test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek: Renegades is here

ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Ten Forward
So as the title says, Tim Russ' Star Trek: Renegades is finally here, and available to watch for free on Youtube. Having watched it, here's my initial review:

THE GOOD STUFF:
-The space battles and fighting scenes were really well done. I was genuinely excited whenever the Icarus wound up in a fight.
-Admiral Chekhov is the best character ever. It was nice to see a Starfleet admiral who was willing to bend the rules as much as he did, and was able to see the bigger picture beyond petty Federation bureaucracy.
-The Syphon were an interesting race, and Borada & co. were compelling bad guys.
-It was actually really awesome seeing a crew that had a diverse range of species, instead of just "five humans and maybe an alien." I really liked Shree and Prak in particular.
-The plot was....serviceable. Obviously, there were holes everywhere, but I was able to suspend my belief enough for it to hold together all the way through.

THE BAD STUFF:
-I simply couldn't stand Lexxa. She was an insufferable Mary Sue, from start to finish, and it didn't help that I found her actress to be extremely annoying.
-A lot of the dialogue was utterly horrible. Case in point, Icheb giving traumatic backstory right in the middle of a meeting, the Bajoran being typically angry all the time, the stereotypical "it's down to use to stop the big bad rabble rabble rabble" speech...eugh. It all felt so cookie-cutter, and was delivered with such deadpan flatness, that at times I was wondering if I was watching some sort of parody.
-There were way too many dramatic slow-motion cuts for my liking, especially when used to emphasize the badassery of certain characters (ie Lexxa).

That's my two cents, at any rate.

EDIT: Aaaaand I've just noticed that there's already a thread on this. Mods, please delete my thread.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Overall, I thought Renegades was good, but not great. Though it does hold potential if was to be developed into a real series. (Too bad it CBS already rejected it, "Sorry, we aren't looking for a TV series right now.)

To me there were too many flaws:

1) The use of TOS and TMP sound effects in trying for a nostalgic feeling. To me that felt out of place with it being the Post-TNG era. If they explained they were 23rd Century weapons in the dialogue then it would've been believable.

2) The Archer's set. Even though it was a physical set, it didn't feel genuine. To me, it felt like they should've gone for a green screen.

3) The CGI. I will admit, some of the CGI was really wonderful, it was the bad CGI with the Starfleet HQ and Starbase 1 (ESD?) that killed it for me given we just had nice CGI just moments before.

4) Character Development. To me the character development was lacking and simply was dumped for the sake of the scene than developed.

Lexxa: I thought she was nicely protrayed by Adrienne, but when we learned Lexxa was the "Daughter of Khan", you would think we would've learned more of her background in developing that connection. But instead all we had was flashbacks of Lexxa with her guardian, who she obviously was looking for. But that too wasn't elaborated on.

Also, I think more of a snarky - Han Soloesque attitude would've added to her character as well.

And maybe a little development with a connection to Chekov, since he actually knew Khan. Maybe instead he was the one that found Lexxa and raised her along with his own family?

Dr. Lucien: I really didn't get her character until the end. Nor understood her "private" time with Dr. Zimmerman, except "she wanted 'private time' ".

Icheb: I thought he was under utilized for a returning cast member. I liked the idea of active Borg adaptation idea, but he was more like a walking plot device in keeping the team alive.

Fixer: Didn't know much about him until the end. But that ending showed he had a great potential as a character.

Jaro: You knew he was going to be killed off sooner than later. P

Garis: Was surprised he was killed off given he knew things about Lexxa. Would think his character would've developed more.

The Romulan and the Andorian: Those characters were just there for convienence, would've established them earlier in part of a mini-plot earlier at the beginning. ( BTW, didn't know she was Romulan......what was with those eyebrows?)

But if CBS suddenly thought there should be a second pilot, I would think more integration of the character development into the storyline and more background into those relics would've developed the story more than it just basically being "pew pew".

So if I was taking Renegades as a serious pilot, I'd give it an honest B-. Good, but not great.

That's my 2 Slips of Latinum

• Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Was anticipating watching this for a while now.However when I did finely get a chance I turned it off after a few minutes.It was just hard to watch.I know they had a limited budget,but they could have gotten some better makeup artists.I've seen better Klingon costumes at conventions,and the Nosican looked like a plastic surgery patient that could sue the pants off his doctor.Other then that I can't really comment further as I didn't get far into the episode.I'm sure if it did get picked up the production values would greatly improve.For now I will look forward to more from the people making Axanar.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I stated my opinion in the other thread already, but the longer I think about it the more I dislike it and I am even happier (again, sorry for everyone involved) that CBS did not take the pitch.

The characters get more bland and even sexist the more I think about them. Numerous people welcome the Breen in the cast, at first I did too, but he/she doesn't do anything. He/She's just present, shooting, doing nothing. The others are stereotypes and cleavage. The plot did not get much clearer even after taking another look at it. I am still determined to not hold the visual effects against the production as it is an independend project, but they should adapt to that fact by including LESS action scenes and use the time for more development and maybe non-clunky exposition.

I still see faint merit in the production, but overall I'm not going to follow it further. As Mr. Horse used to say: "No Sir, I don't like it."

I also made the "mistake" of watching "Prelude to Axanar" afterwards. Overall a much better production with a much better purpose. Although based on FASA (which I dislike) the acting in the short prelude is already so much better than Renegades (which cannot be saved by Koenig, Picardo and Russ alone), plus the pre-TOS timeframe is still uncharted territory.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It was all far too rushed. Now they know they're making a few episodes they need to go back and spread some of the plots around.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    almost as soon as it was announced it was on youtube, i saw it from start to finish.

i agree that the lexxa character was a horrible performance for any of the characters, her personal storyline is non existent as is her personality, the burning hole in her past is supposed to drive her, the lack of typical augment good thinking as well is also a let down. in the end she was so wooden and dried out on the stage that it started crumbling away.

the alvarez character was solid but unspectacular, he didnt have much personailty either other then aggressive arrogance and vindictiveness. not at any point did he think about talking to the pirates after earth was trapped. a heroic federation captain is turned into a one dimensional part time antagonist and a pest. what a waste.

the betazoid with a mutation that can force others to kill themselves with their own weapons and such, far too mary sue, especially combined with good looks and cleavage on display. way too far into fantasy levels for it to be realistic.

the breen character could of done with an electronic voice over and had a bigger role.

the Bajoran had karmic retribution put upon him and good thing to. his character is in the same place worf was on tng in season 1, a statue in the corner with not much else going on besides the sterotyical bajoran response. it was a waste of character space.

the cardassian died far too soon to tell if there was any potential in that character at all. it was ruined by this need to put a bajoran with a cardassian almost everytime. again, waste of another character space.

i do agree that the alien masks could of had some paint on them, give them some better looks at least. the nausicaan and that whatever borada's race, they all could of done with some additional features on the masks.

the cgi was a step up from gods and men, a clear step up, not fully star trek levels, the cgi action could be slowed down a little more, less arcade like. the phaser or torpedo hits could undergo another pass over though.

icheb, i dont buy the whole active borg thing, i mean he lost most of his borg features during what happened on voyager, he didnt have those abilities then, there is no reason for them later on. as for what happens when borg nanoprobes start creating borg implants again, they tend to want to turn the person into a borg, fully. i dont see how this silly plot point worked its way into the script. as others stated, a walking plot device. far too conveinent.

chekov making his return was actually okay, the sort of thing i could come to expect off him, although i dont get any mention of his russian past he liked to wear as badge like he did in his youth.

i dont like what was done with admiral owen paris. he could of gone to the end as well, but like many others on this film, too many dying off before their characters have had a real chance at it.

in the end the film was rather average, not a thrilling success i was expecting, but it also wasnt as bad as some films and tv episodes either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    So it's Federation against the Wraith. Crossover to the maximum.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    So in other words it's Nemesucks all over again?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User

Well, if it were a regular pilot episode then it would have been decent. Both the battles in space and on the ground had a nice quality.
    It was the character interaction/establishing of characters which dragged the whole down.

Also, aside from taking place in the star trek universe and having star trek actors it simply didn't feel like star trek.
    More like farscape which isn't one of my personal favourites.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Actually, it's STO for the most part.

Plot:
    Original "Noble Warrior Culture" Aliens are on a crusade of revenge against the UFP because centuries ago an artifact was found on their homeworld which caused their world to implode. They blame the UFP for it and now they want revenge for it by bringing this artifact to earth. On their way they implode numerous Dilithium Refineries to hurt the UFP for some reason. While mustering defenses, Admiral Chekov has to discover that his attempts at answering the threat are foiled from within - soon we discover that Starfleet is infiltrated with shapeshifting aliens that want to end the Federation because they're evil. Since "nobody can be trusted" Chekov calls Tuvok, Tuvok calls the "Renegade" crew who are for some reason the only hope of the alliance - erm, the Federation. They fly over to the first evil warrior guys (on the way repeatedly clashing with a dangerously obsessed Starfleet captain who would even prefer to shoot the Renegades isntead of saving the Earth) and it turns out the whole plot has been engineered since, of course, the UFP wasn't around when the artifact was dropped on their homeworld. And there are actually two artifacts, the evil overaliens already brought the second one to earth which they then activate to encase Earth in a "space fold" to crush the planet. Why they haven't done so earlier nobody knows. Then we find out the two artifacts are linked and form a portal. So the Renegades jump from warrior bad guys to earth, disable the earth device, implode the warrior aliens and now have to do their Renegade stuff to save the UFP fromt he shapeshifting/infiltrator aliens. We are told three or four times that it is very important that they do it because "nobody can be trusted". The end.

Aside from the metaplot we learn each crew members deep dark angsty personal plot.
    Captain Woman is sad because her sister is missing and she's an augment, appearantly. Deus-Ex Borg is sad because he's a liberated Borg. Engineer guy is sad because he's the hologram and doesn't know. Doctor woman is sad because she's responsible for Engineer guy's death and turned him into a hologram (yes) and she got the hots for Zimmerman (Robert Picardo - because Robert Picardo had to be in this. And holograms and stuff). Mrs. Andorian TRIBBLE is sad because she can hack people's brains. Mrs. Betazoid cleavage is sad because she can make people kill themselves via telepathy. Tuvok is sad because he knows where Captain Woman's sister is, but he doesn't tell. Chekov is sad because everyone is evil. And his greatgranddaughter lost an arm because she was an involuntary assasin for his life. All the other characters are also sad but it's not important because they die.
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I weighted way to long for this movie/pilot and lost interest months ago. just saw it.
    1 - acting was a little off. but overall a good plot with great potential.
    2 - the Cadassian was killed way to soon and was probably my favorite character.
    3 - some one in the comments said that Borg nanites don't function that way. but nanites have been reprogramed many times to do many different things.
    4 - CGI could of been a little better.
    5 - I cant stand slow motion scenes. if at all once for a big reveal. that's it. ie - the end of SAW 1
    6 - they went with a more modern type of role play (people acting like they would today in that time) it wasn't very trek like characterization.
    7 - Starfleet uniforms didn't fit the actors right and looked bulky.
    8 - Fixer seems to have a lot of potential in becoming one of the series favorite character.
    you realy should put contains spoilers in the title.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I wasn't impressed! The ship bridge of the Federation ship looked like something from a cheap Fisher Price toy set! The rest of the sets were very poorly done as well. Factor in some of the worst uniform designs I have seen and yes, I I do play Star Trek Online, so I have seen plenty of horrible designs :P The acting was pretty bad outside of the well known Star Trek actors! The writing was definitely the biggest failure by far! Why everyone showed no respect for the Admiral Chekov by always referring to him by his first name?!

I would say in about the nicest way I can put it. Yes, most people who love Trek could easily write up something better and more believable. A good well written story could easily compensate for the other short-comings of the film but Renegades had too much wrong with it to enjoy. What Renegades does illustrate, is why CBS won't trust fans with the IP.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    What Renegades does illustrate, is why CBS won't trust fans with the IP.

I don't think anyone ever thought that CBS would share or canonify fan series given they are focused with NuTrek.

But fan series does tell CBS there is a growing want of a new Star Trek series. Which I think encouraged the to offer Star Trek on Netflix to gauge the waters for a possible new series there on-demand. Just like how Marvel is doing with Daredevil and other TV shows that wouldn't make it on TV.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I never had a good feeling about this... It struck me as too much of a vanity project for Russ and Koenig, never captured my interest and thanks to the reviews above, I certainly won't waste my time watching it... Sorry to hear it didn't work out...
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    I watched Renegades the day I learned it was released. I loved.

That type of dark, more military, that is exactly the type of Star Trek I love seeing.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I loved it. My favourite characters are Shree, aka Andorian Blue TRIBBLE, Ronana the Betaziod who looks like she's having a seizure when she uses her powers, the Captain of the Archer, the main bad guy and his son, and, Fixer.

Anyone else recognized that Ragnar was in both Gods and Men and Renegades.

As for those whining about too much cleavage, that's like complaining that they're is too much world peace in the world, too little poverty, too many cures for diseases, too little suffering in the world.

When I hear people whine about too much cleavage or nudity I want to puke, I mean did you run out of puppies to kick or kittens to step on?

If your Asexual I respect that, but please don't sexual nueter the universe.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    (...)

As for those whining about too much cleavage, that's like complaining that they're is too much world peace in the world, too little poverty, too many cures for diseases, too little suffering in the world.

(...)

Some women don't like being sexploited pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »
    (...)

(...)

Some women don't like being sexploited pig-3.gif

Your title not confuses me. 'One' what?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited September 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    Your title not confuses me. 'One' what?

... angry Targ pig-3.gif. For some reason the promoter link is broken and only displays the first word. If I shorten it it even displays vBB URL tags. I notified Asterelle about it, I can't figure out what's wrong. pig-23.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Human sexuality isn't exploitation, if the actress in question was uncomfortible showing so much cleavage, she wouldn't do it, she's not even being payed, so they're nothing keeping her there if she was uncomfortible! Your white knighting someone who neither wants you to "rescue" her, needs you to rescue her.

No one is being exploited.
  • Options
    Your title not confuses me. 'One' what?

... angry Targ pig-3.gif. For some reason the promoter link is broken and only displays the first word. If I shorten it it even displays vBB URL tags. I notified Asterelle about it, I can't figure out what's wrong. pig-23.gif

Hmm, mine's displaying both words.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Hmm, mine's displaying both words.

Mine's should be fixed as well, Asterelle put two patches out in quick succession. But it's interesting that it wasn't broken for you in the first place pig-39.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Hmm, mine's displaying both words.

Mine's should be fixed as well, Asterelle put two patches out in quick succession. But it's interesting that it wasn't broken for you in the first place pig-39.gif

Yup, you're back now. Though, as it's fixed, should't you be a happy targ?​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The ship designs were pretty good. The Starfleet Uniforms though... they didn't do it for me at all. Looked like a throwback kitbash to me. Mixing elements from different uniforms like the rank location on the Wrath of Khan uniform, full color style like the TOS uniform...

It was an interesting attempt at portraying the shady side of the Star Trek universe, with what amounted to a Privateer ship, but there were some things that could have been better.

That Andorian wasn't too bad looking though. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sannia1sannia1 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I watched the whole movie.

The music was terrible and ruined the whole thing. It would be a good choice for building suspense in anticipation of action. But - they didn't change the style of music at all between scenes.
    An example would be when they were sneaking into the tunnels. The music should've switched to something quite and ominous. Then, once shots were fired it should've switched to something bold and dramatic.

It seems minor, but audio is half the movie, and music is half the audio. Good music can almost tell the story itself. Without it, the audience has to think about what's going on, and you don't want the audience thinking.

On top of that, I have nitpicks:
    Admiral Chekhov has a bunch of pictures from his ToS days in his office. We already know who he is an don't need that much of a reminder. Character wise, he'd more likely prefer to have pictures of his family, maybe some pictures of his interim career. I mean, he didn't skip from ensign to admiral, so he probably was captain at some point in between and would likely remember that time much for fondly than the time he was the grunt on the Enterprise.

The "Admiral Nimoy Memorial"? If you're going to bring it up it would be the "Ambassador Spock Memorial", unless you're referring to some random Starfleet Officer who happens to be a future descendant of the late actor. My advice would've been "don't bring it up".

I agree with the "too many characters" thing. That seems to be the trap that most science fictions fall in to. Part of what made ToS so successful was that their cast started off as just Shatner and Nimoy. Since they added characters as they went along, the characters could be fleshed out properly.

I partially agree with the "too much cleavage" thing too. I think the critics are forgetting that Star Trek never lacked in the T&A department. No guy lost his shirt though so I can understand why the ladies are miffed.

Grant Imahara is a special effects guru with no real acting experience. He should've been running the special effects. His celebrity status from Mythbusters justified a cameo, but I broke out laughing when he did his big villain monologue.

All in all, it's Tim Russ' first movie and it had no budget. If you were expecting more, you shouldn't have been. I just hope the effort doesn't stop here. It is a watchable movie. If they could re-release it with a better musical track it would actually be better than the lousier TNG movies.

As a director, Russ can only gain experience either by trying or by mentorship, and Hollywood is shunning outsiders right now, hence the JJ Trek. So, his only option is trial and error. The only way there will ever be proper Star Trek again is if the fans tolerate a few 'misfires' as Russ learns how to direct.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yup, you're back now. Though, as it's fixed, should't you be a happy targ?

I am, sometimes. But being around STO and the forums too much just makes me all angry again... pig-4.gif

rattler2 wrote: »
    The ship designs were pretty good. The Starfleet Uniforms though... they didn't do it for me at all. (...)

It was an interesting attempt at portraying the shady side of the Star Trek universe, with what amounted to a Privateer ship, but there were some things that could have been better.

That Andorian wasn't too bad looking though. ;)

Funny, it's the complete opposite for me. Aside from the Archer (which had some resemblences to the "Axanar" TOS-era Ares-class - is that some form of non-canon continuity here? pig-3.gif) I thought the ship design to be terrible. The Icarus and it's gun barrels and the evil warrior guy's shell-ships. Nah. The (Starfleet) uniforms on the other hoof though I actually did like. Sure they looked a little bit like low budget props but that's just how that production worked. Design wise I liked them. I also like the AGT version, robes/tunics somehow fit the portrayal I have about strfleet and the future depicted. I also like the approach to show more of the world than just Starfleet, but ultimately it fell flat unfortunately.

About the Andorian, it's not really about looks. I'm going to say some more with the next quote.

sannia1 wrote: »
    (...)
    I partially agree with the "too much cleavage" thing too. I think the critics are forgetting that Star Trek never lacked in the T&A department. No guy lost his shirt though so I can understand why the ladies are miffed.
    (...)

Sorry for cutting your posting short, but I like to say something about this point as of now there is a adequately phrased point worthy of responding to.

At first, because something "always has been" is not a very good reason to keep things going. But it's not only about looks and personal taste (you hinted at 'miffled ladies' - there are also women who like to see other women wearing short skirts pig-2.gif No need to generalize). It has something to do with good taste, sense of style, fitting of characters and blatant sexploitation on the other hoof.

I have to out myself - I actually like TOS-era short skirts. And there is one scene showinf Terry Ferrel in a TOS-era uniform I hold in fond memory pig-47.gif ("different times"). But then there's Jeri Ryan in VOY, Jolene Blalock in ENT and "Blue Bewbz" Andorian Courtney Peldon in Renegades, who also got to play the unnecessary "depraved implied lesbianism" part when "hacking" that one girls' brain. Yes, we even had to hear the "bad girl" line. Yikes.

The last three examples are not used in good taste and are also completely unnecessary and out-of-character. Jeri Ryan was deliberately brought in just to provide "T&A" which was unmistakenly stated in behind-the-scenes material. Cast members felt sorry for her and Brannon Braga got his thing. The redeeming factor was that Mrs. Ryan actually can act and did the best she could considering the terrible writing the show and her character was "blessed" with. But why Seven of Nine of all women would wear skin-tight catsuits, why the doctor would design her cloth like that, it all doesn't make sense and we know no phony in-universe handwave can rectify what we know was a blatant attempt at sexploiting her - wether or not the actor in question does feel comfortable or not doesn't actually change the intention. Jolene Blalock... oh dear... same story, same Braga, only difference is that she actually wasn't an actor but a model. And it showed. Overall shameful performance. In Renegades it is sadly so obvious that there are varying degrees of sexploiting the female actors (yes, plural) going on in an unnecessary and not in-character adequate way it is shocking. But I guess they tried everything to push attention. It's just not good style. You can show cleavage deliberately to make a point and still keep the role's and actor's integrity intact and you can just show bad style. I hope my point got a little bit clearer.

The rest of your posting, @sannia1 was an interesting read and I don't want to cut it entirely. I never even noticed the TOS pictures in Chekov's office and I share your view on those. Also, yes, the music in particular lacked some dynamic. And the "Admiral Nimoy" thing - yes, the whole scene was also, actually, bad style. A text before or after the movie would have been a much better choice to acknowledge and incorporate past events in this production. It was just out of context and was kinda... awkward. Also, like basically all over the film, the editing was so rough and fast it didn't really feel right at any point.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Yup, you're back now. Though, as it's fixed, should't you be a happy targ?

I am, sometimes. But being around STO and the forums too much just makes me all angry again... pig-4.gif

Really!? I can't imagine what :D.
    I have to out myself - I actually like TOS-era short skirts. And there is one scene showinf Terry Ferrel in a TOS-era uniform I hold in fond memory pig-47.gif ("different times").

Different times sure, but there was no reason to include them in 09 and ID. Mind you, the skirts are one thing, but the sundresses! Where. Are. The. Bloody. Ranks? That's fanservice without logic.

Also that gif is making me dizzy :D.
    But why Seven of Nine of all women would wear skin-tight catsuits, why the doctor would design her cloth like that, it all doesn't make sense and we know no phony in-universe handwave can rectify what we know was a blatant attempt at sexploiting her - wether or not the actor in question does feel comfortable or not doesn't actually change the intention.

From what I remember, it was supposed to be her skin, a replacement for the Borg-exosuit, but then I would have assumed she'd wear a uniform on top of it.
    Jolene Blalock... oh dear... same story, same Braga, only difference is that she actually wasn't an actor but a model. And it showed. Overall shameful performance.

I thought she was a fan of the show and of Vulcans in particular. But as an actor, I didn't mind her, I found her more convincing than some of the other mains at times.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Really!? I can't imagine what :D.

I'm just going to oink my happy song! pig-23.gif
    Different times sure, but there was no reason to include them in 09 and ID. Mind you, the skirts are one thing, but the sundresses! Where. Are. The. Bloody. Ranks? That's fanservice without logic.

Also that gif is making me dizzy :D.

There was no reason for 09 and ID in the first place, but let's not go there... And it's a good kind of dizzy. Almost makes you forget that she betrayed Trek pig-2.gif
    From what I remember, it was supposed to be her skin, a replacement for the Borg-exosuit, but then I would have assumed she'd wear a uniform on top of it.

Really? I actually don't remember that. If so, it really looks even more stupid pig-47.gif. I can understand that she doesn't wear a uniform - as a liberated Borg trying to learn individualism letting her wear an uniform is kinda contraproductive. And I just made that reason up myself. But even if that's not the reason, the other liberated Borg int he show didn't have to wear cloth like that and, as you said, she could still wear something on top of it to help her discovery of individualism. And practical wear for duty is also not "irrelevant". But hey, that stuff is long gone.
    I thought she was a fan of the show and of Vulcans in particular. But as an actor, I didn't mind her, I found her more convincing than some of the other mains at times.

I read up, she actually acted more than she modeled, but I certainly did not like her act. But then again, I didn't like ENT for the most part, so maybe it's my fault. MA says shew as a TOS fan but was not interested in TNG and beyond and rejected the offer to play T'Pol two times - Braga was very bent on getting her, though. Because we could never had a more mature Vulcan wearing robes instead of a catsuit...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Going to take a look tonight with my wife.

Overall, I never had any high hopes on it, the trailers showed already some flaws in dialog and acting some certain individuals. Pitching this to CBS was a lost cause from the start.

With that said, I still put my money on Axanor (Spell).
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    Really? I actually don't remember that. If so, it really looks even more stupid pig-47.gif. I can understand that she doesn't wear a uniform - as a liberated Borg trying to learn individualism letting her wear an uniform is kinda contraproductive. And I just made that reason up myself. But even if that's not the reason, the other liberated Borg int he show didn't have to wear cloth like that and, as you said, she could still wear something on top of it to help her discovery of individualism. And practical wear for duty is also not "irrelevant". But hey, that stuff is long gone.

I believe it was mentioned behind the scenes stuff, I can't remember if it actually made into an episode or not. But any pretence of it being anything other than fanservice went out the window when Icheb didn't also wear one.
    I read up, she actually acted more than she modeled, but I certainly did not like her act. But then again, I didn't like ENT for the most part, so maybe it's my fault. MA says shew as a TOS fan but was not interested in TNG and beyond and rejected the offer to play T'Pol two times - Braga was very bent on getting her, though. Because we could never had a more mature Vulcan wearing robes instead of a catsuit...

I wasn't too bothered about her early brown uniform, it was just a tighter version of the other Vulcan uniforms. It was when she started wearing catsuits with Starfleet badges on, that was just embarrassing. Almost as bad as Kira's series 7 costume.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    One of the most important contributions to Star Trek was Captain Jellico, that demanded Troi to wear an actual uniform.
    It's still a Star Trek Pyjama style uniform perhaps, but it made her actually look serious and as if she belonged on the bridge - and it didn't diminish her beauty at all.
    Too bad Seven of Nine or T'Pol were never given that chance. I found the "fan-service" clothing to be mostly ugly and unattractive, so it failed both at that goal, and at looking believable.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.