test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST + INTERVIEW] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 189: "All Jessed Up"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 189: "All Jessed Up" has been published on Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from: http://bit.ly/1MA3mPn

Jesse Heinig, Staff Game Designer for Star Trek Online talks with Captain MidNite Shadow and the rest of the crew of the USS Tribble. After the interview the crew discusses all the news from Star Trek Online and Star Trek.

After the interview with Jesse Heinig, we discuss:
  • Contests,
  • Season 11,
  • Delta Rising Level Cap Adjustment,
  • the new Role Playing Blog,
  • STO Release Notes,
  • Star Trek Anthology
  • Internity
  • Star Trek Renegades
  • Star Trek Horizon
  • Star Trek Beyond,
  • Star Trek Continues,
  • and more!

Please help friend of the show, Trekkie, Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Hello again.

The interview:
    Mmh. I'm not sure what to think here. I mean, I'm grateful so many questions have been answered, but here and there I'm not sure what to make of those answers.

Sela's escape for example. Like I said before, I get that Cryptic is on really good terms with Denise Crosby. That's fine. So having Sela escape was inevitable. I get that, too. I still hate Sela (not Denise Crosby) and "Temporal Ambassador"-Tasha was a pain in the neck, but that is CBS/Cryptic's fault not Denise Crosby's...
    But if that blog back then was supposed to make Sela look hyper-competent at escaping... well, in my opinion it failed. Hard. It only served to make Paris, Kim, Nog and Kagran look completely incompetent. Well, Kagran never seemed to be competent in any way, shape or form, but the other three? If I was Admiral Quinn, I would have demoted all of these morons on the spot. Ensigns forever, since they are clearly unfit for command.

KDF diversity... That sounds good, but he seems to have thought I was asking for a klingon-only story arc. Which I never did, because I'm not a klingon. (I do have KDF characters, even a proper KDF klingon.) Still, the fact that this seems to be something Cryptic is thinking about... well, I'm cautiously optimistic, while sunseahl is probably gonna scream at them. :p

Lt. Cmdr. VanZyl... Okay, I might have to do some explaining here. I think it's great that Cryptic tries to get more actors to do voice over work for the game. I just feel like the people who are "just" voice actors could be pushed a little. It's... how do I put it... I'm not just a trekkie, I'm a full-blown nerd.
    So... I got a little excited when I noticed that Cryptic got Laura Bailey to voice Lt. Cmdr. VanZyl. Why? Well, did you ever hear of... Geek & Sundry? Tabletop? She's been on Tabletop. She's been part of the Tabletop RPG show: Titansgrave. She's a part of Critical Role. (A few voice actors playing a slightly modified 5th edition D&D campaign every thursday evening on the G&S twitch stream. (Recorded versions available on the G&S homepage.))

If any of that means anything to you, you might have started drooling by now. I don't blame you. I think of the possibilities, too. I mean, Critical Role did gather donations for Extra Life at some point. Now imagine Perfect World/Cryptic, Wizards of the Coast and Geek & Sundry coming together to do some charity event (Extra Life would work just fine...). And if Laura Bailey was part of that, you would have a link to STO. And at that point in time my brain just shuts down from the amount of cross-promotional awesome. (I told you I'm a nerd...)
    I guess what I'm trying to say is... don't just go for Star Trek alumni to appease the trekkies. Remember (and push) some of your voice actors, too. Give them something to work with. Go out there and say that you got these amazing people in your game.

And then I remember that these are the same people that don't seem to see any benefits in having a fansite that does datamining. So many missed opportunities. -.-

Post-War blog #1:
    I'm sorry, sunseahl, I really don't get it. This whole blog is not bad, it's just so... typically klingon. I mean, klingons have always been like this. It's a lot of talk about honor, the klingon ship does not power up its weapons (Okay, I admit that was a new experience...), the first officer apparently leaves the klingon bridge or is not on the bridge in the first place and negotiates this backroom deal. How exactly is this kind of charade honorable? It's all about saving face, but why? I mean, technically the first officer would be first in line to challenge the captain. (Remember the klingon tutorial?) If she's on board with this, why is he so "afraid"? I just cannot wrap my brain around this klingon "honor" they are talking about.
    By the way, the klingons are not powering up their weapons, but the starfleet ship still tries to maneuver into an attack position. Why? This kind of role-reversal just baffles me.
    Oh... one last thing... why does the Orion first officer need to explain that her captain tries to "save face"? I'm getting the feeling that starfleet needs to make "Diplomacy 101" mandatory for its own captains, too. -.-

"Sunrise" blog:
    Well, that was really enjoyable. I like that kind of playful banter. So... well done.

Back to the future-power board:
    Mmh. This is a little like the winter event lirpas/bat'leths or the targ power board. Cryptic seems to have a few nerds in their ranks. I mean, you have to be careful not to overdo this kind of stuff, but as a nerd myself I appreciate the idea.

Season 11 giveaway:
    So, a 5 day giveaway? Well, I'm definitely curious what we're gonna get here and I appreciate those 12 inventory slots.