test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Textures, weapons and general light effects not showing up

Comments

• sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I'll throw in another S10 texture bug.

Way back when the game visibly worked if you loaded a character up in the tailor it may, for a moment, exhibit low-res textures to be replaced with high. Sometimes that still happens. Other times, it doesn't. Random facial and clothing textures are now often inappropriately left low-res. You may try one uniform on one session and find it a jarring mess but on the next visit (after logging or map changing) that might be appropriately high res but your face and some other uniform isn't showing up clearly.

No pattern, no fix found. Its just random bull****. :P

thats not a texture bug its just the textures loading up (or failing to) and this one a very old issue normally have to do with low/verylow end machines

im having issues who are rending the game literally unplayable, not because of "oh the graphics are ugly looking" i normally play the game on low/medium settings,
    i have a low/medium end machine and i cant see anything specially area of effect skills on the ground and during space portion my game just lag all over the place with ships flying dmg numbers showing all over the place BUT I CANT SEE ANYTHING and now an update now on the login screen of the game the dyson sphere have dissapeared but the star is still there

way to go cryptic....
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sch3ff3l wrote: »
    thats not a texture bug its just the textures loading up (or failing to) and this one a very old issue normally have to do with low/verylow end machines

im having issues who are rending the game literally unplayable, not because of "oh the graphics are ugly looking" i normally play the game on low/medium settings,
    i have a low/medium end machine and i cant see anything specially area of effect skills on the ground and during space portion my game just lag all over the place with ships flying dmg numbers showing all over the place BUT I CANT SEE ANYTHING and now an update now on the login screen of the game the dyson sphere have dissapeared but the star is still there

way to go cryptic....

1. Its a texture bug when textures aren't being loaded properly

2. Its certainly a new bug (came with season 10.)

3. A low end machine isn't involved here. The system may be involved with scaling graphics between high and low settings but as stated that system isn't working properly.

4. I appreciate you're frustrated and I know this is a "first world problem." But so what? A problem is a problem and I certainly did not say, indicate, or otherwise hint that the texture bug I cited was somehow to come before yours in the list of dev priorities. Its a bug, this is a technical feedback forum. Follow?

5. And before you bring up the question of relevance, we don't know what's relevant here. This is a bug relating to the texture rendering system. It could be related to your game ending problems (btw, did you ever try reinstalling?) and then it gain it may not (and probably doesn't.) But here's the point: WE can't say. We don't have the knowledge and I'll bet the experience either. All we can do is say what we see, so let's put all we can out there for the devs who can decide for thesmevles what does or does not pertain to your issues.

6. And even if it doesn't pertain to your issues, a thread about texture problems is a great place to put feedback about other texture problems (it saves the need to create n more threads about it and dump other extant issues down to the abyss of the unread forum back pages.) And at the very, very least its a bump for your OP. Now of course I'm not exclusively proving bug reports via forum posts (see. the in-game feature), but it helps to get the information out there in multiple channels so maybe it gets through and cryptic can improve the game as a whole, and not just those bits which are most significantly affecting you (though here's hoping they do).

Basically, don't get defensive about other bug reports in a bug reporting forum. The balance of probability is that there is still someone else out there with even greater problems than you have. If you want to start a pissing contest about "whose got the worst bug" then someone else is free to come in with their sad story and, according to your apparent attitude, invalidate your feedback.

So don't bother. Let feedback stand as feedback. This is the place for it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • archangelmortenarchangelmorten Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Maybe it's just my computer's hardware. Here are my specs.

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) 145 Processor (2812.56 MHz)
    Memory: 8192 MB
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
    Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series
    Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1077

The problem, of course, is that I can't afford to go out and buy a new gaming computer or any parts to make my existing one better. Fewer and fewer people can. I have a lifetime subscription to STO and I can't even get to the Captain's Table because the portal no longer appears in-game. Prior to the launch of Delta Rising and Iconian War, none of these bugs occurred, so I doubt it's simply that my computer is outdated. I filed another ticket, but don't expect a resolution any time soon.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lighting in the tailor is strange. Normally after first launching the game the lighting is set to 'Default' at the tailor, and it still is. The issue is the lighting is a lot brighter than the default lighting but is different then the 'Earth Spacedock' lighting. If you select 'Default' the lighting becomes darker and is the way the default setting always had been. No matter if you select 'Default' or any other lighting there is no way to go back to the original lighting unless you exit the game and relaunch it.

Personally I think this lighting should be the 'Default' setting, and maybe that was the intent. I don't know but it shouldn't be happening that there is a new lighting effect and once you switch the type of lighting you can't get it back.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dunno if this belongs here, but the suns in sector space seem to be lacking their glow. Is it just me or is this working as intended?
    edited May 2015

interesting... AMD Hardware does anyone else on the thread has AMD Hardware too?(i too use AMD)

my specs:
    CPU: AMD Sempron (tm) 145 Processor
    OS Version Windows 7 32-bit(okay im lazy to upgrade to 64) service pack 1
    Graphics card vendor:Asus
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon hd 5450 silent

if more people have AMD hardware i guess finally we have the common point for the problem STO do have an historic of problem with AMD graphics

please people for now on do post your specs on the thread

spocked thumb face...
    edited May 2015
    interesting... AMD Hardware does anyone else on the thread has AMD Hardware too?(i too use AMD)

my specs:
    CPU: AMD Sempron (tm) 145 Processor
    OS Version Windows 7 32-bit(okay im lazy to upgrade to 64) service pack 1
    Graphics card vendor:Asus
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon hd 5450 silent

if more people have AMD hardware i guess finally we have the common point for the problem STO do have an historic of problem with AMD graphics

please people for now on do post your specs on the thread

I filed another support ticket but haven't gotten anything as far as info is concerned. None of this happened until the launch of Season 10, so I doubt it's the AMD cards. Chances are the new software isn't working as well as it should.
    edited May 2015
    I filed another support ticket but haven't gotten anything as far as info is concerned. None of this happened until the launch of Season 10, so I doubt it's the AMD cards. Chances are the new software isn't working as well as it should.

yep... just like season 8 when some AMD users were hammered off the game due to bad optimization, well not just amd users but the vast majority who couldnt get into the game was from...

still would be good if the people do post theirs specs on the thread not juts for probably making my point or just create a spectre of people having the issue

spocked thumb face...
  • hanasmussenhanasmussen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello Star Trek staff and players, as I have this issue I am posting some information, videos and logs to help to fix it. Some months ago I was not experiencing this graphic problem. I already tried tweaking many options from the game and from my graphic card, but no change.

Computer information:

Windows XP Professional SP 3
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    RAM memory: 2048MB
    Graphic card: ATI RADEON HD 5450

Evidences:

This is how the gun and some light effects disappear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYVLBWqUExw

This is how the light effects in the ship disappear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-v6Vt01Yc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFNvsy0gFVk

This is how some effects in space combat disappear, sometimes I just see my ship exploding for no apparent reason, and probably the torpedoes that I received were invisible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1eq5WIH_k

This mission part was hard to complete as I did not saw light only when I got near of the console. The mission was about setting lights in a proper order.
    vhvz3t.png

Also in the character screen there are some light effects missing and no guns or devices are shown in the crew, also one character appears copied 3 times.
    16gzmly.png

DxDiag is posted as a registry of crashes by the game. Probably the crash log won't help but just in case.
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/c432a44c2ia5odo/DxDiag.txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/bph313lg7hkm848/Crash.txt

Other posts I have found about similar issue or may be the same
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1437861
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1418051

Suggestion: Please Star Trek staff notify feedback to users if you are considering post like these, due there are several players attending. Also would be nice to be more specific what kind of information do you require to work in the issue. I am posting a link as an example from a recent issue that was solved very nice with feedbacks.
    https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/232767-0027073-merged-graphics-problems-whith-new-uptdate-1471158/
    Thanks in advance, and good day to everyone! :)
  • fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too have a old pentium IV,windows XP and a nividia Geforce 8400 card,still everything was fine until season 10.the game is unplayable because on ground and space missions,some times you need the scanning affects to find your way.
    edited May 2015
    Likewise, icons no longer appear over the heads of NPC Contacts, making it more difficult to identify them in-game.
    edited May 2015
    sooo the dyson sphere on the log in screen is back...
    the gagets on the bridge officers on the character selection are not...
    and pretty much everything else are still broken...

no fix for us yet gents...

spocked thumb face...
  • dargalanddargaland Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What I have noticed is when you zoom in, you can see your weapon. But that's about the only time. ( Weird watching your toon beat the snot out off an enemy with its fist when it should be a sword.) Can't see other players weapons either. Space - can't see torps hitting and sometimes can't see beams hitting.

Machine Specs:

Win XP Pro SP 2

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.20 Ghz

2.0 GB RAM

EVGA nVidia GeForce 210 1024 MB DDR3

Graphics were OK until season 10 was released.
    edited May 2015
    this BS problem and the bug keeping us from playing our new fed delta recruits has been going on for at least three months! wake up people!
  • lerch2000lerch2000 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Same here seems to the older video cards with this issue not brand someone mentioned AMD cards. I got Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT and I'm having same issue you guys have been talking about. I would suggest you turn tickets in not post on these forums, when you post here there is a chance they never hear about the issue (these forums are kind of like a buffer).

Link: Support tab on top of games home page, whether or not they are being lazy at times I wonder (their patch quality is poor at best) but I'm sure they are working on other issues within the game, I mean there is plenty to fix that they let pass.

