test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about the new MMOs coming out.

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
There are a ton of new MMOs coming out later this year into next year.

I will not name any of them now, but just say a few are coming out of the kickstarter.

Now one did catch my eye, and it's claims to have the best of UO and SWG rolled up into a scifi game MMO. That one I will check out, I loved playing both of those games back in the day, and if a new game can bring back that feeling, well................let's wait and see.

Back to my question.

From what you have seen of the newer MMOs, IYO..................

How would you rate what you have seen of them so far?

I would like to here people's views about the new class of MMOs coming out, the pros and cons of what you have seen to date. I am keeping this topic simple, without naming companies or game titles. :D

So let's here your views.
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If a game isn't out yet (or even in beta) and people are already dropping thousands of dollars on it for some "unique" in-game ship, I really question people's thought decision process.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    But a lot of those games once you pay into them, let you play the game, while the DEV team is still shaping what needs to get done. Of course they take in all of your input, after all they don't want anyone that has backed the game to become unhappy, if it can be helped.
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The sheer quantity of games that never made it to the "released" state is way too high for me to ever put money on a game that "might" one day be live...
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    The ONLY MMO I ever went :eek: over was Stargate Worlds... and that went belly up. I had wanted to play STO, but couldn't afford it until it went F2P. TOR is decent... but the F2P model SUCKS. The rest... including any that are coming out I can answer your question with one word:

Meh

I might check out one or another if its F2P, but with the situation I'm in a B2P or Sub ain't happening anytime soon. And that includes WoW, even though I have played it before. I just can't afford it right now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i dont pay attention to half complete mmos until it come close to release and has a plan going, thats the ones that interest me anyway. most of the junk coming is a copy of a copy anyway, so no interest in the status quo.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 a ton of the newer MMOs are coming out with the F2P model, but who will get it right?

IMO STO does a nice Job with this model of F2P, you can play the game 100% without buying anything, but if you want those extras you have to pay. I am cool with that model. Then you have other MMOs with F2P that limit you from doing everything, unless you pay extra to open those doors. That I don't like.

If your going to be a F2P game, then be free, and add the bells and whistles under the market. IMO this is the best model to stick with for any F2P. Of course adding extra space and slots too is ok.
    edited June 2015
    mirrorchaos I hear you there, I feel the same way, as I watch what's coming down the pipe.

I see a couple of Korean MMOs that look nice too, but the language isn't in English, and yes that's a turn off for me. I need to understand what the heck is going on. lol

But those couple games I seen have great artwork, and will be huge sandbox types.
    shame they will not be in English at release.
    edited June 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    rattler2 a ton of the newer MMOs are coming out with the F2P model, but who will get it right?

IMO STO does a nice Job with this model of F2P, you can play the game 100% without buying anything, but if you want those extras you have to pay. I am cool with that model. Then you have other MMOs with F2P that limit you from doing everything, unless you pay extra to open those doors. That I don't like.

If your going to be a F2P game, then be free, and add the bells and whistles under the market. IMO this is the best model to stick with for any F2P. Of course adding extra space and slots too is ok.

I also haven't really been paying attention to new MMOs.

STO also has a means for F2P players to actually GET the shiny extras. I did the crazy and GROUND OUT a Delta Pack. Even announced it on the forums when I finally got all the Zen for it. so IMO STO has one of THE BEST F2P models out there as there is a way for EVERYONE to get the shiny, no matter what your financial situation is. TOR on the other hand... the ONLY thing free is the story. Unless you give them at least $5, you don't even have a Bank. A BANK! An MMO staple of storage, and its locked out behind a $5 paywall!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The new Warhammer 40k MMO that is in development looks awesome.

Use this link if you are interested: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-0IS6BOFNHN4M9
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I've switched to liking survival games. Been playing Rust for a while even if it's in beta, but ARK came out last week and it looks awesome. Just need a better computer for it.
    edited June 2015
    dmt wrote: »
    The new Warhammer 40k MMO that is in development looks awesome.

Use this link if you are interested: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-0IS6BOFNHN4M9

Didn't even know about that one. Might keep an eye on it but won't jump in until I know a lot more.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My long history with 40K demands I look into that one as well.
    edited June 2015
    I don't have a long history with 40k. Just a few months of playing Dawn of War and that's it.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Not sure of release dates, nor of the list of MMOs of which you speak in the OP, but I can think of two that caught my eye.

Star Citizen, because of its heritage ties to Freelancer, had me intensely excited. Then I starting hearing more and more of its development acting more like EVE, and my enthusiasm severely waned. I've not checked on it in months.

Everquest Next. After seeing the videos from SOE Live 2013, and all the cool upgrades to the MMO field that EQN is supposedly bringing, I was super hyped, and was actually thinking of going back into the fantasy game genre, something of which I'm not really fond, believing it is severely overused in gaming. But EQN was to change that thinking. Now I'm not sure, after those layoffs gutted the development team.

I wouldn't mind hearing of others, if there is some quality on the list.
    edited June 2015
    steamwright since you and a few others are name dropping now, I guess it's safe to drop my own. lol

The 5 Games I am keeping an eye on are as follows.

1. Shroud of the Avatar - This one is being made by the guy who gave us the Ultima series, and the ultima online mmo. Shame what EA did to that UO game. Lord British Returns soon my friends!

2. Wildstar - Yes I know it's out now, but they are switching to a F2P model, and it sounds like it will mirror what STO is doing now. Just another MMo I will be keeping an eye on.

3. repopulation - This one is advertising to all the ex UO and SWG players. Deep crafting system, in game social careers, and lots of shooting if that's what you want. It's what I seen of it so far. lol

The last two are Black Desert and Bless, both are from Korea, and they look to be winners. But the language, why can't we have English day one. But it looks like black Desert will be in English, just hope it's a good game. :D
    edited June 2015
    Star Citizen, because of its heritage ties to Freelancer, had me intensely excited. Then I starting hearing more and more of its development acting more like EVE, and my enthusiasm severely waned. I've not checked on it in months.

Star Citizen I'm semi interested in because of the fact that its about as close to a new Wing Commander game as we'll ever get. Probably won't be able to play it, but still...
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I've switched to liking survival games. Been playing Rust for a while even if it's in beta, but ARK came out last week and it looks awesome. Just need a better computer for it.

Those look quite interesting.
    Are they first person only or is 3rd person view possible too (when walking)?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Star Citizen:-
    Basically a space adventure MMO.

Recent developments (thanks to a TRIBBLE leak):-
    Social Module
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiLHCpJ39g

FPS module
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owyD117J3WU

Dreadnought:-
    Reminds me of STO's space combat, but looks far more skill reliant. Not an MMO though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XczNemDv7Cc
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse