test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Millennium Falcon or Starship Enterprise? What would you pick?

2»

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    They were trying to capture the Tantive not destroy it.

Which explains a number of oft-cited complaints about ANH, actually. The supposedly poor marksmanship of the Death Star's stormtroopers, for example: Tarkin and Vader explicitly wanted Luke et al. to escape so they could follow the Falcon to the Rebel Alliance's military headquarters, so naturally they would have ordered the stormies to miss. To borrow a line from another genre entirely, "It takes a good marksman to hit a moving target, but it takes a great marksman to miss while making it look like you were trying to hit them. Or markswoman as the case may be."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Which explains a number of oft-cited complaints about ANH, actually. The supposedly poor marksmanship of the Death Star's stormtroopers, for example: Tarkin and Vader explicitly wanted Luke et al. to escape so they could follow the Falcon to the Rebel Alliance's military headquarters, so naturally they would have ordered the stormies to miss. To borrow a line from another genre entirely, "It takes a good marksman to hit a moving target, but it takes a great marksman to miss while making it look like you were trying to hit them. Or markswoman as the case may be."
    On the other hand, in RotJ the Emperor sent "a legion of my best troops" to Endor - where they were promptly overwhelmed by teddy bears armed with sticks and rocks.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    'pride goeth before the fall'

those aren't just words​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

On the other hand, in RotJ the Emperor sent "a legion of my best troops" to Endor - where they were promptly overwhelmed by teddy bears armed with sticks and rocks.

No argument from me; there's a reason ROTJ is generally considered the weakest of the OT movies.

One of Tim Zahn's fix fics was directed at that, incidentally: Thrawn apparently suggested they at least spray defoliant around the installation to clear lines of sight and fire, but the Emperor discounted the Stone Age natives as a credible threat (one of the key tenets of the Empire in the EU was human supremacism) and/or thought it might make the Rebels think the installation wasn't a vulnerable enough target. (Don't know which because Legacy of the Force turned me off of the EU.)

Palpatine was modeled after Hitler, and they're not just similar in their appetite for mass murder: they're both passable administrators and good at manipulating people, but they're also overly meddlesome in things they don't understand, such as high-level military planning (Palpatine was a career politician in public, and Hitler topped out at corporal). The free world can be eternally thankful for a number of instances of Der Fuhrer meddling in military affairs, such as his wunderwaffen obsessions and having the Me 262 redeveloped as a tactical fighter-bomber (for use against a large-scale amphibious invasion) instead of an interceptor as was originally planned (as a hard counter to Allied bomber wings). Similarly, at Endor, Palpatine misprioritized: Vader openly states that the Empire knows the Rebels are getting ready to attack, even which planet they're staging from. A quick strike by the Imperial Navy could have crippled the Rebellion, but Palpy was trying to make Luke go Sith, and wanted to do so taking the Rebels out in grandiose fashion with the superlaser.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's no evidence Death Star II: Electric Boogaloo was built only after Death Star I: Original Flavor was destroyed. In fact, the plans existed as far back as the prequels, meaning it took twenty years to finish DSI:OF; it seems unlikely they'd only build the one superweapon when they have the plans and it takes that long to complete. (It seems unlikely to me that only two were built, for that matter - someone could always discover where the Emperor's secret third Death Star is hidden, abandoned but nearly complete...)

that is certainly a far better explanation than asking someone to actually believe that it took over 21 years (because remember that it was originally a CIS superweapon before the empire got hold of it) to build a 120 kilometer station, yet the 900-kilometer version took only 4​​

Much of those 4 years were likely spent retrofitting the new Death Star to correct the design flaws that doomed the first version--they increased the anti-fighter defenses, eliminated any exhaust ports large enough for munitions to pass through, and altered the superlaser so that it could fire fleet-destroying blasts with only minutes of charging up instead of only pla

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

The marksmanship of the stormtroopers in ANH and TESB has never being one of my complaints. It's clear to me that the heroes never get killed as they're constantly being tracked. When it comes to people who aren't being tracked (The Tuskens, the Rebels on Hoth etc.) The Stormtroopers are exactly as good as you'd expect.

I don't really like RotJ for a number of reasons but mostly the flanderisation of the Empire. Even with those bits it's still my third favourite (after RotS and TESB).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Actually, I think the question is moot. Personally, I'd simply take the Enterprise-D and replace the saucer with the Falcon this way I get the best of both worlds. :D
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The marksmanship of the stormtroopers in ANH and TESB has never being one of my complaints. It's clear to me that the heroes never get killed as they're constantly being tracked. When it comes to people who aren't being tracked (The Tuskens, the Rebels on Hoth etc.) The Stormtroopers are exactly as good as you'd expect.

I don't really like RotJ for a number of reasons but mostly the flanderisation of the Empire. Even with those bits it's still my third favourite (after RotS and TESB).​​
    Of course it's your third favorite...there have only been three films so far. And RotS...I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean ANH...right?
    *scans for neural parasites*

Also.... in episodes 4-6 all Stormtroopers were male since they were essentially the clone troops from Clone Wars. That may have changed after Episode 6 though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    The GFFA has always been depicted as a spiral galaxy, which places narrower constraints on its size than the range for galaxies in general. As such, the diameter of its disk is probably within a factor of three greater or lesser than our own galaxy's.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    coldnapalm wrote: »

I don't really like RotJ for a number of reasons but mostly the flanderisation of the Empire. Even with those bits it's still my third favourite (after RotS and TESB).
    Of course it's your third favorite...there have only been three films so far. And RotS...I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean ANH...right?
    *scans for neural parasites*

Also.... in episodes 4-6 all Stormtroopers were male since they were essentially the clone troops from Clone Wars. That may have changed after Episode 6 though.

The clones all aged out of effectiveness by the time of 'Rebels' (whilst also looking nothing like the already old clones from 'The Clone Wars'). Going by the wildly different heights and the american (rather than New Zeeland) accents, Stormtroopers are not clones.

As the EU is not canon any more, the Stormtroopers could be anything under the helmets, Zabrak, Chiss, Rattataki, Umbarans, females. It's only the helmetless officers that are certainly 100% white Human males.

Behind the scenes some pilots and scout troopers were female, most of the sandtroopers were black and the snowtroopers were Norwegian.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Millenium Falcon because I don't need a crew of several hundred to man it. Think of the salaries I'd save. Plus Star Wars is always superior.

Not anymore. Not since all that EU TRIBBLE was rendered non-canon.

1: don't spam-post the exact same thing over a week apart

2: most of it was not TRIBBLE; not in the slightest - there's a reason timothy zahn is almost a household name​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I haven't read enough to know how much of the writing was TRIBBLE, but some of the story concepts were severely dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    I would select Enterprise D, based on information because it has the ability to replace fuel lost...

However, Enterprise J would be sweet if it had the same (even if advanced and more developed/refined capabilities than the D).

Just park the city ship in the oceans of Earth, stock up on crew, produce and all that, then take off and explore the galaxy with the crew of thousands upon thousands... maybe even establish colonies with it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    ...there's a reason timothy zahn is almost a household name​​
    "Cascade Point", which won the Hugo for Best Short Story in '84.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    There is no contest. Enterprise every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    MILLENNIUM FALCON OR STARSHIP ENTERPRISE? WHAT WOULD YOU PICK?

Klingon Bird of Prey.
    What? Only between the two? Eh, sorry. Umm, lemme think...

Hmmm

Ummmm

Well...

I think....

Who am I kidding, Enterprise, no freaking contest.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.