Comments

• Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    yeah Cryptic is in the big leagues now that they have their endorsement :D
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Despite all the griping in the forums, STO really is one of the best MMOs for F2P. Subscribe for 1 month for the unlocks and you can fly free (for grind) event ships without spending another dime.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Grats Cryptic folks!! It's well deserved! o:)

Though how DC Universe beat out Champions Online for top 10 free superhero games is beyond me. Good lord that game sucks.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Despite all the griping in the forums, STO really is one of the best MMOs for F2P. Subscribe for 1 month for the unlocks and you can fly free (for grind) event ships without spending another dime.

That, plus if you're a Trek fan then you must play this game. Period. (eg. if you're not playing then you're not a trek fan lol...)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015

and you forgot to say star trek online is number 1.

well done cryptic.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    mementoedenmementoeden Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »

That, plus if you're a Trek fan then you must play this game. Period. (eg. if you're not playing then you're not a trek fan lol...)

Why is that ? Because it so closely follows the exploration, mystery, deep thinking of the series of Star Trek... ? Did you mean JJ trek...that would make sense.....

I guess those people dont consider PoE as MMORPG because that game is free, everything except cosmetics... strange though while its not so much a massive multiplayer game then some of those mentioned it has similar mechanics to STO, it has instances and most number of the people possible can be found in social zones.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Why is that ? Because it so closely follows the exploration, mystery, deep thinking of the series of Star Trek... ? Did you mean JJ trek...that would make sense.....

I guess those people dont consider PoE as MMORPG because that game is free, everything except cosmetics... strange though while its not so much a massive multiplayer game then some of those mentioned it has similar mechanics to STO, it has instances and most number of the people possible can be found in social zones.
    "deep thinking" was never the strong suit of Star Trek. Also, it makes for boring games.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

well done cryptic.

STO is in fact the first one on the list, but nothing the writer says suggests the order of the list means anything. The fact that they have Marvel Heroes as #3 even though they don't actually like it suggests the order is meaningless.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    STO is equally amongst the best and worst F2P MMOs, depending on which of those curious promotion/blogsites you look.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    I don't know who made this list, but placing DCUO among the 10 must be kidding ...
    100% dead game, the queue there takes 3 hours to start (this reminds me another game), all maps there are empty and when you find some other player on your side is reason to be amazed! but I must admit when this game was released was a fever, at least pvp there was a lot of fun, 10x10! (people here would cry to see one player there alone tanking and killing all others 10 without any help, good memories)
  • Options

Nooooooooooooooooooope...........

1xjhDXe.jpg

But because no other game lets you play this sucker. Unless you consider Trexels a game lol...

Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    It's true - I'm here for the Trek, while others are clearly here just because they're addicted to MMOs in general.

Congrats to Cryptic, well-deserved. I've been playing since open beta, and can attest to the many improvements made over the years.

Call me selfish, but I think there should be a thank you gift of some kind for the loyal player base.

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    It's true - I'm here for the Trek, while others are clearly here just because they're addicted to MMOs in general.

Congrats to Cryptic, well-deserved. I've been playing since open beta, and can attest to the many improvements made over the years.

Call me selfish, but I think there should be a thank you gift of some kind for the loyal player base.

Ah , they already gave out half of the cash shop. Last was the *full* ENT pack. They can't be more generous than that.....

Wait they can! They can start pooping out KDF and rom science ships and carriers .......... hahhaahahah /evil laugh
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    When I first saw this thread I was honestly expecting sarcasm.

I am pleasantly surprised that its a legit compliment, and I can honestly say that it is awesome that we got in the top ten best F2P MMORPG list!

YEEHAW!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

well done cryptic.

STO is in fact the first one on the list, but nothing the writer says suggests the order of the list means anything. The fact that they have Marvel Heroes as #3 even though they don't actually like it suggests the order is meaningless.
    Maybe even the list itself is... It's certainly too short for anyone to really make a decision for himself. But at least it's an article that names a few games, maybe it's giving some people ideas what to check out next.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Well, I messaged the guy who wrote the article on twitter to try to clarify how he intended the list to be read, and for some reason he will *not* give me a straight answer:

I can't believe he actually said he was giving me a simple answer.

"Yes and no"

"reading it that way isn't wrong"

"it's a valid reading of what I wrote either way"

That's *not* simple answer, that is dodging the question and spin. I'm not sure what he is afraid of or why he can't give a direct answer to a simple question, but he obviously isn't going to, so I give up.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »

Deep thought? Like the absolutely impossible idea to hide in a nebula? Or perhaps the equally impossible idea to hide a ship in a planet's magnetic pole? maybe its things like when they declare they are going to bombard a planet with massive amounts of "harmless" UV radiation (TOS Operation: Annihilate)? Or maybe Spock's unimaginably stupid comments about how the evil rapist Kirk transporter clone was appealing to his victim Yeoman Rand? Or the "space Africans" episode of TNG? Or Sisko getting off scot free after violating a weapons ban treaty signed by every alpha and beta quadrant power (DS9 For the Uniform)? I can keep going all day with this stuff but the point is, anyone who thinks Trek was ever full of "deep thoughts" is kidding themselves.

Nice nitpicking there... Considering other series ST is a deep thinking title you quoting some obscurities does not deny that. ST had a deep impact on many views and is considered a prime pillar in broader sci fi culture even if it had some badly implemented episode like some you mentioned, as a whole it stands out so nobody is kidding himself for saying that.

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    To self:
    Ignore the troll, ignore the troll...

Must... not... ... ... reply... {ungh}
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options

Deep thought? Like the absolutely impossible idea to hide in a nebula? Or perhaps the equally impossible idea to hide a ship in a planet's magnetic pole? maybe its things like when they declare they are going to bombard a planet with massive amounts of "harmless" UV radiation (TOS Operation: Annihilate)? Or maybe Spock's unimaginably stupid comments about how the evil rapist Kirk transporter clone was appealing to his victim Yeoman Rand? Or the "space Africans" episode of TNG? Or Sisko getting off scot free after violating a weapons ban treaty signed by every alpha and beta quadrant power (DS9 For the Uniform)? I can keep going all day with this stuff but the point is, anyone who thinks Trek was ever full of "deep thoughts" is kidding themselves.

Nice nitpicking there... Considering other series ST is a deep thinking title you quoting some obscurities does not deny that. ST had a deep impact on many views and is considered a prime pillar in broader sci fi culture even if it had some badly implemented episode like some you mentioned, as a whole it stands out so nobody is kidding himself for saying that.

Lol, TWOK is an obscurity? Generally considered the best of the Trek films its entire climax is built on an impossibility (thats the nebula BS if you missed it). Not to mention plot holes big enough to drive a planet through. For the Uniform is frequently cited as one of the best episodes of DS9 (IMO its just about the worst). As for the "space Africans" TNG ep being "obscure", yeah sure its so obscure that the cast was still apologizing for it at this years STLV convention. Don't even try to tell me about Trek, I've been watching Trek since 1977, I've seen every episode, every film, every series, I have also read most of the novels, and large portions of the comics. I am also a very big fan of the true giants of Sci-Fi, names like Asimov, Heinlein, Norton, Niven, McCaffrey, E.E. Smith, John W. Campbell, Philip K. TRIBBLE, and more.

I know that Star Trek has many plot holes especially movies for instance ST: First Contact and the time traveling borg who time travel...in front of earth getting pounded instead of a seclude sector where they could be undisturbed. Yet that still doesnt cancel the many important questions and story developments presented in ST, nor does you huge personal knowledge of ST deny that in any way. "true giants of sci-fi" you are implying that ST isnt one well your personal opinion, because the majority does consider ST to be a great work in sci-fi genre and ST has left a mark in history a well documented one.

• Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    For the Uniform is frequently cited as one of the best episodes of DS9 (IMO its just about the worst). .
    Couldn't agree more, 'Duet' is miles better then that EP.

