test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dry Dock--whats the purpose?

I may be the only person but I am completely confused as to what the purpose of dry docking for the game? How does this help at all? Any ships I buy can be reclaimed through the C-store so is dry docking only helpful to store event ships like winter, summer, anniversary event etc?

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The only point I can see to it is that I have a place to store Fleet Ships and Lobi ships which cannot be reclaimed.

If you have a lot of these type ships, they're likely filling up all your ship slots. With this you could put it in Drydock and free the ship slot.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    I see the drydock use for ships that can't be reclaimed and that you don't plan on using for a while. My Breen Ships will go into drydock, since they don't see use. Or maybe even my Original freebie obelisk that cannot be gotten anymore. Hell, I could even put my Xindi Dreadnought carrier in drydock since I don't fly it very often.

So, it is useful for storing ships that are not reclaimable. Lockbox ships, unique one time only ships, ect.
  • Options
    lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    you know what works even better? add 100 ship slots.
  • Options
    tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I only have one lock box ship and that's the Tholian Orb Weaver which is pretty TRIBBLE at T5u, still get rekt in that thing while my superior Dreadnought-Status T5u Vesta tanks everything like it's a cruiser, but I won't get rid of it since it's still a lock box ship and it only took me 3 keys in total to get it. At least I'll have one free ship slot since I'm currently full on ships and I can't get rid of them, at least the ones that I have when I was still leveling up, had those ships for a couple years.

I wonder how many boxes it would take me to get enough lobis for the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, I so want that thing. But I only have 19 crystals.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Like @seaofsorrows said I think it's mainly a place to store fleet and lockboxs ship's. It's not really something I care about since I've already dismissed the majority of my t5 fleet ship's and only have a couple lockbox/lobi ship's. This drydock system is maybe helpful to a whale with lots of non reclaimable ship's. I don't really see the average player giving a TRIBBLE.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    From Cryptic's perspective: It's a way to add more ship slots to a character, without being as database heavy as regular ship slots. No need to store and retrieve visuals, loadouts and what not - just the class of the ship and a (more or less) generic icon.

And most people probably don't even buy a lot of extra ship slots. I believe the devs said that there are something like a hand ful of players or so that have maxed out the ship slots they could have.

From the player's perspective: A good way to store ships you haven't used in a while but might be unreclaimable. And even if they are reclaimable, it might be more convenient with the drydock.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    It's a good bonus to admiralty.

I'm slowly buying Fleet ships (either fleet variants, or the freebie 200K Fleet Credit ones), Mirror ships, and T1 to T5 Dilithium ships, and it's a good place to put them. Many I'm just picking up for the Admiralty cards, but they're filling my active ship roster. Kicker is, while I likely won't fly many of them, I also don't want to lose the ships I 'bought' with the in-game currencies. So Drydock is a great place to store these ships for if / when I want to use them.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    From Cryptic's perspective: It's a way to add more ship slots to a character, without being as database heavy as regular ship slots. No need to store and retrieve visuals, loadouts and what not - just the class of the ship and a (more or less) generic icon.

Yes. Even if the coding were implemented to raise the number of ship slots, they would take up way more memory (and thus consume more hard drive space and network bandwidth for Cryptic) than these dry-docked ships.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Not just fleet, lock box and lobi, but also token, ec and dil ships. I dismissed a couple of non-reclaimable shuttles last week, now Cryptic is adding Admiralty cards for shuttles. D'oh!
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    bamley wrote: »
    I may be the only person but I am completely confused as to what the purpose of dry docking for the game? How does this help at all? Any ships I buy can be reclaimed through the C-store so is dry docking only helpful to store event ships like winter, summer, anniversary event etc?

Not entirely true. It also benefits your T5U and T6 C-Store and reclaimable ships, as dry-docked ships do not lose their ability/mastery progress (if you dismiss and reclaim a ship, it will lose any unlocks you had there and start from scratch). EDIT: apparently I was wrong (but then, why specify that in the news if it's default?)

But it is mostly useful for non-reclaimable ships (lobi, lockbox, dil, special rewards, fleet versions etc.) <- edit: i'm using "non reclaimable" loosely here, I obviously mean "old event ships AND ships you'd have to pay for again".
    Post edited by ryugasirius on
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    On a related note...

Can ships in drydock still be used for Admiralty missions?
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    tousseau wrote: »
    On a related note...

Yes I believe it can. At least I hope it can! just re-read the blog entry and it doesn't mention that.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    On a related note...

Once you unpack a ship, you will always be able to use that ships card in admiralty system. You can trash the ship a minute later, the card will stay forever.

In fact, I purchased some miranda/t'liss/<klingonstartership> just for the extra card when they were cheap (~1700 dil) and trashed them immediatelly, still have and use the card.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I wonder how long it will be before it sinks in to people's heads that admiralty cards have nothing to do with playable ships beyond being acquired at the same time?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be before it sinks in to people's heads that admiralty cards have nothing to do with playable ships beyond being acquired at the same time?
    Give it a few years.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Not true, ships Masteries earned are earned for good for that ship type for that Character and a Reclaim will present you with the ship with the T1-T5 (or T4 as appropriate) unlocked.

T5 is irrelevant anyway as when that is unlocked it is unlocked for the Character for use on all Ships for that Character if slotted. Also why all the Threads about people saying they are being scammed because they bought the Fleet Version of a ship and that did not have the T5 Mastery are wrong. For C-Store type ships and their Fleet Versions you MUST have purchased the C-Store version and leveled that to T5 to have permanent access to that Mastery for that Character.

The Breen Ships can be disposed of and Reclaimed in the Event Store. Same comments as above for their relative state.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Its a great feature probably more long term players like myself will get the most benefit from it however. As it stands every one of my ship slots is full and theyre all non-reclaimable, non-event ships (lockbox ships, the anniversary oddy, ambassador, lobi shuttles, etc). So for me this is awesome as i dont use a lot of them ever but i dont want to trash any either.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    I'll probably throw the Obelisk and my fleet ships in dry dock.

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    you know what works even better? add 100 ship slots.

Full ship slots (that can have a bunch of gear slotted, loadouts, appearance customization, etc) take a lot more database space* than these Drydock slots will (almost every extra detail about the ship is tossed when it goes into Drydock. It's much more data efficient, but it means you have to re-do all those things when you get the ship back out. It's meant for long-term storage, unlike being able to jump between ships in the regular slots/ship selector.)

*edit: oh, and especially post-upgrade system, where most of that slotted equipment now can have additional remembered variables (carryover tech points/etc)
    Post edited by kiralyn on
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    It may be best to illustrate using an example.

I have an old T5F Excelsior. I bought it with fleet ship modules. Right now I'm not using it, nor do I even have a build setup for it anymore. That said, I like it. I don't want to get rid of it. I may also end up revisiting it (T6 version or no) at some point in the future. But it's still taking up space, so it would be nice to put it into storage (and retain access) without having to consider the cost of buying the ship again or (in the case of reclaimables) the little effort of renaming, unslotting basic gear, ect. and lies that requires telling to yourself (ie. that it's the same ship. No it isn't, it can never be the same again! :P)

Drydocking isn't one of those things you're supposed to look at shout "THIS IS THE GREATEST FEATURE IN ALL THE UNIVERSE AND IT WILL MAKE STO TEN BAZJILLION DOLLARS A MINUTE!" It's just a handy little tool some people may find use in.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    When's it go live anyway ?
    Ship Slots are all full on my 5 characters.
    Waiting patiently here for it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Goes live today according to patch notes.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    Goes live today according to patch notes.

Hallelujah

Got mirror ships to unpack + a couple other secondary prize ships to open up.
    Good news indeed.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    robbie222222robbie222222 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    Not just fleet, lock box and lobi, but also token, ec and dil ships. I dismissed a couple of non-reclaimable shuttles last week, now Cryptic is adding Admiralty cards for shuttles. D'oh!
    I purchased a set of mirror ship for my 6 charachters on the exchange ( 8 fed, 6 rom, 6 klingon) for the admiralty cards. I was going to dismiss them but now i'll dry dock them incase, like the shuttles, they find a use for them in future seasons. The loadout is common so no great loss deleting it and dry docking them empty. Same for all but one shuttle i might fly someday. And the free tier 1 gold level rhode island the tour of duty wins you will definitely be dry docked.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I think it has a spot also for Mirror ships. At current Mirror prices, even though some of them are quite handy for Admiralty, I would be reluctant to buy the ship, open it, and dismiss it just for the Admiralty card. Who knows what feature might be added later that makes them useful? With Drydock as a place to store them I am more likely to add them to my fleet.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    i'd have maxed my alloted ship slots if they have been account wide, but since they are not I chose not to buy any. . i might use the DD slots for the 3 pack ships i don' use, IE the engy and sci variants
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    On a related note...

Once you unpack a ship, you will always be able to use that ships card in admiralty system. You can trash the ship a minute later, the card will stay forever.

In fact, I purchased some miranda/t'liss/<klingonstartership> just for the extra card when they were cheap (~1700 dil) and trashed them immediatelly, still have and use the card.

TY... I wasn't sure how all of this is fitting together now days, as I've just recently started playing again.
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    I have a question, and I'm just going by my guestimation here, but are there even 300 ships that one character can get? or is the drydock account bound?
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    I have a question, and I'm just going by my guestimation here, but are there even 300 ships that one character can get? or is the drydock account bound?

There are about 120 Fed ships (considering all variants and shuttles) and about 55 "all faction" ships (lockbox, events, lobi etc), so we are more than halfway there :P

Now, I suppose you can own more than 1 ship per type (for whatever reason, i've never actually tried), so...
    ryuga81.png