test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ketracel White is a bad drug!

Just as the title says.. It's basically the real life drug of coccaine.. Just makes you angry with withdraws and makes you do stupid things.. But it does make you immune to pain though lol.. I love the Jem 'Hadar!

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Don't do drugs, moral of story?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Well if you think Ket White is that bad, don't try the "Red Sand" from another SciFi title. That stuff's a killer.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • welfarebob#3087 welfarebob Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Well, we all know that the Jem Hadar will lose there sanity.. But only ONE Jem Hadar managed to stop taking the Ketracel White and was cured.. But many have fallen victim to the drug and still serve loyalty to the founders..
  • welfarebob#3087 welfarebob Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    What's red sand? Explain that please..
    Red Sand ? It's from the Mass Effect Universe.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    bjorg87 wrote: »
    Just as the title says.. It's basically the real life drug of coccaine.. Just makes you angry with withdraws and makes you do stupid things.. But it does make you immune to pain though lol.. I love the Jem 'Hadar!

Ketracel White also simply doesn't work. :) Remember Jurassic Park?

Henry Wu: We control their chromosomes. It's really not that difficult. All vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway, they just require an extra hormone given at the right developmental stage to make them male. We simply deny them that.
    Dr. Ellie Sattler: Deny them that?!
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • captainfelidaecaptainfelidae Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Wasn't that one Jem'hadar soldier that didn't need Ketracel white basically a freak accident?
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Henry Wu: We control their chromosomes. It's really not that difficult. All vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway, they just require an extra hormone given at the right developmental stage to make them male. We simply deny them that.
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

It's been a longtime since I read it but In the book didn't they engineer the dinos to need a extra nutrient/enzyme to be added to their food that their bodies couldn't produce as well?
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    But the Spice is okay, Picard did Spice.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
    edited December 2015
    Wasn't that one Jem'hadar soldier that didn't need Ketracel white basically a freak accident?

It's been a longtime since I read it but In the book didn't they engineer the dinos to need a extra nutrient/enzyme to be added to their food that their bodies couldn't produce as well?

Yes, they did the enzyme deficiency (lysine) too. Both don't work: life will find a way. :) And, like you astutely observed, there was, indeed, and episode with a Jem'Hadar who no longer needed it! (I had completely forgotten that). It would always go that way, in nature. So, as an intended Control Mechanism, Ketracel White was doomed to fail.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    problem with Ketracel White is the jem'hadar have been genetically designed to depend on this drug or die, in that respect it is in fact more akin to Insulin for diabetics or Warfarin for heart disease patients.

watch the DS9 episode "The Abandoned" for the full story of this drug.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• nexurulernexuruler Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    if you guys really want to know a bad drug then try some Flash.
    Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.
    nexuruler wrote: »

I believe you. Only the other day I read even Adobe is finally giving up on Flash. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nexurulernexuruler Member Posts: 95 Arc User

I believe you. Only the other day I read even Adobe is finally giving up on Flash. :P

that's not the Flash I'm talking about :tongue:
    Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.
    svindal777 wrote: »
    But the Spice is okay, Picard did Spice.

The Spice must flow !
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

your missing an important part... they arent dinos. they are hybrid... they didnt have complete dna so they spliced in another organism... one that has the ability to change genders. :p sure they didnt make any males... but the "dino" they made decided to switch sex. unlike in humans, we cant change genders... if you made a huge underground vault (ala Fallout) and seal in 100 million males... in 150 years you'd find 100 million corpses. same for females (provided none of them were preg at the time and can not be artificially impregnated). human beings can NOT change sex. you are either XX or XY and that's it unless you happen to be a hermaphrodite.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Spice
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I do ketracel white and you should too! [/peer pressure]
    Tza0PEl.png
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Must the bottle hooked up like the Jem Hadar do, or can you put it into powder form and smoke it? Smoking a white joint is much better than hooking it up to the throat.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    "K2/Spice" is the Hot New Worse drug out there...

It's also the stupidest thing to put in ones body.
    You might just as well put a six-shooter to your head with five bullets, spin the chamber and pull the trigger.

In the last year, I've seen more cases of folks coming to the hospital on deaths-door from just one dose of this TRIBBLE.

Mostly young adults who think it is "COOL"...

It's not so cool when you realize that dying from using K2..., IS NOT the worse thing that can happen to you.
    Irreparable Comas, Long term Liver & Kidney damage, Severe Brain Damage and Complete Sexual Dysfunction being the short list.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    Some people just want to watch themselves burn.
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Yes, they did the enzyme deficiency (lysine) too. Both don't work: life will find a way. :) And, like you astutely observed, there was, indeed, and episode with a Jem'Hadar who no longer needed it! (I had completely forgotten that). It would always go that way, in nature. So, as an intended Control Mechanism, Ketracel White was doomed to fail.

Both Jurassic Park and Deep Space Nine are fictional, so you shouldn't read too much into either.

I think there is a simple reason Ketracel White is reliable - The Jem'Hadar don't get to reproduce normally, and are still under
    relatively tight control. Abberations that can live without Ketracel White will remain that - abberations. And probably often quickly killed by the Dominion. And if there ever is an independent, free spirited, procreating, non-dependent Jem'Hadar community - it doesn't take away the Dominion's ability to produce new Founder-worshipping ketracell white dependent Jem'Hadar.

The real world has examples that life doens't always find a way. Pandas don't really look like they are overcoming their bamboo dependency, and will likely die out considering their unwillingness to reproduce. Unless some geneticist take over and try to make some changes, Pandas will likely die out. Life doesn't care, there are plenty of other bear-species anyway.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Both Jurassic Park and Deep Space Nine are fictional, so you shouldn't read too much into either.

I think there is a simple reason Ketracel White is reliable - The Jem'Hadar don't get to reproduce normally, and are still under
    relatively tight control. Abberations that can live without Ketracel White will remain that - abberations. And probably often quickly killed by the Dominion. And if there ever is an independent, free spirited, procreating, non-dependent Jem'Hadar community - it doesn't take away the Dominion's ability to produce new Founder-worshipping ketracell white dependent Jem'Hadar.

The real world has examples that life doens't always find a way. Pandas don't really look like they are overcoming their bamboo dependency, and will likely die out considering their unwillingness to reproduce. Unless some geneticist take over and try to make some changes, Pandas will likely die out. Life doesn't care, there are plenty of other bear-species anyway.

Pandas notwithstanding, adaption is still key in the whole survival spiel. And even if a specific bear type doesn't survive, a better adapted one will.

I agree the Jem'Hadar probably don't live long enough to take benefit of their 'abberations', though. And I don't think they breed normally either. But, not under Dominion control, I think it stands to reason ere long Jem'Hadar would be born that don't need the Ketracel White.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Pandas notwithstanding, adaption is still key in the whole survival spiel. And even if a specific bear type doesn't survive, a better adapted one will.

I agree the Jem'Hadar probably don't live long enough to take benefit of their 'abberations', though. And I don't think they breed normally either. But, not under Dominion control, I think it stands to reason ere long Jem'Hadar would be born that don't need the Ketracel White.
    If they can be born naturally at all. While the Jem'Hadar seem male in manners and all - I would be surprised if the dominion put in any reproductive organs at all in the make-up.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    If they can be born naturally at all. While the Jem'Hadar seem male in manners and all - I would be surprised if the dominion put in any reproductive organs at all in the make-up.

I kinda forgot how they reproduce (if at all). If I recall correctly, they are grown in facilities of some sort; so they probably can't reproduce at all (and are just produced, by the Dominion). So yeah, there's that. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg

I kinda forgot how they reproduce (if at all). If I recall correctly, they are grown in facilities of some sort; so they probably can't reproduce at all (and are just produced, by the Dominion). So yeah, there's that. :)
    The Vorta might still be able to do it, though, they're uplifted species. And they stil have males and females. Though they seem to rely mostly on cloning...

The Vorta might still be able to do it, though, they're uplifted species. And they stil have males and females. Though they seem to rely mostly on cloning...

Yeah. Wasn't there an Episode where the last of 'Weyung 5' died or something? (They were cut-off from the Delta Quadrant). So they may not be able to reproduce normally either.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    In one of the old Cardassian Arc stories, we investigated a hatching facility, and I believe we still do in the new one, so that should be a big hint on how the Jem'Hadar are bred.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock

Yeah. Wasn't there an Episode where the last of 'Weyung 5' died or something? (They were cut-off from the Delta Quadrant). So they may not be able to reproduce normally either.

I think the problem was more that they couldn't create a new Weyoun since the cloning facilities were destroyed by the Alpha Quadrant forces. It doesn't necessarily mean that they couldn't "produce" new Vortas the traditional way - but it wouldn't result in the next Weyoun.