test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you enjoy more? Space or ground? would you have started playing if only one was available?

2»

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    I prefer space combat. But I would likely got have gotten into the game had ground combat not existed.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    As I have said elsewhere, I think ground suffers from:

Dated animations.
    Arbitrary death.
    Frustrating ability delays.
    Overly exotic settings, not enough starship interior action.

That said, I do enjoy it.

Space suffers from:

HP bloat.
    Overreliance on cooldown management mechanics.
    Abilities which really should be toggles/automated.
    Quality animations but way too many of them; I would gladly turn them all off to get clean visuals of ships firing weapons and maneuvering. (One big exception: I hate skis that linger whenever I do the warpout animation.)
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Originally it was to fly space ship's, but the game has gotten so full of glut that I'm finding ground a little more enjoyable now. Which is kind of sad considering how shallow and clunky ground combat is in this game.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Space combat is the primary reason why I enjoy STO
    Space combat is still missing that certain something...
    Ground combat isn't bad but I could see positives from enabling a true FP view, I'm not a fan of the "over the shoulder" view.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • rogueaegianrogueaegian Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I like them both but if I had to choose only one it would definitely be space. I'm a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars but I've always hated the Star Wars MMOs because I feel they focus too much on ground action at the expense of spaceside fun.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I used to absolutely HATE ground combat until I learned how to do it. Once I got the hang of it, started using BoFFs with good traits and actually setting up their abilities instead of just using what they had by default I started to enjoy it a lot more.

I still prefer Space to Ground, but not by the overwhelming margin that it used to be.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Ground combat is the primary reason why I enjoy STO
    Space: F@W everything forever. Pay ludicrous amounts of Zen & EC for new Z-Store & lockbox ships! Bind everything to spacebar, fly in circles quickly, and try not to fall asleep at the helm. Thinking about a single target build? GTF0 N00B

Ground: Think about how to dps in single-target & multi-target situations instead of F@W everything forever. Don't pay ludicrous amounts of Zen & EC. Don't bind everything to spacebar, don't stand in fire, and try not to die.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I prefer space combat ,but that doesn't neccessarily mean that Cryptic shouldn't spend some more development resources on ground combat. For example, if they make it more attractive to me, it would be dev time well spent, I think.

Though to be honest, I feel that the ground combat system just isn't very Trek. Shields might logically make sense, but it's not canon. Ground combat should be more cover-based (though logically, this never made sense in Trek either, if you got weapons that can vaporize people, what typical materials could provide useful cover? But it would at least look Trek).

If something were to be added, I think I'd like to see more martial arts features available to everyone. Maybe in an expansion of the Commando Spec? Though for that to be really cool, NPCs would also need to resort more to melee combat when engaged up close.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Space for me, I don't like the ground combat at all. Recently played Fallout, after a long break, I had forgotten how much fun it is to sneak around and oneshot everything in the head.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This really needs a "both/don't care" option. I enjoy both equally, and would've probably started playing/kept with this game whether one was absent or not. Space combat is a fairly unique element in MMOs, but at the same time, I didn't spend all that time customizing my character and bridge officers, just to have them sit in a ship the whole time.

The game definitely thrives by having both elements.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    The game would be very boring without the other from a story stand point.
    21ajpqt.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I've actually drifted to ground combat over the years. STO needs both to function (neither is can hold up their own video game without the other) but in what does more for setting and plot ground combat definitely pulls the weight of the game.

Space is fun, but space is also filler between the important bits. Which is best (apart from the mechanical considerations of how you like each set of actions) probably just depends on what aspect of this video game you happen to be most interested in.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Ground is a must. Space is nice to have.

Agreed marine!
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I wouldn't have even looked at STO if it didn't have ship combat. (I actually didn't even know ground existed here and was unpleasantly surprised when I found out I'd have to play some ground. Thankfully I managed and stayed.)

EDIT: Maybe a clarification, it wasn't necessarily space combat that made me notice STO, it was the simple fact of captaining a ship from Star Trek. I'm kinda obsessed with ships in that way.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    i like space combat , the ground is sometimes fun in missions , but as a 3d shoter is not viable. I couldn't imagine Star Trek w/o ships beacause ... Star Trek. Star Wars ... yes is possible bacause ... Sith lords , and those junkies called jedi.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Poll is missing Economic Combat.

This reminds me of the old saying: The problem with ground is that it's ground.
    /channel_join grind
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Voted ground. Liked space too in equal part, but after the horrible Delta Raising expansion, space is allmost dead to me. The whole DPS stupidity got ahold of it. Cant even enjoy, or you can but you are severely punished and left out of adv and elite content, a good ship/build that you were having fun, even if you were ranking up clicky/set consoles like the scimitar thalaron set and stuff like that.
    Unfortunelly, ground started to be affected but the DPS plague. It didnt spread to much, but its there :(
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    both, i need both. i like space (and even more since the sector space revamp), and i like ground because i can play with my boffs. btw, thx to all the creators of missions for the foundry.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    i wouldn't stop, but i would stop if there were no ground. as i was sick, and to the point still am of space. now what i need is a good pvp module, and i will be completely happy. and it is a fifth year that i am playing STO.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    I actually like them equally. :p
    But yes I would've started playing regardless of if there was only one or the other.
    Reflects my views perfectly. Star Trek was always about both space and ground events.

Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • divvydavedivvydave Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Space combat is what i play usually, i don't dislike ground per say but space is more fun imo.

Would i play if it was ground combat only? most likely Yes, and who knows if it was ground only the devs may have been able to make it more trek by having branching dialog to solve mysterys/puzzles, or improving diplomacy with other systems for example, and not having so much pew pew :)

Edited for spelling/grammar