test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Broken and kept "promises"

Just a little conversation I just wanted to get rolling...

The idea is: Find two things about STO.

1: Something where the dev's said "we are going to do this", but it never happend... It has to be something YOU were looking forward to.

2: Something where the devs put something in, planned or not, that you think has made the experience more enjoyable.

Now... you can't post one without the other, but you can discuss individual parts others have posted.

1:Me personally, I was looking forward to Getting Terradome back... I found, while somewhat dissapointed by them, that the re-vamped STF's were ok, so when they said that they expected Terradome to be back in some form, I was quite looking forward to it...

Sadly, it never happend.

2: While I did not expect the sector space re-vamp would be that big a deal, I was very positively surprised. The game somehow feels more complete, and nothing is more exciting than flying around, and then suddenly finding the abandoned ship or the unknown comet, getting RnD resources in the process...
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas

Comments

• tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    1. Certainly when they said after removing NWS that they are going to bring it back soon. Who the hell removes something before new version is even ready?

2. I really love new BOFF training system. No more painful visits to BOFF trainer or asking someone to train your BOFFs when you wanted to test new abilities.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    1. The Ability to command a task force of other starships captained by our bridge officers.
    2. The specialization system.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    1. When they said they'd bring T5 ships to T6 capabilities using paid upgrades. That was at the VERY least a partial lie, here's the checklist of what I consider "T6 capabilities":

- Mastery levels (T5U is partial, lacking the trait unlock, not a big deal though)

- Scaling HP (true)

- extra console (true)

- additional BOFF power (not true)

- specialization seating (not true)

So that is only half-way true, but I still consider it a lie.

2. Featured Episodes with weekly rewards, revamps of old episodes, much better gear rewards for newer episodes, fixes of bugs that annoy me.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    Back when they changed the emergency power to X mechanics and we had Borg Spheres speeding all over the place. It may have been unintended but I think it should have been kept like that. It was refreshing to need to think about crowd control, and to actually have a use for tractor beams.

Then they had to go and 'fix' it.​​
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    1: a whole wall of pvp improvements!

2: switching gear more easily between ships (while i not like the loadoutsystem in whole. imo it not should be possible to switch while being in a pve/pvp instance).
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Point 1.
    - Nerfing pets/separation units across the board because they simply had too much accidental hull HP with DR changes, then boosting fighters/frigates with lockbox consoles and starship traits. They said it was hull HP that was the issue, yet they nerfed them in all ways, only to boost them some later (monetized by removing what we already had and paid for before - elite pets).
    - Patch notes claim to fix the console activation lag/failure, only for it to still be as bad as day 1 of when I first started playing pre-DR, and then ignore it afterwards. Aggravates every second of gameplay while in combat, ground or space. This is such a horrendous long-standing issue that glossing over it is unacceptable.
    - Plasma Boosting Embassy Console Nerf, which a Dev specifically said is working as intended, omitting the nerf in the patch notes, and letting the upgrade event run until after and only then announcing they were 'mistakenly' left out and that they're 'investigating.' This is after months of waiting on those consoles to see if they were going to be nerfed, or if truly working as intended. I'm not going to be taken for a fool again.
    - The Tier 5 Starship Upgrade which was going to make T5 ships "competitive" only to re-release the same versions of T5 ships, thus making them obsolete. For example: my T5U Fleet Avenger is a waste of ship slot space as it sits next to the Fleet Arbiter, and is essentially a skin that lowers the nacelles and therefore a very tiny skin that can be used on the fleet Arbiter that is certainly not worth the 2500 zen + 1 FSM + Fleet Shipyard + Fleet Shipyard Provision. Lower tier ships with proper gear and flying are "competitive," so why not just say up front "the upgrade is a temporary boost while we make you pay 3000+ zen for the ships you already own that may or may not have a console/console set bonus to even port over that may or may never be released but will certainly be overshadowed by something much better."
    - Fixing OP Abilities after using them as selling features. When they are designed, the coders put in those numbers and see the results. I don't take issue with trying to make this game balanced (an entirely abstract concept at this point) but more often than not I see OP abilities sold, only 3 or 6 months down the line saying they were 'discovered' to be OP and needed to be addressed. Assault Rifles, embassy consoles, surgical strike, etc.
    - Releasing broken content. Arbiter's trait apparently wasn't working (I didn't have time to test it), MVAE separation console forcing ship to stop to separate for the longest time
    - Exclusive Event Ships. Saying you still have chance to finish the Risa ships if they are slotted from last year without notification prior to the end of 2014 Risa event while providing an event reputation system designed to last between seasons is poor communication. The very reason we were all given event ships account-wide unlock for those we already have was because we took the time to give feedback on why this was very poorly handled. Feedback regarding the failure for 'immediate access account wide for any event ships already owned' also served to fix this issue on characters that did not unlock an event store.

