test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

life without sto

thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
edited June 2015 in PvP Gameplay
I tried to dive back in.

I failed.

I cannot keep up. Regardless of what time I can afford to the game, I will no longer be viable in competitive combat

I am lost, and do not have the time or stress resistance to continue.

I'll be around. Just for the banter with my hated ones. But as much as I'd like to be competitive, my personal and professional life is warranting the time that I cannot be what I would hope within this game.

I wish you all the best. This is the greatest community this 20 year long online gamer has ever experienced. My hats off to you all.

You have my love.

And for one last time....

For my new wife and little one...and all of you....

Have fun kill bad guys.
Post edited by thishorizon on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So what do folks think about using more CrtD/CrtH mods because of all the other means of Accuracy that are available? Sure, Defense has increased - but how much of it is just Immunity instead of Defense anyway, yeah? It's a tough one in looking at PvP builds.

(There, with that said - hopefully they don't move this thread to Ten Forward. They need to understand that it's hard to foster a PvP community if one is not allowed to have a PvP community. Lots of folks want to keep in touch with one another, keeping an eye out on changes and so forth. It's a disservice to the PvP folks that stuff gets buried in the Ten Forward nonsense.)

I noticed on the Hilbert leaderboard that the current top player in an Eng that appears to have gotten their via healing. Interesting, yeah? It's interesting how many Sci are there as well with the ongoing debates about Tac Partigens, eh?

(Can definitely be a tough one, managing work - home - the rest, while trying to pop in from time to time for some pew pew action with the way the game has gone. It's one thing to do what they did for PvE to provide a sustained gameplay experience like that; but it's kind of anathema to PvP to go with that same mentality. Hopefully Cryptic takes note of this (though, how many times has it been said over and over?) at some point and are able to address that. This game needs the competitive folks - the premade folks - to offer something to reach for...and...turning it into a timesink creating massive gaps, just isn't going to allow for that.)
  • painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sounds like you should just stick to PVE and forget about PVP. Even with random drops from rep boxes, you can outfit a free level 40 ship and have a pretty solid PVE ship for at least normal difficulty PVE/stf's.

Being "Competitive" is a fools' errand in STO, imho.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sounds like you should just stick to PVE and forget about PVP. Even with random drops from rep boxes, you can outfit a free level 40 ship and have a pretty solid PVE ship for at least normal difficulty PVE/stf's.

Being "Competitive" is a fools' errand in STO, imho.

the pve is not worth playing in and of itself, not with these npcs. without intact pvp there is nothing of value to this game, save perhaps for the modestly interesting story line, basically the only trek new content to be found these days. since i stopped being a player 6 months ago, i have only played the new story missions as they are added, once each.

unlike player ships that are built around abilities, npcs are built around hitpoints, and designed to die, not live. DPS is a variable that can range from large to small, the only constant in defeating npcs, is time. it is a certainty that you will kill them no mater how little of your ships potential you tap, or how bad you are at the game. you can slap any bs difficulty modifier you want on it, it doesn't mater, all it does is lengthen the amount of time it takes.

this is not gameplay worth spending any of my finite existence on, especially with what the game engine is capable of, featured ONLY in pvp. from about season 2 through 9.
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Damian!!!!! :p

What we can do is trying to keep in touch with each other.

There will be other games where we can have fun and kill bad guys. ;)
    Post edited by ilhansk on
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »

That looks really really really good.

Really.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thissler wrote: »
    That looks really really really good.

Really.

Hey, I mentioned that game before,

I am not sure it will be the game for me, if it ends up being focused on PvP only. I really also need PVE with story normally..

But the gameplay footage makes me think it has a lot of the STO gameplay that we love so much. Maybe with a bit less fleshy clickies and all that, and a more narrower selection of archetypes. But it has the potential to be condensation of all what makes (or made) STO gameplay so fun for PvP...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You can come PvE with me! :P

I mostly grind out PvE queues for an hour a day, maybe pop into an Arena once a week now.

That looks like everything we wanted STO to be, instead of the Starfighters Online that we have now.
    edited May 2015
    Dreadnought has so many conceptual simillarities which makes me assume Star Trek Online may have served as one of their inspirational templates. I was wondering what if STO PvP got forked into a seperate game. :p

- class based PvP: Damage dealers, supporters, healers, cloaked vapers
    - weapon and ability loadouts, positioning, power management, pets (that probably can also be controlled when you run out of ships)
    - multiple game modes, including STO-like 5v5s

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews,18/dreadnought,82209.html

• bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I hope I am missing something about Dread. Cause to me it seems really overly simplistic. I am not seeing any real debuffing or buffing. I am not seeing shield facings (one health bar up down)

To me it looks like a really slow FPS with a space ship skin. (I hope I'm very wrong of course)
    edited May 2015
    It has buffing and shield facings. Don't know about debuffing.

AFAIK it seems to require lowering/raising shields for proper attacking/tanking. Similar to Street Fighter.

Closed Beta should be available soon.

edited May 2015
    It has buffing and shield facings. Don't know about debuffing.

AFAIK it seems to require lowering/raising shields for proper attacking/tanking. Similar to Street Fighter.

Closed Beta should be available soon.

Cool does look fun... just hope it has the depth to keep people around long term. :)
    edited May 2015
    Ya, so far we only have newsletters, commentary and internal gameplay footage from the devs. They have yet to release a playable beta. When it's out, then we will know more.

IMO where things can go wrong would be the business model: F2P, no P2W available. Will revenue generated by vanity items and skins and the like be enough to keep things afloat?

edited May 2015
    Ya, so far we only have newsletters, commentary and internal gameplay footage from the devs. They have yet to release a playable beta. When it's out, then we will know more.

IMO where things can go wrong would be the business model: F2P, no P2W available. Will revenue generated by vanity items and skins and the like be enough to keep things afloat?

I think in a game like that cosmetics could be enough... Your right though, if there selling golden ammo that will be the end of that imo.

Be nice to have a space game you can just jump in and fight in.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    I think in a game like that cosmetics could be enough... Your right though, if there selling golden ammo that will be the end of that imo.

Be nice to have a space game you can just jump in and fight in.
    Enh... doesn't seem profitable if people don't have a reason to pay.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Enh... doesn't seem profitable if people don't have a reason to pay.

It most MMOs cosmetics are all that is needed for the developer to turn a profit.

GW2 / TOR / RIFT... all examples of PVP games with ZERO P2W. They sell cosmetics and that is it. In GW2 you can have a furry backpack, and a flaming sword if you wish... in TOR you can dress your space barbie up with bikini bottoms or wicked looking storm trooper boots, or fire purple blaster bolts or swing black/pink saber crystals. You can't however buy more powerful anything for PvP (or PvE either)... ditto with Rift, you can pay to look cool if you like.

For a game like Dread that is hoping to be 100% PvP then it better have a balanced game... and that means no paid advantages.

The golden ammo junk in the tank games ect... sure those games are popular, however they are games that don't really make sense to sell cosmetics in. (who wants to pretty up there WW2 era tank... they already look right).

Dread should have no issues, making very basic looking free ships... and selling killer cosmetic upgrades. In fact adding gamble boxes to a game like that would be the way to go... 100% cosmetic gamble boxes. I hope they in fact have a market system setup as well... cause I could totally see stupid things like Pink engine trails ect selling for massive amounts of game currency. Things in TOR like the coolest looking helmets, the rarest lightsaber Crystals, and things like Rancor mounts sell for 20x what the cheapest stuff sells for. Which keeps people opening boxes, and spending money.

If they go the golden ammo route... yes in most peoples eyes the game won't be all that serious and not all that likely worth playing.
    edited May 2015

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    I don't remember why my interest wasn't as piqued last time you told me about this game.

You had an issue with the recoil from the cannons?
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That game looks too slow.

Looks like I would enjoy it for a short while, but then ignore it.

I have Elite and SC, haven't even bothered to touch them in months.

I need the pace of the battles in STO, with all of the wizardry and nuances of that game.

I guess i'll wait for Hilbert's game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vonednavonedna Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I tried a match a week ago after half a year break and damn the sure pimped the ingame effects...I was about to develop epilepsy.Of course the game is still broken ,people who are left "playing" don't know what they are doing and the lag is like a game feature.

short version: lol sto
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited June 2015
    vonedna wrote: »
    I tried a match a week ago after half a year break and damn the sure pimped the ingame effects...I was about to develop epilepsy.Of course the game is still broken ,people who are left "playing" don't know what they are doing and the lag is like a game feature.

short version: lol sto

It's sad that your final note is the best way to sum it up.
    LOLSTO
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Bye.

/10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I pop in here and there and still pvp when people are doing it. Even though my rep and spec trees are way low i was able to get to 60 on a few toons and toss together a couple ships that can do very well even with TRIBBLE gear. even got some 1vs1s in and killed some peeps!
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I havent logged in for about five months, before that I played for what, three weeks after a break of six months.

been uninstalled for a long long time now, since the new year at least.

Its hard to miss an ex girlfriend when you realize it was never love to begin with.

Thats how this game feels to me now. Good times sure, friends sure, but never something id pick up again, especially not after what I saw with DR came out. No way in hell.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Good Luck @thishorizon.

Come visit sometime.

And most of all
    Live long and Prosper, friend.
    (-_-) _\\//
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg