test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Windows 10 - INSIDER BUILD 14257 breaks all things ARC. Including Startrek

** The following bug report has also been shared with Microsoft Windows Compatability team. **

I am on the Microsoft Insider quick ring so I get all the Insider builds to test and work out bugs before a general release. When the Startrek Shard came back up yesterday I loaded the game and played for about 10 minutes before the Criptic Crash hit me.

After that, I tried to rerun the ARC shell to get into the game Library and recieved a BSOD

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL NETIO.SYS

I also recieved a message that the newest Insider build had downloaded to my PC and was awaiting install. I installed the newest build.
With the newest build in place Neither the ARC shell or the shortcut to Startrek would load, I would get the "Working Pointer" for a couple of seconds and the driver would then return to the normal state and neither program would run, not even in Task Manager.

I rolled my OS back to the previous version and got the programs to load. Until the Build 14257 was again downloaded into the updates queue which again would give the BSOD when trying to run ARC or Startrek.

** Microsoft Bug report has been filed and is in the Queue. **

IF you are on the Microsoft Fastrack Ring for Insider Builds of Windows 10, and play any ARC games, you may wish to "Defer updates". I am not total sure if it will stop the updates from getting downloaded to your PC, but it may be worth a try. Also if you go into your report problems application from Microsoft for the Insider builds and search for Startrek, you should be able to add a "me too" and attempt to escalate the issue in the bug squashing.

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    New install of a W10 OS build, you may want to run compatibility troubleshooter for ARC and STO. This may clear up any issues!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    First thing I did before filing any reports or posting. Compatibility mode makes no difference on this error.
    edited February 2016
    A little hard to do when I am a beta tester for the OS. And although I can test a certain amount of it in a sandboxed system, there comes a point where it needs to be tested in a real world situation.

Better a few of us are inconvenienced, than just have an update go into the wild and shut everyone down. Especially since users of Windows 10 Home users do not have a way to turn off or defer critical updates. I can move my game play to my laptop or one of my other PCs. Not everyone has that option.
    Post edited by geezerpunk on
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    geezerpunk wrote: »
    First thing I did before filing any reports or posting. Compatibility mode makes no difference on this error.

Not compatibility mode, use the actual compatibility troubleshooter, as it can sometimes actually repair issues W10 has with some drivers and programs!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

Compatibility troubleshooter makes no difference.
    OK, Another new update of a Windows 10 Interim build and STO runs for me on the TRIBBLE server, nut still not HOLODECK. I even completely deleted the installation of ARC and STO from the computer and reinstalled ARC and STO. to the same result.

What would be loading so differently between the two servers that one would crash and the other not?
    edited February 2016
    Ok, I tried something unique.

Since I went to the drive that I installed STO on,
    I renamed the \Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Onine_en\Star Trek Onine\Live to Old_Live
    I then copied \Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Playtest
    Finally renamed \Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Onine_en\Star Trek Online\Playtest 2 to Live

It now enters into the game without problem. I will probably have to do this each time a new patch comes out until either Windows, STO, or (Nvidia if it is driver related) fixes the problem. But it does seem to be a work around at least for right now.