test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled AccountServer Restart and Network Update

Comments

• tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    Good morning, Ms. Trendy. Hope your day goes better.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • rsciwrsciw Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Servers unavailable now? Isn't 1500 UTC in one hour? O_o
  • njdmb30njdmb30 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    The timing for the server going down was perfect. I really mean that. The group of folks I was playing with managed to finish the Voth ground battlezone right before the server shut down. It was really exciting to beat it when I knew we were pressed for time (though I prefer being able to take my time!)
    rsciw wrote: »

Someone at Cryptic got confused by daylight saving time...
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    Hey folks!

So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).

~LaughingTrendy

(I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

So you basically told us nothing about nothing and your overseeing something you know nothing about. And delaying time off to do the job you are paid for, am I missing something ?

Why did you even bother to post ?

Because posting and updating us about goings on that affect players is her job? Meaning that rather than take her vacation as she originally intended she stuck around to do her job?

Where I'm from that's called diligence and dedication.

And considering how in the past server issues have left the Community team at Cryptic kind of in the lurch because they're not getting communication from tech support while these server issues are resolved I can see why she would want to monitor the process and keep her finger on the pulse.

Well done Trendy, Bacon in your honor.

My only complaint about her report is the rather Jossian "computery things" terminology.

We're Trekkies dammit, we only deal in Technobabble!
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Manamana (Universal greeting technical mojo)

is this why the launcher can't access the controller tracker again?

De-de -de -de (technical mumbo jumbo)

Universal greeting? I'm fairly certain the Universal Greeting is Bah-wheep-grah-nah-wheep-ninni-Bon. Identify yourself!
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    Hey folks!

So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).

~LaughingTrendy

(I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

So you basically told us nothing about nothing and your overseeing something you know nothing about. And delaying time off to do the job you are paid for, am I missing something ?

Why did you even bother to post ?

Well lets see, she told us what was going on in the first 28 or so words, and then injected a little humour into the proceedings. Oh and by the way, when some one takes a day off its called Annual Leave which she's entitled to AS PART OF THE JOB SHE DOES.

So....why did you even bother to post??

Proof, if any were needed, that you cant please all of the people all of the time :/

Thanks for the heads up Trendy.
    Yeah, it's not like Trendy actually reboots the server herself. :p (Actually I doubt she even goes into that room,) She's the CM, not the network engineer. :p

if it's only a svr reboot, you actualy dont need to go anywhere, that's what RDP is for, remotely take control reboot and rdp again to see if all went fine. can be done from anywhere on Earth as long as you have IP (or dyndns services) adress of your server and a router / firewall alowing you to use RDP on a specific internal IP.
    So Trendy is probably perfectly capable of doing a single complete svrs restart anywhere she is ;)

Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Let me second that. Why do you guys even bother to "convert" maintenance times to different time zones if you can't do it properly?
    The servers went down at 1400 UTC, and hour earlier than you said they would, which pretty much destroyed most of my today's gaming plans.

robin74 wrote: »
    Let me second that. Why do you guys even bother to "convert" maintenance times to different time zones if you can't do it properly?
    The servers went down at 1400 UTC, and hour earlier than you said they would, which pretty much destroyed most of my today's gaming plans.

Umm...they didn't. They always do it local. She said 7AM/0700 Pacific Standard Time. At least that's what is said for me.

Although there's no accounting for the Daylight Savings Time system over her, my computer still can't get the damn thing right.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"

indeed...

I too had realy good plans to become rich and it never happened ... can I blame you for that ? ;)
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG

cube.jpg
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Even the word 'overseeing' gets misinterpreted as 'managing' and thus twisted into an argument proposing that I'm managing the process thereof. Really as 'overseeing' I'm monitoring it, constantly in talks with the engineers as well as other folks in the building and gathering status check-ins for my consumption. But all it takes is the twisting of the connotation of one word to grossly change the entire course of a thread and try to pick a fight with an Admin at 6AM.

Bravo, you earned your ban.

I think its safe to assume that the majority here appreciates your efforts Trendy, and your style of presentation :) I find it refereshing.
    server_hamster6.png
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Yep my plans to take over the world also got foiled by this action of Cryptic. Bad timing Cryptic, really bad timing, now I need to go back to figure out my new plan of conquest.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    > @pwlaughingtrendy said:
    > Hey folks!
    >
    > So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).
    >
    > ~LaughingTrendy
    >
    > (I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

hee i do not wanne be that guy butt that hour is gone and the server is stil not on.
    and im new to this game andalrady love it butt i have a some thing to ask, is it posibol that you can walk in your ship even while you fly i mean like you are flying in space and than you stop your ship on any time you want and press some kind of butten to enter the ship and walk in it and when you get attackt some body sais "sir we got attckt what do we need to do "and that you can say Defend Or attck or run . and than walk to the brige and sit and than drive the ship again.

and if this isnt posibol can somebody say if you can walk in your ship when ever you wand
  • zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    More information is always better than no information. Keep it up Trendy and don't stress the others.
    By Vectron knees ! let's do it again !
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG

cube.jpg
    > @pwlaughingtrendy said:
    > Hey folks!
    >
    > So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).
    >
    > ~LaughingTrendy
    >
    > (I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

hee i do not wanne be that guy butt that hour is gone and the server is stil not on.
    and im new to this game andalrady love it butt i have a some thing to ask, is it posibol that you can walk in your ship even while you fly i mean like you are flying in space and than you stop your ship on any time you want and press some kind of butten to enter the ship and walk in it and when you get attackt some body sais "sir we got attckt what do we need to do "and that you can say Defend Or attck or run . and than walk to the brige and sit and than drive the ship again.

and if this isnt posibol can somebody say if you can walk in your ship when ever you wand

hello,

unfortunatly it isnt possible (for now) since your char (ground) and your ship (space) are the same antity for the game.
    to visit your ship you simply have to access the 'visit starship/shuttle bridge' below the minimap, last right button.

wellcome to STO btw ;)
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG

cube.jpg
  • robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Umm...they didn't. They always do it local.

Is that really so? We must be playing some different games then, because the announcement I see reads "We will be performing Account Server maintenance on 10/30/2015 from 7-9 AM Pacific (1500-1700 UTC). Please check the forums for more infor"
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    Yep my plans to take over the world also got foiled by this action of Cryptic. Bad timing Cryptic, really bad timing, now I need to go back to figure out my new plan of conquest.

Yeah, our grandiose plans had daylights beaten out of them... :D On the positive side, the game would be up an hour earlier than I expected.

Umm...they didn't. They always do it local. She said 7AM/0700 Pacific Standard Time. At least that's what is said for me.

Although there's no accounting for the Daylight Savings Time system over her, my computer still can't get the damn thing right.
    If you don't happen to live in North America you probably don't know what Pacific time is... But everyone remembers (or can easily look up) the difference between their timezone and GMT/UTC. So, I (and apparently some other people) always look for that, not for the Pacific.
    im new here so plz dont ban me if i ask does any one know when the accound server thingy is back on i wanne play dis game real bad i got it yesterdayand killd some bork and safed some peapol and does any one know the anwser on the things i aks in my first post
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User

for people in Europe at the least the times on the launcher is given in UST. But apparently the fact that the US is still running on Daylight Saving Time, but Europe switched last weekend, is confusing someone so it went down an hour early compared to the times given there.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.

Is that really so? We must be playing some different games then, because the announcement I see reads "We will be performing Account Server maintenance on 10/30/2015 from 7-9 AM Pacific (1500-1700 UTC). Please check the forums for more infor"

Well that's the launcher, which I assume the Devs are the ones that control that. And then there's Trendy's post here that plainly says 7AM PST.

Out of curiosity what time is it for you on the other side of the pond. I'm on the US east coast where it's 1050. We're going to fall back into Daylight savings this weekend I want to see the difference.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »

Someone at Cryptic got confused by daylight saving time...

Not all countries go off of DST on the same date anymore. The US in particular now waits a long time before doing so.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    Thy Doyouw and srry for the others that saw that there was alrady an awnser so srry for that kinda spam i did post
  • moofrymoofry Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Hi, I just want to say that despite the multiple maintinences of the server this has to be the smoothest patch/expansion/season I have seen Cryptic add to STO. This is an honest good effort in my eyes....and yes, I've had my share of complaints. Keep up the good work Devs and Trendy!
    This feels like STO sometimes lol
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    you don't get banned for asking questions. You get banned for twisting trendy's words to make her look like a TRIBBLE.

*shakes head*

Thanks Trendy for keeping us informed, it is really appreciated. Hope this solves some of that odd lag in the social zones.
  • n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Appreciate the heads up. Have them take as much time as they need to get things patched up properly.

I think you understood correctly, just everyone else misunderstood...
  • rsciwrsciw Member Posts: 54 Arc User

Well that's the launcher, which I assume the Devs are the ones that control that. And then there's Trendy's post here that plainly says 7AM PST.

Out of curiosity what time is it for you on the other side of the pond. I'm on the US east coast where it's 1050. We're going to fall back into Daylight savings this weekend I want to see the difference.

1455 GMT/UTC here now :tongue:

Personally I don't mind it being down one hour earlier than expected, I have more hours in the day I can still play, just came a bit as a surprise while popping stuff into a fleet base project :)

And yeah, UK (and all of Europe I believe) switched from summer time last weekend.
    treu to> @iamaham said:
    > alcyoneserene wrote: »
    >
    > Appreciate the heads up. Have them take as much time as they need to get things patched up properly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think you understood correctly, just everyone else misunderstood...

true butt on the same time i rally wanne play