test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Have we lost the "magic" of Star Trek ?

2»

Comments

• derekslidederekslide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This isn't the Prime universe; It's the Terran Empire.
  • theholydrunktheholydrunk Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OP, may I suggest trying out the Foundry? Lots of missions in there where combat is not the prime aspect of the story...

Everything I came here to say. There's plenty of interesting, story driven missions at the Foundry. By all means petition Cryptic for more 'official' stuff but there is a solid chunk of what you're asking for right there.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Exploration was given as the reason why they were out there...but we didn't turn in week to week to watch Captain Cousteau on PBS.

Bingo.

The "Star Trek experience" has nothing to do with exploration.

The Starfleet experience was exploring strange new worlds, new life, and new civilizations.

The Star Trek viewer experience was watching how the crew dealt with things, watching Picard tolerate Troi's mom, watching O'Brien get screwed over by the universe but Dealing With It, seeing Worf on DS9, watching Garak and Bashir play spy, watching Quark go Klingon, Kirk and Spock's friendship.

The nebula/alien/thingy of the week was just there to serve as a backdrop, a cue for the characters to do something. They weren't even important most of the time (hence conflicting or nonsensical canon).

If a viewer actually wanted exploration and discovery, they'd be watching a documentary to discover new things about the world around them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Bingo.

The Starfleet experience was exploring strange new worlds, new life, and new civilizations.

The Star Trek viewer experience was watching how the crew dealt with things, watching Picard tolerate Troi's mom, watching O'Brien get screwed over by the universe but Dealing With It, seeing Worf on DS9, watching Garak and Bashir play spy, watching Quark go Klingon, Kirk and Spock's friendship.

The nebula/alien/thingy of the week was just there to serve as a backdrop, a cue for the characters to do something. They weren't even important most of the time (hence conflicting or nonsensical canon).

If a viewer actually wanted exploration and discovery, they'd be watching a documentary to discover new things about the world around them.
    Hehe... this give me an idea.... :D

Monsterquest! but as a foundry mission. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bingo.

I agree that Star Trek was about the character experience. That character interaction and development is where Star Trek really stood out. And why JJ Abrams, while a great action director, was way out of his league when it came to directing the "reboot".

Oh, and how bad could things be when O'Brien married Keiko? Come on, an Irish guy got to bang an Asian every night! (granted the character was Japanese played by Chinese, but then again Hollywood has always had that problem).
    Hehe... this give me an idea.... :D

Monsterquest! but as a foundry mission. :D

I would support that. No, seriously, I liked the scientific analysis that went into that show and was disappointed when they canceled it.
  • g8472hgg8472hg Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    By the way, is there anybody, who likes this phantasy season?
    edited May 2015
    davidwford wrote: »
    I would support that. No, seriously, I liked the scientific analysis that went into that show and was disappointed when they canceled it.
    I bought the DVDs so I can enjoy it at will. :P

When I saw that they'd done something like a dozen episodes on "bigfoot" I was disappointed.... then I watched the episodes and loved it. :D Each episode focusses on a specific regional variation and explores both how it's different than the generic idea and examines it as a specific thing and not just as part of the "bigfoot" mythos. Bigfoot legends look a lot different when you pay attention to the details.

Also, they did a lot of cryptids that I didn't know a lot about. :D so I learned stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree that Star Trek was about the character experience. That character interaction and development is where Star Trek really stood out. And why JJ Abrams, while a great action director, was way out of his league when it came to directing the "reboot".

I kind of wonder how Wheden would have done with Star Trek. Dude's all about the dialog, and he was too busy putting in the required action sequences in Age of Ultron to get much snappy dialog in.
    Oh, and how bad could things be when O'Brien married Keiko? Come on, an Irish guy got to bang an Asian every night! (granted the character was Japanese played by Chinese, but then again Hollywood has always had that problem).

O'Brien is awesome. Universe tosses all these bad things at him and he gets out on top.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited May 2015

So very much this. Its not really a true Star Trek experience without Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, or a guest star whipping out their Shakespearean best. What STO truly lacks isn't exploration, but Kirk Speech / Picard Speech / **** You I'm The Emissary / **** You I'm Katherine F. Janeway options. With co-inciding Worf, Martok, Kor, Tomalak, et al options for those of us non-Federation as well. Heck, most of the reason I play the game is because of the head canons I have of my captains and their crew.

Which is why my newest DR is getting most of the attention now because she and her crew are the most fleshed out. I really should get to Ten Forward writing once she gets her big ship and a stable set of bridge officers...
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited May 2015
    So very much this. Its not really a true Star Trek experience without Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, or a guest star whipping out their Shakespearean best. What STO truly lacks isn't exploration, but Kirk Speech / Picard Speech / **** You I'm The Emissary / **** You I'm Katherine F. Janeway options. With co-inciding Worf, Martok, Kor, Tomalak, et al options for those of us non-Federation as well. Heck, most of the reason I play the game is because of the head canons I have of my captains and their crew.

Which is why my newest DR is getting most of the attention now because she and her crew are the most fleshed out. I really should get to Ten Forward writing once she gets her big ship and a stable set of bridge officers...
    One of my favorite TNG episodes was "Imaginary Friend". Which was cool in large part because they actually delved into what made Isabella and her race tick.

But yeah.... Boldly the Rode may not have the "Up yours!" speech written for the player, but it certainly feels like it has plenty of room for the player to make up one as they go along. "Hey Kar'ukan! This isn't your space Station! Get off or it's stabby death for you!"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I find nearly all content in STO pretty lacklustre these days ( as to what Star Trek franchise is about ) . Nearly every missions is :

- fly to planet A , shoot some ships
    - now fly to planet B and shoot some more ships
    - beam down to shoot some guys on the ground
    - after you're done ,you beam up and some ships appear which you have to shoot
    - depart system and collect reward

That's just as unimaginitive as the old exploration missions ...
  • durango4durango4 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about a new segment of the game that works like your fleet. Where a group of players can come together and form a new alien race. That race would have a series of Foundry missions attached to it. It would also be kinda like a Star Trek Sim City type thing.

Just a thought.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    durango4 wrote: »
    How about a new segment of the game that works like your fleet. Where a group of players can come together and form a new alien race. That race would have a series of Foundry missions attached to it. It would also be kinda like a Star Trek Sim City type thing.
    What's stopping a group of players from forming a themed fleet for exactly this purpose? Could be very fun, especially if one or more players in the fleet are good with the Foundry.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • durango4durango4 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But the Foundry isn't vary good about creating new alien races. You can only choose existing ones. But I have already started a fleet and was looking into creating a series of Foundry mission connected to it, as soon as the Foundry comes back up. It's kinda like a version of Deep Space Nine I guess.

But the foundry wont let you customize anything. Like you can't create a new starship or make up design for a new character.
  • diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly i don't think we realyl had it, it has always been mostly about killing everything you see, with a few exceptions in the "real" missions, but even those are largely about killiing everything.

And i doubt anything will Change, the new Content always was jsut more hp, more damage, even more enemies with even more CC, i doubt Cryptic will ever be able do more than that.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dunno if we've lost the magic or not. I am uncertain if we ever had magic in Star Trek in the first place. I cannot recall Spock ever casting a single fireball spell or Bones doing a divination. Don't ever recall seeing an episode of Enterprise featuring the kids from Harry Potter either.

But I would like to remove the whatever it is which has attracted all the hipsters to this game. If I was going to have magic in STO, I believe I'd start with an anti sneering spell. All this "I'm cooler than you" TRIBBLE is for the birds :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For better or worse, there's a reason that most Trek games tend to boil down to combat; in the absence of a human GM it's by far the easiest thing to script. Furthermore, without a GM it's impossible to account for the possible range of responses that players / characters can have. Time to go back to pen-and-paper RPGs, OP?

Even Microprose's Birth of the Federation - IMO the only game which really did exploration decently - tended to boil down to massed fleet actions.

That said, I do agree that the post-L50 missions have a very different feel. The earlier ones do actually manage to feel closer to the TV series IMO, whereas once the Spheres come into play it starts feeling like something very different. I actually really liked S9 and the Undine, because it put the focus back onto "core" Trek.
  • avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dunno if we've lost the magic or not. I am uncertain if we ever had magic in Star Trek in the first place. I cannot recall Spock ever casting a single fireball spell or Bones doing a divination. Don't ever recall seeing an episode of Enterprise featuring the kids from Harry Potter either.

But I would like to remove the whatever it is which has attracted all the hipsters to this game. If I was going to have magic in STO, I believe I'd start with an anti sneering spell. All this "I'm cooler than you" TRIBBLE is for the birds :D

Did you read my posts, right ?
    I can't believe it: in every situation there is ALWAYS the man who said stupid things thinking he's funny :|

Ok, if you feel better ...
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While not a straight answer, but partial solution... I utilize the foundry content to get my non dps fix in sto.. There are tons of great missions, and a wrapper to cover the dil reward (plus a wee bonus for spotlight missions). Hell ive got like 8foundry slots myself i might actually really use some day
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Power creep and rng brought sto into average mmo country sadly.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
    edited May 2015
    Did you read my posts, right ?
    I can't believe it: in every situation there is ALWAYS the man who said stupid things thinking he's funny :|

Ok, if you feel better ...

Wasn't trying at all to be funny. Was dead serious. Meant every word. Hipsters posing at 'experts' while not doing a very good job at it is definitely one of the things around here which pisses me off.

So if I hurt your feelings - Good!
  • avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wasn't trying at all to be funny. Was dead serious. Meant every word. Hipsters posing at 'experts' while not doing a very good job at it is definitely one of the things around here which pisses me off.

So if I hurt your feelings - Good!

As I said, if you feel better ...
    edited May 2015
    Yo guys

The point is simple: war, war and war ... there too many wars on STO. Of course, that is the main plot, that is interesting.

But Star Trek is not only war and fights: where is the exploration ? You can explore the space, anomalies, yes, of course, but that's always the same.

So that's my proposal:

Daily exploration missions (not like the ones we already have): I'm talking about randomly assigned missions, with very good rewards (like crafting boosters and dilithium).

Something that would make you live the real star trek experience.

What exactly is "the real Star Trek experience"?

Who decided you get to define it and your definition is the only valid one?

As a well known self annointed expert in all things Star Trek in your own mind, would you mind deigning to speak to us peons and share your oh-so-perfect wisdom in a little more detail?

Otherwise, you're just another pretentious poser. Like we haven't got enough of those around here already :rolleyes:
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    War is easy to do. Think of a reason to kill others, albeit stupid reasons: honor, pride, tradition, religion, class, etc. Add a spoon full of ignorance and a dash of ego and voil
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Chinese Trek Offline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]