test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Risa-Event currency - Bind on account?

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
Since how the new currency is working opposed to the old one (only need 1x maxing it for 1 ship account-wide) it would add to diversity on Risa if it where account bound instead of character bound, without costing much more than a dev investing 6 sec to click the "BoA" checkbox on the item :)

Players would need the same time on Risa to get the ship but could show off more chars if so inclined.
Post edited by theanothername on

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hmm.....it would work if they made it so you could only do the event for the currency once per day per account. Otherwise players with 25+ characters would be able to run the event on each and get the ship for free in the first day by transferring the currency to a single character who gets the ship.

I am curious though. If they don't do that, what do players do with extra currency on their alts? Only 1 character is needed to unlock the ship account wide so there is no point to doing the daily event on alts. Players would demand there be some sort of trade in system like they did with the retired pearls from previous years.

Honestly I think how it should work is, yes, make the summer event currency to get the ship be bound to account, only allow 1 character per day per account to do the daily event, and after you earn enough currency to get the ship you can't earn any more of the currency (in other words - limited to doing the daily 25 times per account for the currency to get the ship. After you reach 1,000 you can't get anymore.).

That would accomplish their goal of players not getting the ship on the first day (unless they spend lobi to buy the currency if they haven't changed that) and prevent players from stockpiling the currency hoping for some sort of trade in deal. The guy in charge at Cryptic had explained that players were stockpiling the currency on alts to get the ship on the first day the following year (and not participate in the event afterwards), and the reason for the change to the currency each year is so players are compelled to actually participate in the event.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since how the new currency is working opposed to the old one (only need 1x maxing it for 1 ship account-wide) it would add to diversity on Risa if it where account bound instead of character bound, without costing much more than a dev investing 6 sec to click the "BoA" checkbox on the item :)

Players would need the same time on Risa to get the ship but could show off more chars if so inclined.

If there is also a handy "this mission can be done only once per account per day" button, that might be a good idea.

If there isn't... It's not a bad idea, but there are many ideas that are not bad but require resources that could be spend on even better ideas instead.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Doh, totally forgot about that daily for alts & getting more on one day with more alts :P

But then again. It does not matter. If one ship req. 1000x currency (which gets unusable/deleted after the event) & you grind 2000x with two chars (each day once each char) you get the ship with one and whatever (if any) additional with the other (all at once). Same as if you get like 2000x with 10 chars in a shorter amount of days but longer stay at Risa per Day.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Doh, totally forgot about that daily for alts & getting more on one day with more alts :P

But then again. It does not matter. If one ship req. 1000x currency (which gets unusable/deleted after the event) & you grind 2000x with two chars (each day once each char) you get the ship with one and whatever (if any) additional with the other (all at once). Same as if you get like 2000x with 10 chars in a shorter amount of days but longer stay at Risa per Day.

Getting the prize on the first day is the sole reason they retired the old ships/currency to begin with. It isn't healthy for their "metrics", despite having people spend the same/more time, just different (when you massed currency bfore to get the ship next year early you had to stay longer to grind as well).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    not gonna happen so why bother asking?

the drops for the ship project is bound to character and will not change.

they want you to play each day to get their metrics up.

the favors are not bound and can be sold on the exchange or mailed or sent to account bank...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Getting the prize on the first day is the sole reason they retired the old ships/currency to begin with. It isn't healthy for their "metrics", despite having people spend the same/more time, just different (when you massed currency bfore to get the ship next year early you had to stay longer to grind as well).

Its also not healthy to enable people to double or triple the intended grind of a single event. Space it out, limit it to one grind per season, and maybe people won't burn out as quickly. And hey, that might incidently be good for the "metrics" (ie. statistics [metrics BTW are measurements taken directly from a single source, they do not deal with populations]. Its rather sad when the use of direct evidence is used snearingly) but its also good for the player base which those stastics reflect.

Personally it just seems rather pointless to enable multiple characters to contribute to a single event grind. Faction, class, species, none of it actually matters when it comes to the floater challenge so what use is there in enabling an alternating or a (within-account) cooperative appraoch?

If you keep the days/ship the same then its just fluff. If you allow people to earn the ships more quickly you increase the chances of them burning out (which is bad for the long-term health of the game, as well as individual sanity.)

Basically there's just not enough to these alternatives to justify changing form the current scheme. Add more mechanics, add more faction/profession specific depth, and there you might have something. But without those major gameplay changes its perfectly reasonable to keep things as they are now.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am curious though. If they don't do that, what do players do with extra currency on their alts? Only 1 character is needed to unlock the ship account wide so there is no point to doing the daily event on alts. Players would demand there be some sort of trade in system like they did with the retired pearls from previous years.

I was hoping for this also but we will need to wait till the event launches or see if there are any further announcements on the subject, its a shame if we cant trade the new tokens as I enjoy doing the floater challenge and would do it on all my main characters to get some free shinnies.
    I will be quite disappointed if they don't implement something even if it means we have to hold over extras till after the event hopefully not till next year though.
    Honestly I think how it should work is, yes, make the summer event currency to get the ship be bound to account, only allow 1 character per day per account to do the daily event, and after you earn enough currency to get the ship you can't earn any more of the currency (in other words - limited to doing the daily 25 times per account for the currency to get the ship. After you reach 1,000 you can't get anymore.).

but if they did this you would definitely not be able to get any extras to trade in for shinnies and also I really cant see the benefit in this if you can only run it once per day per account and after you have 1000 for the ship and not any more, there would be no point in doing it on different characters, I just cant see whats to be gained from this, you might as well just do it on the one character.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The sole reason they killed the old currency is to get you to play the event more over a course of time. The Pearls were character bound before. I'm very sure it's going to stay Character bound with the upcoming event. Because you being able to get Pearls on different characters and gather them up for 1 purchase defeats the entire purpose of Cryptic wanting to have you stay in the event longer.

Not that there ever was a problem with event participation on Risa before.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2015
    Its also not healthy to enable people to double or triple the intended grind of a single event. Space it out, limit it to one grind per season, and maybe people won't burn out as quickly. And hey, that might incidently be good for the "metrics" (ie. statistics [metrics BTW are measurements taken directly from a single source, they do not deal with populations]. Its rather sad when the use of direct evidence is used snearingly) but its also good for the player base which those stastics reflect.

Personally it just seems rather pointless to enable multiple characters to contribute to a single event grind. Faction, class, species, none of it actually matters when it comes to the floater challenge so what use is there in enabling an alternating or a (within-account) cooperative appraoch?

If you keep the days/ship the same then its just fluff. If you allow people to earn the ships more quickly you increase the chances of them burning out (which is bad for the long-term health of the game, as well as individual sanity.)

Basically there's just not enough to these alternatives to justify changing form the current scheme. Add more mechanics, add more faction/profession specific depth, and there you might have something. But without those major gameplay changes its perfectly reasonable to keep things as they are now.

although I can live with the fact that you can only do the event for the ship once a day for 25 days with one character I really don't see what harm there is in letting other characters do the event daily also and for the full 35 days to get extra rewards.

I disagree with your burn out theory, the mission only takes a few minutes for each character so even if you have 10 characters your still only looking at about an hour a day and most players probably would not do anywhere near this and only then until they get bored anyway.

I really cant see the difference with this and letting players grind stfs or delta missions multiple times on multiple characters to their hearts content.

the player will know when he has had enough for the day and will most likely limit the amount of characters he does this with to 3 or 4 anyway.

and some players like my self might really enjoy doing the floater challenge cos its fun fun fun.

lets face it theres no limit on the power board and egg hunt floater thing for multiple characters, players could do these 24 hrs a day for however many times a day the missions run if they wished.

also look at the CC and mirror events, they positively encourage you to play on multiple characters and well beyond getting the main prize by offering dil and marks for extras, I know these events are a bit shorter but like I said the players will know when they've had enough.

I played the winter race with all my main (3) characters for the same reason, I enjoy doing it and actually was quite disappointed when they made it so you only needed to do it once with alts.

edited May 2015

I disagree with your burn out theory, the mission only takes a few minutes for each character so even if you have 10 characters your still only looking at about an hour a day and most players probably would not do anywhere near this and only then until they get bored anyway.

The same event repeated has diminishing returns. Its a basic fact of human psychology (its called boredom. In MMO terms it could lead to "burning out" if only for the Risa event, if not for the entire game, and its something that metering repetitive playtime does tremendously help with (see. daily mark bonuses, PVE CD's, and weekly episode rewards. Its to encourage moderation in spite of stated grinding requirements.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2015
    The same event repeated has diminishing returns. Its a basic fact of human psychology (its called boredom. In MMO terms it could lead to "burning out" if only for the Risa event, if not for the entire game, and its something that metering repetitive playtime does tremendously help with (see. daily mark bonuses, PVE CD's, and weekly episode rewards. Its to encourage moderation in spite of stated grinding requirements.)

I don't care anything about that I know what I enjoy and how many times I enjoy doing it, I park my ship and stay in the event zone from beginning to end, it doesn't come around that often and I like to make the most of it while its there, if that means I can only do the floater and race mission for fun I will but it would be nice to get a bit of a bonus as well.

I think im a big enough boy at age 55 to know when I have had enough of a good thing and when to stop.

I have been doing it this way for the past 3 years and if anything my enjoyment of the game has just grown and grown.

when im done with the floater mission I will chill on the dance floor and hunt for eggs and build sandcastles and race my powerboard and do anything else the devs can dream up, and all the time I will enjoy my stay cos that's what a holidays all about.

• captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. Main Toon - Park on Risa
    2. Main Toon - Use Floater 5 minutes
    3. Main Toon - Get New "Pearls"
    4. Main Toon - Rinse and Repeat 1-3 for 25 days
    5. Main Toon - Collect Ship
    6. Main Toon - Leave Risa - Total time on Risa 125 minutes
    7. 25 Alts - Collect Ship if have open ship slot(s)
    8. 25 Alts - never see Risa
    9. There is my metric log it.
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
    edited May 2015
    I think im a big enough boy at age 55 to know when I have had enough of a good thing and when to stop.

Some people do, some people don't. The devs have to take the more conservative approach (because they're not just building a game for the people who can stop themselves from grinding too far).

I'll sound off on my love of the risan event as well but what won't stop that is the restriction to only one floater run per day. There's so much else to enjoy that moderating the grinding target is more or less a moot point. Its going to feature less than it did previous years but it'll still feature, just not in perfect line to my specific tolerances.

I can deal with that (especially if there add another activity like they've done previously.)
    edited May 2015
    1. Main Toon - Park on Risa
    2. Main Toon - Use Floater 5 minutes
    3. Main Toon - Get New "Pearls"
    4. Main Toon - Rinse and Repeat 1-3 for 25 days
    5. Main Toon - Collect Ship
    6. Main Toon - Leave Risa - Total time on Risa 125 minutes
    7. 25 Alts - Collect Ship if have open ship slot(s)
    8. 25 Alts - never see Risa
    9. There is my metric log it.

1. park 3 main toons at risa do floater mission with 3 main toons.
    2. play character 1 on other risa stuff till I have had enough. (anything from 3 to 8 hours a day depending on family & work)
    3. rinse and repeat 2. but after the floater event playing character 2 on the 2nd day and character 3 on the third day and keep cycling between my 3 main characters till the end of the event or until I feel like its time to leave.

these are my metrics and the new changes will not change them one iota whether there are extra rewards to be had for the floater mission or not.
    unless by slotting the ship mission on one character you are positively prohibited from running the floater mission on other characters, if this is the case I will be disappointed but not enough to kick up a fuss.

edited May 2015
    Some people do, some people don't. The devs have to take the more conservative approach (because they're not just building a game for the people who can stop themselves from grinding too far).

I'll sound off on my love of the risan event as well but what won't stop that is the restriction to only one floater run per day. There's so much else to enjoy that moderating the grinding target is more or less a moot point. Its going to feature less than it did previous years but it'll still feature, just not in perfect line to my specific tolerances.

I can deal with that (especially if there add another activity like they've done previously.)

I am sure most players are sensible enough to know when they have a played a certain thing enough.
    if some other players are so dumb they don't know when they have had enough and need someone to hold their hand and nurse maid them that's their problem.
    why should other player who are sensible enough to know themselves when they have had enough fun for one day have to suffer deprivation because of a small minority.

I am sure if the devs were at all worried about players burning out they would limit the time you can be logged into the game but we can play for 24hrs a day if we wish without any fear of being forced to stop.

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People said the same thing when Lobi was bound to character. Or did you forget that?

except lobi ships are not account wide...

if the ship drop item is account wide... my account has 9 toons... I run it 9 times a day and claim 360 move it all to 1 toon and repeat for 3 days till I have enough to claim ship, 1000 items... claim ship on one toon and unlock for alll and stop logging in.

their metrics goes to hell. 3 days of log ins vs 25 days of log ins.

their metrics show active accounts... not how long you log on and play each day.