test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Nobody Else Reporting the Game Crashing???

Ok, I've looked thru the support & done a general search on the internet, & there seems to be nobody else talking about the game crashing randomly since the winter event started. The auto bug reporter activates & sometimes gets a report number but it never contains any information, but I submit it anyway.

I thought it was something to do with winter wonderland & thought it would go away after it had finished, but it has not. Also, before there are any who ask for my comps specs, I am currently playing on an old 8 year old HP with an ATI Graphics card, but this is happening to my son too, & his comp is as high spec as u can have. The only similarity between them is Windows 10, altho' his is a 64 bit system. We can't do any missions in the game because it would be pointless while it crashes for no reason at random, but frequent times.

If u are not aware of this then now u can get on it, if u are then why is it taking so long???

Comments

• hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    I had something like that some time ago - reinstalled all the CC+ Things (was guided through by a friend who works in IT) - so it wasn'T the game Client, it was an autoupdate that had F#ed up the Background programs
    Maybe you could try to reinstall some of those progs?
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Couple of quick questions, so I (and others) can get a better idea of any actions you have tried yourself.

1. Have you tried force verifying the game files in the launcher? - sometimes a minor glitch is insufficient to prevent the game starting but can trip it out at random moments.
    2. Do you allow the game to update as you play? in other words does new content patch when you enter a system or mission for the first time. - If so try disabling on demand patching in the launcher options.
    3. Have you noticed any apps such as x-box or photos (built-in windows apps) running after either computer has been running for a while, especially if you have not used them? - windows 10 has a slight issue with the superfetch service which manifests as random apps appearing to run without being called, whilst they appear not to use resources they do reserve memory blocks which reduces available ram. If the game doesn't have enough ram available to preload content or for specific code blocks to load to memory then it may simply just stop running.
    4. Does the game run in safe mode and is it stable - you should be offered a safe mode option when restarting after some crashes. If it does your issue may be settings related.

With #3, what you experience as an outright crash may be manifesting as freezing to others.

Other things you can try - check manually for windows updates, open start menu & choose settings, there should be an update category bottom left, when you open this there will be a manual check button. Sometime if an update fails it can be tagged in registry as complete and windows ignores it - running the registry clean option on ccleaner should clear this, also running ccleaner on your hard drive and defragging might be a good idea, sometimes crashes and glitches occur simply because it is taking the pc too much time to read a heavily fragmented drive.

The other thing I would say is just because there is no active fix available doesnt mean that it isn't being looked at (not defending anyone here, simply stating a fact) especially so when the issue is only experienced by a small percentage of users. The cause could be a single misplaced character in a million lines of code - think of reading a book which you have been told contains an error in a certain chapter, you can read the chapter several times and not notice the error until someone else points it out to you. With coding if the syntax appears correct then a debugger might not pick it up and a human coder looking at the code will suffer the same problem that you would with the book - the human eye/brain combination sometimes reads what is logically correct (or expected) rather than the error that is there.

• solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    OMG I'm having the same problem at the same time (mid Winter Event, naturally after buying the T6 Romulan Malen BoP) and I'm at the end of my rope with this game!

It seems to happen only when trying to do a Borg STF. I tried CC Advanced and was actually able to finish it! Yes, Ive tried verifying files, yes Ive tried 'Safe Mode', yes Ive tried turning off in-game updates, yes my drivers are all up to date and no other apps are choking things up in the background. I'll get 10-60 seconds into a Borg STF and the game just shuts off with that log report asking what I was doing at the time of the crash. I WAS filling it out EVERY SINGLE TIME . . . until I realized it wasn't sending.

Im running an ASUS R700V:
    Core i5 3235M, 2.6GHz
    Win 8.1
    8GB Ram
    1TB HD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M (2GB Card)

There is simply NO excuse for this 6 yr old game to NOT run like a dream on my machine at FULL.

Please help us.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • belatricisbelatricis Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    a friend and i have that problem since some months ago and no matter what we both do, the random crash still happens. We have done all that we found in the forums and in the automated responses in our mail to the help that both request.
    I hope that more people report it, and even complaint if necessary until that bug be fixed
    live long and prosper!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Have you tried adjusting the various video options in the game control menus?
    Perhaps you need to adjust those to lower levels?
    Your system appears to be similar to mine (though I'm not using ASUS and mines a Nvidia 720 card)
    Also, the last time my Nvidia driver updated, it didn't do a complete UNinstall of the old driver and I had problems with both STO and FALLOUT 4.
    Once I cleared out the old drivers and did a clean reinstall things worked.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    OMG I'm having the same problem at the same time (mid Winter Event, naturally after buying the T6 Romulan Malen BoP) and I'm at the end of my rope with this game!

It seems to happen only when trying to do a Borg STF. I tried CC Advanced and was actually able to finish it! Yes, Ive tried verifying files, yes Ive tried 'Safe Mode', yes Ive tried turning off in-game updates, yes my drivers are all up to date and no other apps are choking things up in the background. I'll get 10-60 seconds into a Borg STF and the game just shuts off with that log report asking what I was doing at the time of the crash. I WAS filling it out EVERY SINGLE TIME . . . until I realized it wasn't sending.

Im running an ASUS R700V:
    Core i5 3235M, 2.6GHz
    Win 8.1
    8GB Ram
    1TB HD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M (2GB Card)

There is simply NO excuse for this 6 yr old game to NOT run like a dream on my machine at FULL.

Please help us.

Agreed, considering I can run it at about the same level-with no particle physics though, but I turn that off anyway as it's annoying to see all of that stuff to me-on my Dell Inspiron laptop with these specs:
    Core i5 4200U, 1.6GHz, which can throttle up to 2.3GHz
    Windows 10
    8GB RAM
    1TB HD
    Intel HD Integrated Graphics 4400 (1GB video space)

Decent specs for a low-end Dell. And I at times can't even open up the game without it going not responding immediately or crashing right away.

Then again, there really isn't any reason for me to be getting blue screens of death within Win 10 while playing STO either. There WERE problems that I was told about from my friends who have NOT updated to Windows 10 that have both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 though...your problems might be due to that. And mine as well, being with Windows when you update to a new OS it just overwrites SOME of the old files of the OS and keeps others and this laptop was updated from Windows 8.1. You might have to uninstall and possibly reinstall the last major Windows Update-which should be the one from this Tuesday or the last Tuesday-to make your problems stop.
    Whats MORE frustrating to me is that I have no option to actually CALL someone to trouble shoot this over the phone. Instead, as customers, we get a long drawn out e-mail process that takes DAYS to resolve or respond to - and god help you if one of your mails contained a mis-communication that takes ADDITIONAL days to clarify or communicate. Additionally, (and thanks for the help, fellow forum users - but no luck with uninstalling/reinstalling drivers) but not to get a response on this forum by someone from the company in a timely fashion is ALSO annoying since this has been ongoing (for me at least) for over a MONTH!!!

Please PLEASE help/resolve!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Whats MORE frustrating to me is that I have no option to actually CALL someone to trouble shoot this over the phone. Instead, as customers, we get a long drawn out e-mail process that takes DAYS to resolve or respond to - and god help you if one of your mails contained a mis-communication that takes ADDITIONAL days to clarify or communicate. Additionally, (and thanks for the help, fellow forum users - but no luck with uninstalling/reinstalling drivers) but not to get a response on this forum by someone from the company in a timely fashion is ALSO annoying since this has been ongoing (for me at least) for over a MONTH!!!

Please PLEASE help/resolve!

Agreed, they should at the VERY least have a section to go to chat with a support agent and get answers. You mentioned drivers, though. What I suggested was a Windows Update. Did you try that? That was my problem with another issue, and it seems to have resolved my crashing issue. That is, unless the game freezes like it usually does for me when entering or leaving ESD or DS9. Then it usually crashes so hard I don't GET an report box.

My theory behind it is that MS sent out a bad update to Windows users of Windows 7 and 8.1 to try to get them to upgrade to Windows 10. I think that they forgot that Windows 10 has a cumulative update, so that means anyone who DID update from one of those OSs would also get some of those files and have problems with Windows 10 themselves, explaining my problem. This computer had Windows 8.1 on here when I received it, and I updated it to 10 that same day.
    One other thing that has occured to me for you guys to check ... when you crash out, open task manager and have a look at your hard drive usage %age. I have noticed on some applications that freezes or crashes occur if the drive hits max use for a prolonged period. It might be worth checking what is running or primed to run before you start the game - in all honesty things such as adobe updater, google updater, skype etc which are usually all set to run at windows start when installed don't need to be running and might just be enough to jam things up if they decide to access the hard drive whilst you are changing maps etc. The other thing is that in times past to have todays levels of storage multiple drives were commonplace - now storage space per drive has increased greatly in recent years but the data transfer rates haven't.

The other thing that may help with win 10 is to turn the superfetch service to manual start from automatic - this will prevent it trying to preload non-requested apps or updates when you are in-game.

Part of the problem is that whilst there are certainly quite a few of us experiencing some issues, there are at the same time players who are not experiencing any issues. Due to the variety of hardware, OS and ISP etc, which are all factors which can contribute it is difficult to suggest solutions other than the basics.

If anyone on windows 10 is having major issues, my thought would be to try and discover what their product key is (believe MS have an app to do this). Once you know what it is, download the appropriate version of windows 10 and create a USB boot from it and do a clean install - this should get rid of any corrupted files. As I didn't qualify for the free update due to running an enterprise version of win 8, I had to purchase a product key and download the ISO for a clean install - although I have had some issues (mostly with the built-in skype app and a webcam driver) I have had nowhere near the level of issues I have seen reported here and elsewhere.

• astral#0893 astral Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    everything that is turned off is off, & those who can run the game fine previous to this problem with graphics as high as they will go, shouldn't now have to turn them down. This has to be a Microsoft problem because they are welching on us, the customers in not providing a proper OS for each device. It seems that Arc doesn't monitor these forums & so aren't aware of the issue, but it might not be something they can make a fix for. Microsoft need to pull their finger out & produce specific OS's for comps & then there will be no hassle. The customer is always right.
    fediii wrote: »
    everything that is turned off is off, & those who can run the game fine previous to this problem with graphics as high as they will go, shouldn't now have to turn them down. This has to be a Microsoft problem because they are welching on us, the customers in not providing a proper OS for each device. It seems that Arc doesn't monitor these forums & so aren't aware of the issue, but it might not be something they can make a fix for. Microsoft need to pull their finger out & produce specific OS's for comps & then there will be no hassle. The customer is always right.

Unfortunately the "one for all" route seems to be the preferred option for microsoft and as far as my opinion goes what I want on my PC and Laptop isn't the same as I want on a mobile phone.

Remember that Microsoft have a track record on this, Vista was such a mess that they ended up extending the life of XP and added another service pack - iirc Vista was the first attempt to amalgamate desktop and mobile technologies to the same OS.
    If they must go down this route of one for all then at least include the option for desktop (and to a lesser extent laptop users) to turn off all mobile functions at installation. This would probably free up some memory & cpu time at least and cut down the boot times or rather the post boot time when the desktop is up but things are still loading.

I suspect that perhaps Cryptic are as much in the dark with this as the rest of us, especially considering the range of situations being experienced. Sorry, I can't provide any further suggestions just now - I will try and ask my son for suggestions next time we speak (he is an IT consultant so might be privy to some info which may help).

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    This issue is no different for myself, whether I use W7 32bit, W8, or W10 32bit!!!

Each and every OS, experiences the exact same crashing issues, something that was not relevant before S9 for myself!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I have reported a crash issue,I get a program not responding crash when I transfer maps.It doesn't happen all the time but some days are worse then others.From what I gather from reading the other posts,this might be an entirely different issue then others are experiencing.Support has been good to me in the past with resolving my issues in a timely manner,Usually a day or two.
  • ezesquireezesquire Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »
    I have reported a crash issue,I get a program not responding crash when I transfer maps.It doesn't happen all the time but some days are worse then others.From what I gather from reading the other posts,this might be an entirely different issue then others are experiencing.Support has been good to me in the past with resolving my issues in a timely manner,Usually a day or two.

I am suffering from the same problem as well.

But I am a new player and I heard it was a known issue so I let it go figuring they would fix the bug eventually. I used to report it every time but it happens at least once a day so I stopped after so many.
    Yup - and STILL not a single word from the company regarding clarification, acknowledgement or HELP with this issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I would also like to encourage people to file and post ticket numbers in order to help get this resolved. This is my latest one:

160126-000487
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeenatarzeenatar Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »

Zoning bug has bit me as well. I just got a new GFX card and drivers are freshly updated to the latest as well, and it still happens nonetheless. So, I started taking notes of what/where/when I get the game stalls and "not responding" issue. So far, it's always upon changing maps, that's as much as I can tell. I had one occurrence of game stall upon logging in the game where it wouldn't load the zone (it was Alpha Quadrant, once again).