And yes they really do need to acknowledge this issue if any thing to ensure its paying customers that they are looking in on a fix and stop ignoring every one. Cryptic is being as Cryptic as ever with their so called support. Flood the support center with your tickets not the forums, sooner or later they will wake up over there.
    edited May 2015
    I filed yet another support ticket just now. This is what I wrote:
    I am experiencing the following problems:

Game freezes after playing any cinematic.

Ground Weapons, Torpedoes, Some Beams, and Space FX such as Sun Twinkles, NPC Contact Icons, and the Captains Table Nebula, do not show up in-game.

Lighting is glitching in certain maps.

These are my computer's specs:

And here is a thread detailing the various issues:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23932221&postcount=40

I have a life time subscription and these glitches, which did not appear until the launch of Delta Rising and Season 10, are preventing me from enjoying my game-play experience to the fullest. Please do something. Thank you.

I can't be the only one submitting support tickets. Who has heard back from Arc, Perfect World, or anyone in the tech department, and what was the response?
    edited June 2015
    i have being making tickets but it appears that the in-game ticket tab is not submitting them just created one now on the link to the support above when response come will be updating the thread on the situation.

just a tip dont issue tickets from in-game do it from the arc-website.

spocked thumb face...
    edited June 2015
    i have being making tickets but it appears that the in-game ticket tab is not submitting them just created one now on the link to the support above when response come will be updating the thread on the situation.

just a tip dont issue tickets from in-game do it from the arc-website.
    Thanks for the tip! I wondered why my previous ticket wasn't showing up. I got the following reply back when I checked my ticket history this morning. Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results did you get?
    Hello,

I understand that you are encountering crashing and game graphics issues. Please locate and delete the gameprefs.pref file on the game's installation folder: <install_dir>\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\gameprefs.pref

Kindly note that deleting this file will reset all your game preferences including keybinds, audio, and video settings to default. Afterwards, do a force verification of your game files. To do this,

1) First, shut down your PC and wait a few minutes. Then restart your PC.

2) Start the game launcher, and click on "Options" that can be found on the upper right side of the launcher window.

3) Under the "Patching" section, put a check mark on the "Force Verify" option on the game and select "Save". Let the game verify that your game client's files match the server-side versions of the files. It will also re-download any files that don't match.

4) This will take some time. Please be patient.

5) After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue(s) occur.

If the issue persists after trying the above solution, kindly reply to this ticket and we will gladly assist you further.

Regards,

Iluniri

Game Master

Perfect World Entertainment

http://support.arcgames.com/
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the tip! I wondered why my previous ticket wasn't showing up. I got the following reply back when I checked my ticket history this morning. Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results did you get?

someone was stating in game that he had run tests on his lap top and pc and on a friends pc.

His findings were that none of the files matched from computer to computer even after doing all the force verifys etc.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2015
    someone was stating in game that he had run tests on his lap top and pc and on a friends pc.

His findings were that none of the files matched from computer to computer even after doing all the force verifys etc.
    Yeah, their so-called solution didn't work at all. Now they're suggesting this, but that didn't work either.
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues with the game graphics. Please try increasing the Render Quality and Graphics Detail of the game. To do this,

1) Load the game up to the Character Selection Window

2) Click on the "Options" button that can be found on the lower right corner of the window

3) Go to the "Display" tab

4) On the dropdown menu labeled "Video Card", select "Direct3D 9"

5) Go to the "Graphics" tab

6) Adjust the "Render quality" and "Graphics Detail" by using the sliders

7) Click on the "Apply" button, and then click "OK"

8) Restart the game client

Regards,

Iluniri

Game Master

edited June 2015
    hello people got a response from the support as it follows:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! I understand that you are having trouble with the light effects and textures in-game as well as freezing.

Kindly try the following steps below:

1. In the Launcher, go to Options and check 'Disable On-Demand' patching. See if this works.
    2. You can then try to 'Force-Verify' to make sure your files are not corrupt or missing.
    3. Ensure a fast and stable internet. In addition, it is highly advisable to connect your computer via a direction connection when updating/patching than using wireless connection.
    4. If you have recently installed or removed an Anti-Virus Program, please remove it safely from your computer as some of the remnants of the program may still be blocking any updates. You can contact your Anti-Virus company and get a uninstaller that would completely remove their program.
    5. You could also try to create another profile from your computer that has Admin access to the games that enables them to update properly and see if that will be a fix.
    6. You can also try to run in Window/Safe Mode as well.

Here are some other possible solutions if you have not already done so:

1. Make sure your Internet Explorer, Javascript as well as Flash installed are updated. After updating them, please restart the computer/router as this work wonders.
    2. Make sure the game and your drivers (graphics, network, sound, motherboard, etc) are fully updated.
    3. You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.
    4. You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.
    5. At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game.
    6. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.
    7. Stop any processes that may be interfering with the networking and causing issues with your connection.
    8. Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster. You may also need to close programs such as Teamviewer.
    9. You may need to uninstall the game, making sure to remove any excess files, then re-install it.

If the above does not work, please respond with what exactly did you try from the above, and what were the results? (If you have tried them already, let us know exactly which you have tried)

Regards,
    Ashynt
    Game Master

i have updated the ticket when aswer come will be updating the thread on the situation and if any of this steps works for someone cheers for you brave warrior :D

spocked thumb face...
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    hello people got a response from the support as it follows:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! I understand that you are having trouble with the light effects and textures in-game as well as freezing.

Kindly try the following steps below:

1. In the Launcher, go to Options and check 'Disable On-Demand' patching. See if this works.
    2. You can then try to 'Force-Verify' to make sure your files are not corrupt or missing.
    3. Ensure a fast and stable internet. In addition, it is highly advisable to connect your computer via a direction connection when updating/patching than using wireless connection.
    4. If you have recently installed or removed an Anti-Virus Program, please remove it safely from your computer as some of the remnants of the program may still be blocking any updates. You can contact your Anti-Virus company and get a uninstaller that would completely remove their program.
    5. You could also try to create another profile from your computer that has Admin access to the games that enables them to update properly and see if that will be a fix.
    6. You can also try to run in Window/Safe Mode as well.

Here are some other possible solutions if you have not already done so:

1. Make sure your Internet Explorer, Javascript as well as Flash installed are updated. After updating them, please restart the computer/router as this work wonders.
    2. Make sure the game and your drivers (graphics, network, sound, motherboard, etc) are fully updated.
    3. You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.
    4. You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.
    5. At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game.
    6. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.
    7. Stop any processes that may be interfering with the networking and causing issues with your connection.
    8. Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster. You may also need to close programs such as Teamviewer.
    9. You may need to uninstall the game, making sure to remove any excess files, then re-install it.

If the above does not work, please respond with what exactly did you try from the above, and what were the results? (If you have tried them already, let us know exactly which you have tried)

Regards,
    Ashynt
    Game Master

i have updated the ticket when aswer come will be updating the thread on the situation and if any of this steps works for someone cheers for you brave warrior :D

they seem to assume its a technical issue on your end and not bad programming. They couldn't even update a few icons with out causing major issues.

the only thing they didn't suggest is you defrag your hd.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Textures on uniforms/outfits still look rather bad but only on some of them.

I noticed something else: my Federation Type I Phaser ground weapon is solid black. It seems to be this way no matter what map I'm in. It was like this at DS9, fleet dilithium mine, fleet starbase, and even my ship interior. Something is definitely wrong. Weapons, tricorders, and PADDs that my boffs are holding at the character select screen are still solid black, and the dyson sphere in the background at the char select screen seems to be missing (that is if it's suppose to even be there). :(
    edited June 2015
    they seem to assume its a technical issue on your end and not bad programming. They couldn't even update a few icons with out causing major issues.

And their latest response.
    Hello,

Thank you for providing a DxDiag log. Please try running the game in safe mode. To do this,

1) Start the game client

2) Click on "Options" that can be found on the upper right side of the launcher window.

3) Check the “Safe Mode” option

4) Save your settings and re-launch the game client.

If the issue persists even while running the game in safe mode, let me know.

Regards,

Iluniri

Game Master

I told them for the thousandth time to follow the YouTube links that show the problems happening in-game and they keep offering suggestions that imply it MUST be the user's computer or game settings that are to blame.
    edited June 2015

the cant suggest me to defrag i recently bought a new clean HDD (the old one that already had the problem died out)i've told them that on the ticket.

i recieved a request to anexx the DXdiag log on the ticket.
    i just updated the mentioned. waiting now for an awser will update the thread on the situation soon as i get one.
    i thing i can actually be going somewhere beside the typicall "oh the problem its on your end".

spocked thumb face...
    edited June 2015
    geezz,the problem is the game,Not the player's pc! start of season season 10 is to blame!
    edited June 2015
    fletch57 wrote: »
    geezz,the problem is the game,Not the player's pc! start of season season 10 is to blame!
    Apparently they can't seem to wrap their minds around the concept.
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Kindly have your graphics card drivers updated and after the update, please try to log into the game to check on the graphics. If the issue still persist, we would like to ask for an updated directx diagnostics.

Regards,

Ashynt

Game Master

• beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Apparently they can't seem to wrap their minds around the concept.

lol wtf update your graohics drivers? they told me that to as i am haveing that problem with inviso weapons and weapons fire plus either the heralds and their ships or their skills causeing me massive lag after S10 went live before everything was fine but everything on my end is up-to-date.

edited June 2015
    my pc is old as dirt,but everything was running fine until season 10. hey arc, don't release major updates without checking first to see if they work!:rolleyes::mad: