test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you use Shooter Mode?

2»

Comments

• anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    No, I don't use it. This game does not really need manual aiming as it uses auto-aiming at 'hardpoints' with a hit or miss system.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    Shooter mode is more effective, imo. Yes, you can miss shots if you don't aim, but it's more effective for me to turn using the mouse when going against swarms than using the keyboard. It's probably because I grew up playing Unreal Tournament, Doom, and other FPS / arena games.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    nepsthen wrote: »
    Shooter mode is more effective, imo. Yes, you can miss shots if you don't aim, but it's more effective for me to turn using the mouse when going against swarms than using the keyboard. It's probably because I grew up playing Unreal Tournament, Doom, and other FPS / arena games.

You can hold the right mouse button down while in RPG mode and achieve the same effect while still auto-aming.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    The perspective and motion of shooter mode nauseate me. I cannot look at it for more than about ten minutes before needing to hold back vomit.

I occasionally pop into shooter mode to take the right sniper shot. But other than that I completely avoid it and would be forced to stop playing the game if it were the primary mode.

You sound like you have motion sickness problems, most people do not have that issue.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I just use the zoom feature so you can target better. But I don't use the shooter mode. Since I hate that kind of game play. I tried it on STO and failed horrible on the missions. The zoom shoot is nice. As it helps boost your dps. And its nice to use with a sniper to open into a group.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I never use it. Its very limited and with a lot of lacking features not to mention the change of the control system (i wonder why). If i want to play a game with shooter mode, i will not be playing STO... lol. Honestly this game is not designed to use a system like shooter mode. I mean, it could be implemented but since all we know the lazyness of the devs, that never happened and i doubt it will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    Only when I'm flying a floater. Shooter mode actually makes controlling the things easier.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I always use Shooter Mode. I put my buffs in Tray 7 and use a spacebar bind to fire them. I put my Grenade (for my tac) on my thumb mouse, shield charge on my Mouse #5 and it works great. For my engineer, I use Mines in place of the grenades and the Cover Shield on Mouse 5.

It's all personal preference, but I cannot play ground combat at all in RPG mode.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Yes, on some characters.
    I always use Shooter Mode. I put my buffs in Tray 7 and use a spacebar bind to fire them. I put my Grenade (for my tac) on my thumb mouse, shield charge on my Mouse #5 and it works great. For my engineer, I use Mines in place of the grenades and the Cover Shield on Mouse 5.

It's all personal preference, but I cannot play ground combat at all in RPG mode.

That's very similar to what I do.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I would like to, but no, it is too clunky.
    I tried it but don't like it in this game. I even forgot what key to press to activate it, so that is how much I use it.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    gradii wrote: »
    The perspective and motion of shooter mode nauseate me. I cannot look at it for more than about ten minutes before needing to hold back vomit.

I occasionally pop into shooter mode to take the right sniper shot. But other than that I completely avoid it and would be forced to stop playing the game if it were the primary mode.

You sound like you have motion sickness problems, most people do not have that issue.

Only with a few specific games, not all of them and never from motion in real life. Worst was counterstrike.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    Shooter mode is awesome for floaters, but kinda sucky for everything else. Maybe it's because I suck at FPSes. Or, maybe it's because being able to hit things without manually aiming at them just feels way more natural in an MMO (in addition to just plain being better).

I used to use shooter mode pretty much exclusively after S4 hit, because I thought it felt more fun. But the drawbacks ultimately outweighed the advantages for me. TBH, part of me kind of wishes that the game had been designed around shooter mode from the start; then, it'd be easier to justify using it.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I use shooter mode when in combat, switch to RPG mode when out of combat. It works for me.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    Exclusively. It's vastly more fun than RPG mode IMO. I just wish it was a better shooter than it is.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    i cant imagine using anything other than shooter mode.

same thing for me, because i was a player of a war simulation game.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    I use it only on certain occasions, otherwise I mostly use rpg mode!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    I'd like to use it as well, but RPG just does it for me.
    Using tab to target, while buffing with the left mouse button straight off the tray, moving the camera with the right button, hitting fire and crouch with my side thumb buttons (deathadder), and using my index finger on the number keys for my attack abilitys (grenades,induction fields,secondary fire,etc.) all at the same time.
    Just something i got used to from different rpg's.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I used it on two occassion:

The mission involving Harry Kim's Kobali "brother". It's easier in shooter mode to hit those floor panel activators or whatever we call them.

During the Winter Event when fighting the invading snowmen. Since you can't use any powers beyond your snowball gun, I found it easier to play in shooter mode.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I do use shooter mode for things like the Flying High mission or the powerboard race. Also if I want to check out a new weapon without having to get in combat, I go to a combat-enabled area like Nimbus III or the Dyson ground battlezone and fire my weapon in shooter mode to see what happens.

Exactly. The ONLY other time I use Shooter Mode is during the Academy Event, if an enemy spawns behind a wall I can't pass. In that case, I'll switch to it and lob grenades that way. That often takes them out.

The only other time that I've wished to use it was in space during that stupid shuttle race mission in the Delta Quadrant. Gods, how I HATE that one! Shooter Mode would make it more playable, like the Flying High mission on Risa. In RPG mode, that one is a real PITA.

I do wish, however, that the view in both modes was first person, though, as I really dislike third person view in any game. If I want to look at my character, I can do that in inventory. I'd rather see the world from my character's perspective, I find it much more immersive.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    Yes, on all characters.
    I find its much easier to play in shooter mode than RPG, RPG I find is highly impractical especially considering how much more useful powers can be when you can switch targets rapidly to exactly the one you want.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No, this is an RPG.
    Shooter mode is awesome for floaters, but kinda sucky for everything else. Maybe it's because I suck at FPSes. Or, maybe it's because being able to hit things without manually aiming at them just feels way more natural in an MMO (in addition to just plain being better).

I used to use shooter mode pretty much exclusively after S4 hit, because I thought it felt more fun. But the drawbacks ultimately outweighed the advantages for me, so I switched back to RPG mode. TBH, part of me kind of wishes that the game had been designed around shooter mode from the start; then, it'd be easier to justify using it.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    I use it for exactly one thing: doing my Risa daily. Set auto-forward on and enable shooter mode, and you pretty much just point where you want to fly.

I've been playing FPS for 25 years. STO's shooter controls aren't the worst I've ever used. But it's up there. And that's sad, because I would LOVE to play away missions as if they were, say, Mass Effect.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster