test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic needs to work harder on Anti-Griefing

Comments

• tempusmagustempusmagus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Pugged UIE a couple of times and someone deliberately failed, stopped pugging it. Had an infected ground a couple of years back where one guy rushed in rooms to fail optionals, then pulled all the borg in connecting rooms in to wipe the team. He would run and jump up and down on the dead bodies. I looked at the fleet name and learned the long and storied past of griefing by this particular fleet.
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Some things posted here are surprising, people cant play stos because of griefers, people have to set their privacy preferences to recluse so they are not spammed by griefers, people are even afraid to report and confront them. Is that what you want for your game? Obviously not.

Cryptic, do you realize now what your lack of care and nonexistent in game moderation has done to your players? The same players that keep this game alive by playing and spending their money on it? Its amazing how many people in game are already aware of this griefer and the company has done nothing to prevent it, when are you going to take action?
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Report the in game drama in game. Bringing it to the forums accomplishes nothing except giving publicity to the bad actors. They get to read your thread and laugh because they bothered you enough to post a thread about them. So congrats on feeding the trolls.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited November 2015
    Report the in game drama in game. Bringing it to the forums accomplishes nothing except giving publicity to the bad actors. They get to read your thread and laugh because they bothered you enough to post a thread about them. So congrats on feeding the trolls.

Opening in game tickets accomplishes what exactly? Nothing, and you too know this sad reality. We are all aware of the lack of in-game moderation. I couldnt care less if griefers are reading or not, what would they be laughing at exactly? Their pathetic lifes of online thugging? lol. I'll never see this griefer and he represents nothing on my life, but the point Im trying to make is catch Cryptic attention to do whats right for the sake of the game.

There are several flaws that need to be covered, not only in game but also at Cryptic office. They need to start taking in game moderation seriously if this game is to survive, this topic has been up for 24h and there is still not a SINGLE acknowledge from Cryptic devs or forum admin. I will not stop until I hear something or see some action done, I dont care for this person, I just wanna see the game I care a good environment to play. Im doing my share, what about you?
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I think maybe a good idea would be to record the mission, especially if it's a pug . I don't know if the game moderators would do anything in response to video proof but I would like to think they would at least have some idea on how the griefer was able to ruin the mission and modify it so it won't happen again. This in the event the griefer was using some exploit to accomplish, failing the mission. Not sure if the bandwidth gets messed up because of it.

Doing stf's with your fleet might be time consuming to get a team but there must also be some serious stf channels that reduce the chance of this kind of encounter happening (I hope) .​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's even worse in CO.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2015

There are several flaws that need to be covered, not only in game but also at Cryptic office. They need to start taking in game moderation seriously if this game is to survive, this topic has been up for 24h and there is still not a SINGLE acknowledge from Cryptic devs or forum admin. I will not stop until I hear something or see some action done, I dont care for this person, I just wanna see the game I care a good environment to play. Im doing my share, what about you?

I feel you op and your described form of griefing is something every player has experienced in this game over the years.

The fact that no dev or mod reports to this thread should give you the answer you seek. They probably don’t care enough, have their hands full or are simply happy with the situation as it is. Also, it would take some sort of greatness to admit flaws in the feasibility of maps that are 2-3 years old.

My suggestion is to move on, try to work around this problem by focusing your play towards in game friends, fleet mates or metal DPS channels.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • juanvenkatjuanvenkat Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    You only worsen it by being an angry emo with the ignore button and flipping out, at least make it seem that you are not.

People have this idea that the ignore buttom is some kind of punishment threat they can hold over others, but it's really just a target on your back and a huge sign of weakness; it's a visual representation of you losing your TRIBBLE in 15 seconds.

If you want to live in the world, you have to be able to cope with the elements of the world. Rainy weather, cheating partner, TRIBBLE job, dying parents, TRIBBLE neighbors, incompetent corporations, corrupt government.

The illusion of the ignore button pushes you in the opposite direction of coping. So rather I think you need to work on not giving people control over you, being so vulnerable, especially in a video game or situation that doesn't matter.

You can't fix stupid, and you can't fix the stupidity of the world, but changing your reaction to it and handling of it is right there in front of you.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    its funny because I have never had a major problems with other players on sto, sadly I cant say the same for other mmo's I have played.
    sure I had one time when a player kept sending me a private challenge but I just took no notice and he eventually went away, other then that no real problems at all either in game or on this forum.
    sure I have had players who disagree with my views as I have disagreed with theirs and on rare occasions the debate has led to some name calling by the other poster but I just shrug it off and don't dwell on any minor things like that.

other mmo games I have played have been full of nasty's who are only out to spoil your fun and insult you at every opportunity.

had a few spam mails in game from people trying to sell game stuff for $$$ luckily the delete icon is easy to use and takes no prisoners.

never had to use the ignore button once.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    juanvenkat wrote: »
    You only worsen it by being an angry emo with the ignore button and flipping out, at least make it seem that you are not.

People have this idea that the ignore buttom is some kind of punishment threat they can hold over others, but it's really just a target on your back and a huge sign of weakness; it's a visual representation of you losing your TRIBBLE in 15 seconds.

If you want to live in the world, you have to be able to cope with the elements of the world. Rainy weather, cheating partner, TRIBBLE job, dying parents, TRIBBLE neighbors, incompetent corporations, corrupt government.

The illusion of the ignore button pushes you in the opposite direction of coping. So rather I think you need to work on not giving people control over you, being so vulnerable, especially in a video game or situation that doesn't matter.

You can't fix stupid, and you can't fix the stupidity of the world, but changing your reaction to it and handling of it is right there in front of you.

Sounds like something the harrasser himself would say. "deal with it".

I think we know what you do for fun in this game now.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    edited November 2015
    juanvenkat wrote: »

Cross your arms and dont do anything if you must, you are accomplishing a LOT to the World around you, heh! Trying to make things RIGHT is being a "angry emo"? You will accomplish a lot in your life with this mentality, thats a good idea, lets just sit and wait for Divine intervention to fix whats wrong!
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    its funny because I have never had a major problems with other players on sto, sadly I cant say the same for other mmo's I have played.
    sure I had one time when a player kept sending me a private challenge but I just took no notice and he eventually went away, other then that no real problems at all either in game or on this forum.
    sure I have had players who disagree with my views as I have disagreed with theirs and on rare occasions the debate has led to some name calling by the other poster but I just shrug it off and don't dwell on any minor things like that.

other mmo games I have played have been full of nasty's who are only out to spoil your fun and insult you at every opportunity.

had a few spam mails in game from people trying to sell game stuff for $$$ luckily the delete icon is easy to use and takes no prisoners.

It's funny you mention that because it got me thinking about my personal experience in game and I really cannot recall being in the same situation the OP describes although in another game such as APB Reloaded (does mentioning another game count as "name and shame"?) I lost count the many times a griefer would pop up to kill the mission or even one outside the mission group doing that.

Most of the PUG's in Star Trek Online I have had to play in when the mission would fail it was due to lack of team work, fire power, or just ignorance of the mission itself. Sure there were times were after the failed mission it turned into a flame fest and the "blame game" gets passed around like a cheap bottle of whiskey but by then most of us are just concentrating on the next mission to get caught up in that.

As far as the forums go , meh, we both have disagreed in the past on a subject or two but at least we kept it civil enough not to let it turn it into something as juvenile as name calling and for that you have my sincerest thanks. As to the OP , I stand by my original advice and say just do missions with your fleet mates or friends and see if there is a channel dedicated to just doing stf's without the griefer element in it.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Well aside from the 36 different moderators advice you received OP, I do agree Cryptic needs to actual, well, work on Anti-Grieving.

The main problem really stems from the game design where grief can be caused which, you really shouldn't have that ability or at least have it as limited as possible. I don't know what the answer is but STO is plagued with them and appear to have it worst off than most games I've played.

Stick with friends and/or fleet mates is your best bet, or, avoid said content all together and do something else.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Grow a pair and carry on. That's all you can do anyway.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    @rickdanko

We play Star Trek online, we don't have pairs.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Anyone who thinks THIS is griefing should go check out Eve Online.

It's an open sandbox MMO with no rules and just like in real life the only thing anyone ever tries to do is TRIBBLE everyone else. The amount of money and time people have lost in that game is staggering. One epic space battle that took place last year destroyed about $350,000 worth of game items. Did I mention that when something is destroyed Its gone for good? That's right. And if you think the ~$150 price tag to get an Annorax is expensive you'll be shocked to know that the best ships in that game cost roughly $4000 to acquire and it takes years to even learn to fly one. Oh yes, and did I mention if they get blown up they're gone for good?

STO is like go-fish compared to that.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    "Ignore" is not a bad idea if used judiciously. I don't think it should be used, for instance, simply because of *disagreement,* but in the case of ad hominem attacks (as opposed to "I don't agree and here are facts I feel back up my position and refute yours"), harassment, spam, and general churlish behavior, I think there is no problem with hitting "ignore," preferably after reporting the individual at least once to describe the inappropriate behavior. Hitting "ignore" and moving on is a superior option to (for example) losing one's temper and allowing the particularly savvy type of troll to use the outburst to falsely paint *themselves* as the victim.

Regarding that tactic (an aggressor spinning things to make themselves look like the victim), ignoring and moving on can be a way to deprive the troll of their fun. If you do it WITHOUT going off on them or making any form of rude or against-the-rules statement, all they can really do is yell, "WAHH! WAAAHH! The big bad player put me on ignore!" But if YOU never made a fuss about it, publicly announced it, or did anything questionable, then it makes the troll look a lot more petty and desperate for attention.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Did I mention that when something is destroyed Its gone for good?

That is the most idiotic bit of game design I've ever heard. I would never buy something in-game that can be taken away, especially by other players.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    this topic has been up for 24h and there is still not a SINGLE acknowledge from Cryptic devs or forum admin.

And most certainly there won't be one if it stays up for anothe 1000 hours. To be quoting from my experiences mentioned above: as a responsible person (meant: a person who would be responsible for taking actions, not the general meaning of an adult or something like that) you can not participate in public arguments. You will only hear one side of the story and/or get trapped in a discussion with both sides where every other post includes some minutiae or questionable relevance but will want another answer from you. Taking sides is impossible.

Also: more people will want more quibbles handled by the big guy down to "my fleet promised me for 50,000 contributions I would get a go at the ship requisition and I didn't".

So the most you can do is a "We are sorry that you had a bad experience playing STO, we will look what we can do to improve it, we hope you will still enjoy the game" standard letter. Which is already annoying as a mail, even if they do look into it, but in a forum it will just be a bad joke after two posts.

So unless we are talking an extremely, provably clear cut thing of large proportions, community managers will not publicly enter such a debate.

Devs won't do it anyway since it isn't their job.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    @Hanover2

Well I only spoke of the negative side of the game. While I would agree it's silly you have to understand Eve Online. It's a technological marvel in itself because it's a self contained micro universe that replicates real world conditions almost exactly. It has a fully functioning capitalistic economy that is entirely player controlled and over half a million players.

Nothing in the game can't be influenced or controlled by the players making it a story literally driven by the gamers. There are player founded and controlled banks, insurance companies, cargo transportation etc. In that respect it's incredible and like many people I like to observe though not participate. In fact many economists have used it as a study tool.

It's basically the ultimate science fiction role playing game.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I've never seen any professional internet service that would discuss moderation actions in public.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

It's funny you mention that because it got me thinking about my personal experience in game and I really cannot recall being in the same situation the OP describes although in another game such as APB Reloaded (does mentioning another game count as "name and shame"?) I lost count the many times a griefer would pop up to kill the mission or even one outside the mission group doing that.

Most of the PUG's in Star Trek Online I have had to play in when the mission would fail it was due to lack of team work, fire power, or just ignorance of the mission itself. Sure there were times were after the failed mission it turned into a flame fest and the "blame game" gets passed around like a cheap bottle of whiskey but by then most of us are just concentrating on the next mission to get caught up in that.

As far as the forums go , meh, we both have disagreed in the past on a subject or two but at least we kept it civil enough not to let it turn it into something as juvenile as name calling and for that you have my sincerest thanks. As to the OP , I stand by my original advice and say just do missions with your fleet mates or friends and see if there is a channel dedicated to just doing stf's without the griefer element in it.​​

sure you cant go wrong with fleet mates, its turning out that we certainly agree on more then we disagree on my friend.
    does that sound right? anyway, you know what I mean. lol

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Ahh, one of these threads.

Unfortunately my suggestions come too late to be any use to you, OP, on this particular occasion. But for next time... Well, a troll or griefer is a very simple creature really. All he wants is attention from his victim, to know that he annoyed you or got under your skin. This thread for example is everything that the troll could have possibly hoped for. If he reads it he really knows that he got to you.

Therefore the best anti-troll tactic is to ignore the troll. Try not to even acknowledge the fact he exists if you can. On the rare occasion I get spammed with private challenges I simply move the window to an unobtrusive area of the screen and just let them expire as though I were afk. It works wonders for me, they usually stop spamming me within 5 minutes. If the trolling is verbal then the same technique applies. Just ignore it all-the old fashioned way instead of using the ignore button.

I know these things can be difficult to do but its always worked for me. Heck one time my Klingon fleet and I were role playing on Risa when members of a... certain fleet that should not be named arrived and did their hardest to grief and troll us. The only thing we did was switch our role playing from local chat to our fleet channel and carried on. It took about 5-10 minutes for the trolls to get bored and leave since not one of us had reacted.

*Sigh.* If only everyone understood this simple concept.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sort of like that Simpson's episode Treehouse of Horror VI where the giant advertising statues come to life. They terrorized Springfield but were destroyed by everyone turning their back on them and ignoring them.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • It never ceases to amaze how far people will go with conspiracy theories and slander to throw mud on known pillars of the community. Please lock this shameful thread mod!
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Greifing isn't just being done in PVE events. There is a group that is figuring out how to greif areas of battlezones as well. I've seen a group, mostly from the same fleet, grief Kobali Prime battlezone (NOTE: I'm going going to post how they do it). Luckly you can change instances. Yet this could become a problem if they learn how to do more.

The one time I tried to figure out why they doing it, all I got was challenge PM's for PVP matches. Is it because PVP is dead that they are trying to grief areas of the game? Its hard to tell when not enough people write on the forums, and the forums are largely ignored by the company, etc. There is really nothing as a go between for players and staff,a nd many of us know that when it gets too far out of wack STO could end with the problems Galaxies had before it died.
    Griefing needs to be controlled, and issues delt with.
    If by "pillars of the community" you refer to Starfleet Dental then I humbly suggest you place your head back up your TRIBBLE and leave the rest of us with our IQ's intact.
This discussion has been closed.