test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Client stuck on loading screen

Ever since today's patch, I haven't been able to load the game. I've been able to load the patcher, pull down the patch and hit the Engage button just fine, but when the game starts up, it gets to the New Dawn title screen with "Loading..." on the bottom, and just sits there. Every so often, the screen flickers, but that's about it. I can't even close the client through normal means; I have to go into Task Manager and kill the process.

I know it's not an issue with my Internet connection, as I'm able to play other online games just fine. I also tried force verify and safe mode, each with no luck (and yes, I'm using the PC client). The patcher did seem a little slower than usual, so I guess it could be an STO server issue, but shouldn't the client at least pop up an "account server connection could not be started" message in that case? I never even get that far; I just get stuck on that loading screen.

Please address this, as it means I can't play at all now.

ETA: Okay, so I tried again, and this time I let it sit for about 15 minutes. It finally made it to the title screen with music and the blue star, but I got the message "Account Ticket Authentication Failed". So I tried typing in my username and password on that screen, clicked Log In, and that finally let me into the character select screen. From there, it seemed to work fine. Once I was done refilling my admiralty assignments on my main, I quit the game and restarted it to see if it would do the same thing as before... and, sure enough, it did the exact same thing as before.

So, apparently, this is now what happens every time I start the STO client: It sits there for about fifteen minutes (while appearing to use no CPU at all, incidentally), and then gives me that "Account Ticket Authentication Failed" message, and then lets me log in and play normally. Once I get past that error message, everything works fine, including switching characters (I verified this just now). So I can play; it's just that logging in is very cumbersome and frustrating now.
Post edited by kirimuffin on

Comments

• Options
    terascqueterascque Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    For what its worth I to am having the similar issues. The cryptic logo comes up, the loading bar fills, the new dawn logo comes up, I get a litle message in the bottom left hand corner that says something like material files reloaded and then it just sits there doing nothing. So far 10 minutes of nothing. The game isnt frozen I can still mouse around and alt-tab out etc
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Yes having exactly the same issue since the patch. What ever that patch was it has messed the launcher up so people can't get in game. Me included
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    williamwalterswilliamwalters Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I too have had this issue ever since I started playing again about 2 weeks ago. Putting it into safe mode has always worked as a by-pass, but it's getting annoying.
  • Options
    drake9012drake9012 Member Posts: 2 New User
    has anyone found the answer to this? I am also having this problem I get to the logo and then nothing I just get booted out of the game after a few minutes.
  • Options
    gundamite128gundamite128 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I've been having the same deal. I've tried reinstalling the game, arc client, and even unistalling and redownloading everything. nothing seems to work. and support keeps crashing everytime i try to file a ticket. it's like they don't want to fix it.
  • Options
    loganmercuryloganmercury Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Same thing here..downloaded game..have not played in over a year and voila! Just gets to the title page of "New Dawn" the error message comes on and says game client.exe has an problem...so how will this get resolved? If ever?
  • Options
    keithmorgkeithmorg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am having the same issue. I don't have a connection problem, it has worked for a year just fine and I have 50meg+ internet connection. Hey ARC....I can't spend any money if I cant get to the game.
  • Options
    champs35champs35 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I am having the same issue since the 1st of december 2015.... any Cryptic response yet?
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Getting this issue after today's patch. Stuck at 'loading..' New dawn splashscreen. Just lately every patch seems to give me issues of one kind or another
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    jkbondjkbond Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Having the exact same issue as listed multiple times in this thread. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    vicariousdethvicariousdeth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same issue here as well.
  • Options
    honekittehhonekitteh Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Same issue as well here.
    Captain Jyana L. Kai
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Barclay (NCC-93784)
    Executive Officer, Task Force Avalon

[PERSONNEL FILE] - [SHIP FILE] - [PERSONAL LOG]
  • Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    im stuck ceyptic cannt get past
  • Options
    Safe mode does eventually kick in. However the game froze when I tried to leave the WW. So I let the game fire back up normally. It sat at then "New Dawn" loading screen for about 30 minutes, every now and again with the screen flickering to black and back again. Eventually the login screen appeared with a message about "Support ticket creation failed" or something like that.

It then let me log into the char select screen.

Way to go Cryptic >.<
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    numbdreamernumbdreamer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I have the exact same issue since the patch yesterday :(
  • Options
    austinousaustinous Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    ditto
  • Options
    gleitfroschgleitfrosch Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    had it too, did a force verify check, started the game in safe mode (all settings down) and now i can play the game again. but i have to leave the settings on minimum or it will crash immediatly.
  • Options
    had it too, did a force verify check, started the game in safe mode (all settings down) and now i can play the game again. but i have to leave the settings on minimum or it will crash immediatly.

I had theses issues a few patches ago and someone recommended that I switch on "Reduced file streaming" in the advanced tab of the options menu. That worked and all was well again...till the last patch, which for some reason turned that off again! Now I've switched it back on I don't have to boot in safe mode any more.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    Whilst I'm not having issue's logging in. I am however having issue's loading into ESD and DS9, the latter being the worst of the two record so far is around 30mins and that's with completely exiting the game and logging back in.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    pigsbanepigsbane Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edalgo wrote: »
    I have the same problem on my new laptop. Desktop works fine.

Is it an issue with Windows 10?

Edit: just got another response. Tech said it seems to be a connection issue....I Highly doubt it! As my desktop on the same router/modem never has this issue.
    Check to see that your desktop and laptop are using the same internal modem. Usually they aren't. For example, my laptop (which has the log in issue the first time I log in after the weekly update, but there after it logs in fine) uses Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1525 Wireless Network Adapter, but my desktop uses Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter. Running them on the same network (and I'm the only one on it) I've actually noticed differences in connection speed between the two. Different internal modems work at different speeds.

As for your original question of "Is this an issue with Windows 10?"... Since I don't work for Cryptic I can't say for sure, HOWEVER I do know that many programs have been having driver issues on Windows 10. Its not EXACTLY the fault of Windows 10, it just seems like that. Its taking companies time to get their drivers updated for the new OS, which is why its GENERALLY recommended to wait about 6 months or so after a new OS comes out to get it and install. Or just put up with the issues until the companies catch up with the new OS.
  • Options
    camelidaecamelidae Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same here, everytime i try to log in, Press engage, stuck on loading, for 4 months, cant even connect, cant even play! this is rediculous.
  • Options
    Same issue as of 12/10/2015. I'm surprised this topic hasn't even fostered a response from Arc. I know Blizzard would have responded by now and at least try to work out a solution.
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Since yesterday (the 10th), I've had this problem again, only now I don't even get as far as I did before. I had the client stuck on the loading screen for well over half an hour yesterday, with no result. Once again, tried safe mode, tried force verify, using DX9, etc.

I have it open now, and it's been stuck for ten minutes. I guess I'll just try leaving it on all day, and update this post if anything actually happens. *sigh*

ETA: And I'm in. Took a little less than twenty minutes, this time. Same symptoms as before (freezing on loading screen for an absurdly long time, followed by "Account Ticket Authentication Failed", followed by being able to log in and play completely fine).
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    If this only happens once, directly after a new patch, it sounds like shader compilation. Cryptic distributes pre-compiled shaders in their patches for the most common combinations of OS/video cards/graphics drivers but if you have another combination your computer has to compile those shaders itself after every patch. With a machine fast enough to run STO it really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. My 5 year old Core i7 2,6GHz does it in 3-4 minutes. Still too long for the login to timeout though. Make sure you don't have any other programs stealing CPU cycles from STO and that you don't have any power saving kicking in and clocking down your CPU. That would make the compilation take a lot longer.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    micke86micke86 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same problem here.
  • Options
    gasparulisesgasparulises Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I have the same problem today in the morning the game start loading and crashing all the time I try to login. Please help ASAP.
  • Options
    leroch3leroch3 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have the same problem. Game used to work but after a month layoff, I come back and can't get past the New Dawn blue screen. "game client failure"
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    It could be shader compilation, I suppose, yeah. At least yesterday it took about thirty minutes again.

Today, though, I've had the client running for nearly an hour and a half and it's still stuck on the loading screen. There's no possible way that shader compilation should be taking this long.

ETA: Well, speak of the devil. Literally the instant I posted this, the "Account ticket authetication failed" message popped up, lol.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    It could be shader compilation, I suppose, yeah. At least yesterday it took about thirty minutes again.

Today, though, I've had the client running for nearly an hour and a half and it's still stuck on the loading screen. There's no possible way that shader compilation should be taking this long.

ETA: Well, speak of the devil. Literally the instant I posted this, the "Account ticket authetication failed" message popped up, lol.

As a test you can disable all power saving features next patch. The shaders are compiled on your CPU so if it goes into aggressive power saving for some reason, the compilation could take a long time.

---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS