test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Broken and kept "promises"

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Oh yeah, something that could be perceived as a "lie". They promised that our "T5 ships won't become obsolete". This was said before Delta Rising launched and T6 ships were released.

BULLCRAP!

What did they do? Re-released T6 versions of T5 ships we already had. The T6 versions in most cases are a lot better than the T5, with a starship trait to unlock, in some cases better boff seating, and having a hybrid specialization seat.

Here is an example: I bought the Exploration Cruiser T6 (Andromeda) when it was released. It made my Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit T5 look even more like TRIBBLE then. I wound up discharging my fleet Gal-R. When they did the Galaxy class reboot, players begged them to change the ensign engineering slot on the Gal-R to a universal, like how they changed the ensign tactical on the Gal-X (dreadnaught cruiser) to a universal, which of course most players use it for tactical anyway, as well as beg them to beef up the Gal-R a little bit. None of that happened and the Gal-R still remains a piece of TRIBBLE to this day. The Andromeda got the ensign universal station players had wanted for the Gal-R.

Edit: Hell, the whole reason why I think they increased the ship tier to 6 is for a few reasons:

1. They were running out of canon ship designs they can use
    2. They can only create so many original designs at a time, which isn't enough to meet demand for new ships
    3. A way to milk players for even more money. Instead of keeping the tier at 5 and letting us fully upgrade our already owned ships (starship trait, spec boff seat added), they decided to just resell us the same ships for even more money (3k zen for T6 compared to 2k-2500 zen for T5)
  • banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    1. Secondary deflectors on ALL science ships!

2. the sector space revanp was definately a massive Quality of Life upgrade.
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I do like the bridge officer training revamp. That was a great improvement. :)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    I have never read a dev promise anything. I have heard them discuss plans, and things they would like to do. Promises have nothing to do with that.
    "You also didn't read the OP either, since he never said anything about promise."

As others have already set you straight on, I was referring to the actual title of this thread.

@iceeaglex did you read the thread title?

"It's in " " so it doesn't count :) Mine and Nagus' don't have the " ". That's my story and i'm sticking to it."

Everybody watching? Here comes the fun part: sine you think that something being in quotation marks "doesn't count", then that means that both of your posts that I just quoted above, "don't count". Thanks for the laugh :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I have never read a dev promise anything. I have heard them discuss plans, and things they would like to do. Promises have nothing to do with that.
    "You also didn't read the OP either, since he never said anything about promise."

As others have already set you straight on, I was referring to the actual title of this thread.

Well you guys still aren't sharp enough to actually read the title with all the symbols... Maybe you wan't to read it again, and then try to figure out what the "'s are for.

A hint: They're commonly used for this..
    @iceeaglex did you read the thread title?

"It's in " " so it doesn't count :) Mine and Nagus' don't have the " ". That's my story and i'm sticking to it."

Everybody watching? Here comes the fun part: sine you think that something being in quotation marks "doesn't count", then that means that both of your posts that I just quoted above, "don't count". Thanks for the laugh :D

Right... bash someone for being right...

Thats just wrong and nuts at the same time.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    8. Actor voice overs ! (GET KESS [sic] PLEASE !)
    Now's not the time to be courting Jenifer Lien's business.

Not kidding, figure she could use the work, and we get an answer to what ultimately became of Kess.

I didn't mean NOW, when thing's are settled/resolved for her and she's in a "better place". I should have specified, sorry. :p

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    "featured episodes"

packing simple quests into your one and only new content for 30 mins every 1-2 months ---> fail
    edited September 2015
    anazonda wrote: »

Well you guys still aren't sharp enough to actually read the title with all the symbols... Maybe you wan't to read it again, and then try to figure out what the "'s are for.

No, I saw them. But here is the question: if you didn't mean "promise", why did you use that specific word? Why didn't you just say "plans"? And why did you use the word "broken", since that only goes with "promise"? Again, why did you use that specific word if you didn't mean it?

And FYI, I'm not opposed to criticizing the devs or the game; I have done it myself many times over the years. But I am opposed to bad arguments, and calling things "promises" that never were, is a bad argument.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    1. Nothing.

2. A truly genius crafting system, despite the people complaining about the cost. Any gear you can think of can be upgraded to top level epic quality. This is a game changer because no mmo has ever done this before. Every other mmo forces a player to grind for new gear with every new expansion that obsoletes their epic gear from the previous expansion.

You are overselling it a bit. What you say is technically true, but STOs item surplus is so generic it makes no difference if you upgrade your trusty mk II phaser to epic, all weapons or items are basically the same. Compare that to some MMO where you have a really lucky find of some nice weapon with random mods in some dark dungeon that precisely fits your style of play and not only shuffles fixed modifiers around.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Every other mmo forces a player to grind for new gear with every new expansion that obsoletes their epic gear from the previous expansion.
    That's actually not a bad thing because it's how power creep gets reset. Of course, part of me is glad STO in its current state doesn't do force our older items into obsolescence because, unlike games such as World of W*rcraft, STO just doesn't put out enough new content fast enough. Had they done this during DR, literally everyone would be using either the delta set or, later, the iconian set because that's all we'd have.

Now that the upgrade system is in place, they're pretty much stuck with this model because upgrading is an expensive process--either through real money or time spent grinding. Yanking that away during the next level cap increase by saying, "Sorry, you can't upgrade past Mk XIV" would probably send people into a rage.

And so, power creep will continue because it's become a lot harder to force us away from older items, and yet, they need to somehow make these new items appealing enough to pursue.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    [/snip]
    ... u mean like d'stahl never promised full kdf from level 1 on (while in the end he kept it)? well, where u may not have read "promises" when they said something (i'm kinda sure on every possible occasion that particular word was avoided), there has been "promises", not too less. and in this particualr case (kdf) i'm so pretty sure he did promise (without "'s ^^) full campaign from 1 on. again: and kept that particular promise.
    someone may dig that podcast/blog/interview/ask cryptic/whatever, i won't. not because i refuse to back up my point, but because i really don't care that much to invest much time in it at all lol. i'm done with that "promise" discussion now, even/also if i might be wrong myself lulz (possibility not excluded, as i not recall all the questions and single words in the "whatevers" from 3 lines above lmao).
    see what i did there?

but it's ok. go on playin' devils advocate on a imho lost and senseless case while having fun counting some more coins/peas ;)...

There are 2 reasons people "snip"(completely remove all words from) a post they are quoting. One is that it is extremely long, and they don't want to take up all the space. The other is because they know they are wrong and don't want people comparing their comments with what they are replying to. My post was pretty short, so we know it wasn't the first one :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    There are 2 reasons people "snip"(completely remove all words from) a post they are quoting. One is that it is extremely long, and they don't want to take up all the space. The other is because they know they are wrong and don't want people comparing their comments with what they are replying to. My post was pretty short, so we know it wasn't the first one :D

no refelction, no discussion, no quote at all lmao, just more peas... so low :D... i snipped cause of the boring quoting-system that ends up in a wot, but i want the one i refer to in particular knows so. as i dislike that feature i don't use it when quoting such text-monsters. but i assume u know everything, even about my intents. just low rofl...

so now again: d'stahl? kdf campaign?
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Well then. This thread is not gonna end well.

C'mon guys.
    6tviTDx.png

wast33 wrote: »
    so now again: d'stahl? kdf campaign?

Yes? Do you have some quote you want to offer up as proof that some "promise" was made, as opposed to a plan or goal?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    what a wonderful way to start le international peace day: https://google.com/search?q=peace+day&ie=&oe=.

Nagus c'mon brah, just just let it go... :)
    6tviTDx.png

what a wonderful way to start le international peace day: https://google.com/search?q=peace+day&ie=&oe=.

Nagus c'mon brah, just just let it go... :)

Let what go? I'm having a casual conversation on a video game message board. Do you think someone is upset about something?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    They promised a Tier 7 ship, never happened, oh TRIBBLE, sorry I was just dreaming.... ;)
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I personally hate gear wipes. It's what made me drop Wow.
    I put a lot of effort into getting a nicely geared character, yet then I have to start over each year.

STO's model of slowly adding better gear is superior, because my original gear doesn't become useless.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Mannheim device. We bitched and moaned since day one, then one of the devs makes an off the cuff comment and now I'm using it every chance I get.

Edit: it does spawn science vessels when used in a destroyer but I'm not going to complain too loudly about two free stacks of sensor analysis!
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • leyvinleyvin Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    And FYI, I'm not opposed to criticizing the devs or the game; I have done it myself many times over the years. But I am opposed to bad arguments, and calling things "promises" that never were, is a bad argument.

So how's playing as the Cardassians and Borg? What about playing Poker and other 'Crew / Fleet' Mini-Games?
    Still waiting for Ship Internals to be actually Customisable. Exploration Nebula to be Procedurally Generations "So you'll never play the same Mission twice" ... oh I remember distinctly what they promised about Exploration because it's what I was seriously amped about, even after the disasterous launch that had a fraction of what they were promising - some of those promises have since been dropped entirely because they "No longer fit with the direction the game has gone"

Or how about the infamous "We will never charge for anything other than Cosmetic Items", they broke that damn promise within the first expansion / season / whatever you prefer to call it.

Look I'm not going to crawl up their TRIBBLE to pull out the blackened husk that is the heart of whichever group of individuals are actually calling the shots over at Cryptic... nor am I saying that most of these broken promises are the fault of the actual development team. Still to say they've "Never Promised anything" is bollocks mate, sure in recent years they've started to use language like "We hope to..." and "Our aim is to try to..." - but that doesn't negate what they said in the past that simply hasn't happened or has been placed on the backburner so long I wonder if anyone remembers if it's even there.

There are aspects of the game that I have been pleasantly surprised at over the years, where they've added cool features and functions. Still at the same time, there isn't anything they've done that I believe has ever truly lived up to the promise it holds.

They constantly "Play it Safe", introducing a vertical slice of what they could do if they ever fleshed out a given system properly. Yet as of yet they've yet to really commit to making anything amazing, where rather than taking the time to really think something through; really design it to be amazing and within the tone... they just keep throwing an ever increase amount of noise hoping that we'll find something that keeps our interest until the next Season release.

What the game has lacked from the very start is a cohesive game, that solid foundation that they promised from the very beginning they're working towards that seems to have been left by the wayside for just increasing numbers of activities.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think there has to be a general distinction between "broken promises" and "unfulfilled expectations". I mean, after all, this is the reason the devs have stopped communicating with the community. Whenever they talked about something that "would be nice" it was taken for a definite "promise" and resulted in a hail of rage afterwards.

I'm not saying there are no broken promises, there are quite a few. But not everything I read in this thread qualifies as one.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I mean, after all, this is the reason the devs have stopped communicating with the community.

Regardless for what reason it occured, this is not, and will never be, a normal / clever thing. I've played DCUO / GW1 / GW2 / TSW / Aion / TESO for months or even years (plus a bunch of other MMOs for a few weeks), and i've never seen such lack of communication, disregard and even hostility towards the community. Never. I'm not going to say that all devs / cryptic personnel are like that (Trendy, Taco and some other ones are obviously not), but there are among them some very toxic elements for Cryptic's brand image.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
    edited September 2015
    leyvin wrote: »
    Look I'm not going to crawl up their TRIBBLE to pull out the blackened husk that is the heart of whichever group of individuals are actually calling the shots over at Cryptic... nor am I saying that most of these broken promises are the fault of the actual development team. Still to say they've "Never Promised anything" is bollocks mate

So, can you give just 1 SINGLE quote of something the devs said that is presented or stated as a promise, NOT a plan or goal? I have personally never read any such statement, that I can recall. But since you are so certain you have, then surely you can provide just 1 single quote. Again, presented as a promise, NOT a plan or goal.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I mean, after all, this is the reason the devs have stopped communicating with the community.

Regardless for what reason it occured, this is not, and will never be, a normal / clever thing. I've played DCUO / GW1 / GW2 / TSW / Aion / TESO for months or even years (plus a bunch of other MMOs for a few weeks), and i've never seen such lack of communication, disregard and even hostility towards the community. Never. I'm not going to say that all devs / cryptic personnel are like that (Trendy, Taco and some other ones are obviously not), but there are among them some very toxic elements for Cryptic's brand image.

No, it's not a normal/clever thing. This shouldn't happen, but it has. And it's mostly because the player base at this forum tends to be hostile towards them. Many players, as you've seen with @leyvin above, tend to hold a "never forgive, never forget" mentality with Cryptic. And with this being a Star Trek-related game, the mentality grows even worse. I mean, let's take the Embassy console kerfluffle (I was going to use the Iconian War, but this one was a little worse). They changed the code so that the console no longer Crit with Beam: Fire At Will and nerfed it a bit, with Borticus claiming that they really didn't have time to go back and fix it right now and confused as to why they weren't in the TRIBBLE notes. All of a sudden, there were posts calling them incompetent and demands for compensation.

And this isn't counting everything that's gone on since the early days and gotten worse with Delta Rising. I've only played DCUO, but never went on their forums, but I don't know if there's such a level of hostility towards the developers there that the developers decide that hanging out in a Reddit subforum is probably a much more safer (and saner) option than hanging out here.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Great thread OP!

1) I was a little disappointed that the Klingon appearance revamp stalled out when it did. They did some nice work with the footwear, but seemed to have stopped before introducing the Dk'tagh, which I was waiting for.

2) The sector space revamp is great! It really adds to the immersion for me.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I've only played DCUO, but never went on their forums, but I don't know if there's such a level of hostility towards the developers there that the developers decide that hanging out in a Reddit subforum is probably a much more safer (and saner) option than hanging out here.

There is hostility towards DCUO's devs, like there is hostility displayed by a fraction of the population of each MMO on the market. But generally, DCUO's players are respectful towards the devs, because almost each dev is talking to the players on the forum everyday, because they say what they have to say but do not insult players (nothing like "Pvp players are 13-years old kids, so pvp is not worth our attention"), because when they ask their input (or when they receive bug reports) they take them into account, because when there is a problem with the server the CM or one of the lead devs pops up and explains / apologizes for the problem immediatly (you don't have to go to other Daybreak forums to find the info), and so on.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Funny how certain people always seem to enjoy to de-rail threats because they can't read and intrepid
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
This discussion has been closed.