I've force verified, checked for usage, etc., but I'll keep looking and I'll take notes, see if a pattern emerges.
    I would hazard a guess that the wide range of hardware configs and OS versions affected means it is difficult to identify the "rogue" element. Also because only a small percentage of users provide sufficient details regarding hardware, this can mean that it is difficult to identify common elements.

Also, I have said this before elsewhere but if the bug is a single wrong character somewhere in the code which according to the system passes syntax, then the human eyeball mk1 is the only detection means and finding a "," that should be a ";" in millions of characters of coding will be torture for whomever gets the job.

Best advice is to keep noting what happens, when it happens and any error codes etc displayed - if you feel confident enough to look at your PC's error logs noting what is occuring at the time of the crash might help and updating tickets with this data. Think of it as similar to going to the doctor - you don't just walk in and state you feel unwell, you generally explain the symptoms etc. In other words - the more data you can provide the better the chance of a cure or at least of some feedback with a workaround for the problem.
    Well, here's what the folder says in the crash folder for STO.

GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

Repeats the same thing over and over!!!

• blaise78blaise78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I also have the same problem so a couple of days ago I asked a member of my fleet about these crashes and he advised me to do any of the followings:

A ) Deactivate any processes and disable startup entries related to remote desktop programs like TeamViewer (use portable versions instead or install them onto another computer).
    B ) Turn off in-demand patching in launcher.
    C ) Run the launcher in extended window (not fullscreen, only stretching window).
    D ) Go to the launcher options and add -d3d9 to the command line area.
    E ) If ARC launcher is installed on machine, then uninstall STO launcher in ARC (before doing it, do a backup of updated files) and reinstall STO. And redo A, B and D steps after it.
    +
    F ) if nothing helps, uninstall STO again, then uninstall ARC also. After that reboot computer and then reinstall STO only without ARC reinstall.

Now I had A, B and D steps done yesterday, no problems at all right now!
    I'm currently engaged with tech support. The only useful thing I've discovered is that since the winter event - the launcher has decided to use my integrated memory card and ignore my 2GB NVIDIA one, even though STO recognizes that I have one when i look at my GFX settings IN GAME. Apparently this is causing the conflict and my crash issues in PvE. ALL of my drivers are up to date and Im being told to run the game in Safe Mode even though Ive already explained the game still crashes when I do this. I am NOT having this issue with any other games that are WAAAAY more advanced in specs and simply wouldnt be able to launch at ALL with my integrated card - IE - ARMA 3, DayZ, Garry's Mod, etc.

Seeing that no one from the game is responding to ANY of these posts - Ill try and keep you posted if I get a resolution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    160130 01:51:50 338 Client[0 P[3022038@5143432 Blood Rave 375@theraven2378]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

this is from my crash folder
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Excessive crashing for myself as of late!

Possible memory leakage detected, when trying to run client in compatibility mode.

Excessive CPU usage on an AMD Athlon X86 7550 dual core 2.5GHz processor.

Exceedingly high RAM consumption when switching maps, as in it keep getting larger the more you change them, as well as changing characters.

Initial startup, forces my processor to max out to the point of the game client becoming unresponsive, temporarily!!!

This is noticed from having the resource monitor open, monitoring all activity from the game client the entire time!!!

I'm currently engaged with tech support. The only useful thing I've discovered is that since the winter event - the launcher has decided to use my integrated memory card and ignore my 2GB NVIDIA one, even though STO recognizes that I have one when i look at my GFX settings IN GAME. Apparently this is causing the conflict and my crash issues in PvE. ALL of my drivers are up to date and Im being told to run the game in Safe Mode even though Ive already explained the game still crashes when I do this. I am NOT having this issue with any other games that are WAAAAY more advanced in specs and simply wouldnt be able to launch at ALL with my integrated card - IE - ARMA 3, DayZ, Garry's Mod, etc.

Seeing that no one from the game is responding to ANY of these posts - Ill try and keep you posted if I get a resolution.

Can you disable the on-board vga graphics from bios? You should be able to enter bios at boot by pressing delete/F2/F10 (or similar) when the POST screen shows (for the unsure the first screen when you turn power on - this may be a logo or a screenful of stats). Somewhere in the basic settings for most motherboards is an option to turn off/disable on-board vga.

If unsure look on the manufacturers website for PC or motherboard for more accurate instructions (sorry each system is slightly different so I can't be more specific)

edited January 2016

160130 01:51:50 338 Client[0 P[3022038@5143432 Blood Rave 375@theraven2378]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

Not sure if this helps but there is a post on Reddit with similar error codes - https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/33vsvy/request_assistance_game_keeps_crashing_at_sto/

and this archived post from Champions Online with same apparent issue, this is a wall of text but there seems to be a solution at the bottom which might give you a start - http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/212235/game-keeps-crashing-after-9-hours-of-downloading

Possible memory leakage detected, when trying to run client in compatibility mode.

Exceedingly high RAM consumption when switching maps, as in it keep getting larger the more you change them, as well as changing characters.

Initial startup, forces my processor to max out to the point of the game client becoming unresponsive, temporarily!!!

This is noticed from having the resource monitor open, monitoring all activity from the game client the entire time!!!

The mem leak would indicate probably the Reddit thread more relevant to yourself, Shadowwraith as it mentions a dodgy RAM stick.

CPU-wise I am a bit rusty on the Athlon DC's having switched to quad a few years back - try getting hold of AMD overdrive and allowing it to "control" the system. I generally switch all fans to manual and crank it up to 100% - not that this does much but running slightly cooler should help. Possible that some slight overclocking of processor speed will help - good thing with overdrive is that you don't have to permanently overclock your cpu, so there is not a constant overstress. If you are confident at handling the CPU check the heat paste between cpu and heat sink hasn't turned into a crumbly block of "cat litter" - renew if need be. (You shouldn't need to remove cpu entirely but I always unlock it to prevent any pin damage - so if the paste is fine the whole lot moves, if not just the heat sink will come loose.) Cleaning the heat sink fans out may be enough - amazing the amount of TRIBBLE (Carbon Residue and Associated Products) that gets sucked in there.

I checked my AMD quad core 3.5GHz from launcher to in-game on resource monitor - I get a peak of around 60% usage and 75% max frequency during loading but it settles back to 13% usage and 58% freq when settled (usually around 45-60 secs). Not sure if this will give you a comparison or not which will help. I did notice at the loading stage the client went unresponsive but this may be normal as everything is setting-up.

RAM between maps and characters suggests that unrequired data isn't flushing, I would guess the location data etc is being held for reuse - maybe manual setting of virtual memory might help encourage this data to be redistributed at the expense of added disk access, though possibly a marginal improvement it's worth a try. I would suggest 10Gb or so virtual memory if you have the hard drive capacity to spare, if not at least larger than your installed RAM. Also wondering if a RAM heat-spreader would help - high usage and consumption is going to generate extra heat and degrade performance. Perhaps fitting one of the stick-on spreaders that increases the surface area to aid cooling might help.

I'll have a dig around when I get a few moments and see if I can anything else that will help - my brain not up to much other than mindless genocide of "peaceful" Alien Species at this time of day (it's 10PM here just now for reference)

edited January 2016

Not sure if this helps but there is a post on Reddit with similar error codes - https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/33vsvy/request_assistance_game_keeps_crashing_at_sto/

and this archived post from Champions Online with same apparent issue, this is a wall of text but there seems to be a solution at the bottom which might give you a start - http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/212235/game-keeps-crashing-after-9-hours-of-downloading

The mem leak would indicate probably the Reddit thread more relevant to yourself, Shadowwraith as it mentions a dodgy RAM stick.

CPU-wise I am a bit rusty on the Athlon DC's having switched to quad a few years back - try getting hold of AMD overdrive and allowing it to "control" the system. I generally switch all fans to manual and crank it up to 100% - not that this does much but running slightly cooler should help. Possible that some slight overclocking of processor speed will help - good thing with overdrive is that you don't have to permanently overclock your cpu, so there is not a constant overstress. If you are confident at handling the CPU check the heat paste between cpu and heat sink hasn't turned into a crumbly block of "cat litter" - renew if need be. (You shouldn't need to remove cpu entirely but I always unlock it to prevent any pin damage - so if the paste is fine the whole lot moves, if not just the heat sink will come loose.) Cleaning the heat sink fans out may be enough - amazing the amount of TRIBBLE (Carbon Residue and Associated Products) that gets sucked in there.

I checked my AMD quad core 3.5GHz from launcher to in-game on resource monitor - I get a peak of around 60% usage and 75% max frequency during loading but it settles back to 13% usage and 58% freq when settled (usually around 45-60 secs). Not sure if this will give you a comparison or not which will help. I did notice at the loading stage the client went unresponsive but this may be normal as everything is setting-up.

