test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Civilian and Generic Starships

Comments

• sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    maybe the intrepid class.

what was Voyager's first mission again? oh yeah hunt pirates/outlaws in the badlands
    Voyager was tasked to hunt down a terrorist Maquis group over in the Badlands. Terrorism is usually handled by Starfleet since they acted as Anti-Terror units in such situations such as a bombing, etc.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Oops, I also forgot the State Department and the Geological Survey
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    remember... technically Starfleet *IS* the 'peace keepers' for the UFP not the military...nvm the reality. From what Ive seen in various episodes and such, frigates and other smaller vessels spend the bulk of their time playing 'cop' on patrol

I have to disagree. Starfleet is far more than "The Police" or a "Coast Guard in Space." It is the military arm of the Federation but the scope of its capabilities and power exceeds even that.

Throughout the franchise, we see Starfleet pushing exploration and keeping the peace with diplomacy or force in many skirmishes. Yet we also see in the franchise that it is Starfleet that takes front and center stage when war erupts for the Federation. It is Starfleet that fights the Federation's wars. No TV episode or movie evidence says otherwise. That's not exactly the mandate of Police / Security forces watching for criminals, smugglers, etc.

Mhm. Starfleet is a combination of National Guard, Border Security, and Military Intelligence and NASA (For the exploration aspect). Civilian Law Enforcement stuff in the Federation is usually handled by Civilian Law Enforcement agencies such as Federation Security. (Not to be confused with Starfleet Security, which is essentially Military Police.)

So basically the Napoleonic Wars British Royal Navy in space and with modern sensibilities.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    hartzilla wrote: »
    remember... technically Starfleet *IS* the 'peace keepers' for the UFP not the military...nvm the reality. From what Ive seen in various episodes and such, frigates and other smaller vessels spend the bulk of their time playing 'cop' on patrol

I have to disagree. Starfleet is far more than "The Police" or a "Coast Guard in Space." It is the military arm of the Federation but the scope of its capabilities and power exceeds even that.

Throughout the franchise, we see Starfleet pushing exploration and keeping the peace with diplomacy or force in many skirmishes. Yet we also see in the franchise that it is Starfleet that takes front and center stage when war erupts for the Federation. It is Starfleet that fights the Federation's wars. No TV episode or movie evidence says otherwise. That's not exactly the mandate of Police / Security forces watching for criminals, smugglers, etc.

Mhm. Starfleet is a combination of National Guard, Border Security, and Military Intelligence and NASA (For the exploration aspect). Civilian Law Enforcement stuff in the Federation is usually handled by Civilian Law Enforcement agencies such as Federation Security. (Not to be confused with Starfleet Security, which is essentially Military Police.)

So basically the Napoleonic Wars British Royal Navy in space and with modern sensibilities.

Ehh.... Something like that. Starfleet was also like the UN Peacekeepers division when it comes to peacekeeping. There was such a use of Starfleet personnel as a peacekeeping force on a Cardassian owned planet where First Nations-like humans (I think) had settled, but the Cardassians wanted them put onto another Federation world, but both sides soon had to allow the population to stay, and that event was luckily not the starting point of the continuation of the Federation-Cardassian War, which the Federation was not properly prepared for.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited January 2016
    back on topic... there was one ship design I really liked that got reused several times in TNG/DS9
    270?cb=20140911015344&path-prefix=en
    that'd definitely be one Id like to own

for a transport/freighter
    320x240.jpg
    would be cool
    I'd say the second one would also be viable as a frigate or corvette. That model was reused for the Sheliak ship after all. Both those ships are definitely on my wishlist as well.
    Two more for the wish list in this category would be the Maquis Raider and the USS Raven
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Two more for the wish list in this category would be the Maquis Raider and the USS Raven

Don't we have the Maquis Raider in the form of a Shuttle?
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    @jodarkrider. thread necro.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    That's the Peregrine Class fighter. The Maquis Raider looks similar, but it's a different design and it's a bigger ship.
    That's the Peregrine Class fighter. The Maquis Raider looks similar, but it's a different design and it's a bigger ship.

Ah yes, I had forgotten the name.
    Thanks.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited February 2016

Every time somebody does that I see this in my head....

https://youtu.be/JBekXg5LxSg

Considering some of the currently active threads, I think a 10 Day overage is probably acceptable.
    B)
    daveyny wrote: »

Every time somebody does that I see this in my head....

https://youtu.be/JBekXg5LxSg

carbon copy of a previous thread.. whatever your point is in that clip about whatever it is ofcourse. but that isnt my problem if you are not willing to come out about it.
  • ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Starfleet has a huge range of responsibilities than a real world, modern military has. Do not forget that the Federation was formed first as a military alliance against a military threat and not just a bunch of guys that are happy together and want to explore what's next door. Starfleet was built first and foremost to defend the Federation with the threat of force as a deterrent, whether Picard likes it or not.

Now, I will agree that smaller vessels will be out patrolling and ensuring security, keeping the peace in Federation space. Smaller vessels like frigates, destroyers make up the numbers of a navy and do the common work, dirty work. The pampered princesses, i.e. Cruisers and such, act on the bigger matters.

if i remember correct few small ships ( looks like Sabre class ) patrol at edge of Sol System and help Archer with Klingon BoP ......sure this was before Federation but .....
    mzspQIG.jpg

a sneaky edit in after the fact: 14th jan without a reply to the 24th feb. thats all i will state.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    The irony...if Starfleet had waited a few weeks, the Defiant would have been stationed five-minutes away, perfectly suited for flying around the Badlands AND more than able to deal with terrorists.

I was also always disappointed that there wasn't a DS9 episode where the Defiant was sent to look for Voyager and then met the Marquis who were also, etc, etc...

And don't get my started on why First Contact didn't get a reaction out of Sisko!
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    hartzilla wrote: »

Or the 19th Century US Navy, who flew the flag to various countries, piracy patrol, set up coaling stations, colonies, did colonial supply runs, ext.

I love to see more Federation, Klingon, and other freighters.
    One model in Star Trek that has had the most appearances is the Jovis, Kivas Fajo's ship from TNG: The Most Toys. That ship was re-used so many times, it would be great to see that ship made playable. Perhaps it could be a Risa summer event reward.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    We already fly a staggering number of "non-faction" ships as a whole, but nearly all of them are some kind of military starship.

I would LOVE to see more of the "one-off kitbash" ships from the series make their way into the game as flyable ships. They don't even all have to be T6. There's room for them at sub-T6 tiers and as Admiralty fillers.

I've wanted a Tuffli forever, even now that they're not as useful as they used to be. It's beyond my reach, but I'd be pleased to see other civilian/mercenary ships in the game besides the ubiquitous generic freighter.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    I would say that most of the ships that would fall into this category would definitely be below T6, T5 maximum. As for the Tuffli, she's a nifty little ship. Great for RP, useless for combat. But, then again, you don't get that ship to take it into combat, at least, not seriously. It is fun to go into the Japori system and see how long you can last though.
    edited February 2016
    a sneaky edit in after the fact: 14th jan without a reply to the 24th feb. thats all i will state.

Nothing sneaky about it, I was getting ready to head out to work (2pm) and I clicked on the wrong button accidentally after attaching the vid, so I had to go back and add what I was going to say.

Didn't even know you posted a reply till I got home from work a little while ago. (11:30pm)
    (stop being paranoid, I wasn't referring specifically to you anyway)

As for the topic at hand, I too would love some more Non-Faction ships at any level.
    B)
    edited February 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    (stop being paranoid, I wasn't referring specifically to you anyway)

you just posted one of my best traits, paranoia is a way of life for me, if only i was being sarcastic. but then again you didnt mention whom you were referring to, so double edged sword, both of us made an error :p.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Generic alien ship designs do exist in the game and many of them look nice.
    I personally wouldn't be against them being added as t5 with the ability to upgrade, much like the kazon and other minor DQ race ships were.
    200px-Generic_Science_2_Type_2.png?version=d6123afbe0ec204707afa1db8d24b0af
    260px-Type_VII_Commercial_Laboratory.png?version=e17f33207f67e4cba5e2c14bb06c6a80
    260px-Generic_Battleship_Acamarian.png?version=bbf54e3de435ff2d0bb9648139c01cb9
    260px-ISS_Transport.jpg?version=da61676abb7a2198a3cec1dc9f5c17e8
    260px-Acamarian_Frigate.jpg?version=511bfecbb9491ed692c7fe1069abdae7

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    I personally wouldn't be against them being added as t5 with the ability to upgrade, much like the kazon and other minor DQ race ships were.
    260px-Type_VII_Commercial_Laboratory.png?version=e17f33207f67e4cba5e2c14bb06c6a80

apart from the first one, the rest have been around a while and the last one is a canon ship, seen at the end of the first episode of deep space 9 after the cardassians attempt to seize the station and sisko returns from the wormhole with a cardassian warship ship in tow.

the names given through the links suggest they are acamarian but only 3 of them are generic, ships 2-3-4.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

apart from the first one, the rest have been around a while and the last one is a canon ship, seen at the end of the first episode of deep space 9 after the cardassians attempt to seize the station and sisko returns from the wormhole with a cardassian warship ship in tow.

the names given through the links suggest they are acamarian but only 3 of them are generic, ships 2-3-4.

i know that was my point, they are already in the game but as npc's, the point i was making it that it wouldnt be hard or time consuming to make them player worthy.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Honestly I'd say this is a good idea, on the debate about what purpose they serve, who says they have to serve a purpose? Just release them as is with the kind of weapons/defenses a vessel of its kind would be expected to have and you'll still have people buying them either for a challenge, or the looks, or just for completion.

That, or if they absolutely have to have a purpose, maybe eventually they will add a proper colonization/management system to the game and these civvy ships can be bought for unique bonuses for those purposes.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    "That, or if they absolutely have to have a purpose, maybe eventually they will add a proper colonization/management system to the game and these civvy ships can be bought for unique bonuses for those purposes."

I can't see Cryptic retroactively giving unique abilities to ships that don't already have them, and I would expect them not to create ships without a good reason.

Maybe someday we'll get an exploration lockbox or something.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    i dont see these generic ships getting into player hands, they have had them for years and they have not been touched on since, when they were used for effect in the exploration dailies for the various made up races; vito'd, ken'shek, starlian, kibo cri'box and many others, these ships had a purpose but when all that went out the window and the only thing left of these generic races were at nimbus iii at hassan's bar and in orbit it looks like they could be scrapped altogether, considering the rate cryptic have retired content, i wouldnt be surprised if they never return.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually... certain of the NPC factions still use them. such as the Deferi and Acamarians.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg