test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Name a movie that could have been great, but got it all wrong.

Comments

• lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    American Sniper

What the he- oh wait! Only CONSERVATIVES liked that movie. What am I thinking...
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    -Godzilla (1998) - Wow, its been that long already?
    -Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Popularity aside, could have spent less time short cutting scenes.
    -Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - A decent movie but it could have been better written.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    What the he- oh wait! Only CONSERVATIVES liked that movie. What am I thinking...

It should have been a piece about PTSD, but it was a pseudo-rambo movie that the only real accurate part, was when the main character's squad came to relieve him and they started to quip about it smelling like TRIBBLE. Even the first scene was made up.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Dredd.

Mega City One is suppose to be a vast futuristic city, but all we got was one building.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    scarling wrote: »
    Dredd.

Mega City One is suppose to be a vast futuristic city, but all we got was one building.

Well... in that movie's defense... it took place in that building in the city, and it was basically a self contained city block type thing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... in that movie's defense... it took place in that building in the city, and it was basically a self contained city block type thing.

it was boring. Judge Dredd showed much more. I always thought if they made another or remade the original they could make a fantastic landscape with todays technology. The self contained city block, was mainly just shots of concrete walls.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    it was boring. Judge Dredd showed much more. I always thought if they made another or remade the original they could make a fantastic landscape with todays technology. The self contained city block, was mainly just shots of concrete walls.

Boring is a matter of opinion, so you are just as "right" as someone who says it was exciting. However, that point aside, the story of this movie was focused on one building, so that is the reason most of the movie took place in that one building, rather than showing more of the city. That is not an opinion, it is simply a fact.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Boring is a matter of opinion, so you are just as "right" as someone who says it was exciting. However, that point aside, the story of this movie was focused on one building, so that is the reason most of the movie took place in that one building, rather than showing more of the city. That is not an opinion, it is simply a fact.

Yes and they should have scraped the story. It did not do Judge Dredd (comic and original movie) any justice. The fact that people keep asserting that the story took place in one building doesn't matter one bit.
    This thread is mostly opinion. How about bring up something new instead of parroting other peoples comments.
    edited June 2015
    How about bring up something new instead of parroting other peoples comments.

The funny thing is, you are not the first person to say something like that to someone else. Meaning? You are not saying new, and are only parroting other people's comments.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    The funny thing is, you are not the first person to say something like that to someone else. Meaning? You are not saying new, and are only parroting other people's comments.

Yes every word in the dictionary has been said before. However its a fact that it wasn't said in this thread before.
    edited June 2015
    Yes every word in the dictionary has been said before. However its a fact that it wasn't said in this thread before.

OK, great. Now that we're done with that sillyness, and despite understanding why we didn't, I do agree it would have been nice to see more of MC1.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    OK, great. Now that we're done with that sillyness, and despite understanding why we didn't, I do agree it would have been nice to see more of MC1.

I just dont understand why you have to swoop in and be Captain Obvious. I guess I should have written a novel so everyone everywhere could know everything that I already do about the movie.

BTW because of the stinky script, there will be no Dredd 2. There will be no possibly of seeing mega city one. So yea, the script should have been scraped and that's where they got it completely wrong.
  • elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Starship Troopers.

The novel was a contemplation of the nature of duty, honor, and courage, and how those can be tested.

The movie (which to be fair started as something totally different, until someone noticed the similarities between their script and Heinlein's novel) took a big steaming dump on all of the above, then wiped with the laws of physics and the size of the galaxy. (Launching an asteroid strike from the far side of the galaxy? Really??) .

^^This!^^ So much this!! I read the original book in about 2 and a half hours. I loved it. Then I went to the movie and was so totally let down...They missed the whole point! On top of that, they did absolutely nothing with the sooo cooool suits of battle armor they wore.
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Also... I'll say The Dark Knight Rises. It wasn't terrible, but I still feel it missed the mark for what it *could* have been... and I love Christopher Nolan movies.

I agree, it wasn't terrible....but after "The Dark Knight"? To me (not a comic book reader, never have been) it was a very disappointing follow up to one of my favorite movies from the super hero genre. "The Dark Knight" was an amazing movie IMO and "The Dark Knight Rises" was just an ok movie :(

Qapla'!
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
    edited June 2015
    I just dont understand why you have to swoop in and be Captain Obvious. I guess I should have written a novel so everyone everywhere could know everything that I already do about the movie.

BTW because of the stinky script, there will be no Dredd 2. There will be no possibly of seeing mega city one. So yea, the script should have been scraped and that's where they got it completely wrong.

Just so we're clear, even though I agreed with you in my last post, you still want to argue?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Just so we're clear, even though I agreed with you in my last post, you still want to argue?

