test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Single Step

Triphox sipped her morning tea as she read the summary of simulations they had run overnight on the quantum phase inhibitor. She tried to keep her attention focused, but she kept getting distracted, her thoughts turning to the argument she had with her husbands the night before.

All it takes is a single step.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    "My name is Daniels"

Aw, hell
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    As a big temporal cold war Enterprise fan I have been waiting and hoping for this! Hurrah!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Bring on the vampire-looking alien TRIBBLE's
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Damnit knew he would show up sooner or later well long as we get to rub time travel in t'pols face an yell at archer not to give earths address to everyone I'm fine with it :)
  • ynrocjdynrocjd Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Matt Winston for STO? I'd LOVE it.. Such a great actor (hell, Dr. Steadman on Scrubs was *so* funny)

Oh, and: Bortus and.. Ajur? Let's go to Risa for a Captain's Holiday ^^
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    "It's been a long road... Getting from there to here..."

https://youtu.be/urYH6xEyXw0

This theme was never my favorite, but it's kinda grown on me through the years to the point where I don't actually hate it anymore.

Now, can we have the MACO uniforms??
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Daniels? Not this man again.

So it looks like we're going full steam ahead into the freakin Temporal Cold War Arc. As opposed to Dr. Cooper above, there are no Star Trek stories that I abhor more. I trust that since Archer ultimately wins the thing, we'll just be seeing the beginning of it and moving on?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    daveyny wrote: »
    "It's been a long time... Getting from there to here..."
    B)

Road...
    It's been a long time, but Russel Watson's time is finally near.
  • coulomb2coulomb2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I am very much enjoying these new missions, but as an astronomer there is something I feel compelled to point out - red dwarf stars have expected main sequence lifetimes of hundreds of billions to over a trillion years. There is no way a red dwarf would be naturally nearing the end of its life cycle (the universe is only 13.7 billion years old). The only way that could happen is if (as happened in Sunrise) somebody actually artificially messed with the star's fusion processes.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Oh frak me sideways. Its really happening. I fear Captain Shon and the Enterprise are not long for this world
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    coulomb2 wrote: »
    I am very much enjoying these new missions, but as an astronomer there is something I feel compelled to point out - red dwarf stars have expected main sequence lifetimes of hundreds of billions to over a trillion years. There is no way a red dwarf would be naturally nearing the end of its life cycle (the universe is only 13.7 billion years old). The only way that could happen is if (as happened in Sunrise) somebody actually artificially messed with the star's fusion processes.

Given Sunrise, I think that is quite possible. That was also a main-sequence star (someone pointed out the tooltip as you enter the system indicated it was a G-type star), that got pushed into Wolf-Rayet-like behavior.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I was wondering if we were going to see the Temporal Cold War. Because like Daniels said in the show, it was going on throughout the timeline so technically, that includes the 25th century. Would be interesting to see how reality would change and in what way.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Tempral wars here we go.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm not a big fan of the whole temporal shenenigans and not a big fan of Enterprise, to put it kindly.

Still, nice read and once again I ask: Why don't we get those in the actual game? It would be very welcome, even if they just come as a bulletin.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the whole temporal shenenigans and not a big fan of Enterprise, to put it kindly.

Still, nice read and once again I ask: Why don't we get those in the actual game? It would be very welcome, even if they just come as a bulletin.​​

My recommendation after the Iconian War fiasco still stands: Easter Egg these into the missions where there's an interactable console you can find (but is not required). Finding them all, per arc, should result in an accolade.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The Temporal Cold War is, with the Dominion War in DS9, one of my favorite ST story arc. I'm really happy.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Aw yea!

:: grabs his temporal tin foil hat ::

Let's do this!
    5rFUCPd.png

• coulomb2coulomb2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    coulomb2 wrote: »

Given Sunrise, I think that is quite possible. That was also a main-sequence star (someone pointed out the tooltip as you enter the system indicated it was a G-type star), that got pushed into Wolf-Rayet-like behavior.

Actually I noticed the same tooltip, which is why I was surprised the "re-ignited" star was distinctly blue-white. G-type stars are yellow-white (technically, they're actually a pure white color to human vision, but looking at them through an atmosphere has led to the forgivable fiction that they're yellowish).

Still, I'll admit the fact that the red dwarf is near Tholian space did make me wonder if the star's "dying" is indeed artificial, as was the case of the star in Sunrise.
    gulberat wrote: »
    My recommendation after the Iconian War fiasco still stands: Easter Egg these into the missions where there's an interactable console you can find (but is not required). Finding them all, per arc, should result in an accolade.
    Or: let's reopen Memory Alpha as a museum (along with these... interactable consoles).
    ynrocjd wrote: »
    "It's been a long time... Getting from there to here..."
    B)

Road...
    It's been a long time, but Russel Watson's time is finally near.

Yeah, remembered the second verse outta order...

Fixed it!
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I hope Cryptic's TCW arc is better thought-out than the one from the show. I didn't really mind that plot in ENT, but agree it could have been done better.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    Maybe They'll actually get to disclose who the Humanoid Guy in the temporal stream was?
    I hope it's a Romulan/Vulcan hybrid dude from the future.
    B)
  • whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    TEMPORAL COLD WAR IS GO...
    SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif
    #%&$ Just Got Real
    "It's been a long road... Getting from there to here..."

https://youtu.be/urYH6xEyXw0

This theme was never my favorite, but it's kinda grown on me through the years to the point where I don't actually hate it anymore.

Now, can we have the MACO uniforms??
    B)

YOU can say that again.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Maybe They'll actually get to disclose who the Humanoid Guy in the temporal stream was?
    I hope it's a Romulan/Vulcan hybrid dude from the future.
    B)
    And then, it turns out to be... Kurland!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • marcoramius2marcoramius2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Awesome, looking forward to it or back, which ever.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    I liked "Enterprise" overall, but really grew to hate the whole TCW storyline as it felt tacked on to ie the show to future series and open the door for possible 'crossovers' (that never happened until that god-awful final ENT episode "These Are the Voyages".

That said, we all knew this aspect of the current (new) storyline in STO was coming and it's interesting they're tying elements of the ENT episode "Future Tense" and the TNG episode "Captain's Holiday" directly into an STO storyline. I'm sure their will be more tie ins to come.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    It's great to start a new story arc. Thanks! Can't wait to see how the devs and writing staff weave us into the TCW.
    I have to ask, though, am I the only person who can't see mention of Vorgons without worrying that we'll be forced to listen to cosmically horrible poetry?
    don-t-panic.png

Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    He should have eaten the quantum phase inhibitor. Then the Vorgons couldn't have gotten it. Also...well...delicious quantum phase inhibitor!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    sooooooooooooooooooo sick of god dam time travel :( ive hated every single episode of time travel there has been in star trek its getting to the point where i would actually prefer a moogie episode at this point. and we jsut got done with medeling with time to save ourselves from the iconians... sevral times... and it cost our universe an entire race to do it.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I just hope they work in Gary 7, Roberta Lincoln, Isis, and the Beta 5 computer from Assignment: Earth. Watching Enterprise made me suspect that Gary was a Temporal Cold War agent.