test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Greatest Speech Ever - Watch it! (Inspirational)

dukhattdukhatt Member Posts: 236 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Howdy great peeps,

Here is the best speech ever made, at least in my opinion.
It inspired me to say the least - it should be watched be everyone..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo
(If the video doesn't work for your country, click any of the links in the description)

If you watched this & felt no emotion,
congratulations - you've been depraved of your humanity!

Also, keep up the positive vibes ;)

Best regards,
Duk
Post edited by dukhatt on

Comments

• Options
    floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dukhatt wrote: »
    Howdy great peeps,

(If the video doesn't work for your country, click any of the links in the description)

Best regards,
    Duk

Not to pick on you or anything, but.........how is this related to the game?at all?

Or related with star trek in general?:confused:
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not to pick on you or anything, but.........how is this related to the game?at all?

Or related with star trek in general?:confused:

This has everything to do with Star Trek & it's ideals.
  • Options
    marvin152marvin152 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wow.. this is truly an inspirational video. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This better not be Shia Labeouf again.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015

That's fine, but this specific forum is only for discussing this specific game. This forum is not even for discussing general Trek topics, outside of this specific game. That being the case, this thread actually belongs in Ten Forward:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    marvin152 wrote: »
    Wow.. this is truly an inspirational video. Thanks for sharing!
    No problem at all.
    scarling wrote: »

It is not.. this time .. ;)
    That's fine, but this specific forum is only for discussing this specific game. This forum is not even for discussing general Trek topics, outside of this specific game. That being the case, this thread actually belongs in Ten Forward:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129

Indeed I placed it wrong.
    Oh well..
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    its ironic that he will always be remembered by history for his silent movies hey
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2015

No, it's politics.

I suspect that this is nothing more than another "clever" attempt to troll GD, and stir up a s***storm.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm guessing it's Obama, or some equally vapid left-wing golden child.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler?
    Just because it's black and white doesn't mean its silent.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Howdy great peeps,

Best regards,
    Duk

inspirational? try hypnotic. its full of politics the constant use of the word soldier, the uniform the stupid tash, its clearly meant to be a dig at adolph hitler. its easily troll bait.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cygnusx555cygnusx555 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    keeping with the spirit of the cosmos I think "the pale blue dot" by carl sagan is also something to think about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5dlbCh8lY
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    inspirational? try hypnotic. its full of politics the constant use of the word soldier, the uniform the stupid tash, its clearly meant to be a dig at adolph hitler. its easily troll bait.

The character played by Charlie Chaplain is mistaken for the Hitler figure in the movie, and in order to escape, needs to address the SOLDIERS will are waiting to be addressed by their leader, so the use of the word Soldier is plot driven. He's telling the soldiers to change the direction that the dictator has been leading them in.

The Great Dictator
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    The character played by Charlie Chaplain is mistaken for the Hitler figure in the movie, and in order to escape, needs to address the SOLDIERS will are waiting to be addressed by their leader, so the use of the word Soldier is plot driven. He's telling the soldiers to change the direction that the dictator has been leading them in.

The Great Dictator

the problem here is that a soldier follows orders, no matter how dispotic the order is. if a soldier can not follow orders he may as well be made as target practice at the end of a range. soldiers have to do a lot of horrible things when ordered and as its stated, truth is the first casualty of war. so telling them to change is like encouraging soldiers to become traitors. i dont see what the point is in it.

as for the hitler look alike, i think that was on purpose and i really do think it was a dig at hitler, sort of joke if you like.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    PhaserReign77PhaserReign77 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Howdy great peeps,

Best regards,
    Duk

As Great as that is... I think I like this speech and imagery better. This to me represent the federation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlXH2I2Mes
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm guessing it's Obama, or some equally vapid left-wing golden child.

probably would scare you back into your fallout shelter
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    probably would scare you back into your fallout shelter
    I don't have one, though there's still time to get building.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    the problem here is that a soldier follows orders, no matter how dispotic the order is. if a soldier can not follow orders he may as well be made as target practice at the end of a range. soldiers have to do a lot of horrible things when ordered and as its stated, truth is the first casualty of war. so telling them to change is like encouraging soldiers to become traitors. i dont see what the point is in it.

as for the hitler look alike, i think that was on purpose and i really do think it was a dig at hitler, sort of joke if you like.
    It's more like a call for more conscience. And no, if you have seen the movie, you should have realized that the speech at the end is not for fun. He makes fun of Hitler on many other occasions in the movie (which was made before all the barbarity TRIBBLE have done where known).

Even in war, soldiers should refuse to execute orders which are against the Geneva Convention for example. Mr. Chaplin brings forward the argument that even a soldier should stay human and not become a monster as even todays soldiers seem to become so many times...

But that's not the main point of his speech. It's about overcoming hate and deadheartedness against each other and how society could be beneficial for everyone. It's basicly a statement for a better humanity, how things could be if people wouldn't prefer to kill each other.

It is Star Trekk par excellence imo.
    That's the basic idea of Star Trek that makes it different from other Sci Fi universes, but sadly most people seem to fail to see that. (even Cryptics devs, lol)

It is indeed one of the greates speeches ever... sadly too few people know or understand it.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Howdy great peeps,

Best regards,
    Duk

It's funny, without clicking the link I pondered "I wonder if it could possibly be greater than Charlie Chaplain's speech at the end of The Great Dictator?" Then I clicked the link. :D
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's funny, without clicking the link I pondered "I wonder if it could possibly be greater than Charlie Chaplain's speech at the end of The Great Dictator?" Then I clicked the link. :D

i figured it was either the chaplain speech or the mark antony speech.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Did you watch the movie, read the article I linked, or figure that out all on your own? :rolleyes:
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    and then we invented government to have humans organise humans, because humans cant organise themselves, and to provide liberty and prosperity and stability to those who need it...

just to get surprised when all they do is ensure only they have liberty, only those they choose have prosperity, and only those who benefit them are protected.

and you wonder why intelligent life never visits earth?
    humans cant even be consistently stupid. they have to be utterly insanely internally contradictory, as they are being stupid.

Then it is time for the machines to take over. They will certainly do better than the politicians we currently have.
  • Options
    yreodred wrote: »

It's more like a call for more conscience. And no, if you have seen the movie, you should have realized that the speech at the end is not for fun. He makes fun of Hitler on many other occasions in the movie (which was made before all the barbarity TRIBBLE have done where known).

Even in war, soldiers should refuse to execute orders which are against the Geneva Convention for example. Mr. Chaplin brings forward the argument that even a soldier should stay human and not become a monster as even todays soldiers seem to become so many times...

But that's not the main point of his speech. It's about overcoming hate and deadheartedness against each other and how society could be beneficial for everyone. It's basicly a statement for a better humanity, how things could be if people wouldn't prefer to kill each other.

It is Star Trekk par excellence imo.
    That's the basic idea of Star Trek that makes it different from other Sci Fi universes, but sadly most people seem to fail to see that. (even Cryptics devs, lol)

It is indeed one of the greates speeches ever... sadly too few people know or understand it.

Well said my friend.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Until I saw the replies I totally assumed it was one of Picard's speeches. (didnt check the link)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."