test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Random Officers on Bridge Gripe

navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
You know, back in the old days of STO, pretty much all you had on your bridge were your Bridge Officers, who wore the outfits that you wanted on them...so everyone on the bridge pretty much looked in uniform. Now, for whatever reason I have officers wearing uniforms that are default that are not even bridge officers, sitting in my two chairs beside me, manning many different consoles and pretty much over running my bridge. I mean, you always had one or two, but easily over looked...now these...things....are everywhere? Would somebody explain to me why STO is taking from the submersion of the game by doing this?

EDIT: Hey folks, I have an update to add to the other suggestions on this thread.
Post edited by navar#3536 on

Comments

• Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    If you use the default bridge then all your officers or at least most of them should appear. For some reason most of the other bridges don't seem to generate your officers properly.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    walligig wrote: »
    If you use the default bridge then all your officers or at least most of them should appear. For some reason most of the other bridges don't seem to generate your officers properly.

Hmmm...I was unaware of that. Which would explain a lot because I NEVER use the default bridges in this game. The defaults are almost always hideous.

• Options
    And yes, you are right, just checked. If I use the Origin Bridge, there are nothing but my Bridge Officers...not a single random on the bridge. How strange.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Ideally we'd also be able to pick which bridge officers are used, so I never see mister potatohead. Sontar NO!
  • Options

Hmmm...I was unaware of that. Which would explain a lot because I NEVER use the default bridges in this game. The defaults are almost always hideous.

The way I understand it there are a certain number of Bridge officer spots on the bridge. For the default bridge I think there are 7. 2 for Engineering, 2 for Science and 3 for Tactical. In short If you have 3 Engineers 1 won't appear on the bridge. Your first Tactical is always going to be seated were a First Officer sits. I might be incorrect one some of the details but I believe this is how it basically works.

Also I have.had some luck with the Galaxy bridges and some of the larger Klingon bridges. Its smaller bridges like the defiant bridges that you are lucky to get 2 or 3 bridge officers to show up.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    Honestly, I would love it if I could fly my Sci Gorn's TSABC without having most of my crew being Romulan Republic NPCs. I mean, seriously, what do I have to do to get my old crew in the front and not manning the computers at the back?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    quit whining at least you have multiple bridges, and trophies. Play a Romulan sometime
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    Honestly, I would love it if I could fly my Sci Gorn's TSABC without having most of my crew being Romulan Republic NPCs. I mean, seriously, what do I have to do to get my old crew in the front and not manning the computers at the back?

It is depressing that the Romulan BOFFs are so much better than any other option, plus you can't put them in anything but civilian dress and that makes your bridge look... unprofessional.

Yet another reason to never go there.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User

Is that what causes the NPC takeover? Huh. Does using the default bridges also keep the Bridge Officers from hovering over their seats or are they just really afraid germs?
  • Options
    jayxanjayxan Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I have a lot of bridge officers. I should never have npc ones, but I usually have 2-3. And I have away team members as part of my bridge.

What I would also really like is to go down to Engineering to see my chief Engineer, and not some random person.
  • Options
    jslyn wrote: »

Is that what causes the NPC takeover? Huh. Does using the default bridges also keep the Bridge Officers from hovering over their seats or are they just really afraid germs?

For the most part yes. The positioning of the bridge officers at their stations is still not perfect but it is much better then most other bridges. You don't have that one random officer sitting on the floor instead of his chair with his feet going through the ground.

sstosig2.png
  • Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User

It is depressing that the Romulan BOFFs are so much better than any other option, plus you can't put them in anything but civilian dress and that makes your bridge look... unprofessional.

Yet another reason to never go there.

I've got mine in the Kobali armour rather than civilian dress, better than nothing but would be nice if you could get them in uniform
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    dd1m wrote: »
    I've got mine in the Kobali armour rather than civilian dress, better than nothing but would be nice if you could get them in uniform

Oh if we are there, I would like to use the Kobali bridge on my other ships please. It's basically a burial chamber.... and a very fancy one at that.

Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    1: I STILL use my old Odyssey. And out of all those seats and stations, only a select few are occupied. I am the type who employs the use of separate bridge team, and separate ground team, so as to make full use of space traits and ground traits. So that is a total of nine (9) officers. And never even once have they ALL been present around my Odyssey's Bridge at the same time, even though it has more than enough seats and stations to accommodate ALL of them.

2: And of those officers who do appear around my Bridge, at least two (2) will be random NPCs.

3: At for that matter, the officers do not appear at the same locations. Sometimes, a Tactical will be at a Science station. And the Helm officer is always different. There are only a few exceptions, such as Elisa Flores, who is always working around the massive display in the lower level. And my away team Medic, instead of working at a computer, he is more or less walking laps around the Bridge.

4: Does anyone remember the way the duty officer screen will allow you to assign a First Officer? Well, that fellow I chose to be my First Officer is NEVER sitting in the First Officer chair, and is frequently not even present at all.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Being able to customize the interior of your ship would make the roleplay values of this game better.
    "Helm Prepare Maneuver Circle Target Alpha, Tactical Prepare BFAW3 and mash Spacebar"

• Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    What annoys me to no end is seeing my Away Team BOffs on my bridge poking at buttons as if everyones to ignore them standing around in the M.A.C.O Gear Ive put on them. Everyone else is in the proper attire to be expected from someone on the actual Bridge of a Starship. WHY my Medic has to be on the bridge at all is beyond me. I dont understand why Department Heads couldnt somehow be tied into who you see on your Bridge. Or atleast some similar mechanic for that.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    quit whining at least you have multiple bridges, and trophies. Play a Romulan sometime
    whats worse is no matter what Tovan is always sat next to me which i hate.
    on 2 of my rommies he isn't my first officer.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    If bridges and ship interiors actually mattered in some way in this game, I could get behind fixing various issues like this. But since they don't, I prefer they spend their time on things that do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    If bridges and ship interiors actually mattered in some way in this game, I could get behind fixing various issues like this. But since they don't, I prefer they spend their time on things that do.

I would normally agree with you. However, theme and immersion and role play has always taken a back seat to "the things that do matter."

When it is the theme and immersion and the role play that draw most Star Trek players to this IP in the first place...you can't continue to tell those players that they must take a back seat. It is the fans of Star Trek who keeps this game alive. I'm not saying people who don't play this game because it's simply Star Trek do not contribute, on the contrary, but this is a problem that has been going on for quite some time now. It would be nice to see some of these problems fixed at least every great once in awhile.
  • Options
    So, check it out. I did some experimenting today and found out one of the reasons I had so few officers on my bridge was because I was using the same officers for my bridge skills as I was for my ground skills. SO when I made officers for ground completely different from the officers I use for space, it made 90% of the officers on even the Temple Bridge my actual Bridge Officers.

Give that a shot and see how it works for you. Works well for me and I think that is the missing equation here to filling up your bridge with the correct officers.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    I think this should be addressed. It should be your boffs on that bridge. Thankfully my Defiant/DS9 Pack Bridge doesn't have that issue.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I would love to be able to change the crews uniforms. Changes like this would be way better than more traits, equipment and abilitys. There is too much of that stuff anyways. Most of the bridges I tried are littered with randoms. The voyager bridge, for me anyways, always seems to get all boffs.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    themic609 wrote: »
    Being able to customize the interior of your ship would make the roleplay values of this game better.
    I would prefer to get rid of all the customization, if it meant that Cryptic could use ship interiors of your own ship to tell stories.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    This was something I suggested a while back, which would give us control of our ship crews (both placement and uniforms) AND make Cryptic money. A win-win. :)
    arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1193996/money-making-idea-complete-crew-customization
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    I think this should be addressed. It should be your boffs on that bridge. Thankfully my Defiant/DS9 Pack Bridge doesn't have that issue.
    This is by Cryptic design (for whatever reason). Somebody somewhere went and tested every single Bridge - in each one, there was always an unchanging amount of BOffs and Generic Randoms in various seats. Seems that Cryptic entirely dropped the ball with bridges.​​
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Ideally we'd also be able to pick which bridge officers are used, so I never see mister potatohead. Sontar NO!

Haha, you named yours Mr. Potatohead too! (I normally never treat BOFFs like that but I can't stand the look of that one.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    anonymous#2527 anonymous Member Posts: 10 New User
    edited September 2015
    > [quote]@somebob said:
    > chiyoumiku wrote: »
    >
    > I think this should be addressed. It should be your boffs on that bridge. Thankfully my Defiant/DS9 Pack Bridge doesn't have that issue.
    >
    >
    >
    > This is by Cryptic design (for whatever reason). Somebody somewhere went and tested every single Bridge - in each one, there was always an unchanging amount of BOffs and Generic Randoms in various seats. Seems that Cryptic entirely dropped the ball with bridges.​​[/quote]

That's interesting, because I tested out the theory the OP posted last...and he/she was right. Once I tested that theory, I found that sometimes there is not a single NPC on my bridge who was not a BOff. There seemed to be a 21% chance that the bridge would be all of your BOffs and nothing else. Especially with the smaller bridges. With the smaller bridges, that number climbed to around 87% or even higher.

So either the system has chanced since that "somebody" has tested it, or they flat out lied.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User

Indeed, but at least my KDF-allied Romulan main no longer has random Starfleet officers on her bridge ... *knocks on wood*
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

Haha, you named yours Mr. Potatohead too! (I normally never treat BOFFs like that but I can't stand the look of that one.)

I named mine "James Tuberous Krrk." (And yes, "Krrk" is the Rihan spelling of "Kirk.")