What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why STO will never be a top Tier MMO.

1.) Server crashing
2,) Main line story mission bugs
3.) STF bugs
4.) More Bugs
5.) Poor customer service

The funny part is all the *debatable choices that Cryptic has made don't even make the top 10 let alone the top 5 for the reasons why this game has less than 150,000 players. The main reason is because it seems more and more Cryptic does not care about even keep the game running correctly.

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    dude...

before this gets locked and you get warned... it's a DDOS attack on the server. As for the bugs, it happens because there's two sets of codes... from the developers who built this game and the ones who run it.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    STO will NEVER be a top tier MMO- Because you said so?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    all hail dark4blood! he is lord and knows all! his word is law!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    you forgot one.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    You might as well leave then I guess. Can I haz ur stuffs?
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Someone can't log in and decides to wildly speculate on the game's disposition. Nothing to see here. Move along.
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    It will never be a top tier MMO, but no other MMO will ever be Star Trek. *drops mic*
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    So every MMORPG has to be top tier to be successful huh. Kind of jaded if you think about it.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    dark4blood wrote: »
    1.) Server crashing
    3.) STF bugs
    4.) More Bugs

The funny part is all the *debatable choices that Cryptic has made don't even make the top 10 let alone the top 5 for the reasons why this game has less than 150,000 players. The main reason is because it seems more and more Cryptic does not care about even keep the game running correctly.

Then quit playing and leave.

Seriously, no one cares about your opinion of what is and what isn't 'top tier.'

Get over yourself.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    shazia9191 wrote: »

We could say the same for your opinion. This thread didn't need your response, but you chimed in anyway with a fairly hostile post. I'm glad you think we need to hear your inane insults.

Moving on!

Haha.. a dental troll tries to play forum cop..

Pot.. Kettle.. Black.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    The servers have had DDoS attacks on and off for the last few days. From what we gather it was aimed at Neverwinter. Since STO is on the same server, when Neverwinter goes down so do we.

Our community manager got a bug squashing program started and we now have 'Bug Hunter' volunteers that get info, test, and pass on info to the devs to get things fixed. Over the last few months they've been fixing lots and lots of bugs, even some that had been around for a rather long time.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    I'm not even sure what really qualifies as a top tier MMO these days, tbh. The genre and industry is very different today than what it resembled in its glory days, as I recall.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Why does it matter if its top tier or not? and which f2p games are part of this top 5? and how many MMO's exist today? MMORPG.com counts 859 games on their list and your worried about the top 5? Lets be realistic, f2p are rarely if ever counted in the top games. Those top 5 are basically just holding the spot till a newer game is released anyways. No need to worry or yell doom. There are korean mmo's from the early/mid 2000's still going strong. Grindfest games that make this game look like a lovely day in the park.
    edited September 2015
    deleroux wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what really qualifies as a top tier MMO these days, tbh. The genre and industry is very different today than what it resembled in its glory days, as I recall.

It's definitely subjective what makes an MMO 'top tier.'

I'll say this though, as far as Free To Play models go in MMO's, Star Trek Online is still by far the best I have ever seen and it's not even close. The amount of content you can experience in STO for free is amazing. You won't top the DPS charts without spending some money, but you can certainly get many hours of entertainment value without spending a dime.

STO is far from perfect, but it's the only MMO I have ever played that I didn't hate after 6-8 months.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User

I'll say this though, as far as Free To Play models go in MMO's, Star Trek Online is still by far the best I have ever seen and it's not even close. The amount of content you can experience in STO for free is amazing. You won't top the DPS charts without spending some money, but you can certainly get many hours of entertainment value without spending a dime.

STO is far from perfect, but it's the only MMO I have ever played that I didn't hate after 6-8 months.

That's just it, I'm not sure that's really all that unique, distinct, or special any more. Back in the day, that would have been exceptional, but these days, substantial, accessible entertainment from a F2P game (of all sorts of sizes, shapes, and genres, no less) isn't particularly uncommon.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    STO doesn't need to be a top tier MMO. It doesn't need to STRIVE to be a top tier MMO. STO is doing what it should be doing:

For better or for worse, it's a video game where players can boldly go where no man has gone before.

Starting next month.

That's just it, I'm not sure that's really all that unique, distinct, or special any more. Back in the day, that would have been exceptional, but these days, substantial, accessible entertainment from a F2P game (of all sorts of sizes, shapes, and genres, no less) isn't particularly uncommon.

Fair enough, I guess it's also subjective as to what 'exceptional' content means. It will vary from player to player of course.

In my opinion, STO is a fun game and gives a superior experience to other F2P games. Others will have different opinions, and I respect that.

Also as said above, it doesn't really need to be 'top tier' anyway. The game is going into it's 6th year, it's natural to think that other games have passed STO over that course of time. For me personally though, all I can tell you is that STO is the only MMO that I keep playing. I have taken breaks, but I always return to STO.

Every other time I have taken a 'break' in an MMO it's ended up being permanent.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    the reasons why this game has less than 150,000 players.

And your Source is ? Where's the link ?

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2015

1.) Server crashing
    3.) STF bugs
    4.) More Bugs

Hehe, that is lot of tears.
    I love the explanation that the studio don't love their game anymore and have abandoned it.

We are getting atleast one "big" update a month, from an episode to a season etc.
    WoW froze their updates for months, and it is still the largest MMO on the market, think Blizzard cares less about their MMO then Cryptic does of STO.

Star Trek Online is the 2nd biggest MMO on Cryptic
    Neverwinter is the number one. The one that they don't care about is Champions Online. That is a wounded animal. It bleeds money right now from what I have heard.

Star Trek Online path since launch has been very VERY hard
    We who have played from the beginning can remember how broken this game was at launch. We got that explained to us that when Cryptic got the licence, they had to release it within 1½ -2 years, if they didn't keep that deadline the licence would be lost. They acquired it from a studio that went bankrupt after been working on it for 2 years so 2 years developing time was lost right from the start. (Source; Video interview with Cryptic personal, do't remember the showcast crew, one of them went to work with Cryptic and plays the voice of Kurtland)

After that it was Klingon who was more broken then ever, a PVP faction instead of a PVE faction. I mean the first 2 years of the game was allabout polish the game itself. I would go on a limp and say that the game was "finished" in 2013, it was then the game started to run more smoothly. Since then it has been more joy of playing STO.
    Their F2P system is the best on the market, you can do much without spending a single nickle. Just look at Old Republic, worst F2P system EVER!

Main line story mission bugs
    Bugs will always be around, but I suppose they could do more QA before releasing their content.

Poor customer service
    Since when has anyone been happy over customer service?

Server crashing
    Not going to comment that over the obvious.

21ajpqt.png
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    It may not be top tier, but I can't say I care. I've never played a game this friendly to casual players such as me, nor one who was this generous towards f2p.

And if you ever find an MMO with a lot of bugs in main missions and a decent customer service let me know, must be rarer than griffin's teeth that.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ilithyn wrote: »
    It may not be top tier, but I can't say I care. I've never played a game this friendly to casual players such as me, nor one who was this generous towards f2p.

And if you ever find an MMO with a lot of bugs in main missions and a decent customer service let me know, must be rarer than griffin's teeth that.

World of Warcraft has had dungeon stopping bugs, the most famous of which was fixed in Cataclysm by the removal of the Dungeon.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Someone enlighten me, What is considered a Top Tier MMO ?
    World of Shitcraft ?
    Star TRIBBLE The Crappy Republic ?

I don't see those as better then STO. Or Top Tier in any way.

I believe STO punches above it's weight in every way. And by far has the best F2P model in the industry.
    Not sure what the budgets are for said games, but I'd make a wager that STO gets more done for less budget then any game you could mention.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I hear good things about Final Fantasy XIV.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    apulse wrote: »
    Star Trek Online is the 2nd biggest MMO on Cryptic
    Neverwinter is the number one. The one that they don't care about is Champions Online. That is a wounded animal. It bleeds money right now from what I have heard.
    From what I've heard, Champions is doing okay. It is profitable, but not much - for the low income it generates, they also only have a small dev team so it's also not costing them much to maintain. I could imagine that it might be a bit worse looking from an opportunity cost perspective - e.g. the same developers could be working on another title and yield a higher profit there. But maybe not.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited September 2015
    Someone enlighten me, What is considered a Top Tier MMO ?
    World of Shitcraft ?
    Star TRIBBLE The Crappy Republic ?

I don't see those as better then STO. Or Top Tier in any way.

I believe STO punches above it's weight in every way. And by far has the best F2P model in the industry.
    Not sure what the budgets are for said games, but I'd make a wager that STO gets more done for less budget then any game you could mention.

I totally agree. Even though I enjoyed SWTOR, the free model is beyond terrible. Same with WoW, not only did I not enjoy the game but it's also very very limited as far as what you can actually do for free. Neither of those games are free to play, they have 'free modes,' but they're extremely limited. STO has them both beat with ease.
    farshore wrote: »
    I hear good things about Final Fantasy XIV.

I have also heard good things, but like the above mentioned games.. this one isn't free either.

The only other MMO I can think of that has a F2P model on par with Star Trek Online is Rift.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    You've just described all MMOs with that list.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    There are no top tier MMOs besides WoW.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    There are no top tier MMOs besides WoW.

You should check the number of players / subscribers of games like Lineage II or Ragnarok Online...

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
This discussion has been closed.