test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Name a game that could have been great, but got it all wrong

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Elite mode: Don't say Star Trek Online

I have two. Archeage and Warfarm...wait I meant Warframe.

Archeage had a lot of great ideas. Strong crafting focused gear growth, sailing, housing, and flyers. I'm sure I'm forgetting even more. But between the P2W of their cash shop, the gap between f2p and sub players, bots, and few other mistakes I don't have high hopes for it.

Warframe, some people say they wish STO' ground combat more like Neverwinter's. I would rather see it more like this game (after an INSANELY high level of refining). What really screwed it up for me? The crack I made earlier about Warfarm is no joke. That is pretty much whole game and even then it would not be such a big deal if you did not have to worry about the host dropping or your FPS hitting -2 when your team is filled with laggy powers.

I would bring up SWTOR but my Chief Medical Officer says my heart can't take an other rant over how bad that game is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    Star Trek Online

/10char
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Star Trek Online

/10char

You failed Elite Mode. Next time try out Advanced. They nerfed it so anyone can beat it., even you.
    edited June 2015
    Ya said name a game... so I did... :P
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Old school, but Sierra Online's Lighthouse: The Dark Being. I was seriously creeped out throughout the thing as they built up a story suggesting this terrifying boogieman from another dimension could be around any turn. Then the resolution was so incredibly silly it just ruined the whole thing.

Starship Titanic. So much potential, I mean Douglas Adams and Terry Gilliam teamed up. And some parts really were incredible, including the 1920s look of the ship. But ultimately it was a weak showing with some really annoying parts, and a buggy program.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Mass Effect 3
    Star Trek - legacy
    Star Trek - ps2 one - can't remember the name
    JtaDmwW.png
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    100% Star Trek Online, hands down.
    From the very premise of Star Trek (which was completely missunderstood), over how Starships work to the trashy FX, Cryptic made everything just wrong.
    Star Trek has so much potential to tell good stories, STO only shows war and rewards killing everything in the players path. I think the very idea of creating a Star Trek MMO is basicly wrong. A open world/sandbox Single player RPG would have been way better. (With emphasis on free play and a advanced exploration engine)
    Just my very personal opinion.

(I never cared much about elite modes.:))
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    skipping the obvious here...

black & white. needing to redo the 30 minute tutorial on every playthrough, needy villagers that required an obscene amount of micro-management, pets that learnt bad habits from a single misclick of the mouse... the list goes on and on. one of the most looked forward to games of its time turned out to be the greatest disappointment.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Have to agree on Mass Effect 3. The concept that your choices make a difference in the end? Thrown out about halfway through. You couldn't get off the rails at the end, even if you'd disproved the Catalyst's contention by bringing peace between the geth and quarians. (I always do that; when I leave Rannoch, synthetic and organic are rebuilding a world together.) And it wouldn't have been that difficult to add that in as an option - if you've saved them both, you should have an option to communicate to the Reapers that the old solution is no longer necessary, and have them withdraw and open negotiations. But no, it's control them, destroy them, or meld everybody into one happy mass and remove all differentiation.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Makes the strongest case I can think of for the argument that the games of today can't match their predecessors in terms of depth or gameplay; because all the time, money, and disk space, get blown on the beautiful environments, physics engines, and ultra realistic characters.

It was an OK game, and I did enjoy it; but as a Deus Ex title it should have been so much more than it was.

And of course, it's ending was even worse than ME3's.
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3

Now hold on just a mome- you know what, I'm not going to start a nerdy Mass Effect flame war when over half the people here don't know what it is. Keelah se'lai
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Mass Effect 3
    Star Trek - legacy
    Star Trek - ps2 one - can't remember the name

Legacy on PC wasn't too bad, especially since you could mod it.

Which PS2 game? There were a couple I can think of right off the top of my head.
    Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
    Star Trek Shattered Universe

Anyways...
    MechWarrior Online.
    Yes its nice to see another MechWarrior game, but its basically World of Tanks with mechs, and throws rookie players into the deep end right off the bat. How can rookies learn if they get picked off by veterans?
    lessley00 wrote:
    Now hold on just a mome- you know what, I'm not going to start a nerdy Mass Effect flame war when over half the people here don't know what it is. Keelah se'lai
    I personally think gameplay was great, and the addition of the Omni Blade was nice, but the ending was kinda... wut?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Final Fantasy VIII.

It had a lot of good ideas and concepts, but is just a MESS in the end, to put it nicely.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Star Trek: Armada II. - Its only saving grace was it was very easy to mod.

MechWarrior Online - Hey, gang? Let's do a Mecha version of World of Tanks!

The last version of Command and Conquer, the one with the hentai characters and the Russian paratrooper bears.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Mass Effect 3. For all the reasons already stated.

MWO for all the reasons already stated.

Tribes: Ascend for mismanagement, lack of communication, and squandering their developer resources on band-aid fixes instead of addressing the core balance problems of the game (mostly regarding physics).

They wanted to revitalize the Tribes franchise but forgot all the things that made it so awesome to begin with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »

The game itself was good the story was good but OH MY GOD the ending left me with such utter disappointment I haven't played the game since.

If I wanted a game where I invested over 100 + hours game play choosing my path in the game to mean nothing I would play the sims.

to give us the ending they did was like a F You to what we invested and talking from my own perspective fell in love with the mythos and characters of the story.

It will for me go down in history as nothing more than a short hard kick in my nuts.
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited June 2015
    The game itself was good the story was good but OH MY GOD the ending left me with such utter disappointment I haven't played the game since.

If I wanted a game where I invested over 100 + hours game play choosing my path in the game to mean nothing I would play the sims.

to give us the ending they did was like a F You to what we invested and talking from my own perspective fell in love with the mythos and characters of the story.

It will for me go down in history as nothing more than a short hard kick in my nuts.

Dude, I said Drop It. I won't ask again

Let's not start a flame war, I'm out of popcorn
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Alright, since we're dealing with the new millenium's games (rather than the 1990s ones I posted), I'll say Tabula Rasa. So much great potential squandered in Lord, er General British's cash grab to fund his astronaut fix. The resulting in-house fighting and poor direction took what was shaping up to be an epic game and left it in a perpetual state of beta-quality repairs and drastic revamps.
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Legacy on PC wasn't too bad, especially since you could mod it.

Which PS2 game? There were a couple I can think of right off the top of my head.
    Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
    Star Trek Shattered Universe

Anyways...
    MechWarrior Online.
    Yes its nice to see another MechWarrior game, but its basically World of Tanks with mechs, and throws rookie players into the deep end right off the bat. How can rookies learn if they get picked off by veterans?

I personally think gameplay was great, and the addition of the Omni Blade was nice, but the ending was kinda... wut?

It was the one that came out when Legacy did it was Star Trek - encounters the only saving grace for it was William Shatner did the VO for it. . . Well most of it I think since I never finished it.

another one was Star Trek - Conquest that was awful
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited June 2015

Lol no flames here just saying how it felt for me is all everyone has their own views on games etc etc

as the saying goes "to each his own"
    JtaDmwW.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited June 2015

What, are you the one person on the planet who liked that ending?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

I knew that person had to exist somewhere.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Well... Take it from a religious perspective and sure it can (extended cut helped make the ending itself better). Don't worry, I can always whip out a saved game with the bad ending

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    I loved the ME3 ending. Perfect for MY Sheppard. Fortunately for me, that's the only one I need care about.

As for this thread topic. I'd pick Perpetual's Star Trek Online. To make a great game, first you have to actually make it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Alright, since we're dealing with the new millenium's games (rather than the 1990s ones I posted), I'll say Tabula Rasa. So much great potential squandered in Lord, er General British's cash grab to fund his astronaut fix. The resulting in-house fighting and poor direction took what was shaping up to be an epic game and left it in a perpetual state of beta-quality repairs and drastic revamps.

I would say that it was due to Tabula Rasa having the development costs of two MMOs instead of just one like other MMOs. Tabula Rasa was originally like WoW in space before most of it was scrapped instead of the militaristic MMO that it became. The original Tabula Rasa was supposed to have floating island homes similar Wildstar's housing system and a more impressive costume system instead of being mostly limited to military uniforms. Although, Control Points, Cloning, being able to one-shot Stalkers with a Sniper, and having a very unique stealth ability with the Spy's Polymorph ability were some of the highlights of that game.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Defiance - it went from a buggy but very original game to a pretty decent game to where you had to buy for access into a new area by using their version of the lockboxes to get keys via RNG.

Every Madden game after 2006 - They don't even put full stats for the players now, what next in their career screen, they played, don't even get me started on their balance issues.

Fable III - Beautiful game, but everything else is wtf

Ghost Recon: Phantoms: When it was Ghost Recon: Online, it wasn't a bad game and its P2Wness wasn't very apparent. When it relaunched as Phantoms, outright P2W and the Devs don't care.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Every Madden game after 2006 - They don't even put full stats for the players now, what next in their career screen, they played, don't even get me started on their balance issues.

While I will never play a sport game, I never understood why they don't use DLCs to update the rosters. Have a $60 game that is put out every few years and $10 DLCs every year that shows all the changes to the sport that has been made over the year. This way they can put out better games with a ton of new features without being rushed to release next year's game where the game suffers as a result.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i doubt you would get many who would agree that mass effect 3 is a perfect game, but i see it the same as others, it was a story of surrendering to the obvious, the commander was supposed to die no matter what and the ending was a charlie foxtrot until they had to extended the cutscenes out a bit.

although i liked a few bits on the game, the "krogan airdrop" in citadel dlc, James Vega (Crazy is one word to put it especially on Mars) and Steve Cortez (mostly because hes a really nice person who lost his husband and has not had the chance to mourn him), you got the addition of Samantha Trainor (Who is looking to seduce femshep) but i didnt like her that much, not really much she was doing.

besides the airdrop and mr Vega's love of mid-air collisions :D the game was a bust because of that lousy ending.

star trek online is another game that could of done so well, but its creators are well "cryptic" at the best of times and for the most part player feedback is only taken seriously in bug related issues and official feedback, nothing beyond that, the rest is all done in house. i dont know the situation in the cryptic camp so i can not say what is good or bad or what can be improved.

however the game could of been so much more.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2015
    A game that could have been great, but got it all wrong...

Hrmmm

I say....

All the games that could've been great but got it all wrong.