I'm not arguing. I just don't understand why you wish to waste time in this manner.
    edited June 2015
    I'm not arguing. I just don't understand why you wish to waste time in this manner.

You are the one that is keeping the "waste of time" going. 2 posts ago I agreed with you that it would have been nice to see more of MC1. Yet, you essentially ignored that, and wanted to go back to the "waste of time" discussion. That's on you, not me.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    You are the one that is keeping the "waste of time" going. 2 posts ago I agreed with you that it would have been nice to see more of MC1. Yet, you essentially ignored that, and wanted to go back to the "waste of time" discussion. That's on you, not me.

You keep talking, you could walk away whenever you want. You may have agreed, but you also pushed home that the script does in fact take place in a building.
    edited June 2015
    You keep talking, you could walk away whenever you want.

Sure I could. But you are the one complaining about a "waste of time", not me. I post on forums for entertainment, and you are entertaining. But if you feel like your time is being wasted, then like you just said, you can "walk away". I hope you won't though, for the reason I just mentioned.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Sure I could. But you are the one complaining about a "waste of time", not me. I post on forums for entertainment, and you are entertaining. But if you feel like your time is being wasted, then like you just said, you can "walk away". I hope you won't though, for the reason I just mentioned.

you do realized i was talking about your time. not mine.

I never said "waste of time" like you pointed out in another post.
    edited June 2015
    you do realized...

Ah yes, I "do realized". I'm glad we understand each other :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Ah yes, I "do realized". I'm glad we understand each other :)

Oh boy. Now it's down to this. I accidentally typed something I didn't mean to. How will I ever live with myself.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    a BIG ONE

JURASSIC WORLD

I'm joking... ima go watch it today...
    edited June 2015
    a BIG ONE

JURASSIC WORLD

I'm joking... ima go watch it today...

It's not a perfect movie, but I did enjoy it more than the last 2. I also went in with lower expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised. Hope you enjoy :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Dark Knight Rises. Holy Craptastic Cinema, Batman. That film feel so short in a big way. The misinterprtation of Bane, the flimsy 99% storyline, the "Not-so-catlike" Catwoman, the god awful attempt to shoehorn in Robin by making him literally named Robin, the shoddy ending with Bruce just ditching Gotham by pretending to be dead only to show up in Italy in the open with NO disguise and somehow no one recognized him and the terrible Talia Ah Ghul reveal that had no real impact on the film at all.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited June 2015
    Planet of the Apes 2001
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    It's not a perfect movie, but I did enjoy it more than the last 2. I also went in with lower expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised. Hope you enjoy :)

Just got home from watching it. It was spectacular, well worth the 9bucks... But could've been better.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Both JJ Treks
    Godzilla 1998 - The one in NY.
    Robocop reboot
    The Last Pirate of the Caribbean
    The Lone Ranger
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    Godzilla 1998 - The one in NY.

I have my own personal headcanon on the 98 Godzilla, especially since Zilla was accepted as a seperate Kaiju into the Toho Pantheon of Godzilla monsters.

Misidentification.

Think about it. The fisherman who identified the Kaiju as Godzilla ONLY saw the dorsal plates. Never actually saw the whole Kaiju. How many Kaiju have dorsal plates? Counting Zilla... Two. So he identified it as Godzilla because that was the only Kaiju known to have dorsal plates at the time.

And to explain how "easy" it was to kill Zilla... note WHERE the missiles hit when Zilla was tangled up in the suspension bridge's cables. The Neck. What goes through the neck? Vital arteries and veins such as the Jugular. Doesn't matter how big or tough any creature is, severing the Jugular is a death sentence, and having missiles hit BOTH sides of the neck would do that on both sides.

So there you have it. My personal headcanon on Godzilla, and why he died so easily. But that doesn't mean the movie is saved from this thread. It was kinda meh.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Dark Knight Rises. Holy Craptastic Cinema, Batman. That film feel so short in a big way. The misinterprtation of Bane,

Curious, not knocking you or anything just genuinely curious, but how do you see Ban as misinterpreted? He was definitely interpreted: English, not Hispanic, breathing mask not luchadore mask. But I felt they got several things right, most especially brains AND brawn. Most other portrayals in movies and TVs show him as a brawn but not a brain. In fact, I recall thinking when he first appeared in the comics that he was the first Rogues Gallery member I could think of that had both brains and brawn. Usually it is one or the other. The closest I could think of was Harvey Dent, but he was lacking in the brawn.

Now the rest of the film I did find to be somewhat short of the bar set by the first two films, but for me it was passable.