test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa is unplayable becuase of very low fps

betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
I can't do anything at risa because I am getting 25fps there. Turning down every graphic option doesn't help ether. Cryptic please fix whatever is causing very low fps.

My pc specs
i7 4770k
16 gigs of ram
gtx 770 4gb
250gb ssd
Post edited by betanem on

Comments

• sto4me2sto4me2 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    25 FPS? i'm looking at a slideshow, 10 max.

putting both sliders (gpu and cpu) to minumum makes it playable.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4Ghz
    GPU: AMD R9 290X
    MEM: 8GB DRR3-2100

i think with my specs this most run normaly, last year i had no problems at all.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same. I'm just going to copy and paste this over from the other thread. :)
    Ground map baseline ~40 FPS

Walking towards resort building on wooden walkway: ~10 FPS

Walking through resort building (around area of dance plantform) ~7-9 FPS

In main lobby: ~9 FPS

Just out the back of the resort building (near jungle): ~7.8 FPS (Omni-directional, down to ~6.6 while moving)

Walking back out through lobby (way I came in): ~8.7 FPS

Still in resort building, almost at wooden walkway (looking away from island towards liner, almost at the point where the neighboring dance platform ends): ~16 FPS (sudden jump)

On wooden walkway, near first gazebo (looking away from island, at Risan Liner): ~20 FPS

-At same point looking oppsite direction (towards island/resort building): ~10 FPS

System info
    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
    ATI Sapphire Radeon R7 260x (15.5 driver)
    8gb of RAM (DDR3)
    Windows 7

Settings (at time)
    Medium detail distances
    No high detail objects
    Lighting: high
    Shadows: medium
    Directx: 11
    sto4me2 wrote: »

i think with my specs this most run normaly, last year i had no problems at all.

There weren't any problems just a few months ago. Then S10 hit and it went to hell. Its probably safe to say that they broke something.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • shandarilshandaril Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    betanem wrote: »
    I can't do anything at risa because I am getting 25fps there. Turning down every graphic option doesn't help ether. Cryptic please fix whatever is causing very low fps.

My pc specs
    i7 4770k
    16 gigs of ram
    gtx 770 4gb
    250gb ssd

25 fps is still very playable =X ... im getting very wild differences in fps ... 9 or less in or a round the main building... 10 or less around the mountains and trees .. but if i look down at ground walking i get 14 ... 50+ while looking out away from land ... ive been tweaking around with graphics ... is set right down low now .. and i have a pretty decent pc .. i should have no problems running this game at all

fpsgraph is not showing any purple spikes .. just solid blue so as far as i can tell the problem isnt with the graphics themselves its something else .... it wasnt any where near this bad last year other than in the building near the dance floor ... and even then that was still play able .. now its getting very hard to do anything
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not that their maps don't have serious issues these days ... but make sure you are using DX 9EX and not DX 11. DX 11 causes extreme lag on many ground maps.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    same issue.

average FPS is around 52-55

after todays patch average is 32 is sector space

on risa 9 FPS

on risa with any setting turned down to min except lighting 9 FPS

on risa with lighting quality turned down 11 FPS

absolute minimum settings on risa 11FPS

last year on risa with max settings 55 FPS
  • slylandroslylandro Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have the same issue. As long as you're standing at the jetpacking event contact, it's ok, especially as you move into the water part.

However, as soon as you even run into the main area, even at the Dabo table, the FPS reduction is incredible, at no matter what setting. It's basically unplayable, when it was as smooth as ice last year (and I was playing on a laptop last year, not a gaming rig like what I have now).
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm getting about 11 fps on the Risa summer event map. This is gonna make it hard to do the flying high daily for the ship, along with participating in various activities. Players have been asking for weeks for this specific map to be fixed before the summer event starts. Sadly that didn't happen.

Hell even when typing in the chat is laggy and text shows up slow and it's hard to correct typos during typing because I keep hitting the backspace key too much due to the delayed response.
    edited June 2015
    not that their maps don't have serious issues these days ... but make sure you are using DX 9EX and not DX 11. DX 11 causes extreme lag on many ground maps.

I've tried all 3 settings when first reporting on this issue (9, 9 EX, and 11) and they didn't have any effect. Additionally my old, intel powered, laptop which doesn't have Risa framerate issues is running Dx11 right now. I guess I can reverify that (since my last round of testing was using 11) but as deduced elsewhere there doesn't seem to be any player-side fixes.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited June 2015

I had mine set to auto for a very long time and had no issues with it until season 10 launched. Since then I've had it set to 'Direct3D 9' and have seen no difference. I still get really really low fps in some maps.
  • rondelicarondelica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have the same issues on risa aswell. but not only on risa.

I have also low FPS on the following maps and missions:
    New Romulus and New Romulus Command
    Mission: Diplomatic Orders (only on the ground map)
    Mission: Researcher Rescue (only on the last ground map)
    Mission: The Kuvah'Magh (also only on the ground map)

this problem is since these where upgraded, and about new romulus i am not sure.

My system specs are:
    AMD FX8320 8 core
    Ram: 8gb
    Video: Asus GTX750Ti with the last drivers
    I am running on Windows 8.1 64bit
  • gt500dotorggt500dotorg Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm having the same issues. It seems to happen when looking towards the resort or the center of the island, and when standing behind the resort and looking towards the center of the island the FPS drops to 10 or less.

I have ASUS GPU Tweak (card is an ASUS GTX 780 DCII OC) open right now, and the GPU Usage drops as the FPS drops (I saw it drop to as low as 10%, with it usually somewhere between 30% and 40%). CPU usage was around 15% when this was happening, and Process Explorer showed none of my CPU cores were being maxed out, with the most being core 8 spiking around 50% usage.

If I fly to the lower-left corner of the map, I notice three things:
    1. They have significantly increased the size of the playable parts of the map from previous years.
    2. FPS when looking away from the island from this location is roughly 160-170, while FPS when looking at the island from this location settles at exactly 42.
    3. When looking away from the island the CPU usage increases to just below 23%, and when looking towards the island it hovers just above 17%.

I'd say there is a performance bottleneck here somewhere. Hopefully the devs will be able to find it in time to make the summer event playable for us. ;)

BTW: Hardware is as follows:
    • Intel Core i7 4770k
    • ASUS Maximus VI Formula motherboard
    • 16GB dual-channel DDR3 PC12800 Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM
    • ASUS GTX 780 DCII OC (NVIDIA GeForce driver 352.86)
    • ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC (set up for CUDA/PhysX only)
    • 1TB 10,000RPM SATA-III Western Digital VelociRaptor (Steam, STO, and Windows are installed on this drive)

Note that I have not changed any video options since long before the latest season was released (at least more than 6 months), and have not had any FPS issues until now. I have everything maxed (except maybe anti-aliasing) with a resolution of 1920x1080 and usually enjoy a framerate of 40-60 FPS.
    edited June 2015
    Anti-aliasing doesn't seem to be working on Risa. I have it set to 'Msaa - 8x'. Everything seems to have slightly jagged edges. Characters, NPC's, various parts of the environment, etc.
    edited June 2015
    Anti-aliasing doesn't seem to be working on Risa. I have it set to 'Msaa - 8x'. Everything seems to have slightly jagged edges. Characters, NPC's, various parts of the environment, etc.

I noticed more aliasing than normal on Risa as well. The weird thing is that it seemed to come and go. Maybe I was just tired (it is 6:52 AM here, and I haven't been to bed yet...) so it's hard to saw for certain what I saw.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's an issue that started with S10 launch, which was reported before the launch.

As usual though, the reports on both Tribble and Holodeck forums have been met with silence on Cryptic's part. I'm not counting Twitter replies, as they're barely significant.

But to keep the thread going, yeah, I'm having issues as well, with numerous maps. Risa and New Romulus Command are the worst, to the point of being unplayable.

Risa runs below 10fps at times. I've set every graphics and display option to the absolute minimum, and it barely helps.

I might add, I've had no problems during the previous events, which I've been running on the exact same rig.

Speaking of which - AMD Athlon II X2 240, 3,1GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Windows XP Home, DX9.

Old one, I know, but it did the job well till S10 launched...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    betanem wrote: »
    Talk about first world problems. My poor machine can barely squeak out 30 FPS on the best maps with graphics at minimum. Single-digit FPS in places like the Dyson sphere has been standard for me. 25fps is not 'unplayable'.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    curiosity only... look at your feet or stand next to a wall and stare at it in an area that has very low FPS and check it under those conditions. If that does fine, the problem is very likely rendering of other characters or long distance polygons, or a combination of the two. Which might be fixable with graphics options (reduce render distance and anything associated with other characters). If it chugs up looking at a flat wall or floor, its a bug.
    edited June 2015
    noroblad wrote: »
    curiosity only... look at your feet or stand next to a wall and stare at it in an area that has very low FPS and check it under those conditions. If that does fine, the problem is very likely rendering of other characters or long distance polygons, or a combination of the two. Which might be fixable with graphics options (reduce render distance and anything associated with other characters). If it chugs up looking at a flat wall or floor, its a bug.

Characters is unlikely, Risa's problems started with S10 long before the summer event and now that there's more characters the problems (at least on my end) haven't gotten any worse. Vegetation is probably a better guess but there's absolutely nothing that we can do to fix the problem with graphics tweaks. We tried all of them when first troubleshooting (and a lot else besides on my end). No joy (except on Kuva'magh ground, disabling high detail objects reduces the framerate drop by quite a bit). Its a bug (even when not looking at the floor, performance shouldn't be this abysmal when dealing with STO ground maps.)
  • shandarilshandaril Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    noroblad wrote: »

yes doing that does increase the fps a little ... ive tried already .. but from 10 and under to 13 or 14 it doesnt make much diff at all ... i been running fpsgraph a while too it doesnt show any nasty spikes despite the massive fps drop ... and i already tried seeing down to min graphics ...

moveing ot low population instance doesnt change it much eaither .. just removes/reduces the lag part of the problem

i honestly think its not so much a graphics prob as its something else .. what that is i dunno ... maybe a mem leak or something like that .. id say bad codeing but thats sto all over lol

season 10 braught all these probs for me so its something to do with that i guess ...
  • hatax2hatax2 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Nightmare for me on Risa, New Rom, etc. as well.

AMD FX-8350, 16GB ram, R9 280X... Hardware isn't the reason I'm getting 4-12fps on Risa at least.

Pretty miserable here since just before Season 10, there was a patch in there that hosed things up pretty bad.
  • spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Having the same issue too.. Getting about 12fps while doing the jetpack daiily, my Specs are comparable to other peoples here and I have the same set up as last year and it was fine for me then
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same thing. GPU usage plummets facing the island and the fps tanks.
    edited June 2015
    noroblad wrote:

For me, looking down didn't help. Also being away from other players didn't help. Only getting away from the island and looking away from the island helped.
  • rondelicarondelica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Even on low setting doesn't work for me very well. i hope that cryptic comes with a fix very soon :)
  • xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    With an instance population of 50 this is not surprising. I am having a less than stellar experience myself. Lag, lag, lag. Last year there was and continues to be the issue of the environment not rendering fast enough during power boarding. Even in Flying High the gates are appearing after I pass their location. By now I would think there would be a list of things to avoid when creating an event/map. I'm disappointed with my experience of this event.

I'm not listing my system specs here. I play other MMOs that have much more detail and complexity than STO without issue.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xelene13 wrote: »
    With an instance population of 50 this is not surprising. I am having a less than stellar experience myself. Lag, lag, lag. Last year there was and continues to be the issue of the environment not rendering fast enough during power boarding. Even in Flying High the gates are appearing after I pass their location. By now I would think there would be a list of things to avoid when creating an event/map. I'm disappointed with my experience of this event.

I'm not listing my system specs here. I play other MMOs that have much more detail and complexity than STO without issue.

yeah but Im getting issues in instances with more or less no one.

Im getting motion sickness because its so "choppy". cant play there very long with out a little head ache starting. Like im playing on an old CRT.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xelene13 wrote: »

It's not the other players on the map. I've seen this issue on both holodeck and tribble, with nobody else on the map in either location. As others have said, the issue only happens when facing the island itself, which means it's an issue with either the ground or the vegetation. Whether that's the models, textures, or some other factor, I can't say.

• kulbarkulbar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm seeing the same issue as well. i7 2600K, GTX 660 Ti (factory OCed), 16 GB RAM. Two years old, but more than sufficient to run anything the game threw at it up until S10.

I had first assumed that the New Romulus command center slowdowns were a transient problem, but Risa is an unplayable mess, reducing my framerates to single digits. Tribble isn't any better, despite an empty zone, and reducing graphics settings to minimum doesn't help. The problem appears to be elsewhere in the program, as unlike other times I get low framerates, the GPU is hardly working at all.
  • timerastimeras Member Posts: 33 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    Operating System: Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro 64-bit
    Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AMD 970 So.AM3+
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
    Memory: 8GB (2x 4096MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
    Display Device: 4096MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Windforce 2X OC
    Driver Version: 353.06 (GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11 (DirectX 9 testet, no difference)

Even on lowest graphics settings with DirectX 9 only 5 FPS on Risa. This cant be a client side problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Photonen im Wind a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Eis a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Schatten a foundry mission by timeras13
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have FPS drops (from 60+ to struggling, no numbers, but it seems close to be around 10) when I'm on the left side (back to the ship, looking to the resort) of the boardwalk. It's very noticeable when I do the hunt, since I start there. Fps are fine for the resort, promenade, volcano... Didn't went to the lighthouse this year.

Just before someone comes and claim it's my computer, I have been in Risa for every summer event, and this is the first time. It's kind of obvious something was changed there, since my PC is the same than last year, and it's an upgraded version VS past events.

Computer :
    QuadCore Intel Core i5, 3133 MHz
    8Go DDR3 ram
    NVIDIA GTX 660 TI 2Go
    SSD for the OS, HDD for the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hatax2hatax2 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They need to get a handle on this as Dyson ground battlezone (Outskirts area specifically) was the first place I saw this almost 2 months ago. This isn't a new problem, Risa didn't introduce it or suddenly bring it to light. It's been around for almost 8 weeks now, this should be a #1 priority on the bug fix list.

For those that want to know the FPS impact on affected levels can enter the following in a chat window to bring up the FPS counter:

/HideDevUI 0
    /ShowFPS 1
    /showCamPos 0

HideDevUI just un-hides the development interface
    ShowFPS does as it says, shows your FPS counter in the top right of the screen
    showCamPos hides the extra info that comes up in the dev interface, it's camera information that most people won't be interested in if they're just looking to know their FPS.

Everywhere else I get 60fps or just shy of it, but on the affected maps it drops to 1/5 of that or even less at times.