Point 2.
    Bug Fixes, Performance and Stability Enhancements. Attention given to any of these are always welcome, whether they end up working or not. A generic point, but without these there'd be no game to play.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just to expand on the point brought up above on Featured Episodes - the free upgrades to Mk XII. Great feature for low level characters to keep/use items through the levelling process. A sure win there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mistermayhemmermistermayhemmer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    1. 'New hair tech'.
    2. The new (to me) BOFF training system.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Let's see, Off the top of my head:

Promised, but not realized yet:
    1. PVP improvements, No I'm not really a PVPer, no way hardcore. I have A LOT to learn, BUT I do enjoy the occasional one on one with friends.
    2. Exploration. Let's see how season 11 works out.
    3. Captain's table revamp. I believe it was promised that they were going to make it somewhere you would WANT to go.
    4. More playable species/factions. (not sure if this was actually promised, or just hinted that it was a possibility. )
    5. A true and decent ship upgrade system. and a T6 version for some fan favorite ships, (The Titan, the Nova, the Vesta)
    6. Console activation lag, SERVER INSTABILITY is YOUR business and responsibility. You have to find ways to improve security and stability. I know, I'm talking out of my TRIBBLE here, but It's how I feel.

What was given that turned out great:
    1. sector space revamp
    2. Boff training system is REALLY great, I mean REALLY great, so much of an improvement over the old system !
    3. The Dauntless - Love it !
    4. Ship visual upgrades, Intrepid, Galaxy, Akira... (please upgrade the Titan with a T6 upgrade :wink: )
    5. The Scimitar - Love it !
    6. The Anorax Science Dreadnought - Beautiful ship, LOVE IT
    7. Episodic stories !
    8. Actor voice overs ! (GET KESS PLEASE !)
    9. IN GAME MEMORIALS !

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    8. Actor voice overs ! (GET KESS [sic] PLEASE !)

You're kidding, right? Now's not the time to be courting Jenifer Lien's business.

But, as for the point of the thread...

I wasn't personally burned by the T-5U not being truly comparable to T6, but the (almost immediate) release of T6 'updates' made it pretty clear that there was an appreciable (and salable) difference.

Flip side? New BOff training system, sector space revamp (I'm less enamored of the visuals than most, but the lack of loading screens has about halved my non-transwarp travel time), and what feel like honest efforts to make each mission a unique and well-crafted piece of gameplay (both in terms of new episodes and revamps of the old).
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I have never read a dev promise anything. I have heard them discuss plans, and things they would like to do. Promises have nothing to do with that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I have never read a dev promise anything. I have heard them discuss plans, and things they would like to do. Promises have nothing to do with that.
    QFT, the most committal they ever get is "We're planning to do X." Unless they're ready to release something...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User

True. Plans are always subject to change. They may still have plans to follow through with stuff they said they'd like to do but haven't gotten around to it yet.

But we have been burned on multiple occasions.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User

To the players like we're seeing here, seeing a Dev say "Oh, we have plans for this" or "We want to work on X" is a signed notary from the entire Cryptic team, past, present and future that they absolutely, positively will work on this plan right this very moment and it will be available right away with no bugs present.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    True. Plans are always subject to change. They may still have plans to follow through with stuff they said they'd like to do but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Explain please how you think you've been "burned".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

I was cooking some hot wings yesterday and got burned just a little by some of the grease. It was worth it though.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    well.... pretty convenient that most sources from former times are invalid now... i just took a quick look, still some sources are there, but things like relinks make it hard to read through them without any further effort (nope, won't listen to a ton of podcasts lol).
    i'm pretty sure that at least pvp-wise ol'stahl did "promises", like in "definetly coming/just a question of time/defnitely wanna do this/that" and so on.
    but sure, they're marketing pro's who always find the right terminology, aye? like in "t6 capapbilities" to push the last t5-bug-round and so on, right?... (no matter the terminology, what they did there is more than bold)
    as a player i couldn't come to think if something is mentioned in a blog or by a lead-dev in such way it's scheduled/planned/worked on big time, true....
    oh yeah, sto :D.... but new players need some time to get it, just as some older never seem to get it lol.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    1. Nothing

2. The forums, Delta Rising, R&D, armada system.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    1) I can't think of any broken promises because they really haven't broken any. As someone else said, devs have to be careful about what they say because saying even the most casual of things can and will be taken as some sort of sacred oath, signed in blood and sworn over the life of a first-born child.

2) List of things over the years that I think have made this game fantastic:

- "Mk Infinity" items that scale with a player's level prior to 50. Pity this system seems to have been deprecated, because from a gameplay perspective, it feels a lot cleaner than the current system of certain special items upgrading for free up until mk xii. (I do appreciate that too, by the way.

- The upgrade system, to a degree. While I'm not fond of the RNG for rarity upgrades or the fact that it makes things harder for the devs in terms of managing power creep, it's still nice to be able to take your favorite oldschool items and keep them current. One of my boffs runs around with a purple mk xiv federation type 1 phaser, just for kicks.

- Episode and story arc revamps and updates. I have nothing but respect for devs who do this, as it means they care about the game as a whole, and not about just spewing out new content until the game runs its course.

- Tailor improvements. Not sure how many have noticed, but the tailor is a lot more flexible than it was a year or so ago. I think it still has a ways to go, but things like off-duty now offer quite a bit of appealing options compared to being nearly useless like it was before.

- The tailoring system in general. No other game I play lets me change my entire character's appearance, right down to height, butt size, face, skin color, etc when I decide I want a whole new look.

- New story arcs. Even if they only contain a few episodes, like the dyson arc, they make that particular expansion feel a lot more memorable, as it becomes a permanent part of the game's history. I just wish they'd clean the non-missions (patrol and dyson area tutorial breadcrumbs, etc) out of the story arc lists.

- Little things involving the various people who played a part in star trek, such as actor voiceovers, memorials for trek actors who have passed away, etc.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    - At the time the new Fed tutorial got released, we got a new Fed bridge, and got told they'd revamp the Fed interiors, to look like the new interiors shown in the tutorial. This never happened.

- Giving the Ambassador retrofit to Fed Romulans was epic. Really helped me out even if it's still not as good as a T5U or T6. Now, Fed Romulan D'Kyr please? ;3
    - The more frequent storyarcs. It's really nice to get the story advanced relatively quickly. I remembered how it was when I joined the game. We got like one episode every 2-3 months.
  • iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    You also didn't read the OP either, since he never said anything about promise.
    So you're probably not the best person to trust about what the devs have or have not said.....

1.So this isn't exactly what OP said, but i figure Grandnagus will probably break down if he can't be a white knight about something in this thread.
    Cryptic took our traits away, traits we had earned by playing the game, they limited how many we could have (because of balance reasons, more than 5 is too OP).
    Now they are SELLING them back to us, for dilithium. Selling us our own traits back to us, that we had, that they took away.

2. R&D materials in a separate tab. Really good idea.
    Armada system, out of nowhere and is pretty cool.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015
    @iceeaglex did you read the thread title?

As for my response to anazondas discussion.

1. - - - still thinking

2. ESD revamp. That was nice
    6tviTDx.png

• iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    @iceeaglex did you read the thread title?

As for my response to anazondas discussion.

1. - - - still thinking

2. ESD revamp. That was nice

It's in " " so it doesn't count :) Mine and Nagus' don't have the " ". That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    Promised PvP revamp..season 3 (or so..)
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Oooh yes, that's a good one @dalnar83
    6tviTDx.png

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    1. Elite Borg STF
    2. Boff power training
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    NWS!!! most enjoyable STF in the game in where you as a player could set new ways on how to complete it..

Like the ISA is to calculate your DPS 90% would't care about the dil or marks
    NWS was about skill and teamwork! I realy couldn't care less about the rewards. it was really really enjoyable trying to complete this with a 5 man team and upp the difficulty by completing it with even less players.. 4, 3, 2 .... shame it 's gone.

Love the galaxy map now with no borders except for the quadrants.
    also the boff change on their skills is a great improvement aswell.
    tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

I meant burned as in, screwed over, not that they lied to us.

And I mean royally screwed over, again and again.

When season 7 launched we got the reputation system. The equipment you got from doing STFs was placed into the new omega reputation and cost dilithium to acquire. At the same time they REDUCED the amount of dilithium that STFs rewarded. Normal went from 480 dil to 360 dil, elite went from 960 dil to 480 dil. Players complained but it was never increased back to what it was.

Then Delta Rising hit and dil rewards for various PvE queues were reduced AGAIN. Normal mode went from 360 to 240, elite was renamed to advanced and the dil went from 480 to 360, and the new elite mode awarded 480. By this time we had several reputations, multiple fleet holdings, and the new upgrade system - so many damn dil sinks and they nerfed the amount of dil we could get. It wasn't until months after Delta Rising launched (some time after May I think) they increased the dil rewards, for normal and elite modes while advanced stayed at 360. *Note: the numbers may be off a bit, but the fact remains: dil rewards for PvE queues were nerfed with season 7 and again with DR.

And there was this after Delta Rising http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1172928/skill-point-update/p1
    The fix for this is that we will be updating the skill point rewards throughout the game so that they will at least maintain the values seen at earlier levels, or in the case of critter kills increase in skill point rewards as you increase in player level. In order to maintain the desired rate of progression we spent a lot of time fine tuning while developing Delta Rising the required amount of skill points for each player level will also go up.

While there are a lot of numbers changing, we have taken extra care to make sure that the speed at which players level up will remain the same as it is now.
    Translation: they increased the amount of skill points earned while increasing the amount needed to level up, so we take the same amount of time to level up. WTF was even the point of this? If it takes the same amount of time to level up before and after the change, then why bother changing it in the first place?

Back in May http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1187766/release-notes-may-7th-2015
    Resolved an issue that was causing all assignments with durations between 12 hours and 15.9 hours to scale their rewards more aggressively than intended.

The Skillpoint, Expertise, and CXP bonuses from these Assignments will be reduced accordingly.
    For some reason they suddenly decided that some doff assignments were awarding too much and nerfed them. What did we get in exchange later? Items in the Year of Hell lock box that gives you a 'Temporal Research Assignment' which awards a good amount of skill points/expertise. So the nerfed exp from doff assignments wound up behind a paywall.

System patrols: dil rewards being made standard, meaning, all patrols reward the same amount instead of patrols that take longer being more rewarding. Also the 30 minute cooldown on patrols that was added, forcing players to have to do different patrols instead of only the one they liked. Effectively, a nerf.

Embassy plasma-generating consoles: a good while back it was said by a dev that they were "working as intended". Then suddenly players found out on the test server they were nerfed and it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. A dev responded and gave a lame excuse: "I don't know why it wasn't in the patch notes, but I'll have it added", "it wasn't working as intended after all", and "we don't have time to fix it correctly and don't know when we will be able to". And this all happened right after an upgrade bonus weekend, thus burning players who upgraded those consoles only to find a few days later they were nerfed hard.
    NWS!!! most enjoyable STF in the game in where you as a player could set new ways on how to complete it..

Like the ISA is to calculate your DPS 90% would't care about the dil or marks
    NWS was about skill and teamwork! I realy couldn't care less about the rewards. it was really really enjoyable trying to complete this with a 5 man team and upp the difficulty by completing it with even less players.. 4, 3, 2 .... shame it 's gone.

Love the galaxy map now with no borders except for the quadrants.
    also the boff change on their skills is a great improvement aswell.

The problem with no-win scenario is that players were actually able to win it when it wasn't meant to be won.

That is why they removed it. They said they'll bring it back some day once they figure out how to do it.

But with all the friggen power creep and players pushing for high DPS, I don't see it returning any time soon. The only way they can make it work is to make it so you can't even get past the first wave of enemies. Otherwise players will just blow through everything like a hot knife through butter again.
This discussion has been closed.