test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Q vs. Nagilum ?

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
edited January 2016 in Ten Forward
I was watching "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Where Silence Has Lease episode and i could not help but wonder could Nagilum be able to trap and study Q. would love to know your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Hi,
    Moved your thread to more appropriate section.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    That is an interesting question. They are certainly both at an advanced stage of evolution. It would be hard to imagine an entity with powers surpassing the Q.

There are others that could also be taken into consideration as well. The Organians and the Douwd for example, these races demonstrate advanced abilities far beyond those of most species. It would be safe to say that they are at a similar stage of evolution. But, which would be more powerful? That is a very good question indeed.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    In the episode where he is depowered, Q refers casually to "changing the gravitational constant of the universe" as his solution for the falling moonlet. AFAIK, nobody besides the Q have claimed to be able to alter physics on a universe-wide scale.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm... then there's the possibility that Nagilum WAS Q. IIRC there was a behind the scenes thing where it was mentioned that some of the particularly stupid stuff that happened to Picard was actually just Q.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Q are definitely the most powerful of the gods in the ST universe.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Hmm... then there's the possibility that Nagilum WAS Q. IIRC there was a behind the scenes thing where it was mentioned that some of the particularly stupid stuff that happened to Picard was actually just Q.
    it could not have been Q .he at some point would have let picard know it was him.besides Nagilum wanted to kill half of the crew just to see different ways of dieing Q would have killed them all then bring them back to life
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Q is certainly at the top end of superhuman/god-like aliens. Nagilum seems less powerful. The whole "kill half the crew" thing would seem pretty pointless for Q. He could probably kill and bring them back as he likes. Or he could create a copy of the crew and play around with that.

A being more powerful than Q would be pretty much meaningless to us.

His motivations seem a bit unclear to me. A being of his power and his knowledge - can he really be surprised by what Picard does? Did he really not anticipate Sisko hitting him? Did he fail to anticipate the end of Quinn?
    Or is he like someone that is reading a novel he already read before - he knows all the twists and turns, but he likes experiencing them, watching how these things happen? Maybe the last wonder that is left for a being that can alter the laws of physics at its whim?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Q is certainly at the top end of superhuman/god-like aliens. Nagilum seems less powerful. The whole "kill half the crew" thing would seem pretty pointless for Q. He could probably kill and bring them back as he likes. Or he could create a copy of the crew and play around with that.

A being more powerful than Q would be pretty much meaningless to us.

His motivations seem a bit unclear to me. A being of his power and his knowledge - can he really be surprised by what Picard does? Did he really not anticipate Sisko hitting him? Did he fail to anticipate the end of Quinn?
    Or is he like someone that is reading a novel he already read before - he knows all the twists and turns, but he likes experiencing them, watching how these things happen? Maybe the last wonder that is left for a being that can alter the laws of physics at its whim?

i think Q's fascination with us is are ability to go to extremes on the fly it makes us very unpredictable.thats why he always played games with us.i think with picard he loved the fact that he no matter the problem tried hard to stick with his beilefs no matter what was happening.i am surprised that they never made a movie with him in it after what he said on the last episode that he will always be watching.i also think after that episode Q looked at picard has a friend and not just your every day human
  • Options
    it could not have been Q .he at some point would have let picard know it was him.besides Nagilum wanted to kill half of the crew just to see different ways of dieing Q would have killed them all then bring them back to life
    That or Q was messing with them to see how they'd react? That episode with the time vortex that only cared about Picard? Yeah that was written as the work of Q, but that detail got cut. It was planned to have been mentioned the next time Q showed up in person.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    That or Q was messing with them to see how they'd react? That episode with the time vortex that only cared about Picard? Yeah that was written as the work of Q, but that detail got cut. It was planned to have been mentioned the next time Q showed up in person.
    your thinking of a difrent episode the one i am talking about the Enterprise becomes enveloped by a void in space.no matter what they do they cant get out then an other ship appears and they send an away team over but when they do a hole in the void appears and closes when the away team get back.
    then Nagilum shows up
  • Options
    your thinking of a difrent episode the one i am talking about the Enterprise becomes enveloped by a void in space.no matter what they do they cant get out then an other ship appears and they send an away team over but when they do a hole in the void appears and closes when the away team get back.
    then Nagilum shows up
    I was drawing a parallel. In both eps something REALLY stupid happens. Something that seemingly defies the laws of physics (from an in-universe perspective).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing