test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Post War Era #1: Token of Honor

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
“Sir, we are approaching Trafalax 3 now,” Lieutenant Kolle said. On the viewscreen was a small gray-brown rocky planet, mottled with white patches of crystal formations.

The Rigelian Science Officer began her scans of the formations, looking for the highest concentrations of tritanium.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    Nice little storylet; I enjoyed it.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    I am really enjoying these story segments. Kudos to the design team for giving us some real Trek flavor here.
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Klingons are stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    farshore wrote: »
    Klingons are stupid.

And they smell of tulaberries.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    USS Madrid, bad choice of name for a ship that's engaging in negotiations and political shenanigans.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Is it wrong that, just once, I want the Starfleet Captain to not take the high road, to say "Alright, he wants to win it in a fight, then him and me, five minutes from now on the planet's surface, and the one still standing ten minutes after that gets the ore"?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Arrgh link won't open! Never mind found another way to access it.
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Did Kagran receive a promotion?

"The Alliance was even commanded by a Klingon General.”

I wasn't the only one that noticed that then. Enjoyed the story though, nice one guys.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    The Klingon Empire should really change their ways... Now the Chancellor is truly a Emperor since the emperor was KILLED IN ACTION.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Klingons are stupid.
    sov42 wrote: »
    Klingons are stupid.

And they smell of tulaberries.

Im also aware that thier mothers are an earth creature called a hamster? Intriguing species the klingons are i still believe every romulan zoo should have a pair.
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    lighte007 wrote: »
    The Klingon Empire should really change their ways... Now the Chancellor is truly a Emperor since the emperor was KILLED IN ACTION.
    The Emperor there was nothing more but a clone of the real Kahless that died centuries ago, Klingons had been always led by a High Council and a High Chancellor.

They saw this Kahless as a spiritual leader and nothing more, so yeah, the true emperor died but long LONG ago
  • cesaraugmentcesaraugment Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Wow, who ever wrote this has some real talent. I would love to see some sort of tv episode, I would really enjoy it.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    I like these stories.

Trendy, why are you a Velociraptor now?
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Meanwhile, as the Federation and Klingons arguing about a piece of stone , Romulan Republic occupies the solanae sphere . lol.
    The Emperor there was nothing more but a clone of the real Kahless that died centuries ago, Klingons had been always led by a High Council and a High Chancellor.

They saw this Kahless as a spiritual leader and nothing more, so yeah, the true emperor died but long LONG ago

However the real kahless said he would in fact return and i would not think as a clone but as the real man and if that is to be believed then at some point the real kahless will return to claim his empire.

Tbh i could see this happening and as wise of a man as the real kahless was thought to be it could be something that could further realtion with the federation and republic as i would think he would see the an alliance as a good thing.

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I wonder how the Benthan and Kobali coming to the Alpha Quadrant to help defend Earth during "Midnight" will affect things in this 'Post War Era' we're entering...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Meanwhile, as the Federation and Klingons arguing about a piece of stone , Romulan Republic occupies the solanae sphere . lol.

Really want to insult your feddie and Klingon masters?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Could have been a scene from a foundry mission. :)​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Story Decent, Writing needs some work.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I saw that too. Is Kagran being retconned in the prior episodes?

As far as the Klingons' behavior here...this is why I have been saying all along that the Federation should NOT tolerate their garbage. The fact is that from the episode, Starfleet has remobilized faster as I expected they would, and the Klingons are in a position of weakness and handling it with their usual posturing. What they are REALLY saying is, "You are subservient to us, Federation--that is who you are." That is NOT an acceptable position for the Starfleet officer to put the Federation in. That is a HUGE diplomatic mess-up, IMO.

(Unfortunately it is similar to Fed behavior we've seen in the past--such as kowtowing to the Cardassians to end the Border Wars, so I'm not saying the writers here are ignoring canon or anything. Frustrating but...in character with the same things that frustrated me on the show.)

My personal wish:

Let the Alliance blow up. The Federation is stronger, is remobilizing faster, and with the Iconians no longer a galactic-scale threat, the Klingons need to be shown that their ways of conquest are inherently unsustainable. LET the Klingons attempt to fight a war they cannot win and cannot afford (or at the least, get into a Cold War-style arms race that is going to be infrastructurally and socially weighted severely against them), and if it causes the Empire to collapse in a civil war, all the better. If it does, then maybe, as the Enterprise timeline suggests (Klingons are a confirmed Federation member in the 26th century--we do NOT have a join date so it could have been any time before that), then the Federation will get something good out of it in that similar to the Romulans, the Empire's collapse will:

1) Weaken remaining warmongering factions to a set of disunified nuisances that can't present a serious threat to the Federation or Romulan Republic

2) Allow a faction loyal to the memory of Gorkon (and maybe Martok) to rise in an area of former Empire space, which will begin the moves towards true, reliable alliance, and long-term change in Klingon behavior. Once said faction carves out a space for itself, do not send human diplomatic envoys...send Andorians. Given that the Andorians have successfully integrated a warrior tradition into the Federation, they are a far superior choice to humans.

(Now, I wouldn't be so "idealistic" with the idea that a reformed faction could rise, except for what Daniels showed us about the 26th century timeline. Otherwise I would consider the "best case" scenario to be a Klingon Empire that bit off more than it could chew and finally took a conclusive defeat from the Federation with a helping of civil war on the side.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I suspect 'internal pressures' in the Klingon Empire may be making an appearance in our next season.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    k20vtec wrote: »

They are only masters until the romulan republic military complex is stronger and we deal with that insufferable bend knee proconsul D'tan.....maybe we could deal with him and make sela our new proconsul or perhaps even do away with this de facto republic and from the ashes a arise a new romulan star empire.

One can dream i suppose but so long as we have that weak , spineless bend knee proconsul we will always be taking scraps from the federation and klingons....a pity to have fallen so low.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    I like these stories.

Trendy, why are you a Velociraptor now?

I second this entire post.​​
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    messahla wrote: »
    k20vtec wrote: »

They are only masters until the romulan republic military complex is stronger and we deal with that insufferable bend knee proconsul D'tan.....maybe we could deal with him and make sela our new proconsul or perhaps even do away with this de facto republic and from the ashes a arise a new romulan star empire.

One can dream i suppose but so long as we have that weak , spineless bend knee proconsul we will always be taking scraps from the federation and klingons....a pity to have fallen so low.

While I do like the Republic over the RSE, I do think it would be nice if, as the Republic got stronger, they were able to negotiate a harder line against the Klinks and thus place the Klingons in a more dire tactical situation. (After all, it's already implied that Starfleet is building back up faster, AND is socially/politically nowhere near as fragile as the Empire, which is IMO unsustainable in the long term.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    In the meantime the Cardassians spent the last 35 years rebuilding their fleets in secret, and now they are ready to take over the entire galaxy.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Love these little snippets. You guys should really find a way to make them easily accessible in game. Maybe place them on the loading screens or something, or in our Captain's logs in the Journal.
    Klingons are stupid.

They're just proud. If they were stupid Ka'ar would've stormed into the ready room and stabbed his first officer in the back for negotiating behind his back instead of letting her do the job of handling business without blowing up an alliance that had just saved their skin.
    messahla wrote: »

However the real kahless said he would in fact return and i would not think as a clone but as the real man and if that is to be believed then at some point the real kahless will return to claim his empire.

Tbh i could see this happening and as wise of a man as the real kahless was thought to be it could be something that could further realtion with the federation and republic as i would think he would see the an alliance as a good thing.
    Fascinating. In that instance one would have to believe that Kahless had some sort of suspended animation technology as physiologically he was a normal Klingon. Unless he was just one of Flint's disguises or something.
    I wonder how the Benthan and Kobali coming to the Alpha Quadrant to help defend Earth during "Midnight" will affect things in this 'Post War Era' we're entering...
    I imagine it reaffirms their standing in the alliance.
    gulberat wrote: »

I saw that too. Is Kagran being retconned in the prior episodes?
    I think it's a statement of his positional authority as opposed to his actual rank. Similar to how we were a Lieutenant in the Captain's chair.
    As far as the Klingons' behavior here...this is why I have been saying all along that the Federation should NOT tolerate their garbage. The fact is that from the episode, Starfleet has remobilized faster as I expected they would, and the Klingons are in a position of weakness and handling it with their usual posturing. What they are REALLY saying is, "You are subservient to us, Federation--that is who you are." That is NOT an acceptable position for the Starfleet officer to put the Federation in. That is a HUGE diplomatic mess-up, IMO.

(Unfortunately it is similar to Fed behavior we've seen in the past--such as kowtowing to the Cardassians to end the Border Wars, so I'm not saying the writers here are ignoring canon or anything.)

That's not what she said, she said, Klingons are prideful braggarts to the point of stupidity and the smart ones like Ka'ar can't just change their culture overnight. If Ka'ar behaved in a straightforward logical manner, then one of his officers would've called him weak and tried to assassinate to take his job. Until something better happens they'll rely on Starfleet's intelligence and better nature to not let the Galaxy and the alliance blow up.
    My personal wish:

Let the Alliance blow up. The Federation is stronger, is remobilizing faster, and with the Iconians no longer a galactic-scale threat, the Klingons need to be shown that their ways of conquest are inherently unsustainable. LET the Klingons attempt to fight a war they cannot win and cannot afford (or at the least, get into a Cold War-style arms race that is going to be infrastructurally and socially weighted severely against them), and if it causes the Empire to collapse in a civil war, all the better. If it does, then maybe, as the Enterprise timeline suggests (Klingons are a confirmed Federation member in the 26th century--we do NOT have a join date so it could have been any time before that), then the Federation will get something good out of it in that similar to the Romulans, the Empire's collapse will:

1) Weaken remaining warmongering factions to a set of disunified nuisances that can't present a serious threat to the Federation or Romulan Republic

2) Allow a faction loyal to the memory of Gorkon (and maybe Martok) to rise in an area of former Empire space, which will begin the moves towards true, reliable alliance, and long-term change in Klingon behavior. Once said faction carves out a space for itself, do not send human diplomatic envoys...send Andorians. Given that the Andorians have successfully integrated a warrior tradition into the Federation, they are a far superior choice to humans.

(Now, I wouldn't be so "idealistic" with the idea that a reformed faction could rise, except for what Daniels showed us about the 26th century timeline. Otherwise I would consider the "best case" scenario to be a Klingon Empire that bit off more than it could chew and finally took a conclusive defeat from the Federation with a helping of civil war on the side.)
    Frankly I have little doubt that such an idea would fail miserably. The Klingons would simply fight to what would be a virtual extinction. They aren't going to give up just because they're losing. Kagran himself demonstrated that with the failed attack on the Andromeda Sphere. Because that's who they are.

I'm onboard with the idea of a new Klingon philosophy in the Gorkon vein. Especially a revival type culture, getting back to the thoughts of Kolos. Aside from Prime Directive considerations (especially in the spirit of the law) I think that the only way to have a Klingon Renaissance Enlightenment has to come from within. This thread shows why. Look at all the people criticizing the Romulan Republic for being puppets of the Federation and the Empire. Therefore more than anything it HAS to come from inside. Frankly the House system and the inclination Klingons have towards Civil War is the perfect opportunity to showcase that. It's even already written into this story. A Klingon Civil War arc would let us look back and say, "B'Vat was right.", without an exterior foe to focus the Empire's energies, and war to let honor and valor dictate who ascends the ranks of society instead of politics, backstabbing, and secrets, the Klingon Empire tears itself apart. As Ezri said some 45 years ago, the Klingon Empire is terminally ill. The Federation isn't going to get anything out of it by applying Euthanasia to the patient. This has to come from within.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Dumbledore wrote:
    Well, that was fun!

I love these little stories... Now, if there was only some sneaky way to access these in-game for future generations... :)

I like how the Klingon Captain had to save face, even though he didn't want to go to war. I like how he sent an Orion to do the negotiating, hoping it would go smoother (?). And I even like how the Fed captain overreacted, but the Klingon still was ready but never pounced. Clever writing and very imaginative!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I rather like that the writing tries to reflect the multi-cultural makeup of the Klingon Empire, where the KDF command structure works a certain way but the member species have their own methods of negotiating that structure. Having the Klingon Captain puff his chest while the Orion First Officer negotiates a deal makes pretty good sense. I'm sort of looking forward to the possibilities of the Gorn, a species torn by their long-held belief that much of the Quadrant belongs to them and the fact that their intractibility was what made infiltration by the Undine so effective... along with petitions for the Gorn and other vassal species to gain seats on the High Council. I really want to see what the writers can do with a relatively new multi-species/cultural Empire, that hasn't had the long-term homogenization that Starfleet has experienced... and a structure that actually encourages in-fighting to weed out those too weak to serve the Empire properly or too foolish to guide it.

Trox sighed, “Why do we always have to be the ones to take the high road?”

“Because you are Starfleet. That’s who you are.”

I also like that there's a possiblity that this could be reflected a bit more in-game. My Starfleet Captains (okay, they're all Fleet Admirals, but whatever) have just as many Kill Accolades going as my KDF or Rom Captains (again, the rank thing... meh), but it'd be nice to have them feel a tad more like Starfleet, you know? Even if it was Gatar that set the terms so everyone could "win" rather than it occurring to Trox that the KDF command structure worked differently (I miss Picard doing clever diplomatic ploys like that, where both sides knew who the clever one was)... it's a neat idea that maybe we can have it feel more "Starfleet".

Then again, Trek did originate with Kirk-Fu and xenophilia... just imagine the negotiations had Trox been a Human!
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Wow, the Feddie seemed to be more trigger-happy than the Klingon, even if the shots weren't actually fired.

You fight, dear friends, and occupy each other, while we...

...I say no more...​​