RAM between maps and characters suggests that unrequired data isn't flushing, I would guess the location data etc is being held for reuse - maybe manual setting of virtual memory might help encourage this data to be redistributed at the expense of added disk access, though possibly a marginal improvement it's worth a try. I would suggest 10Gb or so virtual memory if you have the hard drive capacity to spare, if not at least larger than your installed RAM. Also wondering if a RAM heat-spreader would help - high usage and consumption is going to generate extra heat and degrade performance. Perhaps fitting one of the stick-on spreaders that increases the surface area to aid cooling might help.

I'll have a dig around when I get a few moments and see if I can anything else that will help - my brain not up to much other than mindless genocide of "peaceful" Alien Species at this time of day (it's 10PM here just now for reference)

Very good suggestions, but there is absolutely no degredation or physical issues stemming from the hardware.

My RIG is outdated yes, but has always been more than sufficient in running MMORPG's, and this game has never been an exception till S9 landed, and keeps getting worse with every new addition they make.

RIG

OS: W10 Home [have used prior to this OS, W7 32bit & W8]
      CPU: AMD Athlon 7550 X86 dual core 2.50 GHz [X64 capable]
      GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 or 650 1GB DX12 compatible [currently using 650]
      Chipset: Nvidia
      RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel [3.25 usable]
      DISK: 320GB SATA 3Gb/s @ 7200rpm
      PSU: 650W Ultra Professional LSP ATX
      This is a pretty basic rig, but has never had issues until S9 and beyond.

All hardware works 100%, has no errors reported, no physical dmg, and has tons of colling capacity made available to the point of never exceeding 42*C on any hardware EVER!!!

Memory is always an issue with 32bit systems, but this game originated with a 32bit OS back when WinXP was it's starting grounds.

3 32bit OS have had the same issue on my rig since S9+, 4GBT has little effect, PAE doesn't make any difference either, so I am blaming the game client optimization as the leading cause or a possible corrupted file, but files are always force verified constantly and no such errors have happened, just CTD woopsie TRIBBLE.

It's not like Cryptic hasn't been sent full crash reports from me, but seems they haven't done any tinkering to resolve such issues like these, if ever!!!

edited January 2016

Very good suggestions, but there is absolutely no degredation or physical issues stemming from the hardware.

My RIG is outdated yes, but has always been more than sufficient in running MMORPG's, and this game has never been an exception till S9 landed, and keeps getting worse with every new addition they make.

RIG

All hardware works 100%, has no errors reported, no physical dmg, and has tons of colling capacity made available to the point of never exceeding 42*C on any hardware EVER!!!

Memory is always an issue with 32bit systems, but this game originated with a 32bit OS back when WinXP was it's starting grounds.

3 32bit OS have had the same issue on my rig since S9+, 4GBT has little effect, PAE doesn't make any difference either, so I am blaming the game client optimization as the leading cause or a possible corrupted file, but files are always force verified constantly and no such errors have happened, just CTD woopsie TRIBBLE.

It's not like Cryptic hasn't been sent full crash reports from me, but seems they haven't done any tinkering to resolve such issues like these, if ever!!!

Does the motherboard have a Realtek NIC/Ethernet card fitted? Should find the info in device manager - if so right click and select properties, look for interrupt moderation and disable this. Aparently it works for Neverwinter so might also work for STO.

Otherwise I will keep an eye open for anything else which might help.

Edit: Interrupt moderation is under the advanced tab in the network card properties.
      edited January 2016

RIG

Does the motherboard have a Realtek NIC/Ethernet card fitted? Should find the info in device manager - if so right click and select properties, look for interrupt moderation and disable this. Aparently it works for Neverwinter so might also work for STO.

Otherwise I will keep an eye open for anything else which might help.

Edit: Interrupt moderation is under the advanced tab in the network card properties.

Nope, it does however have a 56k modem, and a Nvidia 10/100 ethernet card.

Ahhhhh yeaaaaaah baby, a 56k modem, oh yeah......no but really, I have gone from being able to play for roughly hours before a crash occurs, to now only roughly 10-20mins. mostly since their recent hotfixes and event, heck it even crashes on log outs as well.

There has been several complaints, from users about crashing issues as of late!!!