test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP broke yet Again

Comments

• rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    To be honest that was my first suggestion to them a long time ago.

Some items in the game have a reduced affect in PVP. If all items had that built in then it would be easier for the coders to make a change without affecting both sides. My idea of a separate server wouldn't work. It would end up being like transferring a toon to tribble.
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Around the first few seasons of STO we used to be able to keep a constant up time on cannon abilities. In PVP you would find people cloaking and activating two copies of rapid fire then decloaking. They changed the mechanics of the game so you cannot do the double tap trick. The amount of time rapid fire is active was reduced to 10 seconds so you cannot keep a constant flow of rapid fire. There will always be a 5 second delay. The change came about due to a large number of complaints in Karrat. Pve would go there for the mission while Kdf would go there for PVP. For a short amount of time the map was shut down due to the complaints and eventually the already mentioned changes were made. Again.. this is just an example. As stated in this post my argument was not PVE vs PVP. It was separating the two to avoid the constant changes and conflicts with content. :)

Not relevant changes.

1) you stated Canons used to be able to kill people in seconds. Which was true. So how does having back to back or even a full 15s of up time matter ? (the changes that killed that game style... started with Tac team, and recently with the onslaught of rep/gear/trait super heals ect, its simply harder to kill anyone anymore. You need more burst then canons could provide.)

2) Double tap has nothing to do with canons. Last I checked Beam overload was a beam skill.

3) This was 100% NOT changed because of Kerrat. It was changed because at the time I believe it was Snix who was fixing the terribly broken FAW (may have been another dev my memory is hazy on the who)... anyway it was changed so that beam and canon skills would be closer in terms of timing mechanics. (I am not saying I agree there morons... I'm simply saying your assertion that it had to do with PvP is incorrect)

4) I can't say I ever remember Kerrat being shut down... ACCEPT for the DR launch and the level 6 0 bump at which time it was closed because no one bothered to create a level 60 instance. (the 50-59 old instance worked fine)

As for seperating... I don't disagree... we are simply looking at it differently. IMO its the only way to save PvP from the terrible PvE mechanics that will never be corrected because the average person playing PvE has no wish for balance or even challenge. They want to complete speed runs, they don't want to respawn, and they don't really want to have to think either.

PvP should be split off and treated in the same way Anet treats PvP in Guild Wars 2. It would be the only way to ever have proper PvP in this game. Of course we all know it won't happen.

I do have to pipe up though when anyone suggests PvP has ever been a reason anything at all has ever been changed. Cryptic has a very specific business model. They release power creep. They do it to sell new stuffs to mainly PvE players far to often... so one thing they do is quite on purpose release things that are over powered to the point of being broken. (around 1 thing every 3-4 releases). This is to drive sales and if you go over the most broken gear releases for the past 3 years you will find they almost always happen 3-4 weeks before the end of a Fiscal Quarter. They plan to "nerf" or fix those items 5-6 months after their release. They don't do it because the PvP players Cry about them (although at one time many intelligent players still played and would complain), they do it because its part of the model they have created. After people move on to other things for a few sales cycles they repeat. It is very predictable, just a FYI we are very much due for an UBER lobi set next. With a fix for the broken cool down reset on contractual set. As well as the newest set being sub par... the next set is going to be pure cheese bs level of broken. It will be fixed around Nov.
    edited June 2015
    To be honest that was my first suggestion to them a long time ago.

Some items in the game have a reduced affect in PVP. If all items had that built in then it would be easier for the coders to make a change without affecting both sides. My idea of a separate server wouldn't work. It would end up being like transferring a toon to tribble.

Its one solution. I think they need to go a step further. Make PvP really just a mini game. Remove it completely from the gear/ship/trait power creep. The way GW2 PvP works, where you have Free PvP only gear and that is the only gear you can use... that way you can have something much more balanced. It would also have nothing to do with PvE. Rhen the majority of the PvE crowd that likes to blame PvP for every nerf can understand its all by design and has nothing to do with PvP but with making $. (I don't mean you by the way bashing the nerfing PvP players has been a constant for 6 years)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Time for PVP to go away for ever. PVP has ruined more games then any other factor with one group or another screaming bloody murder that such and such is overpowered compared to my shiney shiney or screaming Whaa Whaa there is no balence (insert whiner reason why). Only game I have seen that has gotten a good mix is Neverwinter with distinct seperate PVP gear that is pretty useless in PVE.
    I feel the best thing for sTO is to spin off PVP onto RedShirt as a seperate game and leave it there and let the PVPers brawl it out and have ZERO influence on the rest of the game.

That's a curious sentiment that always used to leave me befuddled in my time with STO. It's not a sentiment that I was all that familiar with until coming back to STO. Now, I haven't played every MMO out there by any means, and even though I've been playing MMOs since 1997 with UO - well, even with all the MMOs I have played, they're just a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of games that have used MMO in their title in some manner.

Yes though, that's a curious sentiment. PvP ruins games because PvPers are interested in balance. I can't think of a single game that I've played where an interest in balance has ruined the game. Balance tends to bring about a smoother game - a game that's going to last longer. Many games out there have teams devoted to maintaining balance...cause, well, it's a good thing.

Of course, definitely of course, there have been some folks in various games that stumbled across something that made it past QA. There though, well, even with some complaints about developers nerfing somebody's beloved exploit of bugs or the unintended effects of various abilities/gear/whatever, it would have usually been silly to point at the PvP folks. Cause balance was generally an overall concern of the majority of the playerbase.

Now with STO on the other hand, well, that's not quite the way it has gone, eh? Hell, if we step back a moment to look at the comparison of a typical MMO and STO...

Typical MMO: Carrot on the Stick. There is content progression where more powerful shinies are locked behind more difficult content. There can be all sorts of powercreep taking place, and two folks at the same level can wield wildly different amounts of power based on the content they have played through. Every so often, an expansion comes along and resets all of that briefly so it can happen over and over again. Each time, it is the same deal of more powerful shinies locked behind more difficult content. There is character progression, content progression, and gear progression. It goes along as it goes along.

STO: I'm not even sure what to call it. There isn't much in the way of content progression. There are more powerful shinies around every corner, but there's not any content requiring those shinies. Hell, the content itself usually faces the nerfbat in being made easier and easier as time goes along...requiring those shinies even less and less. Yet, it's a game continuously dropping out even more powerful doohickeys. Doesn't quite make sense, eh?

I used to joke back in the day that Cryptic was intent upon making STO into something akin to a Facebook game or the like. The sad truth of the matter is that the actual goal was to make a game for the folks that can't even handle a game like Candy Crush...cause it's too hard for them.

That's what has ruined STO. It's ruined PvE. It's ruined PvP. Hell, it's ruined the forums.

This talk of PvP folks whining about balance? That's a lark, I mean, how would one even notice it amongst all the whining about how hard everything is - how long everything takes - buried beneath all the sheer amount of welfare/entitlement complaints day in and day out? It's just a trip, imho.

But whatever, eh? In the end, that's the intended audience for STO. Cryptic has made that clear in the past. STO's not a game for gamers - it's a pastime for the worst of the Star Trek fans out there. Okay, they just said fans...I added the worst part myself. Yet with some of the complaints out there from folks claiming to be fans, have to wonder if they ever watched a single episode or movie. Cause I've got no idea where they got the idea that any of the heroes of the shows/movies were just bullies flying through the universe slaughtering foes left, right, and center without a single challenge. Yet that's the game they're looking to play so they can be the hero? What is this...some kind of Make-a-Wish Foundation adventure?

But hey, without the special kind of derp exhibited by players there...how on Earth could Cryptic make any money with the game, yeah? So nothing is going to change in that manner...the game will keep getting worse.

They should remove PvP from the game.
    They should remove any difficult content from the game.

Folks that manage to login...there should be fireworks, cake, and punch...cause those are the kind of special folks this special game is made for...
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Forum PVP has always been the best kind of PVP..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    cannons op? says everyone not smart enough to run TT, EPtS, and have a shield resistance over 20%. and the only change for cannons since 1.2, i mean come on, why count anything before 1.2, is that some ships come with 5 fore weapons now, which drastically buffs any cannon style build.
    edited June 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Forum PVP has always been the best kind of PVP..

We really don't have any other Trek PvP these days.
    edited June 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    We really don't have any other Trek PvP these days.

How about some PBeM Star Trek PvP? Any of these groups do that?

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/pbm_list/startrek.html

Has to be better than what Cryptic offers.

Hell, dressing up and running around the kitchen going pew pew while making phaser sounds would be better...
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

best place to get a trek fix if you need one, there is even a rebalanced and overhaul add-on by yours truly, crafted to my extremely high standards of balance.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    hey virus

two questions:

1- do you even think half the folks playing MMOs today could even handle how pvp was done in UO? LOL!!! I cant even imagine the crying that would take place if say .. STO implemented the pvp system that UO had?

I think you missed out on mana dumps and lumberjacks, but yah. Trammel is for the weak.
    edited June 2015
    Meh, Firefox crashed...eating the reply. I remember when Firefox wasn't a piece of TRIBBLE...meh.

Regarding #1, the much shorter reply I guess...nope, couldn't picture anything like a UO/SB/etc thing going on here. Thing was, in coming to STO, lol...I'd moved out of that phase and enjoyed STO for the casual PvP that it once offered. Just some pew pew fun to be had, win or lose...it wasn't the cat barfing a box of crayons on the screen in some whatever's not working as intended spamfest that it became.

Regarding #2, I didn't do a farewell post - but yeah, I uninstalled and won't be back as long as the current community manager is still employed. Hell, I wouldn't have uninstalled had there been a mea culpa about it - posted out of frustration or whatever, that I could understand - but yeah, it didn't go down that way.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Regarding #2, I didn't do a farewell post - but yeah, I uninstalled and won't be back as long as the current community manager is still employed. Hell, I wouldn't have uninstalled had there been a mea culpa about it - posted out of frustration or whatever, that I could understand - but yeah, it didn't go down that way.

I all but stopped by Forum PvP'ing.

What happened? I feel like I missed something.
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, the Trammel/Felucca thing was a major /facepalm...most folks I knew left around that time. Some went to EQ, some to AC, bunch ended up playing HLDM...heh...some moved later over to AO.

It was fun running around as a PKK on Chessie and hunting Reds that were hunting farmers...oh well.
  • rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    Its one solution. I think they need to go a step further. Make PvP really just a mini game. Remove it completely from the gear/ship/trait power creep. The way GW2 PvP works, where you have Free PvP only gear and that is the only gear you can use... that way you can have something much more balanced. It would also have nothing to do with PvE. Rhen the majority of the PvE crowd that likes to blame PvP for every nerf can understand its all by design and has nothing to do with PvP but with making $. (I don't mean you by the way bashing the nerfing PvP players has been a constant for 6 years)

Honestly the cannons were just one example and yes you could double tap and decloak. It isn't much different from the current rapid proc on weapons when they kick in. Karrat has been taken down a few times since season 1. I know because I used to go out there and test builds in a defiant. It is when I started to learn PVP. There was always that one guy that would drop a bunch of torpedoes and one shot most players then cloak and run. I went in there with an entire fleet of cloaked defiants once. It was funny to watch the reaction.

The point was to give an example. Time goes by quickly so I don't remember all the detailed changes either. The point I was making is both sides and the decisions made affect each other. The only way to fix it is to separate the two mechanics some how. I think we are all in agreement of that part anyway?
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    don't you worthless, p.o.s. pve players have anything better to do than troll some poor guy trying to get answers? OH WAIT! that's right... pve is so much a joke, its SOOO ****ing easy to do, its so mindless now after all the power-sprint.. that .. whats the point of playing now right? why else troll some poor guy trying to get an answer after a pvp match..

Christ, I am so sick of reading this sort of b.s., every god damn time some guy posts up in pvp wondering what the hell happened to them, got their butt kicked by something new, just venting some frustration and trying to get some answers... then you stupid pve trolls come pouring in acting like your actually protecting something.. LOL what? PVE!?!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited June 2015
    Honestly the cannons were just one example and yes you could double tap and decloak. It isn't much different from the current rapid proc on weapons when they kick in. Karrat has been taken down a few times since season 1. I know because I used to go out there and test builds in a defiant. It is when I started to learn PVP. There was always that one guy that would drop a bunch of torpedoes and one shot most players then cloak and run.

The point was to give an example. Time goes by quickly so I don't remember all the detailed changes either. The point I was making is both sides and the decisions made affect each other. The only way to fix it is to separate the two mechanics some how. I think we are all in agreement of that part anyway?

Your right we agree on the solution to a point. IMO it can never be fixed with a half way measure. It needs to be removed completely from the current completely broken game. No doffs No traits No Rep No MK 14 No set gear. Anything less that only removes a handful of the bad design, doesn't create a game worth coming back to for 95% of the people that have already left.

I don't mean to belabour the point at all, just have to say though on the kerrat thing. I honestly don't remember them ever turning it off. They where slow creating a level 60 zone, honestly that is the only time I ever remember not being able to enter Kerrat... and trust me in the first 2-3 years of the game my /played time was high that it was something to be embarrassed of not proud. (95% of my time was spent in Kerrat back then) When talking about "changed for PvP' stuff... I think you can stop after 1.2. When they changed the resists, engi teams, added hazards ect. At that point the Devs working at Cryptic at that time perhaps did consider PvP... as they believed balancing the game around PvP would lead to a balanced PvE game. Pretty much all the developers since have either had different ideas, or have had to follow a different development plan.

Anyway ya... split PvP and PvE... not because of the crazy idea that Cryptic "nerfs" anything of the good of PvP. Split them because Cryptic is addicted to 1 month power creep cycles that don't support a fun PvP game.
    edited June 2015
    kal vas flam

Heh, it's hard to tell at times how much some of the old stories are seen with rosy glasses, nostalgia, and the rest...or...if things were just that damn epic. I lean toward most of them being just that damn epic. :D
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lol KDF getting faction revamp in 2021.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Time for PVP to go away for ever. PVP has ruined more games then any other factor with one group or another screaming bloody murder that such and such is overpowered compared to my shiney shiney or screaming Whaa Whaa there is no balence (insert whiner reason why). Only game I have seen that has gotten a good mix is Neverwinter with distinct seperate PVP gear that is pretty useless in PVE.
    I feel the best thing for sTO is to spin off PVP onto RedShirt as a seperate game and leave it there and let the PVPers brawl it out and have ZERO influence on the rest of the game.

Lameassed antisocial PvE douchebag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Someone else earlier said it right. PVP can't be broke yet again if it got never fixed to begin with. It's been broken for a long time. For several seasons as a matter of fact. DR just nuked the dry bones of the PVP Horse.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    snoge00f wrote: »
    lol KDF getting faction revamp in 2021.

You cant deny it. Cryptic/PWE is the best company out there when it comes to revamps!

On that note, when will we see a revamped federation tutorial?
    :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Awe yes uo was the best pvp game ever Mage vs Mage duels old school before the armor change and faster casting and faster cast recovery i was king then chad and cole got better then me after it and were able to take me out. field fight hands down was much fun use to wreck peeps.

When mystic came out boom vaper made a mystic ninja fencing mage was lulz insta kill anyone if i didn't miss the armor ignore with my leafblade. Fun times.

I forgot the name of the big white axe but you could one shot any one with it using Bushido lightning strike with lumber jacking and how long did it take them to fix that not long at all. Most broken stuff in uo got fixed fairly fast. This game you can still one shot 3-5 people with neutron torp spread 3 haha cryptic you so funny.
  • omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I gotta tell ya this quick story, I know you will like it,

there was like poison crafting in the game, and carpentry-

anyways.. so I get wacked by some red guy and Im running around trying to find a wandering monk, I bump into a guy that can actually speak ghost, hes super cools tell me to follow him to his house cause his wife plays and can res, so I go and they have a pair of medium size houses just perfectly placed, gal comes out, pop goes the res, they offer me armor and gear, I pass on it- at this time I was pretty established in the game, loads of back up gear in the bank, getting rich, got a house, vendor, mining, etc etc

so I just sit there talking with this man and wife couple for like 25 minutes, anyways- the guy drops a wodden box on the ground, tells me to open it and not to worry- no matter what happens his wife will rez me, I picked it up, opened it and BOOM I blew up

second later im rezed by the wife, we laugh and here he comes to tell me his wifes got an alt that's a poison crafter I want to say (its been years, this was back in 98-99 hard to remember at this point details) ANYWAYS so she logs in her house pops back out and shes red LOL I mean red name all that, and she passes me over 4 of those boxes, they tell me to keep one on me at all times and the next time I get killed, the killer will get a surprise

so later the week, I give my buddy chad 2 boxes, tell him the story over the phone, and we both just roll around for a couple days with these things in our inventory:)

I couldn't believe it, no one attacked me

for like 2 god damn weeks NO ONE attacked me

its the longest, damn stretch EVER in the time I played that game that no one tried to TRIBBLE with me, I was so confused about it all and just wanted to see what would happen when the killer opened the box right? lol

again, weeks go by, by now I have totally forgetten I had this stupid box on me in the first place, anyways, so im minning, me and chad had a pair of small, miserable houses in that GIANT TRIBBLE swamp towards the south west of the map, it would take forever zig sagging through the swamp just to get over to the mountain to mine, anyways- all our neighbors I swear to god were all red LOL, so we got attacked often,

but ya, so one day, im minning, red guy on horse decked out in armor pops into the mine, we both stand there staring at each other for like a minute not moving.. LOL I type "HI" out comes his sword, I try and make a dash for it, he cuts me down, LOL so I see all my ore being moved off my corpse as im standing there as a ghost, I see my stacks of pickaxes hes taking, and then just like that I see that ****ing box move over to him,

I was sitting back in my chair with a pissed look on my face.. but the second...

I saw that god damn box move over to him...

it was like I just won the lottery! I jumped up so fast from my computer my chair flew across the room and I was HOLDING THE SIDES OF MY MONTIER LOL!!!!! just ****ING SCREAMING with the biggest smile on my face.. "OPEN THE BOX YOU ****ER!!! OPEN IIITTT!!!!"

LOL!! oh.. Christ, makes me laugh so hard just telling this ****ing story,

BOOM!!! goes the box and 1 second later we are both just standing over our corpses together side by side LOL

I say "**** you, serves you right"

he replies "**** you"

AND THEN DASHES OFF TO GO GET A REZ

I charged back to my house as a ghost, (this was my mining toon named Alucard's Slave- I know, not very original) cause the second I get back to my house I can swap toons fast to my main toon Alucard

(for those that don't know, Ultima Online, if you logged off in the map anywhere, it took a couple minutes for the game to log your toon, so you couldn't log back in fast UNLESS you logged off in town in a hotel OR IF YOU HAD A HOUSE, then logging back in was FAST-)

so anyways I come peeling out of my house with my main, already decked out in armor, on my horse riding hard back to the mine

JUST
    IN
    TIME

to see that **** **** standing over his corpse picking everything back up

sweet........swwweeeeeeeeetttt revenge is all I can tell you, that sexy, just .. Im going to take my time with you revenge LOL

HE came back for his corpse like 7 times, I just kept killing him over and over and over and over it was awesome LOL

anyways, had to share that story with ya,

the other part of the explosion box story is months later my buddy chad was cleaning out his bank in britania and forget that he had one of the bomb boxes and blew himself up taking like 6 people with him that were standing next to him at the bank LOL!!!

ahhh, **** ultima online LOL!!!
    anyways:)

I use to set those boxes on the ground full of candles just to trololol was so funny to see people go omg a box of goodies boom haha. Also casting blade spirits in town before guards killed them and they didn't flag you let them kill someone and it flagged them to you when they died get free stuff :P like a full plate valorite suit from the smiths!
  • grandpadxxgrandpadxx Member Posts: 342
    edited June 2015
    " PvP broke yet again "

Its never fixed, but so bad as now it has never been.

btw. Hi Snog o/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    T'lilu SCI. / Dxxdavid TAK. / STO Inner Circle
    *** R.I.P. ***
  • laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'll make one last try to make someone aknowledge the broken state of Plasma explosion consoles in PvP.

Then, I'll follow sharx's advice to behave like a customer, aka don't give a single f anymore about suggesting changes and let the broken mechanics do the work of killing the game.

I mean they are doing it already. PvErs do not even imagine how ridiculously broken OP stuff are ruining them.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.