test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ULC #14 Discussion Thread

Comments

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Weird request - anyone have good suggestions for stories around a poker table? I can see it working visually rather than in prose for doing the play-by-play, and I could use (er, steal) some inspiration if anyone has recommendations.
    Not a auggestion as such, but an observation about such scenes: The conversation is almost never really about what is going on on the table... As for topics of conversation, it could be anything from personal to political B)

I like that idea - I'm not always a fan of script-fics so I'm not sure I could handle it, though I'm going to backburner that idea for some future ULC, I think.

Would handle some of the flow problems, probably, thinking about it form that angle - thanks!
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited August 2015

I like that idea - I'm not always a fan of script-fics so I'm not sure I could handle it, though I'm going to backburner that idea for some future ULC, I think.

Would handle some of the flow problems, probably, thinking about it form that angle - thanks!
    Glad to be of help B) I think sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right latch. When the LC was first posted, the poker prompt didn't trigger anything. It wasn't until I recalled the conversation about the conversation between Marcus and Fairfax, that it occured to me that there had to be a trigger for that conversation, and a poker night seemed a suitable catalyst B) Care to make a guess on who actually reported him? ;)
    Care to make a guess on who actually reported him? ;)

I lean towards Amanda as the most uneasy with the conversation, personally.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Care to make a guess on who actually reported him? ;)

I lean towards Amanda as the most uneasy with the conversation, personally.
    It was in fact Max... ;)

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    @marcusdkane - Very nice! I thought to do the same (rumors), so now that that has been done, time for ... something else. I like the music choice at the end of the pieces for this LC.

I had an interesting issue though: how Scott recalled so much about a specific Article. Is that expected IRL?
    @marcusdkane - Very nice! I thought to do the same (rumors), so now that that has been done, time for ... something else. I like the music choice at the end of the pieces for this LC.

I had an interesting issue though: how Scott recalled so much about a specific Article. Is that expected IRL?
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, but sorry to have beaten your idea :smiley: I figured that was a fitting track just to bookmark that Marcus is/was (depending on ones chronological point of view) a pretty messed up guy with some serious issues...

I'm not sure how much it would be required IRL, but I figured that serving personnel would have to have some idea of the rules and regs they were supposed to follow. Marcus made him recite it, because he had no moral high ground of his own to fall back on, so had to literally rely on the Article to maintain the position of authority, and making Scott acknowledge exactly what he had done wrong, was about all he could do to scare the bejesus out of him, rather than trying to justify his own sealed court-martial ;) The only liberty I took, was that under the UCMJ, someone would not ordinarily be held to account for things said or done in a purely private conversations. But, given the nature of the piece, I figured that as a starship is such a sealed environment and community, privacy rulings would have to be a bit different B)
    I agree with that and frankly, it made sense.

I'd imaging Janeway would have to tamp down certain scuttlebutt like Marcus did.
    edited August 2015
    DoublePost
    Post edited by marcusdkane on
    I agree with that and frankly, it made sense.

I'd imaging Janeway would have to tamp down certain scuttlebutt like Marcus did.
    Thanks, I'm glad it made sense B)

You'd think, I suspect she just stuck her fingers in her ears and drank more coffee ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    So, "All In" is sort of a prequel to an adaptation of "Delta Flight" that I've been planning.

Crew of the USS Bajor:
    • Captain Kanril Eleya, commanding officer: Jennifer Hale
    • Commander Tesjha "Tess" Phohl, first officer and tactical officer: Claudia Black
    • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer and second officer: Adam Baldwin
    • Commander Birail "Biri" Riyannis, science officer: Ursula Abbott
    • Lieutenant (JG) Warragul Wirrpanda, chief medical officer: Wayne Blair
    • Lieutenant Commander Bynam Ehrob, chief engineer: S. Scott Bullock

Guest-starring:
    • Lieutenant Alicia Westlake Gantumur, assault team leader: Keira Knightley
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Nice story, StarSword. :smile:
    76561198160276582.png
    So, "All In" is sort of a prequel to an adaptation of "Delta Flight" that I've been planning.

Crew of the USS Bajor:
    • Captain Kanril Eleya, commanding officer: Jennifer Hale
    • Commander Tesjha "Tess" Phohl, first officer and tactical officer: Claudia Black
    • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer and second officer: Adam Baldwin
    • Commander Birail "Biri" Riyannis, science officer: Ursula Abbott
    • Lieutenant (JG) Warragul Wirrpanda, chief medical officer: Wayne Blair
    • Lieutenant Commander Bynam Ehrob, chief engineer: S. Scott Bullock

Guest-starring:
    • Lieutenant Alicia Westlake Gantumur, assault team leader: Keira Knightley
    I liked it B)
    , I figured that as a starship is such a sealed environment and community, privacy rulings would have to be a bit different B)

Probably a bad sign for a captain when they're reduced to a book, even in a closed space, but I think Marcus really handled the situation as well as could be.

StarSword - short and pretty emotional - the stress getting to everyone and trying to paper over it.

Thanks, guys. Though I realized later I gave Bynam an impossible hand (you can't count your opponent's three into a four of a kind, lol). Fixed now, though.
    , I figured that as a starship is such a sealed environment and community, privacy rulings would have to be a bit different B)

Probably a bad sign for a captain when they're reduced to a book, even in a closed space, but I think Marcus really handled the situation as well as could be.
    Yeah, Marcus was a pretty flawed individual, so he had to get shuffled off his immortal coil, but he is fun to work with every now and again when the circumstances fit B)
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Nice win, StarSword.
    Well, you know what they say:
    You never play your hand, you always play the guy across from you.
    Glad you enjoyed it! You got any of your usual insanity planned for this round?
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I had a bit of an idea stewing around for the first one, but was thinking it might be ripping off a TV show. I might still try modifying the idea somehow.
    edited August 2015
    Well, hawk- we're writing stories based on a game based on an extension of a beloved television show, so I say go for it!

(As South Park noted, Simpsons have done almost everything, as just one example. It's in the execution)

• jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I finally managed to submit something again woo go me

anyway it's just something short and silly, basically Sex and the City IN SPACE but with more likeable characters :smirk:

party people:
    Admiral Joanne Roslyn
    Commander Corspa sh'Eide
    Captain Kareem Verneuil
    Palis Delon
    Post edited by jonnaroslyn on
    I liked it, @jonnaroslyn It wasn't weighty but the personalities came through for a fun night out.

Pretty good, jonnaroslyn. I especially enjoyed Corspa's reaction to Joanna's garb.
    That was surprisingly brutal hawku001x :o

I apologize, I feel like I'm missing a background or context on the jokes in this one to get the right feelf or it - I did like the music selections.

edited September 2015
    Ah, sorry about that, antonine. This one was a toughie and I may have put too much in it.

The Winter Wonderland mention was a reference to my entry for LC69, and the Menrow mention was a ref to his body-switching in my entries for ULC4 and ULC11.

Scrubs perhaps?
    Community S03E10 Regional Holiday Music (the one where they make fun of Glee). I was going to have each crew person drop off into musicalness one by one until the Captain was left, but I kind went with a condensed version.

Here's a pic of Samya and her crew:
    dropcrew2410-500px-cropped.jpg

Here's the STEU article for this ULC if anyone wants to get into wiki stuff:
    stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sound_of_Q-sic
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    Thanks for putting together the article - nothing against the story, I'm just not in the right mindset to get it right now or something - I don't think it's a failure on your part.

edited September 2015
    ^^ No problem. Also, that was StarSword's article actually. :)
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    @StarSword-C - I agree, nice win. I was a little surprised about the Starfleet pay though, or maybe I've missed a big something ...
    @jonnaroslyn - This was a sweet piece as the characters were very personable very quickly.
    @hawku001x - So, Samya is my hero.
    edited August 2015
    Nice detective work from Samya, I do like the image of everyone standing around singing the Song We Do Not Speak Of.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    @StarSword-C - I agree, nice win. I was a little surprised about the Starfleet pay though, or maybe I've missed a big something ...
    Maybe "three weeks' pay" was a bit of an exaggeration by Eleya.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/