test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jurassic World

grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
What are your thoughts on it before it comes out?
say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
Post edited by grandnaguszek1 on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015

My thoughts before watching it:

It's a movie.

It's about dinosaurs.

I hope I enjoy it.

Beyond that, there's not much else to say before I watch it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's a movie about dinosaurs. I'm going to watch it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, but they don't have lazer beams mounted on their heads. :D
    edited June 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    Yes, but they don't have lazer beams mounted on their heads. :D

That would have been awesome.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I bet someday there is going to be a movie with this:D.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    Well, there was a (thinly-veiled toy commercial) tv show back in the '80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lor_uUkJkkw

As for Jurassic World, my philosophy is to be free of expectations. I show up, and then I see what happens.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's a movie about custom dinosaurs because people had gotten bored of regular dinosaurs.

This'll be fun.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's a movie about custom dinosaurs because people had gotten bored of regular dinosaurs.

This'll be fun.

Actually, if you will recall even the dinos in the first movie were custom; they used frog DNA to fill in the gaps(leading to some unexpected breeding). So there there always "custom" dinosaurs in the park, never "regular" ones.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    It's a big plot thread in the Lost World book, how Ian Malcolm's entire reason for going to Isla Sorna was to prove that Hammond's creations weren't "real" dinosaurs because of the methods used to create them.

That plotline was left out of the movie, along with most of the rest of the book.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Kung Fury has Laser Raptors, a true thing that was real.

I hope the world gets infested with dinos in Jurassic World, as per the title. :D
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The two things I know about this movie:

A) They were stupid enough to clone more dinosaurs, again. Really? How many times has this idea gone wrong already? (really, how many? I have no idea.)

B) It has Chris Pratt!
    76561198032353876.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Honestly, I expect to be exasperated by the genetically engineered mutant super dinosaur; but otherwise have fun.

Can't help but think that a fully operational Jurassic Park is what they should have done for a sequel in the first place; then the franchise wouldn't have been worn out enough to require something so over the top just to put a little life back into it when they made it.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    I have absolutely zero interest in a movie whose main selling point is monstrosities eating people.

Pssst: It has Chris Pratt on a motorcycle as alpha to a pack of raptors charging into battle.

:eek: Ok, maybe 10% interest.
    edited June 2015
    It just occurred to me, they could seriously have something going for themselves at the park if they only clone plant eating dinosaurs and small predators. Not something that will eat the tourists.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It just occurred to me, they could seriously have something going for themselves at the park if they only clone plant eating dinosaurs and small predators. Not something that will eat the tourists.

Why do you think Zoo's have Lions, and Tigers, and Bears (Oh, my!)? Or why Sea World has a Shark Exhibit? Or why you can drive around Florida and find Tourist Traps that show off Alligators, Snakes, and other dangerous critters...

...Fact is, people WANT to see the scary predators...

Gotta give the people what they want if you're going to run an amusement park/zoo-type place.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    My thoughts on Jurassic World?
    Its about time.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    It's a big plot thread in the Lost World book, how Ian Malcolm's entire reason for going to Isla Sorna was to prove that Hammond's creations weren't "real" dinosaurs because of the methods used to create them.

That plotline was left out of the movie, along with most of the rest of the book.

A lot was changed between the book and the movie. Hell... a lot was changed in Jurassic Park, such as Hammond being a nice guy and surviving. However a couple things that were left out of Lost World were brought in with Jurassic Park III, like the aviary. Also I think Ian's reason in the movie was to go "rescue" his girlfriend.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Chris Pratt: Friend to All Animals (Especially Highly Intelligent Ones)
    76561198032353876.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I am amazed that with as many disasters that has occurred in that theme park with numerous deaths, that they keep on trying. I am amazed that with all those deaths, that they haven't been sued into oblivion to never be heard from again.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well the basic premise(which is public knowledge and not a spoiler) is that the new park was a success for many years and that they managed to avoid any major incidents.
    Things go horribly wrong when they create a new gene-spliced hybrid thats supposed to make for a more "thrilling" show and as always in these kind of movies, Murphy's law prevails!

To be fair, the disaster in the original park was set in motion by Dennis Nedry who shut down all the containment and security systems and cocked up the entire computer system with "Whte_rbt.obj", and finally had the indecency to get himself killed thus TRIBBLE over everyone else. :P
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm kinda on the fence for this one, I tend to get movies on DVD release if they do release a quadrilogy box set I may consider it
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      drogyn1701 wrote: »

Indeed, if I remember correctly in the first book both Malcolm and Hammond were killed off.
      server_hamster6.png
    • cyberpunk1977cyberpunk1977 Member Posts: 179 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Looks good, Looking forward to seeing it, Not sure how I feel about tame Raptors tho.
      edited June 2015
      Looks good, Looking forward to seeing it, Not sure how I feel about tame Raptors tho.

One would assume that they were trained in a similar manner to dolphins, although those don't try to kill you on sight...
    • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Yay for fellow book readers. And Chrichton who will be remembered for as long dino movies are around.

It's already one of the most anticipated movies of the summer, some say it will beat out the other 3 films. It's possible.
    • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Got the Voth Battlezone, nuff said. :o
      edited June 2015
      Got the Voth Battlezone, nuff said. :o

Also yes. :cool:
      ExtxpTp.jpg
    • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      My thoughts (before approaching the cinema next week):

From what one can see from the trailer, my main conclusion is, that they spent millions of dollars on special effects and about 2 dollars on the story. Or even less. It looks like a five year old wrote the story and got a chocolate bar for it as reward. Not is it only the same old story as in part 1 basically, just pimped up with a functional sea world-like park, raptor buddies and the viriosaurus rex that lost his lazors in a battlezone, no, they also let the evul rex talk with pterosaurs and they unite to kill humans. And of course evul military guys who want super duper killer dinos for improving warfare. Let me guess who will be eaten during or at the end of the movie? Oh no, don't tell, we will know after 5 minutes. Oh, and there are some (probably) annoying kids in the film. Great, will they be eaten? I guess not. Why do I want to watch this? I like trash movies and I like the dinos. Also, I like to watch bad movies, so I can start shaking my head when leaving the cinema, saying things like "why do they only produce such utter nonsense nowadays" and "when I was young movies were much better"...Oh no, I m getting old...

:D
    • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Actually, if you will recall even the dinos in the first movie were custom; they used frog DNA to fill in the gaps(leading to some unexpected breeding). So there there always "custom" dinosaurs in the park, never "regular" ones.

There's a little bit that was on the Jurassic World site where a visitor is lamenting how the dinosaurs are clearly off since they don''t have feathers, but - frog DNA, what can you do?
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Makes perfect sense to me. Raptors are social animals like wolves. Raising them to identify you as a packmember instead of food makes sense. In the book, the raptors that gave everyone so much trouble the first time around were sociopaths who did did worse things to each other than they did to the humans. However, the "wild" raptors self-organized into a coherent, almost disciplined pack which was much less apt to attack people. One of the raptors was, in fact, tamed after being captured.

With regard to the stupidity of trying this again... I'm not scared of dinosaurs when we have weapons like these.