test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battle OUTRAGEOUS Exchange prices with an accumulating Posting Fee

Comments

• bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »

Now that we have the upgrade system, people aren't selling low rank weapons for low rank use. They're selling them for the collection of mods they have. There is no more "ranked beyond it's effectiveness", if a weapon is decent enough.

Does this suck for low-level/new players who are just looking for some beams to stick on their ship? Yep. But that's not who those weapons are being sold to/for, unfortunately. (This makes me remember how hilariously overpriced the WoW market for level 19 gear was, back in the days of people making super-tweaked pvp characters for the lv10-19 bracket.)

The other end of that... is if you are leveling and looking for MK VI.. .MK VII or MK VIII weapons... you can now find tons of junk mod Ultra Rares on the market for 200-600k each. That is hardly over priced. If you are looking for weapons to use till you can slot mk 12 a set like that will last you till you get there.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    That is cause you can upgrade them. I have done several items like this and got very nice gear. At times cheaper than buying it outright off the exchange. However with me doing crafting, I just make mine and then upgrade.

exactly, that is the point of the system. i upgraded many of mine gear in the same way. if you see something cheap on excange, of course you will buy it.

but who don't wont to craft, he have to pay. and i will sell him crtDx3 for 7.5 milion any time.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Some of the prices are justified, others I say is just too much. It all depends on what it is. Usually if buy Doffs, lock box weapons, and "cheaper" lock box ships. Like the Malon, APU, etc.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited May 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    The other end of that... is if you are leveling and looking for MK VI.. .MK VII or MK VIII weapons... you can now find tons of junk mod Ultra Rares on the market for 200-600k each. That is hardly over priced. If you are looking for weapons to use till you can slot mk 12 a set like that will last you till you get there.

right. funy thing for me personaly, is that before I all ways used white 3,5,7... till lvl 50, and then bought very rares, depending what i wonted. why do you need perfect proc. on lvl.3 is beyond me.

OP if you are new, you need a fleet, so some can explained to you what do to in start.
    I will invite you to mine, and glady explain how to do things in the beginning.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cryptic doesnt care about loyal players. They just want to burn through new ones. If a handful of Ferengi whales are driving inflation up every month, doesnt that run off 1000 new customers per every 1 sucker who pays those prices and stays active beyond a year?

Do we just let inflation run wild until new and old players just stop playing the game after realizing the quality of the game and the volume of content release isnt worth the price to be moderately geared just to hang in PvE and play the story missions? Maybe PW doesnt care about running this game into the ground with greed, but doesnt CBS care? Is it that easy for CBS to find a replacement company to build STO 2 if STO 1 crashes and burns? The bad rep of STO 1 greed will hurt potential customer numbers for STO 2, even if its ran by different people.

Do we really see this game going another 5 years at this pace?
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
    edited May 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    If someone is willing to waste there 40 sales slots why do you care ? Don't buy it if you don't want it.

Some people realize that there is a market selling lower level gear cause no one else does. So your options are see the stuff you consider over priced and ignore it... or see nothing at all.

Also perhaps there is value in things, that you simply don't understand.

For instance... there is a very good reason MK II weapons with the right mods are worth more then end game weapons with junk mods. If you don't understand why there priced the way they are perhaps you are simply missing some bit of knowledge.

In the case of MK II... if I want to craft 200 MK 2s... so I can pull 3 or 4 with CrtDx3 and sell them for 5 mil each... how does that effect you. Cause people pay that for specific low level items every day.

DAFUQ! People pay MILLIONS for gear that low? Idiots LOL. TRIBBLE the modifiers, where can you even hang in PvE with gear that low?
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    We all hate it. Gear priced so outrageously you assume the seller is using the exchange for storage and or insanely greedy.

What about a 1% of total lot price posting fee that charges 1% for every day item is on exchange, maxing out at 14 days before the item is returned to you?

Example, you post an item for $100,000. The posting fee is 1% for every 24 hours its on the exchange. If it sells in 1 minute, its 1%, if it sells in 23 hrs and 59 minutes, its 1%. You get 99,000 EC back on a 100G lot. But if you were greedy, and overpriced for the item, and it sat on the exchange for 14 days, the item is returned to you, and 14,000 deducted from your bank account. And the system would require you to put that $14,000 in as a deposit to make sure you were good for it up front. If you keep putting up the same item priced so bad it wont sell, it hurts the SELLER'S wallet for their greed.

Would this be a fair system for sellers and buyers to help make sure things are priced to sell? Instead of asking insane prices for low end gear? Can this be the cure for exchange inflation?

If you think items are over priced do this

Grind up and craft the items then sell it and is that worth the price it cost you in grinding time to make the pricey item

buy the item for your real money then sell it for ec is that worth it ?

How much is your time worth in EC ?
    How much is your CASH worth in EC ?

If you think its easy to make or cheep in cash to aquire why arnt you doing it ?

Seems to me you got no idea what your complaining about
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the day you cheapskates get your way is the day its no longer profitable to punt on lockboxes while recouping $ off consolation prizes. the result will be fewer keys sold, less boxes opened, less crafting, and yet again upward pressure on items.
    edited May 2015
    Cryptic doesnt care about loyal players. They just want to burn through new ones. If a handful of Ferengi whales are driving inflation up every month, doesnt that run off 1000 new customers per every 1 sucker who pays those prices and stays active beyond a year?

Do we just let inflation run wild until new and old players just stop playing the game after realizing the quality of the game and the volume of content release isnt worth the price to be moderately geared just to hang in PvE and play the story missions? Maybe PW doesnt care about running this game into the ground with greed, but doesnt CBS care? Is it that easy for CBS to find a replacement company to build STO 2 if STO 1 crashes and burns? The bad rep of STO 1 greed will hurt potential customer numbers for STO 2, even if its ran by different people.

oh, for a healthy game, we definitely don't wont wales. sadly you served your purpose, but no one is obligated to you/them. they payed to win/brag. and there is no more of that.
    this game definitely is going places in future, especially when they wake up, and realize that they need to fix pvp, and make pvp end content. once they do that they are done.

sto2? lol, why would they do that, sure maybe in 5 years or so, but sadly for you, you figured numbers wrong, game is growing, only one that have left it are people used to get things for nothing, and there is no more of that.

i have ton of fun in this game, 4 years after i still have friends, fleet, and we play around every day. the longest streak i have whit any game is this one.
    edited May 2015
    DAFUQ! People pay MILLIONS for gear that low? Idiots LOL. TRIBBLE the modifiers, where can you even hang in PvE with gear that low?

This proves you do not understand the game at all.....That level 2 gear you scoff at is the most powerful gear in the game ! that mk-12 loot or rep gear is the weakest :P

join a experienced fleet and learn the mechanics of the game because right now you don't understand

I am not trolling you just stating the facts

edited May 2015

This is why they pay for it....

When you upgrade a weapon... and it gains a rarity level. (Very Rare -> Ultra rare) It gains one random mod.

There are people that have been playing this game for 5 years and have stockpiles of EC / Dilihtium ect. So they want what they consider to be "perfect" mods. (most people don't care, but the OCD type do).

So the CHEAPEST way to role for the mods you want.

Is to use MK 2 weapons.

You take a MK 2... say Antiproton Beam array mk II [crtd]x3

You apply a Experimental Upgrade or an Omega upgrade + one Blue Research booster.

This will give you 5-6 Rolls (depends if you crit or not, if you do you get one more chance) for ONE upgrade cost. (because MK 2 upgrades very easily) If you used the high end upgrades I mentioned this will give you a 20% chance to upgrade the items rarity EVERY level. (so with out getting to complicated this formula 1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y ) details the chances to upgrade to UR... and its 73%... the math is more complicated on chances for it to go GOLD on one upgrade, however its around 23% or so). (Edit.. the omega upgrades are 20% base so 40% chance with a booster... using an omega upgrade almost guarantees a GOLD mk 8 item)

So you see... some people take 10 items at a time... and apply one Upgrade with a booster to every one of them... and make themselves 2-3 GOLD mk 7-8 items. IF that item gets the mod they want they keep it and upgraded it to mk 14 to use on there pimped out end game ships. If it gets mods they don't want like say a [dmg] or something they will often dump them selling them dirt cheap on the exchange. (cause there is now way that weapon mod will ever change).

Do you NEED to have [acc/dmg] [CrtD]x4 guns.... no... but some people are looking for beams with OVER... or weapons with PEN. If it matters to them... mk 2 is the CHEAPEST way to get it. As for people buying purple MK 2s with good mods... its simple. Crafting 100s of weapons looking for the right mods is a pain, its very time consuming... it isn't free, but it is cheaper then just buying them from someone else. I ONCE crafted upwards of 500 or so weapons getting a full set of the mod I wanted. I just vendered 99% of the cast offs... It took me close to 3 hours... I could have on the other hand just spent 30-40 million and spent 2 min. Make sense now ?
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

Go play with the upgrade system, both with crafted Mk II items and Rep/fleet items then run the numbers. Pay special attention to the rarity upgrades and compare the cost. Not to mention certain modifers like Dmg are practically worthless unless your planning on tickling your targets to death.

And to be honest and I think the likes of Woodwitty might be able to confirm this. A ISA run a few weeks back, featuring a fellow in a Scimitar using Mk II weaponry placed 2nd on the dps log, out performing a fully tricked out Mk XIV epic T6 ship by quite a substantial margin.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

edited May 2015

Its NOT inflation.

Its De-Flation.

If it wasn't for those of us selling tons of stuff... the prices would GO UP.

Get 10 people like me doing the same thing and prices stay down... because we undercut each other... and everyone of us is always looking for opportunities.

For instance... say I notice there is only one Temproal Science ship up for 250 mil. No one opens those lockboxes often anymore... because the boobsie prices suck. You could spend 500 million opening those boxes to pull one science ship, and have 400 Mini Doff packs to go with (so you spent 500 million to make 360mil... that would be stupid) However perhaps the stock also runs dry on the traits that come out of there.. well then perhaps the whales start opening that box a bit.

If I pull a ship... I sell it for 240 mil... so you just saved 10 mil.

The bottom line is... the stuff out of the current boxes pretty much is always Undervalued. The stuff out of the old boxes... wouldn't even be on the exchange with out the "Ferengi Whales". Because no one else in there right mind would blow keys on those things. There a massive gamble. I have some days honestly spent 500million buying keys... and ended up with 200mil the next day... I can afford to take that risk. (because other days I'll double). If I loose 300million every day for 2 weeks I won't run out of EC. ;)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nah, we don't need fees.

What we *do* need, however, is an EvE Online style Exchange, with buy/sell orders and stuff (yes, I was a carebear, cowering in my station, doing industry). But I'll settle for a wildcard Search button, for now. :P Seriously, the latter is long overdue.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why I upgrade isn't for the Mods or Spec of the gear. I'm usually after say a Pulsewave rifle or dual cannons for a new ship. If I can't get it from a mission or something I kept in loot. Then I create a low level version. Then upgrade it up to level to make good use. So to me this helped out a lot as I gearing up my characters.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Nah, we don't need fees.

What we *do* need, however, is an EvE Online style Exchange, with buy/sell orders and stuff (yes, I was a carebear, cowering in my station, doing industry). But I'll settle for a wildcard Search button, for now. :P Seriously, the latter is long overdue.

Or they could just give me back my search by time expire. ;) lol
    edited May 2015
    Been playing casually for 5 years. So thats where my complaints come from, remembering old exchange prices before lock boxing screwed up everything even for guys like me who dont lock box. Sure Ive sold a few keys here and there over the years, but Im not a gambler. And now even crafting is gambling. I was just shocked people wanted low mk items as I heard you didnt get the modifiers it started with, and the cost to craft it up beyond mk 12 was just ridiculous. Ive dabbed into the crafting system and Im afraid to put in my mk 12 gear, like my Vesta aux canons, and having them come out not how I want them.

Dmg mods suck? Those were my favorite. Always figured I was getting in more damage per 5 min than having crit d or h and assuming theyd go off, meanwhile a steady dmg3 was pounding away in the same 5 mins. I have a few of those on some ships, but usually just 1 and the rest dmg.
  • elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Another factor to consider is that Cryptic doesn't care about EC.

The only currencies they care about are Dilithium and Zen, because real $ is tied in there. Maybe Marks, since they can be used as a way to encourage people to log in daily/grind more.

They gain nothing from EC, since you can't convert EC into Dil or Zen. You can convert Dil/Zen to EC by buying C-Store items and selling them, but that gives them what they want.

Technically you can buy contraband off of the exchange which you then exchange for Dilithium.

So in an indirect way the amount of EC it takes to buy 5 Contraband=2,000 Dil
    edited May 2015
    Been playing casually for 5 years. So thats where my complaints come from, remembering old exchange prices before lock boxing screwed up everything even for guys like me who dont lock box. Sure Ive sold a few keys here and there over the years, but Im not a gambler. And now even crafting is gambling. I was just shocked people wanted low mk items as I heard you didnt get the modifiers it started with, and the cost to craft it up beyond mk 12 was just ridiculous. Ive dabbed into the crafting system and Im afraid to put in my mk 12 gear, like my Vesta aux canons, and having them come out not how I want them.

Dmg mods suck? Those were my favorite. Always figured I was getting in more damage per 5 min than having crit d or h and assuming theyd go off, meanwhile a steady dmg3 was pounding away in the same 5 mins. I have a few of those on some ships, but usually just 1 and the rest dmg.

Crit rate is very consistent these days.

Science players tend to use more torps anyway which mostly ends up being rep torps. (so no need to craft stuff or worry about mods).

Tacs can sustain crit rates over 30% now, so CrtD is the highest value mod right now.

The cost of the mk 2 weapons... is related to the upgrade costs. It is in fact cheaper to upgrade mk 2 to mk 14, even if you sell off 60% of what you craft because it gets a bad mod. Comparing costs to upgrading lockbox/fleet/rep weaponry, because it costs more to upgrade that stuff. It also is starting at a high MK at only Very Rare... which means very expensive rolls to try and make it go Ultra rare... never mind Gold level.

You can reliably make MK 2s go gold with high end upgrades.

This is an example for you .

If I upgrade 10 MK 2 Very rare weapons. With Experimental Tech. (once to bring them to mk 7 or 8)

It will cost me around 11k in Dilithium...
    If you buy the upgrades and the boosters it will cost around 2.3 Mil each (or 23 mil)

Of those 10... 2-3 will be gold... 2-3 will be Ultra Rare... and the best won't upgrade at all.

Of the 2-3 that go Gold... 1 of them might have the mod you want.

So you keep that and it will now be a MK 8... and it will cost you around 20-40k D to upgrade it and 10-30mil EC (you can use cheap tech and more D or less D and more expensive tech) However you won't have to worry about upgrades AT ALL because you should only be upgrading gold stuff now.

You can then recoup some of your costs by selling off the stuff with mods you don't want... this is why I was saying you can get good deals on mk 6-8 stuff, because there are a lot of cast offs on the market. There is also the odd person that doesn't care about a mod combo you may love. For instance a few months ago, I scored a gold mk 7 crtdx3 pen for way undervalue. I'm sure they where rolling for CRTDx4... imo though the pen is better anyway. So it was a steal for me.

It all goes to how long stuff takes you to make.

Really though... you can do all the end game content with any mods you want... and mk 14 is a pretty big boost to dmg... but if its not gold it isn't really the end of the world. The difference isn't massive... some people just want to have the best.
    edited May 2015

Everyones character and that characters needs are different , You may not spend a dime on lobi Gear or may be a human with a low Crit chance

CrtD may not be good for your character for many reasons your CrtH may be terrible and depending on how you play may stay that way for a long time

If you craft CrtH X 3 weapons and upgraded them and perhaps get a CrtHx4 with pen and dmg it would be like running APA full time on your ship 8% Crit chance

That would do a serious amount of more damage than what your using now

CrtD is pretty worthless if you don't make a crit in the first place so like I said the standard cookie cutter build might not apply to you or it may that depends on a lot of factors not covered here

like this person

A human without access to fleet gear or lacks the fleet credits to buy tac consoles or romulan SROs from the fleet embassy but can craft and make weapons

This person needs CrtH weapons and if he makes AP weapons he gets 20 CriD as a bonus that will come into play as the character improves over time

• hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about we battle OUTRAGEOUS Exchange price suggestions like OP's with a tax on the OP's main account?

Proportional to the number of players who have posted against them?

I'm sure a few players wouldn't mind taking extra EC, and if no EC, then the Dil, and if no Dil, then the Zen, and if no Zen, then the equipment on your ships. :eek:
  • meldrithpwmeldrithpw Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can't say I'm on board with this idea.

CO (Champions Online) uses a system similar to that the OP suggests--which has 2 major drawbacks.

first off, because it costs to post, it INCREASES (not decreases) the cost of posted items. people looking to sell stuff inevitably pass on any increased cost to the consumer. Secondly, it prevents the poor guy that's lucky enough to get that ultra-rare drop from being able to post it at a rate commiserate with it's actual value.

In the end, the only real benefit for having an exchange fee is that it borks those players that are using the exchange as extra storage space.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We all hate it. Gear priced so outrageously you assume the seller is using the exchange for storage and or insanely greedy.

What about a 1% of total lot price posting fee that charges 1% for every day item is on exchange, maxing out at 14 days before the item is returned to you?

Example, you post an item for $100,000. The posting fee is 1% for every 24 hours its on the exchange. If it sells in 1 minute, its 1%, if it sells in 23 hrs and 59 minutes, its 1%. You get 99,000 EC back on a 100G lot. But if you were greedy, and overpriced for the item, and it sat on the exchange for 14 days, the item is returned to you, and 14,000 deducted from your bank account. And the system would require you to put that $14,000 in as a deposit to make sure you were good for it up front. If you keep putting up the same item priced so bad it wont sell, it hurts the SELLER'S wallet for their greed.

Would this be a fair system for sellers and buyers to help make sure things are priced to sell? Instead of asking insane prices for low end gear? Can this be the cure for exchange inflation?

Yes, this is allmost a wondeful idea, but needs a little tweak. 1% is far to small at the amount of EC those rotten ferengi wannabes have. Much better a 5% tax per day. And the EC to be automaticly witdrawed, as the days pass, directly from inv or bank. If no more EC or its removed right before the tax for the next day comes, the item to be taken out from exchange and put into mail.
    This way, the longer it stays in exchange, the longer the fee goes up. So it will encourage low and fair prices. And it will deter the exchange "players". This will stimulate and create a fast and dinamic economy based on actually supply and demand, not as it is now a stagnant and speculative one based on cornering markets, resellls, "sitting" on items until they get expensive and other low practices.

Indeed this is a trully great idea and it would cut off inflation since the exchange will "eat" i.e. destroy alot of EC this way. But... it will never be implemented since I sugested something like this a year or more ago when they nerf lots of EC sources. Cryptic likes its ferengis:(
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is what happens when you have a cash shop driven economy.
    Just do like other games. 48 hour max time limit + flat tax fee at time of posting. If item doesn't sell the fee is refunded. If item sells, fee is taken out of the sale price. Not really many options as long as lock box and research gambling are a big part of the game.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I smell a Socialist... :mad:

More like an economist, you know like e-bay!
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Another factor to consider is that Cryptic doesn't care about EC.

The only currencies they care about are Dilithium and Zen, because real $ is tied in there. Maybe Marks, since they can be used as a way to encourage people to log in daily/grind more.

They gain nothing from EC, since you can't convert EC into Dil or Zen. You can convert Dil/Zen to EC by buying C-Store items and selling them, but that gives them what they want.

Actually they do, why else would they have nerfed EC intakes like the old tour the galaxy and, vendor loot prices?
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Then all good stuff will disappear from exchange and can only be found on the trading channels.
    And then specially for you if you come there you can pay the extra fee if you want anything (only you).

I have played games where this goes on and, it really doesn't effect the market as much as you might think!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am constantly amazed and dismayed by how many people seem unable to grasp basic supply and demand.

That said, to the OP:
    I submit that, as a casual player, you have little or no need for any of the "overpriced" items on the Exchange. The stuff you get from missions, Featured Episodes, any Reputations you've put the time into grinding, and/or your Fleet will serve you just fine for the vast majority of the game. It may help you to consider the Exchange, the crafting system, etc etc as a whole other game - one that's played by people chasing those top few percentage points of effectiveness, to do Elite STFs, PvP each other at that level, and so on. That's not the (part of the) game you're playing, so why should you care?

Embrace the Star Trek experience, and let go of your hate for the whales and DSP-fiends. If anything, they're paying to keep the lights on, so you don't have to.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Selling fee/ tax? I've never noticed it. Then again, I only sell stuff that is of no use to me, so getting anything from it is great.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the only time i find things outrageously overpriced is when MKXII gear is costing more than GOLD MK XIV its actually the case with specific consoles like tac consoles etc.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You can treat this thread as a learning experience:

- 5 million EC mark II items are not overpriced if they are CrtD x3.

- Lockbox and lobi ships are not overpriced compared to gaining lobi or opening lock boxes

- The same with consoles like Plasmonic Leech -- you need to gather and open a pile of lockboxes to get one, which will cost a lot more than paying the EC

- The 40-item limit means that people generally are not using the exchange as bulk item storage

- All this tax would do is drive prices higher since the cost would be added in to the sale price.

So you should hope Cryptic ignores this suggestion.