test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gorn Spam

Comments

• aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    my only issue with Gorn Mass-hysteria (which is what happens), its that it completely locks up chat for an hour at a time. Yesterday someone posted a gameplay question but it just got drowned out by "Gorn with the Wind!" "The Gorn Identity" etc etc . and there was an answer, but again that scrolled off the page quicker than anyone could read it.

there should either be a "help" channel (built-in, not opt-in) or a "bad Gorn jokes and sillyness" channel lol
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »
    my only issue with Gorn Mass-hysteria (which is what happens), its that it completely locks up chat for an hour at a time. Yesterday someone posted a gameplay question but it just got drowned out by "Gorn with the Wind!" "The Gorn Identity" etc etc . and there was an answer, but again that scrolled off the page quicker than anyone could read it.

there should either be a "help" channel (built-in, not opt-in) or a "bad Gorn jokes and sillyness" channel lol

you can pause and scroll back chat you know.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    cold4 wrote: »
    djxprime wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's a fact of life that general/zone chat in most MMOs are filled with garbage, whether it be Gorn jokes or racially insensitive or homophobic rants. Even WoW has those issues. Your best bet is to really just turn off Zone Chat. Nine times out of ten there is nothing worth seeing on there anyways.

Ignoring unsociable behaviour is not and cannot be the answer in any community.
    Oh for the love of Gorn get off your high horse. You don't like it turn off the zone chat. Stop trying to force your values on everyone. Stop trying to bully people to comply with your wishes. Oh yeah ignoring unsociable behaviour WORKS!

You sound like a Dental.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    If you are getting spam in chat or mail use the in-game reporting tool and the user can be set to be ignored.
    Just remember never to name and shame in place like these forums or you'll end up in trouble yourself!
  • cold4cold4 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    The OP is replying in a contrary, hostile manner to nearly every post in this thread where the poster disagrees with him.

Does this behavior meet the criteria his original post was firmly against? I put it to you, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Internet. Is his/her/whatever behavior the act known as spamming? Is he/she a producer of spam? And, if he/she is spamming about the behavior of other spammers does this not mean the pot has just called the kettle black?

Spam against people spamming Gorn jokes in Zone Chat in the game. Oh my!
    Whatever has the Internet degenerated to? :P

Please, please show me where I have been in anyay hostile towards anyone.

Objecting to ppl spamming in zone chat to the extent it prevents normal use of that chat facility by users of the game is, I would consider a perfectly normal reaction.

rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd kinda have to agree with you @thunderfoot006
    The OP seems to be taking it a bit personal, even with viable advice from veterans who are used to it, and may even take part every once in a while for a good laugh.

In all honesty, Gorn Jokes are innocent. Its the OTHER things that come up in Zone that need to be watched, such as the political rants that degrade into hate filled paranoia propaganda.

Perhaps then, if Cryptic were to monitor zone chat they could do both, control of one type of spam need not exclude others.

Ah but you've forgotten that some people think the 1st part of being a true Star Trek fan is having your sense of humor surgically removed. See it all the time ingame. Someone cracks a joke to ease the tension or th boredom and almost immediately somone else takes offense.

"Hurr Durr there! This is Star Trek! There is no funny ha-ha in Star Trek! The very idea! Hurr Durr! Stop having fun! Stop it I say!
    Stop playing this game if you cannot take it as seriously as I do! After all, this is an acceptable alternative to real life,
    hurr durr!"

I challenge you to explain why repeating the same film titles, lyrics or quotes with the word Gorn rammed into them with all the finesse of a Rhino mounting a rocking horse....and then repeating them again five or ten minutes later.

tousseau wrote: »
    Granted... I may be waaay off base here...

But...

Perhaps the OP is irritated by the Gorn nonsense because it keeps others from seeing his own rants?

If you are going fishing, you'll need better bait than that.
    semalda226 wrote: »
    HEY! I have the right to Gorn Spam just like.you have the right to Caitian Bacon or even Feresan Apple Pie! Gorn Spam for everyone!

Spamming is against the rules. So whether someone is doing it for a joke or not, if someone is spamming, they are breaking the rules.

so in that respect virtually everything you see on zone chat is spam if its not something you actually want to see which is basically most of what you see.
    perhaps they should remove chat altogether and just rely on personal mail from now on.
    why not join in for once and try to have some fun after all isn't that the whole point of the game.
    its not like its going on 24/7, its only once in a while and its not like its meant to upset anyone, its just to make people laugh and smile for a little bit.
    its especially useful during an event to break up the monotony of the grind for a few minutes.
    with whimsical names it the game like gorn and breen some players cant resist a bit of levity on the rare occasion, just live and let live and maybe join in once in a while, you might find how infectious the laughter can be and realise you have been missing out on a whole other facet of the game.

Bobby; shoehorning the word Gorn into various film titles regardless of whether it makes sense or not is not fun or funny.
    It does not just go for a few mins, it goes on for hours, the same tortured film titles with the same word, repetiton is an understatement.

that's just your opinion, when they make you zone chat censor you will have the right to dictate what can and cant be said in chat, until that time if others find it fun you have no right to dictate that it is not.

Actually, no it isn't JUST my opinion, numerous ppl voice the same objections in zone chat about the issue, I would suggest that it isn't the spamming that ppl find fun or funny, instead they do it because of the negative reactions it generates and it is this that the spammers find fun.

azrael605 wrote: »
    In the 4 plus years I have been playing STO I have gotten a grand total of 1 warning for chat behavior, and it sure wasn't for gorn jokes, more like a string of words beginning with F and suggestions for where another player could find good storage space for various large items, delivered in an extremely angry tone. Gorn jokes don't even pop on the radar of things needing moderation in chat as far as I can tell. As for chat in general, I spend most of my time with zone turned off, I am usually on the excellent NoP Public Service channel. I find zone to be mostly full of the people I want to avoid in general. Now I don't mean the Gorn guys by that, in fact stupid jokes are not a big bother to me, and as has been mentioned, every now and then one of them is brilliant, rare but it happens. Even over on NoP last night we had a guy trying out variations on Q's "Sea Gul" joke, for example, as an alternate answer "Gul Du-yacht", I'd mention his name but naming and shaming or fameing is frowned upon.

I assume that this person did not string together five minutes worth of these jokes....and then go to repeat the same jokes constantly for the next couple of hours. But, if he did could you tell me what would happen in this channel ?

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I normally keep my Chat on the NPC tab because I am usually just interested in what Rewards I have gotten and they stay around longer there because there is less silliness causing entries to overwrite sooner.

To stop that nonsense tell a Gorn 'joke'

So two Gorns come into a bar... I vaporized them. Any questions?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Only if we also get to similarly censor public whining about what other people are doing on zone chat.

*shrug* I'd much rather have Gorn jokes, 24/7, than the racist/sexist/otherwise-bigoted rants intermixed with incessant gold-spam we see otherwise. If you don't like it, turn it off.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
    edited February 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    HEY! I have the right to Gorn Spam just like.you have the right to Caitian Bacon or even Feresan Apple Pie! Gorn Spam for everyone!

Spamming is against the rules. So whether someone is doing it for a joke or not, if someone is spamming, they are breaking the rules.

so in that respect virtually everything you see on zone chat is spam if its not something you actually want to see which is basically most of what you see.
    perhaps they should remove chat altogether and just rely on personal mail from now on.
    why not join in for once and try to have some fun after all isn't that the whole point of the game.
    its not like its going on 24/7, its only once in a while and its not like its meant to upset anyone, its just to make people laugh and smile for a little bit.
    its especially useful during an event to break up the monotony of the grind for a few minutes.
    with whimsical names it the game like gorn and breen some players cant resist a bit of levity on the rare occasion, just live and let live and maybe join in once in a while, you might find how infectious the laughter can be and realise you have been missing out on a whole other facet of the game.

Bobby; shoehorning the word Gorn into various film titles regardless of whether it makes sense or not is not fun or funny.
    It does not just go for a few mins, it goes on for hours, the same tortured film titles with the same word, repetiton is an understatement.

that's just your opinion, when they make you zone chat censor you will have the right to dictate what can and cant be said in chat, until that time if others find it fun you have no right to dictate that it is not.

Actually, no it isn't JUST my opinion, numerous ppl voice the same objections in zone chat about the issue, I would suggest that it isn't the spamming that ppl find fun or funny, instead they do it because of the negative reactions it generates and it is this that the spammers find fun.

that is besides the point, whether it is just your opinion or others as well is immaterial, until it is cryptics opinion that this is done with malicious intent which it obviously isn't then you only have two choices, either join in the fun or close chat till the fun ends.
    there are numerous players who find it good harmless fun to take a break from the normal gameplay and share a bit of banter with each other and it isn't hurting anyone, its not using rude words that are not allowed, and its not attacking others for their race, gender or religious beliefs.

it only seems to be bothering the few players who cant see the fun in fun and they can easily turn off zone chat if they don't want to see these jokes just like you would turn off your tv set if there was a program on you didn't want to see.

once in a while its nice to have a laugh with other players with some gorn jokes, some breen puns, a bit of tribble witt and the odd slice of epohh jesting.

that's what zone chat is for, general chatter where you can say anything within the rules of the game that is not intended to be hurtful in any way.

• welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Cryptic, please put a stop to the constant and overwhelming Gorn spam, all other chat just gets swallowed up in the spam that seems at least to be on a 5 min repeat cycle.

LMAO. Yes, Gorn jokes are tired now, but there's already enough people reporting others for inane TRIBBLE or simply because they can't agree what Star Trak captain is best (when clearly it is Sheridan). Just man up and minimize your chat window ffs.
    T93uSC8.jpg

Bobby you seem insistent that users of zone chat make all the concessions, "pause and scroll back" or turn off zone chat. An alternative is that the Gorn spammers find the their own little used Gorner of the galaxy like Risa or Vulcan so that they can spam away to their hearts content. The added bonus being you will always have a receptive audience.
    edited February 2016

Bobby you seem insistent that users of zone chat make all the concessions, "pause and scroll back" or turn off zone chat. An alternative is that the Gorn spammers find the their own little used Gorner of the galaxy like Risa or Vulcan so that they can spam away to their hearts content. The added bonus being you will always have a receptive audience.

why should it be the players who enjoy all kinds of chat - jokes included - who need to find their own little used corner to chat, why not just make you own channel for serious chat only(no jokes allowed) and see how much company you get to chat with there.
    you can even moderate it yourself and tell players to leave if they don't follow your rules.

valoreah wrote: »

Like it or not, the people you are labeling as spammers have just as much right to use zone chat as you do. You're never going to control their behavior, so use the options available to you and save yourself a lot of grief.

Absolutely they do, they however do not have any right to take over said channel.

International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 additionally states that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "for respect of the rights or reputation of others"
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    Gorn jokes Breen around for a long time. I understand they can be annoying but you mustn't Klingon to the animosity.
    edited February 2016

why should it be the players who enjoy all kinds of chat - jokes included - who need to find their own little used corner to chat, why not just make you own channel for serious chat only(no jokes allowed) and see how much company you get to chat with there.
    you can even moderate it yourself and tell players to leave if they don't follow your rules.

You expect others who do not partake in this spamming to make concessions, whilst they are arguably in the majority.

Also, I have asked and I am yet to recieve an answer as to why repeating the same thing over and over for hours on end is funny, perhaps you could supply the answer?

NOTE: I said spammers, not people who tell jokes.

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    While it is a serious problem - about half the people I've met in missions who didn't know what to do and kept running around probably had their chat disabled because of all the Gorn ''''jokes'''' and other BS in Zone chat - I don't know what you expect them to do about it?

If someone would have to monitor chat all day and remove anyone who's repeatedly making the same Gorn jokes, that person would have to devote as much energy to it as it would take you to simply block those persons. Or make separate tabs for Zone chat.

Though perhaps they could create a filter, so that any post that contains a certain word won't show up in the chat box. Don't know how feasible that would be though.
    risian4 wrote: »
    While it is a serious problem - about half the people I've met in missions who didn't know what to do and kept running around probably had their chat disabled because of all the Gorn ''''jokes'''' and other BS in Zone chat - I don't know what you expect them to do about it?

If someone would have to monitor chat all day and remove anyone who's repeatedly making the same Gorn jokes, that person would have to devote as much energy to it as it would take you to simply block those persons. Or make separate tabs for Zone chat.

Though perhaps they could create a filter, so that any post that contains a certain word won't show up in the chat box. Don't know how feasible that would be though.

I take your point, there is however a mechanic in game already where you can report spam....would it be too much to expect a GM to repsond to these report and to moderate (as their title would suggest they do). Whilst initially this would mean that the GM's would have to devote a large amount of time to this task, it would relatively quickly reduce.

International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states [...]

... Seriously? Hoookay....
    [...] that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression;

Only person I see trying to interfere with anybody's 'right to freedom of expression' is you, dear.
    You expect others who do not partake in this spamming to make concessions[...]

Again, I see only one person in this thread expecting others to make concessions to suit themselves.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I created a Chat Tab just for Teams that I use for PVE or other times when grouped. Only stuff going there is the Team Chat. No excess stuff to contend with.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • wolfehunterswolfehunters Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Some people need to remove the Lirpa suck in there TRIBBLE. There are more important issues to be worried about in life than Gorn, Tribble or bacon spam. If these issue bother you should see medical treatment to your nearest Med center. May the Gorn be with you. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.