Install Arc
Options

Map Transition Whitescreen Freeze/Crash

13»

Comments

• Options
    harrisjohnhharrisjohnh Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I'm inclined to agree, since it seems to have started just after a weekly maintenance update.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    pjlietz1 wrote: »
    I have this issue almost nightly. Happens on map transfers at about 41~ sec load times.

That is one thing we have in common. The map transfer always seems to TRIBBLE out at 41. I've resorted to having task manager open at all times just so I can speed through killing the game client because it just keeps happening too often.
    I've been having the same problem for about the last two weeks. Whenever I transition between maps, it hangs at 40% and change. It doesn't crash on its own. Instead, I have to force-close it.

I'm running the original, pre-ARC install on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

(I don't know how to post the logs, but I suspect it's similar to the others posted here.)

You can see all that junk in the Windows Management Console, but frankly, not useful at all.

Anyone know which patch started this whole mess? Maybe the devs could look and see what changes went in that started this mess. I've updated drivers and checked that Windows is 100% updated and still, I keep getting crashes.

• Options
    Hi everyone:

So I'm in my older computer that runs Windows 10 64-bit. The only two things that aren't from the Windows install are Chrome and STO. I tried warping in and out of Japori over and over about 10 times to see if the system would hang, although that's not a problem system for me usually on the other computer. The map always kind of stalls at 40-41, but then loads the map without problem. Will try again early tomorrow with Archer or Narendra, both of which are very problematic on the other computer.

Microprocessor - Intel Core2 Duo Processor T6400 2.0 Ghz
    Video Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Video Memory - Up to 2302MB (512MB dedicated)
    RAM - 8Gb
    Hard Drive - 500GB (7200RPM)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    The problem is more severe with this season it seems--and now the freeze-ups occur in the 40-50% range.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Okay...after my experiences last night, I know I didn't really believe it before, but I am now beginning to think the problem is related to points during the map load-in process where it must contact the server. Last night when the obvious red-text SNR's were really bad, I was also getting hit with a lot of whitescreen crashes. But one observation I had was that a couple of times, the freeze-up happened when I clearly had files downloading from the server. Not just the SNR, but an outright freeze. I don't know if there's any way to monitor exactly what traffic is going between us and Cryptic real time, while doing a map transition, but I am now wondering if there's a point where it pings the patch server to see if there are any updates needed and, when failing to get a response, gets caught in an infinite loop of pinging the patch server--but since we never STARTED downloading the patch in the first place, it doesn't handle it like a normal red-text SNR, and just hangs.

First question: do people with on-demand patching switched OFF also get hit with whitescreen freezes?

And either way (since the expectation should be proper game function whether or not you have on-demand patching on or off), does anyone know how that theory could actually be confirmed or shot down?? I'm afraid it's a little beyond me should there be a need to actually monitor realtime.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Have you guys tried enabling reduced file streaming in the loader?

That cured it for me after the last patch, some screens still loaded slowly but at least it did drop through.

However....

Now that S11 has hit I've noticed that trying to board DS9 results in the load screen getting to 96% (approx) and it just sits there. The delay is long enough for me to go downstairs, make a coffee, see what's on the TV in the living room and return just in time to see my character materialise on the promenade.

Nvidea GTX960 and Windows 10.

server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    That's something I may have to try, especially given the new theory about what is causing it.

• Options
    mrbaconsah wrote: »
    It just appears the network just stops sending - that's all I can see.

Just commenting on this one, all that means is that the client itself has stopped requesting data, which puts us back to the client locking or becoming roadblocked by something. Either something procedural (in the programming) or systemic (such as resource lock).
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    mrbaconsah wrote: »
    It just appears the network just stops sending - that's all I can see.

Just commenting on this one, all that means is that the client itself has stopped requesting data, which puts us back to the client locking or becoming roadblocked by something. Either something procedural (in the programming) or systemic (such as resource lock).

I lean towards procedural because I've pulled up the Task Manager while a hangup is in progress to see what kind of resources the game is pulling from my system and I am nowhere near maxed on CPU or RAM but still showing "not responding."

That may lend more credence to the idea of an infinite loop occurring when there is no response to some query that the game is making to the server, rather than a normal SNR. (Or it might not. I'm not a programmer.)

• Options
    admiralwuffadmiralwuff Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    Seems force verifying the files from the launcher as either stopped or delayed it. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Keep your eyes peeled. Unfortunately, force verifying multiple times never stopped it.

FYI the jury is still out on whether the .NET upgrade I did before I logged in tonight has or will do any good.

You were right. It didn't stop the issue. I had to reinstall the game. It's working fine now... But I will report if this issue resurfaces.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Seems force verifying the files from the launcher as either stopped or delayed it. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Keep your eyes peeled. Unfortunately, force verifying multiple times never stopped it.

FYI the jury is still out on whether the .NET upgrade I did before I logged in tonight has or will do any good.

You were right. It didn't stop the issue. I had to reinstall the game. It's working fine now... But I will report if this issue resurfaces.

The install I have in my other laptop is very fresh. Still gets stuck on loading. Like I've said before, for those that always get the bug, try Japori. For some reason, that map has NEVER caused the map loading crash for me in either computer. Maybe it's something in certain maps causing it.

On the other hand, the Undine Space BZ never fails in making the game crash.

To top it off, after the game freezes on map transition, I get the D3D error on the launcher. Got it 3 times in a row last time before I was able to get back in to the game.

Devs, please, please look into what's causing the crashes, It's annoying.
  • Options
    katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    This happened to me 60 times last night while I was trying to catch my other chars up. If Cryptic wont fix this I will just stop playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just wanted to put in an update here before this thread expires.

My laptop had to go into the shop for an unrelated issue and to make a long story short, the motherboard is being replaced due to a power port problem (either the power port and motherboard are a single unit on this model as sometimes it can be, or the warranty repair unit jacked up the soldering when they tried to do the less invasive repair and don't want to admit it openly), which means it is most likely going to come back with a fresh Windows 8.1 install and it'll probably also be up to me to get the GPU updated. (Also on the upside, I suspect a lot of HP bloatware that came with this thing is going to be gone...I so hope so, as that could give it better performance in the RAM department...)

If it does come back reformatted, this will give me the chance to try on a completely fresh install to see if I still get crashing or not. I'll let you know once I've been up and running for a while.

• Options
    maelstromvortexmaelstromvortex Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Same issue.. started after most recent upate. Windows 7 Professional edition.
  • Options
    And this last night's patch appears to have fixed it.. how very bizarre.
  • Options
    And this last night's patch appears to have fixed it.. how very bizarre.

Not for me. My computer came back (NOT wiped...my data was saved), and I had a crash at one point. :(

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Nope, white screens are back. Even disabled the periodic patching and did a full content download and it still white screens at most transitions. It's becoming almost unplayable. I have to restart with every screen change. Both the game file and the loader are set to run as administrator. Remind me to stop spending money on this game since I can't access the content I'm buying.

I haven't tried turning off the patch proxies, or using the EU proxy yet, that may be the next step.

It's even buffering and almost disconnecting in game every few minutes now. I think the US proxy must be overloaded.

I think I found the problem, check out the last HOP:

7 27 ms 25 ms 25 ms chi-b21-link.telia.net [213.248.71.45]
    8 99 ms 47 ms 47 ms nyk-bb2-link.telia.net [213.155.136.18]
    9 54 ms 55 ms 54 ms bost-b1-link.telia.net [80.91.249.15]
    10 54 ms 54 ms 53 ms internap-ic-304640-bost-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.3
    8.110]
    11 51 ms 52 ms 58 ms border11.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.1
    04]
    12 53 ms 52 ms 53 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    13 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms 198.49.243.250
    14 819 ms * 816 ms 198.49.243.253
    15 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms us1.proxy.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.152]

Trace complete.
    Post edited by maelstromvortex on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Perfect's world response to me was to contact my ISP, LOL. The problem is within their network.. the last 4 hops show that! It's not handling the load balancing correctly. My connection tests 50 meg down by 2 up with less than 10 ms ping and anyone but them their services are working fine.

I switched to EU proxy and got moderate improvement.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    My tracert along with information from arin.net seems to conclude the problem is a faulty and/or overloaded due to holidays Cryptic network node:

Net Range 198.49.243.0 - 198.49.243.255
    CIDR 198.49.243.0/24
    Name CRYPTIC-NET-PWNAGE-US02
    Handle NET-198-49-243-0-1
    Parent NET198 (NET-198-0-0-0-0)
    Net Type Direct Assignment
    Origin AS AS46461
    Organization CRYPTIC STUDIOS, INC. (CRYPT-4)
    Registration Date 2013-09-04
    Last Updated 2013-09-04
    Comments
    RESTful Link https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-198-49-243-0-1
    See Also Related organization's POC records.
    See Also Related delegations.
  • Options
    My tracert along with information from arin.net seems to conclude the problem is a faulty and/or overloaded due to holidays Cryptic network node:

Net Range 198.49.243.0 - 198.49.243.255
    CIDR 198.49.243.0/24
    Name CRYPTIC-NET-PWNAGE-US02
    Handle NET-198-49-243-0-1
    Parent NET198 (NET-198-0-0-0-0)
    Net Type Direct Assignment
    Origin AS AS46461
    Organization CRYPTIC STUDIOS, INC. (CRYPT-4)
    Registration Date 2013-09-04
    Last Updated 2013-09-04
    Comments
    RESTful Link https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-198-49-243-0-1
    See Also Related organization's POC records.
    See Also Related delegations.

The highlighted part makes me LOL. I think the PWNAGE is being aimed in the wrong direction!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I know right. I can totally tell the tech that named their server farm is probably as serious of a gamer as we are just from the domain.
  • Options
    LOL! OK than made me chuckle :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    The map freeze/crash has NOT stopped with the latest patch. Sorry, guys, try again.

• Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    Ditto. Was hoping it would be based on the patch notes, but I am still getting hang ups. This morning, however, I noticed two strange "coincidences". 1) It use to be that if I quit out in Winter Wonderland and the particular instance was no longer available when I logged back in, it would automatically either send me to another instance or back to starbase. Now, more times than not, it crashes me completely out as if it cannot connect to the gameplay server. 2) The two times so far this morning it has locked the screen were going into Earth Starbase from Winter Wonderland. Yesterday I noticed similar going into Earth space, the Academy, and Spacedock as well.
  • Options
    I had a hunch that quitting IN Winter Wonderland was risky, just like quitting in fleet assets is (worst if you end up being spit into the Alpha Quadrant, which is one of the most dangerous maps for freezing)...I've been beaming each toon back to ESD just in case.

Granted I "only" got hit once or twice during high server load, and I do find the problem at its worst when there is a lot of lag. We'll see though. It may be that server and network performance failures exacerbate the bug in the code that causes the freezeups.

Bad as it is, I'd rather see an SNR rather than a freeze because then at least the game is handling the server problem correctly instead of with a hung or runaway process on its end.

• Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    It was reported a while back that one of the causes of this crash was that the players affected were using STEAM installed versions of the STO and even though they loaded the game via Arc, Arc was using the STEAM installation and this caused some sort of conflict after an update or patch was installed. It was recommended that the player uninstall the Steam version and let Arc install a fresh version of STO. Hope this helps.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I do not have two installations of STO, only through Steam. How could this conflict still be arising?

• Options
    New patch says it was fixed. Just got a map transition freeze on the Sol system. Still needs work.
  • Options
    You don't think they're distinguishing between an immediate CTD and a freeze, are you? In other words...I now question if our problem is even the one they are attempting to fix. Is the freeze-crash even on the radar?

• Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    I do not have two installations of STO, only through Steam. How could this conflict still be arising?

I had the same thing, one install via STEAM. I had this issue more often than not until I did what was recommended and just deleted the STEAM version and used ARC to install a fresh version. Since then I haven't seen the issue. Not to say it fixed it, it just seemed to resolve it for me for the time being. Good luck.

What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?