test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Garidians - possible new assets for the Romulans?

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Romulan Discussion
The Garidian Republic is an entity portrayed in the point and click adventure "Star Trek: A Final Unity" by Microprose and Spectrun Holobyte, published in 1995.

Now, neither the devlopers nor the publisher of this game still exist. This is what got me thinking wether it would make sense for STO to start looking into the matter, wether those rights could be obtained. In theory, the Garidian Republic, a protectorate of the Romulan Star Empire, would have been the better "Romulan Republic", in my opinion. The Republic is already there, they shared technology with the Romulans and even used D'Deridex Warbirds, albeit in a different colour pattern. With the fall of Romulus they could have offered shelter for willing Romulans and fought the Tal Shiar and remnants of the Empire.

That didn't happen, obviously, but Garidian uniforms, technology and people could complement the Romulan-flavoured subfaction. Wether or not it is realistic that the legal issues could be resolved, what do you think about it?
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd rather have Acamarians and Suliban. Besides what would they gain from having Garidians other than Romulans with white hair?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd rather have Acamarians and Suliban. Besides what would they gain from having Garidians other than Romulans with white hair?

Less work and more stuff to sell? :D

Different traits, maybe some unique ship modifications like Garidian Warbirds.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Garidian Republic is an entity portrayed in the point and click adventure "Star Trek: A Final Unity" by Microprose and Spectrun Holobyte, published in 1995.

Now, neither the devlopers nor the publisher of this game still exist. This is what got me thinking wether it would make sense for STO to start looking into the matter, wether those rights could be obtained. In theory, the Garidian Republic, a protectorate of the Romulan Star Empire, would have been the better "Romulan Republic", in my opinion. The Republic is already there, they shared technology with the Romulans and even used D'Deridex Warbirds, albeit in a different colour pattern. With the fall of Romulus they could have offered shelter for willing Romulans and fought the Tal Shiar and remnants of the Empire.

That didn't happen, obviously, but Garidian uniforms, technology and people could complement the Romulan-flavoured subfaction. Wether or not it is realistic that the legal issues could be resolved, what do you think about it?

I think that assets from a defunct company are even less likely to end up in STO than ones that still exist because the copyright issues become that much more complicated. This is a non-starter.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    I think that assets from a defunct company are even less likely to end up in STO than ones that still exist because the copyright issues become that much more complicated. This is a non-starter.

He's quite right.

One pig mistake fans sometimes make is that the content produced by other companies is neither canon, nor is it an asset that Cryptic can access without significant cost.

The only assets Cryptic has access to are the TV series and the movies up to but not including the reboot by JJ.

Some small aspects of the comics have made it into the game, and a few assets from the books (Vesta).
    edited January 2015
    He's quite right.

One pig mistake fans sometimes make is that the content produced by other companies is neither canon, nor is it an asset that Cryptic can access without significant cost.

The only assets Cryptic has access to are the TV series and the movies up to but not including the reboot by JJ.

Some small aspects of the comics have made it into the game, and a few assets from the books (Vesta).

Which is why I asked for opinions, never mind the legal hassle. One can discuss without twenty "legal" postings, right? ;)

It is interesting that the game in question came up with Garidians and it didn't seem odd in the slightest. When you played A Final Unity, the intro sequence opened up with Garidians, not Romulans but it felt right and worked. STO always takes a sledgehammer to smash canon elements to pieces. I wish they would come up with more plausible original creations.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I loved playing Final Unity back in the day. It was such a great game. Hence why I created a Garidian toon for myself with a Garidian fleet to match (1st Free Garidian Squadron). I would like to see the Garidians make their way into STO if possible. They'd make a great addition to the story line. From where Final Unity left off, I believe it would have gone something like this:

Following the recovery of the Lawgiver’s 5th Scroll, fundamental questions about the foundation of Garidian society began to surface among the plebian underclass. Demonstrations, protests, debates, and reform initiatives took root and spread like wildfire throughout the populace. The plebeians, emboldened by the revelations the 5th Scroll revealed about the Lawgivers’ philosophy, sought increased influence and power in deciding affairs of state. The patricians, desperate to preserve the privileged way of life that they had enjoyed for centuries at the expense of the plebeians, stubbornly rejected calls for reform. The plebeians advocated with great intrepidity and zeal in the courts and forums of Garid, hoping that justice would be done, and that the Lawgiver’s true vision would finally come to fruition.

The great debate came down to a final decision in Garid’s highest court, which would determine nothing less than the future of Garidian society. When the court ruled the 5th Scroll a forgery, its contents rejected, and the scroll itself to be destroyed, the planet Garid rapidly descended into chaos and civil war. Fighting would go on for years, scarring the face of the planet and deeply dividing its people. The bulk of the Garidian fleet, largely crewed by plebeians with patrician officers, fell on the side of the revolution and refused orders from the patrician admiralty. Several squadrons and key logistical and fleet support facilities orbiting Garid remained under loyalist control, discouraging revolutionary forces from participating in large fleet engagements, fearing irreparable losses.

After 4 years of bloodshed, plebeian forces appeared on the brink of success, having driven their patrician enemies to their final stronghold in the capital city. However, the final thrust toward victory was suddenly and violently halted with the intervention of Imperial Romulan forces under the direction of the Tal Shiar. Like a wave over the shore, the Romulans swept in and crushed plebian forces besieging the capital. The plebian fleet, outnumbered and outmatched by their new Romulan adversaries, fled Garid, taking refuge in whatever port may allow them brief periods of sanctuary. The patricians, reasserted their control over Garid with Romulan forces occupying the planet, buttressing the patrician regime.

The vagabond plebian fleet, wandered from world to world always trying to stay one step ahead of the Tal Shiar, until the day they made contact with D’Tan. They were each what the other needed, a vast increase in the strength of Republic forces, and a new place to finally call home. With open arms, D’Tan welcomed the Garidians into the Romulan Republic as equal partners. They now defend New Romulus with the same zeal that they showed in the fight to bring change to Garid. And though they now have a new future to build, in the hearts of each Garidian there is the hope that one day they will return to Garid bearing with them the true philosophy of the Lawgiver and that of the Romulan Republic, to be shared with every Garidian.
    @wakeroberts

Interesting take. Mine's a bit different, here's my in-game char bio:

Commander An'Wamane, Garidian Republican Guard

The Garidian Republic with it's capitol on the Planet Garid has been a protectorate of the Romulan Star Empire at least since the early 23rd century. Phisiologically, Garidians are very similiar to Romulans albeit they more often than not feature bright white and silver hair. Although historical sources are lost, it is a common theory that the original Garidian colonies were founded by common Vulcanoid ancestors. The Empire trusted the Republic enough to engage in large scale technological exchange, including surplus Romulan starships for the Republican Guard.

Garidian society is split into two classes; Patricians (the upper class) and Plebians (the lower class). The structure of the society is based on the four scrolls written by the Lawgiver in ancient times. The first scroll defines the Garidians' code of honor. The second defines the relationship between the military and the government. The third scroll outlines the Garidians' religion. Finally, the fourth scroll defines the privileges and responsibilities of the Patrician class.

Garidian legend states that the Lawgiver also wrote a fifth scroll that outlined the rights and privileges of the Plebian class. However, the Patricians forced the Lawgiver and his followers to flee Garid, before he could reveal his fifth scroll.
    In the 2360's, the Plebian-born social revolutionary, Lucana, believed that if she could recover the fifth scroll it could cause the oppressed lower class to rebel against their Patrician masters.

With the help of the crew of the USS Enterprise under Captain Jean-Luc Picard the revolutionists were able to locate the Fifth Scroll (Star Trek TNG - A Final Unity). The long lost artifact's recovery lead to a violent revolution throughout the Republic which was finally calmed by the reformation of the council under former Republican Guards' Captain Pentara in the outgoing 24th century.

Further, I took the stance that the Garidians managed to calm unrest especially after the revolution unveiled the stron Romulan influence in the Patrician government which led to the end of the civil war and the reformation of the council. When Romulus fell, the Garidians were just one albeit one of the better organised and stronger fractions in Romulan territory. Due to the discovery of Romulan interference they were generally sympathetic with D'Tan and went out of their way to support the New Romulan Republic but under Garidian lead. When stray Borg passed through Garidian space and laid waste to large portions of the infrastructure, the fleet and outposts D'Tan helped out but now 'swallowing' the Garidians into the New Republic, essentially turning the tables. However the new Republic is a glimmer of hope to end manipulation and promote cooperation once again.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Romulans with white afros....

well 10yrs it might be abandonware now and usable but somehow I doubt it