test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which Battletech Faction would you choose?

rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
edited October 2015 in Ten Forward
Same idea as the Warhammer 40k poll, but with the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe of the 31st Century... with giant walking war machines of death. ^^

Naming specific clans/houses/Merc companies is welcome as well.
db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Which Battletech Faction would you choose? 22 votes

Warden Clans
22%
cuchulainn74kitsunesnoutturbomagnusknightraider6ghostwold 5 votes
Crusader Clans
4%
patrickngo 1 vote
Inner Sphere Successor Houses
36%
cptjhuntercaleb143oldravenman3025mustrumridcully0hypldirlettialordmalak1highlord83 8 votes
Mercenary
18%
coldnapalmantonine3258tymerstocmdrscarlet 4 votes
ComStar
4%
hawkwing43 1 vote
Star League Defence Force
9%
rattler2giovanniblasini 2 votes
Word of Blake
4%
phrg 1 vote
TRIBBLE politics... where's Solaris VII? Mech Gladiator!
0%

Comments

• highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I'm an Inner Sphere fan. Specifically a FedCom fan. All the filthy clanners can die in a fire.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm... for a second I confused this with Robotech. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    highlord83 wrote: »
    I'm an Inner Sphere fan. Specifically a FedCom fan. All the filthy clanners can die in a fire.

Unless we happen to make them "Bondsman", then they would be OUR vicious Clan Marauders. :p
    Inner Sphere FTW!

Hmm... for a second I confused this with Robotech. :p

Well... in the early days some Robotech designs were used in Battletech and Mechwarrior, most notably the Tomahawk Destroid, VF-1A Veritech, and Zentradi Officer's Pod. They appeared as the Warhammer, Stinger, and Marauder battlemechs. Then came the whole lawsuit over the designs and they, along with a few others like the Rifleman, became the "Unseen". Eventually they were redesigned and became "Reseen". But some of us older battletech fans still remember the original "Unseen" designs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Warden Clans
    I am in with Clan Wolf. Coincidentally I was just about to begin playing MWO again in between my STO sessions, was gone from it for months due to being short on time. A proud owner of three Kit fox variants and was working to get elite tweaks when I last played, and intend to finish that goal!
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    The Glorious and Eternal Celestial Realm of the House of Liao. Glory to the Capellan Confederation! Death to the Stoners and Davionistas!
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Mercenary
    Merc - write your own ticket, so at least you feel justified for dying on some barely habitable rock somewhere. :)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    I picked SLDF, specifically during the operation to destroy the Smoke Jaguars. I also lean towards House Davion myself so I guess... I could be from a Davion unit assigned to the SLDF. So I fight not only for FedCom/Federated Suns, I fight for the entire Inner Sphere. Bring it on Clanners!

I have respect for the Warden Wolves as well. Also respect certain Merc units such as the Northwind Highlanders, Grey Death Legion, Eridani Light Horse, and Wolf's Dragoons.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Mercenary
    Grey Death Legion has always been a favorite of mine. Although I have yet to read their last book as I understand its the "death of the unit ...
    Mercenary
    Grey Death Legion has always been a favorite of mine. Although I have yet to read their last book as I understand its the "death of the unit ...

That's my understanding (The Dying Time I think) - though I haven't read it either since I really like the GDL and Gressman's never impressed me that much in the BT line.

The Blakist Jihad was sort of hard on me.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Only book I have on the GDL is Operation Excalibur. I also have Binding Force and a few of the Twilight of the Clans books.
    Mercenary
    I recommend the first 'trilogy' of Saga of the Grey Death Legion books on general principle - fair warning, these were early, early BT books and some of the 3025 stuff has been filled in a bit more, but this was the more pulpy era of Battletech when things were more generally feudal.

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Warden Clans
    I'd be sort of in a grey-area; after the original SLDF went into self-exile holding onto an ideal rather than see it fall apart, but before Kerensky took over from his father and they became the Clans. I'm not sure rather that would fall under Warden Clans, Crusader Clans or SLDF for the purpose of this poll...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I go by uniforms and the Davion one looked better to my taste so my vote goes there.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited October 2015
    I'd be sort of in a grey-area; after the original SLDF went into self-exile holding onto an ideal rather than see it fall apart, but before Kerensky took over from his father and they became the Clans. I'm not sure rather that would fall under Warden Clans, Crusader Clans or SLDF for the purpose of this poll...

In this case, I view SLDF as the version formed in response to the Clan invasion, so basically the unified Inner Sphere that destroyed the Smoke Jaguars. The Warden Clans are the ones who view themselves more as protectors of the Inner Sphere. Guides and Guardians. So based on interpretation they could be the closest to the original SLDF. The Crusader Clans feel that they must take the Inner Sphere by force and reform the Star League in their image.

Clan Wolf intro: Mechwarrior 2 (Warden)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YkfIJ8HUWs

Clan Jade Falcon intro: Mechwarrior 2 (Crusader)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpmNICpwNnc
    I recommend the first 'trilogy' of Saga of the Grey Death Legion books on general principle - fair warning, these were early, early BT books and some of the 3025 stuff has been filled in a bit more, but this was the more pulpy era of Battletech when things were more generally feudal.

But you did see some of the stuff from Battledroids and Battletech Second Edition get retconned by the time these books were published. Water was still a strategic resource to be fought over. But the whole thing with Battlemechs being out of production, and nobody knowing how to build them anymore, had already been retconned by the sourcebooks and Technical Readout 3025.

Mercenary
    ^ When the books were originally published, the lawsuit against FASA had not hit, iirc. So, the cover to Mercenary's Star (book 2) shows the Marauder in the pre-lawsuit version (the style from Marcross/Robotech).

Keith, Jr. and Stackpole are some of my favorite authors because of the Grey Death Saga.
    Mercenary

But you did see some of the stuff from Battledroids and Battletech Second Edition get retconned by the time these books were published. Water was still a strategic resource to be fought over. But the whole thing with Battlemechs being out of production, and nobody knowing how to build them anymore, had already been retconned by the sourcebooks and Technical Readout 3025.

Right - earliest version, Hersperus II used to make 'Mechs, and had parts warehouses worth fighting over, versus the Defiance Industries production (which couldn't keep up with the demand of constant war, of course, as the slow descent into barbarism was one of the big themes) - but also this was the era where things like the Phantom 'Mech abilities happened, which was cool and silly, but has been quietly brushed over since the line's emphasis changed.

Though apparently new books are starting to come out with moving the novel fiction line past 3067.

• tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Mercenary
    Just to make a quick point, A good number of the Unseen/Project Phoenix 'Mechs are getting new "Closer to Unseen status, but not" art. Being dubbed "Classic" by both Catalyst & players, the one's so far shown are rather good.
    At this time, the Classics shown have been:
    • Warhammer
    • Marauder
    • Shadow Hawk
    • Locust
    • Ostscout (w/hands)

The above can be seen on the Master Unit list site.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
    Wait... some of them are getting another facelift to make them closer to the original designs? Sweet! I always thought the Reseen Marauder looked like a bloated fish or something since I was used to the original design. And that Warhammer is pretty sweet.
    Mercenary
    The Marauder looks much better than the Project Phoenix version from a few years ago in my opinion - much closer to the original.

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Never read the books, but I played the board game. FASA came out with some good ones back then.

I remember standing waist deep in a river in a Rifleman, blasting anything that came over the rim of the nearby range of hills.
    I remember dropping on a world and wiping out the local garrison, only to discover another crew had done it first, and we shot up our faction's newly hired merc crew.
    I remember raiding other crews for parts. I remember looting battlefields for parts. I remember getting paid for missions in parts. I remember a four-sided fight over a pile of parts that just kept going because everybody was so badly mauled that nobody could play the next game session unless they won it all.

I don't recall the name of our Company. We worked for Clan Karennia or something like that.

I also recall my brother's gleeful deus ex machina destruction of my Union Dropship after we captured it fair and square in a battle. Nobody blows up their own ship just to keep me from getting it!

Given my history, I guess I'm a Merc.
    edited October 2015
    The Marauder looks much better than the Project Phoenix version from a few years ago in my opinion - much closer to the original.

Um... that first link is of the Warhammer. NOT the Marauder.
    Marauder's in the background... didn't notice it at first. The Warhammer's right up front and easier to spot.
    edited October 2015
    Mercenary
    Holy TRIBBLE ... that's a Griffin in to the left!? TRIBBLE yeah.

STORY TIME: My friend plays an Atlas and I try a Phoenix Hawk because he boasts the Atlas is the best Mech in the game. I can't recall why I would pick the PH over ... anything else ... but I did.

After the proverbial cat-and-mouse game, he gets a good shot to a leg. 6 hexes away I decide to Death From Above and score a head hit. That doesn't kill the Atlas, and it cripples the PH. Double danger as the PH falls after the attack. The Atlas misses with the AC/20 (!) and really pounds on the PH. From the ground I get a Large Laser shot to the head for the win.

Best. Game. Evar.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Holy TRIBBLE ... that's a Griffin in to the left!? TRIBBLE yeah.

STORY TIME: My friend plays an Atlas and I try a Phoenix Hawk because he boasts the Atlas is the best Mech in the game. I can't recall why I would pick the PH over ... anything else ... but I did.

After the proverbial cat-and-mouse game, he gets a good shot to a leg. 6 hexes away I decide to Death From Above and score a head hit. That doesn't kill the Atlas, and it cripples the PH. Double danger as the PH falls after the attack. The Atlas misses with the AC/20 (!) and really pounds on the PH. From the ground I get a Large Laser shot to the head for the win.

Best. Game. Evar.

I understand the appeal to some extent, but it also part of why I don't like the Battletech rules - too random results. It makes tactical play a lot less important than dice luck. It can make for great stories like this one, but they are always just about the luck, not about player skill.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Mercenary
    To a degree. Player skill comes from maneuvering to use the speed of your Mech relative to distance to the target Mech and terrain effects while taking into account the weapon compliment of your Mech (distance limitations and special rules). Naturally, you want it be easier for you, and harder for the opponent, to score a hit using modifiers to a base score (Gunnery Skill).

So, after the calculations, it IS a matter of luck. Yet, on two D6 dice used, the challenge is to make your "score" as low as possible in order to increase the chance to roll equal to or higher than the score. Getting or keeping that score low is based on player skill.
  • giovanniblasinigiovanniblasini Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Niops Association.

(Yeah, for those of you on the BT forums, I'm that Gio.)

Voted for SLDF, though, which is another one of my preferred factions. Basically, in order, I'm something like Niops Association > Explorer Corps/Interstellar Expeditions > Terran Hegemony > SLDF > ComStar general
    Niops Association.

(Yeah, for those of you on the BT forums, I'm that Gio.)

Voted for SLDF, though, which is another one of my preferred factions. Basically, in order, I'm something like Niops Association > Explorer Corps/Interstellar Expeditions > Terran Hegemony > SLDF > ComStar general

Long time, no see, Gio. Hows it been with ya?