test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Uniforms

chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Romulan Discussion
There are some requests that just need to never be given up on. One of them is Republic clothing options.

We know the pieces that are missing from Star Trek canon, but there are some excellent Republic concept art ideas that were never acted on. All of it comes from Joshua A. Guglielmo (http://jag-artist.org/), and most of it with the Cryptic stamp.

I know a lot of this has been posted before, so instead of necroposting I've collected the images here to enjoy anew. A lot of the stuff, you can see where the current lineup of uniforms took pieces or drew inspiration from. But so much of this is absolute gold.

Even if they sold these uniforms in separate costume packs - the Republic Fleet, Republic Allies, and Republic Civilian packs for 500 ZEN each - my money would be flowing like a river to pick these things up.

Republic Fleet stuff
Uniform
Uniforms...?

Republic Allies stuff
Federation
Klingon
Reman variants

Republic Civilian stuff
Civilian lineup 1
Civilian lineup 2
Male head options
Female head options

If any of this was added to the game, that would be incredible. This is top-quality work that I think would be very, very well received by the community.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So looking over the concept art. Why did we get the often silly looking rank shoulder pads instead of the ones he drew that look awesome with the uniforms?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think we got many of those, but I do support finishing the detailing on the ones that didn't make the cut and add them to the game.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wanted those 2 dresses from the concept art ever since that image was first posted. Alas, it never happened, and probably never will <sigh>

But we can keep dreaming, and keep hoping.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    Wanted those 2 dresses from the concept art ever since that image was first posted. Alas, it never happened, and probably never will <sigh>

But we can keep dreaming, and keep hoping.

Frig, most of that concept art is just incredible. I'd love to see it all on a revamped New Romulus. Much better than all the civilians running around in refugee gear.
  • wotertoolwotertool Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I love his sketches and drawings, especially clothes and hairstyle which didn't make it into the game.

Though I kinda think that his "Romulan Market" is a little bit too old looking for a recently founded 25th century homeworld.

I hope that the rest of his ideas will come within the next seasons
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agreed, love his artwork. The fan hairstyle, and uniforms for females shown would be nice. Really like the Romulan admiral pads, I think those are what the Fleet Admiral ones are based on, no?
    edited May 2015
    Agreed, love his artwork. The fan hairstyle, and uniforms for females shown would be nice. Really like the Romulan admiral pads, I think those are what the Fleet Admiral ones are based on, no?

I think so, yeah. There are definitely a lot of linkages, where you can see that these sketches influenced some of the options we have now. The stuff in in the second civilian lineup for instance - those are the pants, the male off-duty shirts, the female skirt and accents, and so on.

For whatever reason though, they decided to cut out what would've been some of the most unique options.
  • tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I so wish I could use the outfits at 7 and 10 on civilian lineup 2. The dress with that short cape and....the Romulan milk maid dress (only thing I can call it. *squees*)

Also.....#2....why aren't there kids? It would have been awesome to see kids running around Virinat.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Frig, most of that concept art is just incredible. I'd love to see it all on a revamped New Romulus. Much better than all the civilians running around in refugee gear.

Well who knows. ESD got attacked and we got a new interior. Now Qo'noS and New Rom have both been attacked. Hopefully when the war is over they'll both get updated.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are still canon Romulan uniforms, rank devices, clothing that haven't been implemented.

The DS9/Dominion War era Tal Shiar uniform.

Rank devices worn on the collar in TNG/DS9 era uniforms.

Nemesis Romulan uniform.

You can't replicate all the color patterns that were done with the TNG Romulan uniforms. Those things varied quite a bit onscreen.

TOS male uniform gauntlets.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2015
    One thingthat would be awesome...a Praetorian Guard, or Proconsular Guard ground set for Omega Force.
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited May 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    One thingthat would be awesome...a Praetorian Guard, or Proconsular Guard ground set for Omega Force.

Like the guards in the background of this shot from Nemesis? The two guards at the door.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2015

I still like this proposal for a romulan ground set base to work off of... and Ill still say the Imperial Raptor would look best on the chest
    edited May 2015
    I still like this proposal for a romulan ground set base to work off of... and Ill still say the Imperial Raptor would look best on the chest

Republic Raptor on the Shoulders. :D
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited May 2015

Seconded :D
    edited May 2015
    An Imperial Guard uniform would make sense for the Republic after all. An Emperor needs his Personal Guard. No need for a Senatorial Guard when there isn't a Senate to begin with :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I still say it looks like a cockroach.
    An Imperial Guard uniform would make sense for the Republic after all. An Emperor needs his Personal Guard. No need for a Senatorial Guard when there isn't a Senate to begin with :cool:

Still repeating the same old tired and discredited claims? Even some of your fellow imperialists admit that the Republic has a senate. It's about time for the BS to stop so we can just fight to the death and settle it once and for all. *sigh* But first we have to defeat the insanity you clowns unleashed on the galaxy again.
    edited May 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Still repeating the same old tired and discredited claims? Even some of your fellow imperialists admit that the Republic has a senate. It's about time for the BS to stop so we can just fight to the death and settle it once and for all. *sigh* But first we have to defeat the insanity you clowns unleashed on the galaxy again.

It indeed is time for the BS to stop and D'Tan to just openly change it to an Empire in name because that's what it is. You do know how a Republic is governed? Definitely not by 1 guy running everything :cool:

What Romulan Senate? There has never been a reference to a Romulan Republic Senate, no decision ever referred to such a body for final approval.

Before the alliance was formed, on Khitomer, did you see any Romulan Republic Senators there? Any at all? With all the big wigs of the Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Republic gathering at Khitomer, not one Senator from the Republic was there? For something so major a commitment to the Republic? Or for final approval to go back on a vote with the Republic Senate?

Easy answer... Because there is no Senate in the Romulan "Republic." It is a dictatorship. At least Sela is honest about it ;)

Again, I support the addition of a Romulan Republic Imperial Guard uniform. Emperor D'Tan needs spiffy uniforms for his Praetorian Guard. Very fitting for a dictator.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Romulan Republic wasn't built in one day. It takes time to create laws which would let choose a senate. And right now we're busy with
    the insanity you clowns unleashed on the galaxy again.

Moving out of tents to houses also takes priority, methinks.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    There are still canon Romulan uniforms, rank devices, clothing that haven't been implemented.

The DS9/Dominion War era Tal Shiar uniform.

Rank devices worn on the collar in TNG/DS9 era uniforms.

Nemesis Romulan uniform.

You can't replicate all the color patterns that were done with the TNG Romulan uniforms. Those things varied quite a bit onscreen.

TOS male uniform gauntlets.

All those and other things.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Like the guards in the background of this shot from Nemesis? The two guards at the door.

Oh yes please! Also, while playing over the story on my Delta recruit, I'd like those Tal Shiar uniforms too, the capes n sashes.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Oh yes please! Also, while playing over the story on my Delta recruit, I'd like those Tal Shiar uniforms too, the capes n sashes.

All parts of the Tal Shiar costumes.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It was posted before, but yeah, I sure wouldn't complain if those costume/face/hair were added to the game.

In this link, I particularly like the 5 and 7. 5 looks like the "Firefly" like costume we have when we begin as a Romulan, and would suits the faction. 7 really looks like Roman, and would definitely fit in the lore.

Also, a Romulan Omega armor, that would be neat. I remember reading discussion about Cryptic planning to had a Romulan Omega armor, and the ability to use the allied one was placeholder, but yeah, Cryptic. Or perhaps it's just me dreaming.

Anyway, not going to happen, sadly. My money is ready for it, but Cryptic makes tons more by re-selling the same ship with a new console/boff seat, so...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This will all happen ... Just after they revamp to the Romulan Story Arc and add a proper New Romulus City with a proper Reman Enclave ... Right after the create a proper Romulan Republic Hierarchy and Government ... Right after they create a New Romulus Orbital Shipyard ... Right after they create a New Romulus Academy ... Right after they fix the continuity errors and add the end of the Romulan Rep to the start of the Solonae story line ...

Which means sometime in the 22nd or 23rd century's when Season 3030 of STO is released.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IBefore the alliance was formed, on Khitomer, did you see any Romulan Republic Senators there? Any at all? With all the big wigs of the Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Republic gathering at Khitomer, not one Senator from the Republic was there? For something so major a commitment to the Republic? Or for final approval to go back on a vote with the Republic Senate?

Easy answer... Because there is no Senate in the Romulan "Republic." It is a dictatorship. At least Sela is honest about it ;)
    We don't see the Federation President anywhere in STO. Or the Council. Perhaps the Federation is merely a dictatorship headed by Admiral Quinn? Nothing in game would suggest otherwise.

At least we've *seen* the High Council chamber on Qo'nos - perhaps the only thing that KDF gets over everyone else. ;)

The Republic has a Senate. Somewhere. Its just that STO isn't going to waste development time on showing it to us.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    There has never been a reference to a Romulan Republic Senate

someone needs to make a romulan character and level it and ACTUALLY READ the dialogue text if he believes this

the republic raptor would actually fit well there and look good yes. Do both, silence both sides, everyone wins
    edited May 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    Romulan Republic wasn't built in one day. It takes time to create laws which would let choose a senate. And right now we're busy with

Moving out of tents to houses also takes priority, methinks.

What houses? They're a priority? How long has the Republic been there already?

D'Tan has his Gleaming White Imperial Palace. To help ensure he has the backing of the Remans, they actually got solid housing. The rest of the Romulans? Tents. Still. But hey, D'Tan's got well built warehouses for his loots. Hey! Even Epohh lady has a tent still!

D'Tan has gathered himself up a good fleet. Dispatching Republic forces to meet the commitment of the alliance (you join the club, you get the benefits but you pay dues also). Dispatched to far away places to include the Delta Quadrant. Not to mention get into combat with losses to be suffered, losses to be replaced, losses to be paid for.

But you guys still got tents.

FYI, it's not a "Republic" when you're running a dictatorship. Calling it a "Republic" doesn't make it a Republic. And the Emperor doesn't exactly see any need to bring about a Senate. The Iconian War is a perfect excuse to push it further away.

I have to admit. It's a very cool Con Job D'Tan ran. The deception and the wholesale acceptance of people running to a "Republic" while it's really a dictatorship is great. I commend him on that. The ploy is very... Romulan ;)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    edited May 2015
    someone needs to make a romulan character and level it and ACTUALLY READ the dialogue text if he believes this

the republic raptor would actually fit well there and look good yes. Do both, silence both sides, everyone wins

Or alternate versions of both chest and shoulders. Like the KHG set. The first set comes with the armor with Republic Raptors on the shoulders, and a solid chestpiece, and a plasma battle rifle weapon, The Adapted version comes with blank shoulders and Imperial Raptor chest, and a plasma pulsewave. Also..the standard helmet should have a fore and aft crest, and the adapted a side to side one. And add a cloak option (Material. Not invisible. :D)
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited May 2015
    FYI, it's not a "Republic" when you're running a dictatorship. Calling it a "Republic" doesn't make it a Republic. And the Emperor doesn't exactly see any need to bring about a Senate. The Iconian War is a perfect excuse to push it further away.

FYI, it's not a dictatorship when you haven't been shown an election in a fictional story. Federation President Jareesh-Inyo in DS9 was never shown being elected becasu they nad no need to show it. To follow your example, I am supposed to assume that that means that he is an unelected dictator, despite the Federation being clearly described as a representative government, with an elected council. Likewise, there are muliple references to the form of governemnt that the Republic operates under. IT has a Proconsul, a senate, etc. The devs simply don't have the time (Or the desire, unfortunately) to flesh out the Republic's society just to satisfy naysayer's like you.

Second.....Gleaming White IMperial Palace? I've heard this one before, and it always makes me laugh.

http://www.mmogratis.com/imgs/STT-interview-rw10.jpg

Note the large city. With the Senate rotunda in the middle. Clearly patterned after the center of Ki Baratan in Nemesis.

Thirdly, addressing the tents, i have four words. Gameplay and Story Segregation. THe devs will not change the Staging area map too much, because to do so would require tons of extra work to restructure the place to retain the ways to earn Romulan marks. We would all love to have a lot of the former staging area stuff move inside the city, and i've seen suggestions as to what could happen. BUt it's not likely too. New Romulus and hte Staging area has't changed much at all since it was released back in November 2012. And it is unlikely to do so in the future, unless the Devs decide to go and revamp it, which is somewhere between Qo'noS revamp and T7 ships on their to do list.
    3T6cHqb.png