Player LC Submission Ideas - Discussion Thread

15678911»

Comments

• rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aten66 wrote: »
    *Turns on Caps Lock*

OMIGOSH THAT"S YOU!

YAY recognition! Yeah, Imma be posting it here as soon as I'm allowed to actually make threads (how long does that take, anyway?), because I'm kind of a vampire for responses and so far don't have any on FanFiction.net, but might get some here, so...I don't even necessarily want positive responses or even on-topic discussions. I just like talking to people.
    Seriously though, I love the ETH, we so need it on every ship. DTI needs to take lessons from you.

By the way, in case you couldn't tell by the description, Scottish accent, or the anagram'd name of the Bajoran he's based off of...the ETH is played by David Tennent.
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    YAY recognition! Yeah, Imma be posting it here as soon as I'm allowed to actually make threads (how long does that take, anyway?), because I'm kind of a vampire for responses and so far don't have any on FanFiction.net, but might get some here, so...I don't even necessarily want positive responses or even on-topic discussions. I just like talking to people.

By the way, in case you couldn't tell by the description, Scottish accent, or the anagram'd name of the Bajoran he's based off of...the ETH is played by David Tennent.

*Dies*

*Regenerates*

Ok, did not even realize that!

The only reason I don't ever post on fanfiction.. I'm a stalk...err Reader more than I am a reviewer.... *phew*...
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the Buddy Cops idea. It could be madcap, it could end in tears, it could end in greater awareness of one's self.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the Buddy Cops idea. It could be madcap, it could end in tears, it could end in greater awareness of one's self.

Ambassadormolari's doing a terrific story loosely based on that concept.

Which reminds me: Ambassadormolari, when is the next chapter of Suspect going to be up? I'm super excited for it!
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Elijah's opposite would just be a generic jock type. So I picture that as a Captain who's REALLY into Pareesi's Squares.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "An Enterprise Of A Different Sort"

"If there is one quantum constant, it is that any starship bearing the name Enterprise runs afoul of odd situations on a near-daily basis. While on Iconian Patrol alongside Captain Shon and the USS Enterprise, both of your vessels encounter a Herald invasion fleet. In the midst of the ensuing skirmish a Herald Dreadnought suffers a catastrophic cascade failure and implodes, creating a powerful subspace anomaly. Your vessel, the Enterprise-F and several enemy vessels are swallowed up in the ensuing wormhole...and what you find on the other side is unnerving. Not only have you and the Enterprise gone backwards in time, you've gone sideways!

"Now you and Captain Shon are facing a quandary of truly "Enterprising" proportions; an alternate timeline featuring a larger, sleeker and more heavily-armed version of the famous Constitution-class U.S.S. Enterprise, crewed by younger,brasher versions of the Enterprise's crew under James T. Kirk...and it is clearly the result of a massive Temporal Incursion by a madman thought long dead. To make matters worse, the Enterprise-F has suffered severe damage to its starboard nacelle and requires repairs, and one of the Herald battleships managed to survive the passage and is now loose in deep space.

"Does the Temporal Prime Directive take ultimate precedence? Or will the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? It's up to you and your crew--with the help of the alternate Enterprise--to protect the Big E-F and both realities from the Herald threat...before any more damage is done."

This prompt is exactly what I think it is, isn't it?

*lightly taps table with two fingers*

Close the door on your way out, people. Cap'n don't want cha to hear this.

*watches silently as everyone files out*

*Door closes*

*Breathes in*

*silhouette silently thrashes behind the glass door*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't see the involvement of the Temporal Prime Directive here. It doesn't really apply crosstime, only uptime and downtime.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fyrwinde13109fyrwinde13109 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2015

This prompt is exactly what I think it is, isn't it?

*lightly taps table with two fingers*

Close the door on your way out, people. Cap'n don't want cha to hear this.

*watches silently as everyone files out*

*Door closes*

*Breathes in*

*silhouette silently thrashes behind the glass door*

To point out a few things regarding the recent comments on my LC submission: First of all, it's fine if you don't agree, moonshadowdark, but can you explain WHY you don't like the idea? Doesn't exactly help me improve otherwise, so give me a hand. Why the hate?:confused:

I figured, why not? The whole concept of Star Trek Online is based on the events that triggered the new movies. Why not have a "Yesterday's Enterprise"-style occurrence with the Enterprise-F and the "new-old" Enterprise?

As for the Temporal Prime Directive, eh...it kind of applies, I think. Like this: the new timeline was the result of direct interference from the old one. The dilemma is this: should player captain(s) stay out of things altogether and bring in D.T.I. to fix things, or leave things to run their course.
    edited June 2015
    To point out a few things regarding the recent comments on my LC submission: First of all, it's fine if you don't agree, moonshadowdark, but can you explain WHY you don't like the idea? Doesn't exactly help me improve otherwise, so give me a hand. Why the hate?:confused:
    Because many people have a rather violent reaction to the very existence of the reboot movies, what they disparagingly call "JJTrek". As far as I can tell, the majority of those people are those who grew up on TNG, and expect a slower pace and more respect paid to the chain of command. As a TOS baby, the only part of the '09 movie that gave me any problem (aside from the foolishness of throwing away your FTL drive to escape a black hole - defined as an area where the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light) was Kirk's sudden ascension to Captain from the rank of Cadet.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fyrwinde13109fyrwinde13109 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Good to see there are a few who approach things with a more Vulcan mindset! :D

While I certainly agree there are elements that don't QUITE match up, or were left far too vague in favor of all the *ACTION* (I doubt it was the actual warp core that was ejected in ST XI, for example) there are ways the new movies could've been a LOT worse.

Also, come to think of it, there are some plot holes that were filled in outside of the movies, and I seem to recall Jim being granted a field commission to Lieutenant since Pike made him the Acting 1st officer. (All hail screencaps!) Yeah, James T. Kirk did have a meteoric rise through the ranks...but hey, it was fun to watch, wasn't it? :)

That being said...my LC submission is basically a "Yesteryear's Enterprise" scenario, set during the Enterprise's 5-year mission at the end of Into Darkness. Nothing TOO fancy. I just figured I'd toss in the AOS to add a twist and see if anybody would give it some thought.
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I've been away from STO for a while now. (I actually spend more time in this forum than in the game.)
    Haven't even played the seasonal events for the free ship(s), though I'm sure I'll come back to it soon enough.

But today I got an email from PW saying

Elite Rewards for Veterans like You!
    As a thank you for your support, we are giving you a powerful gift that will help you on your journey! Use the code below to claim your FREE Andromeda Class Exploration Cruiser and enough XP to set your highest level character to 60!

I'm not a subscriber (lifetime or otherwise), I guess they just missed me (and the four times I bought Zen). :)

But it inspired a new LC idea "Back in the Game"

I know it probably won't work for many of your character's canon, but then again, it might be a fun 'what if' episode.

It's also nice to have an idea spark in my head... maybe I can get back to writing again.
    proteusrex wrote: »
    I've been away from STO for a while now. (I actually spend more time in this forum than in the game.)
    Haven't even played the seasonal events for the free ship(s), though I'm sure I'll come back to it soon enough.

But today I got an email from PW saying

Elite Rewards for Veterans like You!
    As a thank you for your support, we are giving you a powerful gift that will help you on your journey! Use the code below to claim your FREE Andromeda Class Exploration Cruiser and enough XP to set your highest level character to 60!

I'm not a subscriber (lifetime or otherwise), I guess they just missed me (and the four times I bought Zen). :)
    Yeah, my roommate got one of those too. He took one captain all the way to 50, back when that was the level cap, and he bought Zen to get the Sao Paulo retrofit, then he stopped playing for a long time (distracted by APB Reloaded, mostly). Now he's got an Andromeda Class, Level 60, and an actual interest in playing again.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

But it inspired a new LC idea "Back in the Game"

I know it probably won't work for many of your character's canon, but then again, it might be a fun 'what if' episode.

It's also nice to have an idea spark in my head... maybe I can get back to writing again.

Welcome back - it's a good story idea, too!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    "Minor Duties"

We know the various "Mission Novelizations", where people come up with stories inserting their characters into missions from the game and telling it like an actual story.

But what about the DOff Missions? Those missions that don't warrant the Captain's presence, and simply require a small team of junior officers?

From a team of Security Officers searching for Contraband, to a Klingon Warrior having his Honor challenged by a member of one of the great houses, to mining efforts on an unstable asteroid cluster, the possibilities are numerous.

Pick a DOff mission. Any DOff mission. Determine how it turns out, be it success, Crit success, failure, or disaster. Then write a short story, detailing what happens from the perspective of the participating DOffs.
    Maybe we could investigate these rumors of Klingon intelligence I keep hearing. :P
    Back in the Game

It's been a long time since your Captain has commanded a ship, even longer since they have been on the front lines. As the war with the Iconians rages on, the fleet grows desperate. Now, the top brass has tracked you down, hoping to bring you back. They're offering you a battlefield promotion to Fleet Admiral/Dahar Master, a brand new state-of-the-art Teir 6 starship, and your choice of senior bridge staff. All to get you back into the war. But is it enough?

What took your Captain out of the game? Was it a personal choice? (recovering from a tragedy, or to protect your family?) or was it something more mysterious (like a temporal incursion, or omnipotent influence)? Where did the fleet find your Captain? (Living in a hut in a swamp, serving drinks in a backwater tavern, living a quiet happy life with a loved one?) and what will it take for them to return?
    Funnily enough I pretty much already wrote that one with Tyria Sark's introduction piece "The Silence Ends". She was teaching in Starfleet ROTC on Trill so she could raise a daughter.
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm back. :) I may not be writing much but my head is spinning with ideas.

Springing out of my last idea, I came up with three more little 'what-ifs'. I know some people don't like time travel, but personally I love them, it gives you the opportunity to see your favourite characters outside of their established canon.

I haven't played much Season 10, so my ideas might need some tweaking to fit into proper game canon.
    Golden Age feels like the most fun, though I like all three - walking away from Omelas is never easy.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I'm going to have to say "no thanks" to any prompt involving the Krenim. A) They need to be rebuilding their lives, not TRIBBLE with unfinished tech and theories for revenge. B) The Federation should have no involvement whatsoever with the weapon ship due to the Temporal Prime Directive. C) Time travel is invariably stupid nonsense and I refuse to have anything to do with it.
    C) Time travel is invariably stupid nonsense and I refuse to have anything to do with it.
    Fritz Lieber's Change War stories.

David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself.

I'll grant you that Larry Niven's Svetz stories have their share of silliness, but that's because neither Svetz nor his superiors realize that once you push an extension cage back to before time travel became a scientific concept, your vehicle is now fantasy, and exists only in fantasy universes. Poor Wrona, cursed to remain a dog forever just because she wanted to stay with Svetz...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2015
    Think we lost some posts on this - also, did we lose the pin on the Recommendations?

To repost a bit - I'm glad the virtue of the ULCs with multiple ideas gives more 'story-seeds' per set, so there's more a chance of something really attractive being present. That said, I think while expressing distaste is the nature of the forums, slamming the idea entirely is not conductive towards discussion or participation on a thread which is about seeking ideas.