test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tales of the War #22

To K’mpec, son of Rorg, and Ktala daughter of Mudj, I'm pleased to inform you that your son, B’ijik, died an honorable death in battle and will have a place in Sto'vo'kor.

Check out the latest Tales of the War piece here.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    im guessing this will be the final part to be told?
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Why am i laughing about this? I shouldn't be laughing about poor William...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Really liked this one, especially the ending :D

Any chance we will see these appear somewhere in the game itself? In a few months from now, they'll probably be somewhere past page 10 in the news section of the Forum, or, in other words, practically lost.

Perhaps add a memorial plaque at Starfleet and Klingon academy? There is one for those who died in the attack by the Breen.
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    May William's remains float through space in peace.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    very funny, thx. Kagran becomes really interesting.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    The path of Alliance isn't quite smooth it seems.

Also, the war is over, so the recriminations are setting in.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    i actually liked the first letter. I would like that if my son died a klingon said he died an honorable death. That coming from a klingon that really means something.
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    i actually liked the first letter. I would like that if my son died a klingon said he died an honorable death. That coming from a klingon that really means something.

Thought so myself, though Kagran should scrap the "Oh, your son made it to an escape pod alright, but tough luck: It malfunctioned so he was burned alive"-part.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    Funny, but Kagran displayed much more diplomacy and compassion in the last episode. Also, the Federation is composed of a number of different species, and I think some might disagree with the generalizations about the Federation. I think Paris's advice is more applicable to certain species: like humans from Earth.​​
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    Very pleased to see "Discuss in the forums" linked to the post again after some time of no such option in any Arc News post for STO.
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

I laughed at this bit:
    Kagran sighed loud and long, ending the sigh with a muttered utterance that sounded to Tom like “milk-drinkers.”
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Funny, but Kagran displayed much more diplomacy and compassion in the last episode. Also, the Federation is composed of a number of different species, and I think some might disagree with the generalizations about the Federation. I think Paris's advice is more applicable to certain species: like humans from Earth.
    I think it seems very fitting to many species in the Federation - Humans, Bajorans, Betazoids, Deltans, Tellarite, Benize... Maybe the Andorians would appreciate a Klingon-like death note more, but only maybe.

The species under the Federation clearly have very many shared ideals with humans - otherwise the Federation could probably never have formed.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Dang it Trendy, I should not be laughing at someone writing condolence letters. I know I'm going to hell for this and its your fault. Let that weigh on your conscious as I burn for eternity
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • robertc328robertc328 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    Dang it Trendy, I should not be laughing at someone writing condolence letters. I know I'm going to hell for this and its your fault. Let that weigh on your conscious as I burn for eternity

Yeah, I feel the same way...but it's still pretty funny. At least we can take comfort in the fact that they were just pixel people.
  • subzer0d1videsubzer0d1vide Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    My grandfather's name was William Johnson... Good end story.
    --

"The higher the fewer."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    My grandfather's name was William Johnson... Good end story.

Sorry about the escape pod bit how could we have known?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I'm pretty sure a human who has spent time among klingons and species with similar ideas of honor would understand kagran's letter.

Not so much their relatives if they haven't.

Humans are not cowards or "milk drinkers"
    (well some humans have been guilty of drinking milk but chocolate milk tastes so much better)

It's a major cultural misconception and mistake to think humans are cowards.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • rbe777rbe777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

Heck I laughed heartily at that last letter too. :)

I'll try my hand at a non-comedy one which a Klingon could've wrote ( note the, toned down for foreigners, exaggerations/lies/embellishments here and there that the Klingons are famous for when telling stories of battles ):

“To Fred and Mary Johnson. I am in the regret to inform you that your son, William, and the entire crew of the U.S.S. Surat performed, during the Battle of Iconia, the ultimate sacrifice a human peacekeeper can perform to serve his convictions, protect his people and assure that the women and children of this galaxy can live in peace. Because of his honorable conduct, cunning and undeniable bravery even in the face of death, he played his part in putting an end to the Iconian war once and for all. Sadly, we could not recover his remains, but I am certain that his soul will rest in peace among the honored dead knowing that his past shell floats among the stars, where his iron will brought him and where he felt he belonged."

How's that sound? :P
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Is Kagran even trying? Most humans who'd been around Klingons for long enough can generally make what at least looks like an honest attempt at a Klingon condolence(?) letter... Surely Kagran, Mr. Instant Iconian Sympathizer Just Add Iconians, can do the same for humans?

...But yeah, may Johnson's plasma-burnt remains float around in the middle of space in peace. :P
  • sollabesollabe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I really like these tales of war. This one made me laugh just because of Klingon inability to be sensitive to us "milk-drinkers". This has been a really great story arc on the whole.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    He died doing what he loved most, being vaporized by superheated plasma.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    robertc328 wrote: »
    galatt wrote: »

Yeah, I feel the same way...but it's still pretty funny. At least we can take comfort in the fact that they were just pixel people.

Although lets be honest; he didn't die in battle. He died because of poor escape pod maintenance. Kagran should at least include instructions on how to properly challenge the head of maintenance at the shipyard to a blood duel to insure their son's place in Sto’vo’kor.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The ending was funny. So I guess with the Iconian war canned, I guess Kagran will have to pack his bags too? Sad, I kinda liked the character. Shon, Koren and Jarok show up periodically. Would be nice if others like Kagran do as well, or even L'Miren. I want to see what those peaceful Iconians are doing. Maybe they could lend us a hand. Or the vengeful T'Ket still showing up now and then to fight the player with her troops. Haven't seen cmdr Eldex since the Vaudwaar war is over. I guess certain characters remain locked in their own story arc. Shouldn't be.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »
    He died doing what he loved most, being vaporized by superheated plasma.

Well, you know what they say, "Play with superheated plasma, you get vaporized."

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Brilliant! Absolutely so. Well done!

Couple notes:
    1) Thanks for linking to the forums again. That's been missing from a lot of recent News articles and without the Dev Tracker, it's hard enuf to care to visit the forums otherwise.

2) Please Cryptic, put all these Tales of War somewhere in-game. In the not-to-distant future, they will be lost to the Interwebs, swallowed-up in time. New players are going to play through the Iconian Story Arc, and without the context of these awesome Tales of War, they'll just be basic story missions with no weight. There won't be anything to give them the importance of wrapping-up 5yrs of game play/history.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    BTW Trendy, where did you get that picture of my ship blowing up during the final battle for the art in TotW #22? Are you stalking me in game?

;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • deffjurkedeffjurke Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Well, they didn't unite the ENTIRE galaxy, as we still have well over 70% of the galaxy left to explore. Why do people keep forgetting this?
  • diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
    That was we excellent.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Dear Family of the Red Shirt Fed/KDF/Rom,

Thank you for allowing your child to die so that I could win. Your child's death will be forgotten because, after all, your child was an NPC. Not to worry. I earned lots of Dilithium Ore, Fleet Marks, and Experience for me and my surviving crew. If you're lucky, his mirror version will drop by to say, "Hello," in the future. May you forget your loss by purchasing more Master Keys from the C-Store to help fund the next war effort.

With tons of enthusiasm for the next adventure without your child,

Delta Alliance

P.S. If you have any more children you wish to part with, sign them up for Season 11: New Dawn. I am certain we can use them for something. :lol:

P.P.S. And Sela says, "Hello."
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    rbe777 wrote: »
    “To Fred and Mary Johnson. I am in the regret to inform you that your son, William, and the entire crew of the U.S.S. Surat performed, during the Battle of Iconia, the ultimate sacrifice a human peacekeeper can perform to serve his convictions, protect his people and assure that the women and children of this galaxy can live in peace. Because of his honorable conduct, cunning and undeniable bravery even in the face of death, he played his part in putting an end to the Iconian war once and for all. Sadly, we could not recover his remains, but I am certain that his soul will rest in peace among the honored dead knowing that his past shell floats among the stars, where his iron will brought him and where he felt he belonged."

How's that sound? :P

Nice. "I regret..." rather than "I am in the regret", but this one shows understanding, and is a good blend of Klingon POV and Terran-friendly phraseology. Well done!

Regarding the Fed-generalizing of Paris's viewpoint, this letter WAS to human parents, so it makes sense.

I think the Andorians would appreciate the usual Klingonesque-honourable-glorious-warrior's-death bit.

Tellarites would just complain about ANYTHING, because you just can't satisfy those little jerks with anything.

Vulcans would understand (intellectually) this was coming from a Klingon and was meant well.

For the others, yeah, softening things up is probably the way to go. I'd love to see Kagran take a crack at a Borg or 8472 condolence letter.

"To Unimatrix 1. 6 of 12 was terminated by the species 13579 (or whatever the Heralds are called) while fulfilling his/her/its function. Message ends."

"To sdfjkhdsf. Oudvmnvs was strong. Not strong enough to actually survive the battle, but strong enough to kill a bunch of weak Heralds first. The weak perished, and that's what really matters, doesn't it."