). I detest this type of farming overall YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    You got 75 upgrades doing the minigame for an hour every 3 or 4 days? I call BS on that.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You misread it. I slowed down after two hours total over the first two days, so after that, a grand total over the whole event of....700 of each blue/yellow/green.
    Best I can do is probably 150 per hour of lower colors.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    52 omega upgrades in the pipeline, ~40 already used.

If I can do that, then there are people not posting here who managed to get double or triple or more... regardless of whether they just sold the traces on the market or are actively upgrading the traces to make omega upgrades.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    farmed 73 upgrades, and used them all. Didn't get much stuff to gold though *kicks the upgrade system*
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Hate to grind...so got only 3 upgrades and I stopped pig-7.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    i've seen someone claim they farmed enough materials to make over 9000 omega upgrades...though, given this certain person's predilection for overly-grandiose statements, i seriously doubt he actually got that much

myself, i'm not actually sure what i got since i spread it over multiple characters, and even going through all of them and consolidating what i have into my account bank, some of them are undoubtedly from last year​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Didn't keep track, took advantage of Dil & Rep bonus weekends, the rest maybe 2-3 h maybe every 2-3 days on average is my guess. Used up a little bunch of omegas during upgrade event to finish up some gear on KDF.

Even while listening to radio interviews in the meanwhile, the mini-game was so boring I couldn't do more than that.

Not selling one bit of it, even when prices rise over time. Good riddance that the event is done for.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You got 75 upgrades doing the minigame for an hour every 3 or 4 days? I call BS on that.

Well I wasn't being exact just ballparking, it may have been more like every 2.5 days for an hour/hour and half. +5 Toons running the daily for the duration, harvesting 3 nodes per map.
    Averaging between 1850-2700 with the majority being 2300+ per mini game, with lots and lots of 2700's along the way.

According to this;
    http://jsfiddle.net/02df7t79/2/embedded/result/

I will finish with 74 if everything I have is used.

So no, not BS.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    So now that the event is over and the dust has settled on the Omega Particle/Anniversary Event, how did everyone do collecting ?

Did you farm like a boss ?
    Did you play the exchange Trace market and prospect your way to riches ?
    Did you have trouble at all with the mini-game and not profit much from this event ?

How many Tech Upgrades will you finish up with ?

Do you like this event, want it to return ? Why or why not ?

Ill finish with 75 upgrades.
    Took it pretty easy on farming. Every 3 or 4 days I'd put an hour into collecting, and do the daily on my main.

I collected 40 particles of each 3 to craft upgrades.

No, I didn't farm like a boss for it. I only have limited amount to play each day. So it took me about a week to get what I collected.

No, I didn't put any on trade at this time. I do have leftovers so I might.

Yes there was the issue on the first day as there was none. But that was fixed. Other issues was too many players so it was harder to collect in some places.

I got 1 upgrade from this.

No, I will not doing the event again. Too much to grind for such a small return. So next time it is up. I will be doing something else.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    There are two problems I have with the minigame. First. If you have a medium or low computer system and/or a slow connection, you will never get a high score. Now, even a low score gives a particle, so you can just play more games to get your particles. But, again on a low system, the minigame doesn't look good. The pointer is slow in following my mouse pointer and the particles do not flow fuidly, but stutter and that is not the jump when one is completed. I began to dislike the minigame because of a bad system performance, which is of course partly on my side, but it does look it is an external problem.

The second problem is about the upgrading part. You can craft the particles into an upgrade. The crafting mechanic has three stages. It is boring as hell. Make one crafting proces, 24 particles give you an upgrade and get rid of those in-btween stages.

I run the event for the ship and will do it again and ignore the particles. Thank God, you can save them among your mats. I would throw them away if the would fill up my normal inventory. I might still throw them away. Crafting a normal upgrade, looks to me in all aspects easier.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I wasn't really paying attention. I may have made some omega upgrades and sold off a few purple omega bits but I wasn't making an effort. And it was fun! Things happened, I got stuff, and I didn't burn myself out. Great times...
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I came out with about 35 left after doing a round of upgrades. I did however, collect a large number of shards that I was going to save for later or put on the exchange when the price gets nice and high. Of course, it's starting the look like I won't be playing this game much anymore, so I guess all that grind was for nothing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I'm pleased to say I did not play the Omega mini-game once this year, and I'm glad those annoying interact buttons are no longer cluttering up my screen.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    Couldn't be bothered with the mini-game. With all the unresolved issues with it I was never going to get anything that reflected the time investment, so I just left it be.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »
    farmed 73 upgrades, and used them all. Didn't get much stuff to gold though *kicks the upgrade system*

You should use the 1.5x (~500k - 550k EC) / 2x (~ 2.9m EC) quality research boosters to increase the chance of a rarity upgrade from the base chance of 20% Omega Tech Upgrade Kits gives Mk II gear to either 30% or 40%.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    This year's Omega offering was more generous than last year, in that I nearly always got a sliver for scores over 1900. Add the fact that fragments were dropping occasionally (each worth 27 particles), and shards slightly more frequent, I'll finish up with ~75 upgrades (40 currently in bank) , and that is without resorting to Exchange purchases.

I'm not sure I can get all the raw material processed before the next Bonus Upgrade weekend (mid-March), since all 6 of my alts have equal amounts to grind through. I only got serious about farming after the event ship was secured. I just ran the mini-game 3x for each color particle up to that point, which unfortunately left me grinding for some tedious hours in the last few days. Maybe my carpal tunnel will recover before the upgrade event... :D
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    There are two problems I have with the minigame. First. If you have a medium or low computer system and/or a slow connection, you will never get a high score.

I have to disagree. I farmed omega particles on a laptop that basically only has a Core i5-2410m and Intel HD 3000 graphics core. All graphic settings were basically set to low. I managed to get a score of 2,000 or more on a pretty consistent basis. And I was using a cheap HP branded mouse.

This was on a toon I created in a separate account last year primarily to test some privacy settings on my main account. Not sure what I will do with this toon / account. If I decide to continue playing on a pure F2P basis (spend $0 real money), then whatever has been farmed will remain with this toon (probably enough for 6 Omega Tech Upgrade Kits). Otherwise, I will just transfer all the Omega traces, slivers, shards and fragments to my primary account.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    I got 8 upgrades thru farming but the lag just killed the game for me as well as the message popups over the minigames playfield, but I did manage 3 bonus awards during the torture. What was even more depressing was the replay of time and tide, I must've played it 20 times across 3 non-fed toons and not once did I receive any any bonus drops, but the ONE time I played a fed toon (for the admirality box) I get a superior cannon upgrade drop on the FIRST ship I killed @ the conference. WTF, fed favoritism sux so bad in this game.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    You could have simply dragged the mini-game playfield to a different part of the screen every time you started the mini-game. If you are referring to the "collect omega particle" messege boxes appearing on top of the playfield, then clicking the playfield would have solved the problem.

I played Time and Tide every week on each toon. That means I played it over 30 times. I only received one superior upgrade kit (science) and it was one of KDF toon that received it.