And, congrats to the STO devs for creating this great game.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    STO's place is definitely well-deserved at #1, even if the order may or may not be of any consequence.

So far, it's the only F2P game I've come across that a "minnow" (cheapskate/free) player such as myself can actually excel in, even without going on insane grinds. (I don't grind in this game really at all and no, daily holiday events hardly count) Previously, I played Forsaken World (another game under the PW umbrella) and there's a definite paywall when my max-level, semi-decent-geared character can't hold a candle in comparison to the $1k+ whales.

While STO has gotten slightly worse over the years thanks to the level cap increase and upgrade system, it's still extremely accessible to the point where you're more likely to spend money on the game because you want to, not because you need to in order to compete.

THAT is how a F2P game is made. So bravo, Cryptic. Keep doing what you do and ignore the haters.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The only other F2P game I've played that is as good as STO in that you can get [-]all[/-] most the stuff without paying is Avengers Alliance, which is not an MMO but a FB game. but it has a lot of multiplayer things to do, however, there are certain items(usually very good ones) that you can only get with real money, and it's just impossible to grind to get large amounts of gold(that game's equivalent of Zen). Needless to say, there are more ways to spend gold than to acquire it. BUT, you don't need gold to play the game, just to get the top-tier stuff. and yeah, good luck beating the guys who spend stupid amounts of gold in PvP. They have PvP stats that are insane.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User

lol, this is the same franchise that brought Space Captain (kirk) and Lincoln vs TRIBBLE, and "we SWEAR we are not an army, just ignore the massive warships we have, we only want yo absorb you into our yoke", or CYBORG ZOMBIES, and you cannot forgot about the time that Picard became Robin Hood., and of course the episode "threshold"

seriously, Q's Winter wonderland in this game, is just about normal for Trek. Anyone who says Trek is pure Intellectual, CLEARLY has not actually watched it that much.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)
    That's *not* simple answer, that is dodging the question and spin. I'm not sure what he is afraid of or why he can't give a direct answer to a simple question, but he obviously isn't going to, so I give up.

@thegrandnagus1 : My personal theory is, as I have hinted at before, those sites are far from objective. They are personal frustration vents at worst and either voluntary or officially sanctioned promotion at best. Either way, "blogging" or running a "gaming website" (which is plastered with ads and trackers) in this day and age is nothing I'd call "journalism" and there may be the simple reason that nobody on the site agreed to actually promote one thing over the other.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Well, I messaged the guy who wrote the article on twitter to try to clarify how he intended the list to be read, and for some reason he will *not* give me a straight answer:

"Yes and no"

I think the answer is pretty straight. It just cannot boiled down to a Yes/No answer.
    Have you stopped beating the article author yet?

If I were to rank my top 10 games now, I might give one answer. But ask me again in a month, I might change the order, or listen even different games. (Even if I have not played any new ones since the last time you asked).

Mustrum "There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that think binary and those that don't." Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

"Yes and no"

I think you have your answer, in not so many words...

Kind of put's the entire article into doubt.

Besides, the list is meaningless with SWTOR on it, as that game is terribad for f2p.

While yes you can play that game f2p, you are so restricted in what you can do/play, it feels like someone chopped off your hands and feet and expecting you to do well...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

Ah , they already gave out half of the cash shop. Last was the *full* ENT pack. They can't be more generous than that.....

Wait they can! They can start pooping out KDF and rom science ships and carriers .......... hahhaahahah /evil laugh

Evil laugh indeed what we need is more diabolical laughter , and maybes some diabolical acting to go with it lol
  • Options
    svindal777 wrote: »
    For the Uniform is frequently cited as one of the best episodes of DS9 (IMO its just about the worst). .
    Couldn't agree more, 'Duet' is miles better then that EP.

And, congrats to the STO devs for creating this great game.

Duet is also my favorite DS9 episode which is interesting because most of series start weak in first season, however this one didnt, brilliant acting by Harris covering under his bunk :)